Saint
OP Offline
Saint
continued from the original discussion, found here

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79812 04/04/05 12:49 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I believe when the District of Columbia was carved out of Maryland and Virginia, what is now Alexandria was within the District. It later reverted back to Virginia.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79813 04/04/05 01:20 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Alexandria has not been a part of the District since before Jones Point was built:

Quote:
In 1789, Alexandria and a portion of Fairfax County were ceded by the State of Virginia to become a part of the newly created 10-mile-square District of Columbia. Formally accepted by Congress in 1801, Alexandria remained under the aegis of the new federal government until it was retroceded to Virginia in 1847. In 1852, it acquired city status and gained a new charter.
(from http://www.alexandriacity.com/1/history.asp)

For whatever reason, Shanklins think Jones Point is in DC. They need to re-think this and fix their listing if they have not yet done so.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79814 04/04/05 12:45 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by JChidester:
I believe when the District of Columbia was carved out of Maryland and Virginia, what is now Alexandria was within the District. It later reverted back to Virginia.
Never mind. I should have said "Maybe..." wink

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79815 04/04/05 01:06 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
In my opinion, if the piece is going to be small, along the lines of Sunken Rock, Ft. Washington etc., it should be modeled after a peice of equal stature. Not saying that Jones Point isn't small, I just am less interested in a small version of a big light than a smaller version of a small light.

Something like the Detroit River light might be a good example

Or the Copper Harbor Range lights. (Similar to the Bailieys Harbor Range Lights)

Just a couple of examples I can think of.

Mike

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79816 04/04/05 09:16 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
For what its worth. I would like to submit for everyone's consideration Windmill Point, Vt, (a state that has had only one light done in the past), or one that is similar. This is not a very big lighthouse, nor is it among the little guys. I think it has loads of class and would make a fine piece for us to consider.

What do you think?

WINDMILL POINT, VT

Bert

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79817 04/04/05 10:20 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I like your idea, Bert. Being only the second one, and I can't remember the first one from Vermont, would make it special.

Of course I think it would be kind of special if HL "created" a lighthouse just for CF Registered Members. Probably most would want a real lighthouse but if it were one created by Harry or one of the artists it would be a one of a kind and not a replica of a past or present light. Just think how creative it could be: on the grounds would be a bunch of people forming a "photo line" to photograph the lighthouse while there would be people in the windows of the tower or on the gallery with their WACKO badges flying in the wind waving or taking pictures of people taking pictures. What a conversation piece and they could even include Bill, Nancy and Kim somewhere in the piece like "Where's Waldo"!! (I use to teach art so you have to excuse me--sometimes I get carried away!) Anyway I think it would be quite a conversation piece to add to our collection.

Judy

Judy

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79818 04/05/05 12:35 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Size wise I think a light roughly the size of the Society "gift" lights would be large enough. Well not this year's if that's larger than the others have been.

If the edition size is small it wouldn't have to be a really "popular" lighthouse.

I tend to agree with Mike. If the replica's to be on the smaller side it should be a smallish lighthouse. And there's plenty of them still to be made. Lots of range lights. Another VT lighthouse is Isle La Motte. That's small and orange! Or pink when faded. THAT would certainly be different. But then it has a very nice keeper's house that if included would enlarge the piece. (I'm still hoping that HL will some day recognize Windmill Point as a regular LE as it was the first lighthouse on Lake Champlain to be relit.) The Isle La Motte tower combined with the still standing acetylene tower would be a neat combination. Constructed in the 1930's even those skeletal towers are quite historically significant.

How about the Cape Vincent Breakwater Lights, both of them, at their original location, at either end of a long breakwater. Small lights, longer, skinny piece?

Chicago Harbor Southeast Guidewall is a neat small lighthouse, and it's green!

Derby Wharf is small, kinda plain though.

What else, what else. Think small. Think unique.

Whatever, if this idea comes to fruition it would seem that some sort of nomination and voting process would be in order. Active forum participants represent many areas of the country so it would seem appropriate that each area should have the opportunity to nominate a lighthouse of their liking.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79819 04/05/05 01:12 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
The size turned me off for any of my suggestions. I'd like to see the 2 VT LHs that Mombo listed but not in a small size. We have to find something along the lines of 'Cold Spring Harbour' or 'Jeffrey Hook' which have some great detail for a smaller replica.
I would suggest a lost lighthouse to signify our devotion.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79820 04/08/05 09:38 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
It's been a couple of days since the last post in this topic. Maybe the original suggestion will quickly fade. Several of us have expressed positive comments labeling the idea as a good one. The only down point is the limited amount of people who responded as compared to the number of participants we would like to see respond to make this proposal a reality and a success.

"If you build it, they will come....?"

