Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A Modern Parable #80573 05/10/07 05:46 PM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
A Japanese company (Toyota) and an American company (General Motors) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River . Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action. Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.

Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion. They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager. They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 1 person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program,' with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rower. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices and bonuses.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India.

Sadly, the End.

Sad, but oh so true! Here's something else to think about: Ford has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US, claiming they can't make money paying American wages. Toyota has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US

The last quarter's results:

Toyota makes 4 billion in profits while Ford racked up 9 billion in losses. Ford folks are still scratching their heads.

IF THIS WASN'T SO SAD IT MIGHT BE FUNNY!

Re: A Modern Parable #80574 05/10/07 11:59 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Thank goodness that Japanese company doesn't make canoes. They don't come with oars, they come with paddles. If you want a nice 8 person rowing shell with a seat for the coxwain, there are some great US companies that make them! smile

Re: A Modern Parable #80575 05/11/07 01:12 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Well, it could be what I always knew as a "war canoe" which would hold 8 or more people. I have spent time paddling one of them and you better learn to work as a team!

The only other boat I know of that has 8 positions plus a coxswain (person who steers) is a crew shell. Also have spent some time around them.

Re: A Modern Parable #80576 05/11/07 01:14 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sandy, I found the very interesting however, I wansn't sure if I should laugh or cry?? laugh confused frown

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: A Modern Parable #80577 05/11/07 08:34 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
... are you sure that was an American company ??
Could just as easily have been a British one!

confused

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: A Modern Parable #80578 05/11/07 10:36 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great story!!! It is the reason Ford lost 9 billion last year.

I was reading that over the last few years GM has started cutting upper management jobs and in 2006 they had there best year in 20 years. Think they finally figured it out! Now if Ford could do the same before they go belly up.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: A Modern Parable #80579 05/11/07 11:26 AM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Definitely makes you wonder about the future!
This scenario also sounds like our government, doesn't it? Always spending tons of money for studies, but how often does anything improve because of the studies? Then they usually do more than one, which of course, conflict. After alot of time and money passes...there usually isn't money left to do the improvement anyway! frustrated

Debbie
Re: A Modern Parable #80580 05/13/07 04:46 PM
TDSimpson Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I just finished reading the above story and I will just keep my opinions of it to myself. As me and my fellow FORD workers will keep going to work wondering if our plant will be the next one to close or in my case be sold or closed by 2008, we can't help reflecting on how a company who lost $12.9 billion dollars last year can justify giving a member of management a 39 million dollar BONUS for 4 months of work.

As was stated by a columnist in the Cleveland Plain Dealer, one third of this bonus would pay the yearly wages and benefits of the 1200 people who are going to lose their jobs at the to be closed Cleveland Casting Plant. It just seems sad to me that in general I think most people still place the blame of the American auto industry problems on the wages/benefits of us autoworkers. Sure we make a good wage and have good benefits but we also give a lot back in donations to various charities and also to the economy in general in the things we purchase. We are not the ones outsourcing our jobs to foreign companies, management and NAFTA is taking care of that for us.

I for one will continue to BUY AMERICAN.

Tom

Re: A Modern Parable #80581 05/13/07 09:23 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Tom,

I'm truly sorry about the insults that were thrust upon you. I'm sure that the writers didn't mean it. It's just frustration -- I think. I hope. I pray.

bobo

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 929 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users