Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lighthouse "gifts" #79865 04/29/06 02:39 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
After 7 years, there are a lot of people that are connected to me that know I like lighthouses. Everything from teachers to family friends knows about it.

They seem to remember this every time they're in a store and see SOMETHING with a lighthouse on it. Now, there's a lot of crap out there with lighthouses on it. Somehow, a lot of it finds its way into my house.

Now, I don't mind the odd Scassis or Spoontiques (they're nothing like HLs, but at least they're sort of nice). And calendars are always welcome. News clippings are ESPECIALLY welcome. If there's a really, really cool thing, like an old soda bottle from a place in Rockport, MA that an old art teacher got me, then I really like that.

But I do NOT need to have a set of cheap ceramic magnets. Or an ugly resin lighthouse. Or some weird picture thing.

When I "purged" my room a few months ago, I filled up a big box with all this stuff. I don't want to throw it out, becuse I'm kind of sentimental, and I'd feel bad after people thought of me to buy it. But I DON'T WANT IT!!!

Does anyone else go through this issue? Or is it just me?

Re: Lighthouse "gifts" #79866 04/29/06 02:50 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Oh, yea, Greg...

When I started collecting Harbour Lights, I had to tell my Mother I didn't want anything else with lighthouses on it. But still that's what I got from her - from homemade wall hangings to ornaments.

Just smile and say "Thank you so much for your thoughtful gift! I love it."

Re: Lighthouse "gifts" #79867 04/30/06 03:20 AM
beachcomber Offline
In the first years of my collection, I received some of the same kind of stuff which you have, Greg. A friend suggested that, whenever I told someone that I am a lighthouse collector, I qualify my statement by saying "collector of historically (or authentically) reproduced lighthouses" - not necessarily in those words. Amazingly, it has worked for me. Once people understand, they stick to items with real lighthouses on them like calendars and the much valued news clippings, etc. Once in a while, I'll get a gag gift like a Jupiter Inlet pen I have. Actually it looks pretty cool. The pen is the lighthouse itself and, when it's not in use, it's in the base with landscaping around it like the real one! cool

beachcomber
Re: Lighthouse "gifts" #79868 04/30/06 08:55 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
When I get an unwanted gift, I hang on to it for awhile and then give it away if it is an OK item or may just toss it when no one is looking. Most people aren't going to remember long term what they gave you and besides it is YOURS now, so if you want to dispose of it you should.

I had a gift of dress pants and a shirt from my girl friends mother (who was very nice by the way), and I thought it looked ugly, however, I made sure to wear it once when I went over to the house. After some time had passed I donated to the Salvation Army were someone got to wear a only worn once outfit. laugh

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Lighthouse "gifts" #79869 04/30/06 04:04 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We know that problem too. If you confess to some hpbby like this, it seems everyone suddenly totally runs out of creative ideas for presents. We have made quite clear that we would appreciate if people could check first. So the family rings Stan to check if a present for me is OK and they aske me if a gift for Stan they are planning would be welcome. It works!
(But what do you do if you are on your own?)

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Lighthouse "gifts" #79870 04/30/06 04:04 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
In our club, we have started a lighthouse stuff "recyling program." People donate their unwanted lighthouse stuff to the club and we use the stuff in raffles as prizes along with Harbour Lights. Since we let people choose their prize when their ticket is pulled, other people get to choose what they want and what was an unwanted lighthouse artifact to one person goes to someone who wants it. If someone wins something they don't really want, they donate it back. It has really helped since we aren't getting as much in Harbour Lights donations as we used to.

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,573 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users