Maybe I'll prepare something for the Voting Booth to see how many people may support this project. It will be of the utmost importance that people who may be interested in this project repond at the Voting Booth. Obviously, we need numbers to make this work.

shocked Bob shocked

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79821 04/08/05 02:19 PM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Bob,

There is probably more interest than you will ever see verbalized here in the thread. From my experience with the different Forum projects, there are many members who very regularly follow the goings on but do not always respond.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79822 04/08/05 03:55 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I've posted the first poll dealing with some of the initial thoughts about a special edition HL recognizing the Collector Forums. Additional polls will follow as needed. Pleae check out the "Voting Booth" thread and cast your choices.

smile Bob smile

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79823 04/09/05 10:27 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
You will have no problems selling a 500 edition.
The fact that it is a small limit will make more collectors want it. If you keep the price to around $35 you should be able to sell two to a wacko/superwacko. There is over 100 wacko/superwacko, so that would get you near the half sell limit right up front. You will see collectors come out of the wood works for this one.

But I do believe you have to keep the production number down to 500 and the price no more than $50 if we are to sponsor it. If Harbour Lights wants to make a special edition honoring the Forum and is willing to take on the expense that is an other story. But if we are going to come up with the money we need to think on smaller price and limit. So far the polls are agreeing with this.
I think we know which way to go with the figurine, as it has been said before the biggest hurdle will be picking the lighthouse.

DANIEL
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79824 04/09/05 11:00 AM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Experience question for Dave -

When you were working with the Bailey's Harbor piece, how difficult was it to persuade HL, and how long was it from proposal to production? The timeframes, etc. for that project could help us with this one, as they are both pieces of the same limited base, it looks like of the same edition size, and thus the same cost to HL.

Your expereinces with that piece could help us plan this one.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79825 04/09/05 07:15 PM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The only similarity with Baileys Harbor would be the edition of 500. Baileys was put on the extreme fast track to get it done and available for the 2004 Walk. Normal lead time is at least 12 months from time light is selected to the time it arrives in the US. Patience is the key word.

I have suggested a LL on steroids - this puts it into the "mini" category. This would be similar to not only the Reunion gift pieces, but also the earlier signing event pieces. This keeps the cost to us reasonable, and allows for a retail under $40. Think about the point Daniel made - we may well need for some folks willing to buy more than one piece. Keep the cost reasonable and this may well happen. I considered the early signing event pieces to be priced low enough that they were almost an "impulse buy" for some folks. Hopefully they went on to collect HL because they were originally lured in by a cute little light that was not overly expensive.

Think about a light along the lines of Old Presque Isle . It has a fairly short tower and a small little keeper's cottage next to the light. It would work well in this size. As a bonus, it is supposed to be haunted....

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79826 04/10/05 11:58 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Well I wouldn't want another lighthouse with pumpkins or ghosts. If it's to be a small lighthouse I think the detail should be in the lighthouse itself, not in "accessories".

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79827 04/11/05 01:20 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I didn't say anything about a pumpkin or ghost, Sue. Just that the light was reputed to be haunted. This type light lends itself to the size of HL that would work well for the proposed special edition. Small tower with small keeper's cottage allows for a light at mini size, with a little larger footprint. (IMHO, of course).

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79828 04/11/05 10:59 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I guess another question would be, would Harbour Lights do a lighthouse for a small, private group like us, or would it have to be limited to a "Historic Building" like they do with Lighthouse Depot. Will that set a precedence they may not want to set, or will they make an exception for their dedicated collectors.

Mike

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79829 04/11/05 04:51 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Okay, say they were to limit us to historic buildings, which there may be a chance of. If so, then why not a lighthouse-related building?

Maybe a Fog Signal Building. Related to lighthouses, nice size, unique structure (I'm thinking the big brick ones with the huge horns coming out of it), and it has a major CF tie. It could be a neat "inside joke", kind of like the Bob Tree.

I would still like to see a lighthouse, but I think that if we had to, a FSB could be a very appealing and viable "Plan B".

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79830 04/11/05 06:40 PM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Mike, I think they would do a lighthouse but with a specialty number (600 series instead of wherever it would fall in the LE sequence). Precedent was set with Bailey's last year. Is the SB pier light going to have a special number or a LE number.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79831 04/11/05 07:51 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Well, I for one am all for moving ahead with this idea. I will volunteer to be on the committee, and do what ever I can with my (now) limited free time. (First things first we need to get everyone working on the same post.) Anybody else ready to jump in?

Mike

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79832 04/11/05 10:57 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Mike, I agree with you about getting everything in one Forum. I also posted this in the Voting Booth Forum and this is how I feel.

I like the idea of "A Lightning Rod and Green Water" on ALL PIECES. KISS(keep it simple stupid) is the name of the game . All pieces would have the same features so there will not be the extra costs of creating all types of variations with the paint. If we can't go with the green water then let's just go with the Lightning Rod and be satisfied. I like Melody's idea of having a drawing to decide serial numbers so that everyone gets a fair shake at getting a low number but I feel the profit should go to support the Collectors Forum instead of the lighthouse that's picked. We need to get this thing settled and on to the job of selecting the lighthouse before we run this into the ground and Harbour Lights figures we can decide anything among ourselves and decides not to do this for us. I'll take 2 of anything so let's get this show on the road and get them made before I'm too old to appreciate the special piece.

Rich
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79833 04/15/05 10:48 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
It's been awful quiet here for a while. Are we losing interest?

