Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G.L.O.W.'s that Glow #79897 01/12/04 04:32 AM
Lightseeker Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
It's been a couple weeks since the new releases were announced on the HL website, and while there have been forum discussions about some specific items, the silence has been deafening with respect to what was arguably the biggest announcement: lighted GLOW's.

Maybe this adds credence to the other current topic in the FSB: dwindling participation in the Forums. A year ago, the FSB would have been ablaze with impassioned posts arguing the pros and cons of this move by Y&A.

Admittedly, many "hard-core" investors - oops - collectors consider GLOW's to be such an abomination as to be unworthy of any comment at all. But many of us who value detail, craftsmanship, and architectural accuracy over scarcity and profit potential are happy to include GLOWS's in our collection. So if you fall into the latter group, what say you? Is it a good thing, a bad thing, or - as interest to date has indicated - a non-event?

Bruce

Re: G.L.O.W.'s that Glow #79898 01/12/04 06:21 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
It's a GOOD thing!

I've been waiting very impatiently for Oak Island to finally become available.

As to lighted HL's, I know it's not a GLOW, but after totally enjoying the lighted Christmas piece of Stratford,CT...complete w/ flashing beacon, and VERY nicely done, the lighted GLOWS are going to be terrific.

Here's one collector who can say nothing but possitive things for Glows. The detail is outstanding, and I am happy to include them.

Judy smile

Judy
Re: G.L.O.W.'s that Glow #79899 01/12/04 09:46 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I do feel that the lighted GLOWS and LE look more realistic as compared to the solid lantern rooms, however, the additional costs to produce these pieces may be detrimental in the long run for both GLOWS and LEs. I for one do not buy GLOWS because of the large numbers of each one being produced, but, I can understand why new collectors buy them. I know I would get discouraged if I were a new collector and was trying to build a collection if I had to buy LEs off the secondary market. I think the addition of lighted GLOWS will help separate the GLOW from the LE and this may help me in feeling different about GLOWS overall.

Rich
Re: G.L.O.W.'s that Glow #79900 01/12/04 10:18 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
But many of us who value detail, craftsmanship, and architectural accuracy over scarcity and profit potential are happy to include GLOWS's in our collection.
I'm on autoship and buy all the limited editions. I'm not on autoship for GLOW's. Like many of my fellow collectors, I'm fast running out of room to display and store HL's. Eliminating GLOW's from my purchases has substantially slowed the filling of my storage area. As a matter of fact, I can only display about 1/3 of my collection at a time. Therefore, 2/3's remains in storage. Currently, I have no GLOW's on display.

GLOW's are extremely well done but for the reasons listed above, I don't buy them anymore. I did buy the Nauset GLOW last year but it remains in its box in storage. I may consider buying the Castle Hill GLOW, but it too may just be put in storage.

The fact that GLOW's may come lighted does not catch my interest. I do not like having an outlet to plug in an AC adapter built into the base. I do like the fact that the lantern room is not just painted like in the past. Perhaps this could be introduced into some of the future LE's. Maybe even a mini Fresnel Lens could be incorporated into the lantern room. Do it without the ability of lighting, and I will approve.

cool Bob cool

Re: G.L.O.W.'s that Glow #79901 01/12/04 10:39 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Keep those GLOWs glowing, and I would like to see them go all the way back to the old GLOWs and revamp them to glow, too. I would collect some of them with this new feature!!

Jim

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,582 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users