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79834 04/15/05 11:00 AM
catzb1 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I agree with Rich. I will buy 2 of anything also, but we need to get going on this! Anything I can do to help, I'm here.

Cathy

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79835 04/15/05 08:08 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
To keep this going I made a post were we can list our nominates for the C.F. Lighthouse.

nominate a Lighthouse

DANIEL
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79836 04/16/05 09:56 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I would highly recommend that everyone interested in this project check out the link Dan is referring to in the above post.

We were spinning or wheels for a couple of days but now we are starting to move forward again.

smile Bob smile

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79837 04/16/05 11:43 AM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
One idea I just got - if circumstances are such that it is possible, I believe that a very low-number piece should be donated to the depicted lighthouse. Even if we don't donate funds, I think that they should have one of the pieces.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79838 04/16/05 10:27 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
One idea I just got - if circumstances are such that it is possible, I believe that a very low-number piece should be donated to the depicted lighthouse. Even if we don't donate funds, I think that they should have one of the pieces.
First of all it would have to be a lighthouse that has an office or store or anybody with some type of relation to that lighthouse. Most of the lighthouses that are left probably don't have one. Not sure who the lighthouse would go to then. If there is an office or store for the Lighthouse, I think it would be a great idea. But not a low number. It is hard for us collectors to believe but most likely the people at the lighthouse would care less about the number. But would appreciate the Lighthouse. The Collectors on this forum do care about low numbers and since they are being honored they should be the first inline.

I believe John Childester should get number one or the artist Proof. John is Mr. CF
I think it would be nice that the person that nominated the lighthouse that we pick would also get an AP or a low number.
Then all the Saints should be next for a low number. These are the collectors that John felt deserved recognition. So I believe if Mr. CF feels that they are worthy of recognition and we should also. I personally would like to see a Kim enhancement at least for them, if not all the super Wackos.

DANIEL
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79839 04/16/05 11:56 PM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Daniel,

I would take it another direction for who gets what number (and trust me, I speak from experience). When the time comes, establish an initial order sign up period. For every light you order in that period your name goes into the hat. First drawn is number 1 and so on. If you had your name in 3 times, you would be drawn 3 times for number position.

This eliminates the "I never had a chance because I was on vacation when you took orders" argument and treats everyone exactly the same.

As a Saint and one who would benefit from the "head of the line privilege", I would much rather have everyone have the same opportunity to get the low number. Could also look at auctioning off #1 and first person drawn gets #2 and so on. I would not support giving a special number piece to the light being modeled. If there is an office or place to display, give them a piece to display as you have suggested. Just not a special number. IMNSHO

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79840 04/17/05 12:10 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
True, true. They should definitely have one, but have a "normal" one.

Let's not forget...Bill will probably want a few of the single digits for his private collection. Let's not get our hopes up on #1. Due to the smaller number and fewer oppurtunities for "giveaways", etc., he might not keep the first 10. But I think we should count on about 5.

However, we could very well be able to get him to take some of these out of the vault in a few years for some cool forum fundraiser raffles.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79841 04/17/05 05:54 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Greg,

I don't think Bill will keep any of these. The Lighthouse Depot is putting out a replica of Halfway Rock, Maine and it's numbered 905. They are advertising that the #1 piece will be auctioned off at the end of the Lighthouse tours for 2005. One thing that confused me a little is that numbers 2,3,& 4 are not available to those who sign up for the cruises. Only #5 to 100 can be reserved. Someone may be able to explain where those are going.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79842 04/17/05 06:54 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I think he'd want at least one for his "one of everything" collection (which I'm sure he has, owning the company.) Bill I'm sure has every single thing produced, including samples of things that are not lighthouse replicas, i.e. brochures and Reunion-type gifts. He also has something none of us can ever have, and probably wouldn't want.

HL803
Bill's Bills
Released: 1991
Retired: We wish
Edition: Too big

laugh

Anyway, I've gotten us waaay off track with this and the donation light....let's get back to talking about the real piece.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79843 04/17/05 08:43 PM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
We commission the run we get the entire run. HL maintains none unless they do an overrun and hold back some of those for historical purposes. We decide who gets what number.

Folks, right now you need to go to Daniel\'s post about what light to make and provide some thoughts. Don't worry about little details like these - if you can't show enough interest in suggesting a light and encouraging others, no use sweating these issues 'cause they will never come to pass. IMNSHO.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79844 04/20/05 11:34 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
1. Like the idea. laugh
2. I would buy a lighthouse. cool
3. If someone has less than 50 posts but
donated $25.00 or more to the site, they
should get to buy one.
4. Would like to see profits split between the
site and a lighthouse group in need of funds.
(Maybe other than the subject, especially in
the case of a lost light or one not in need).
5. Remember some of us get busy and don't post
all the time, but are still interested and
try to catch up when we do get time. smile

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! Part2 #79845 04/21/05 11:37 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
It is important that every person registered at the CF speaks their mind about this project. This includes the "silent majority" that visits this site but usually doesn't post topics and replies.

I would hate to see a final production number be chosen only to find that several of our members don't get the opportunity to purchase the piece because the entire run was pre-sold with no extras available.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,415 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users