Print Thread
A Flooded Market #79632 06/28/02 10:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It seems to me after browsing "The Marketplace" that a lot of collectors are either thinning out or selling their entire collection. A lot of LE's are being offered at less than retail. This has got to be hurting the market value of Harbour Lights as well as the retail market.

The Lightkeeper
Mike

Re: A Flooded Market #79633 06/28/02 11:35 AM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
REALLY?!

[This message has been edited by Rock (edited 06-28-2002).]

Re: A Flooded Market #79634 06/28/02 08:10 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Very True. The market is hurting and I think we can attribute this to my favorite of all subjects, the infamous GLOWs. While they are a blessing to the new collector, they are just the oposite to the older collector. I just think of it like the stock market. They are investors that buy low and sell high and then buy low, ther are investors that buy and at the first scare sell off and lose money, and then there are investors that buy and keep no matter what the market does.

I am in it for the long run because I love lighthouses, Harbour Lights and my collection no matter what it's worth. I invested hoping my collection would increase in value, but if it doesn't, so be it. They only pieces that I sell are the ones I buy to keep my HL addiction going. But, I would be one happy dude if the GLOWs disappeared.

Rich

Rich
Re: A Flooded Market #79635 06/29/02 12:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
True, but what I am seeing in "The Marketplace" are alot of LE's being sold for less than retail.

Re: A Flooded Market #79636 06/29/02 01:26 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
It's the Economy, Harbour Lights didn't flood the market! It's the Economy, Harbour Lights can make a GLOW of anything they want, the GLOWS have absolutely no affect on the LE market, none, zero, zip, it just ain't possible, forget about it. It's the Economy, Dealers don't have the cost's of carrying LEs and GLOWs, they couldn't posssibly have bulging stockrooms for any other reason than the economy. It's the Economy, the Secondary Dealers have all faded into oblivion because the darn economy is so bad, nobody could possibly spare the money to purchase a rare Limited Edition hard to find lighthouse. It's the Econmy, Harbour Lights not only makes the best, but they are almost exclusive now. Lefton, gone.....CSC, gone...... It's all because of the Economy, Harbour Lights couldn't have had any influence on which dollar was spent on which lighthouses. Harbour Lights has had absolutely nothing to do with any of it, no way, no how, it just can't be, I don't believe it. It's absolutely with out question all because of the economy!

Buy what you like, buy what you like, buy what you like, buy what you like....but....but....but...I like limited edition lighthouses, all of them, all shapes, all kinds, brick, wood, stone, steel.......what do I do.....This darned economy!!!!!!!!!!!!! [tic]

Speaking of the Economy, we were looking at our taxes tonight for this year. All I can say is, OH MY GOD, check your witholding! This new Bush Tax plan is crazy! We are witholding the same amount as last year and are way behind where we should be. Don't wait until April and have a shock, you better take a look now and plan!

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 06-29-2002).]

Re: A Flooded Market #79637 07/02/02 09:30 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hey Sean, do you think it's the economy? (LOL)

It's not just Harbour Lights. All the collectable companies are in the same "boat" on this one! It showed at Rosemont this past weekend. I can remember going to the show in Southbend, Indiana in 1995 and having a hard time finding Harbour Lights booth! Back then, the show was huge - two levels! It took quite a while to walk through it all! It wasn't hard finding any of the participating company at Rosemont - there weren't that many comapnies there as in the past. One of the biggest wasn't even there - Dept 56. They, in the past had one of the biggest booths in the show, a "no show" this year! Seemed to be a large crowd, maybe because there was not as much room to walk around as in the past! Time will tell if this will change in the future! Hopefully it will!

Re: A Flooded Market #79638 07/03/02 10:56 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I was surprised to see so few Harbour Lights at the swap and sell at Rosemont on Saturday. Only two people had a few lights, and they were, at least in my opinion, way out of line (Cockspur #22000 something, $100.00 for instance.) The last time I was at Rosemont, there were lots of H.L's to be found. Don't know what it means, just a little surprised.

Mike

Re: A Flooded Market #79639 07/03/02 02:45 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Well Mike maybe for starters some people have just lost interest for some reason and are deciding to sell their collections. And some may be weeding out their collections due to lack of space for the newer pieces. Some folks also sell higher numbered pieces and replace them with lowered number pieces. And sure depending on a person's situation there may certainly be some panic selling due to economic reasons. AND, just maybe some of these lights were purchased below retail to begin with so some folks aren't really losing that much money on them.

Re: A Flooded Market #79640 07/03/02 07:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did anyone go to Rosemont last year? Is this compareable to last year when a bunch of collectibles companys went to the Navy Pier show instead of Rosemont, Is that show on again this year? Maybe thats where the people and dealers/companys are at, spliting the crowd.... just a thought.

Re: A Flooded Market #79641 07/03/02 10:57 PM
pierhead Offline
Mr Thompson, this is for you: .................................................................................................................................................................................... ....................................................................................................................................................

[This message has been edited by pierhead (edited 07-03-2002).]

[This message has been edited by pierhead (edited 07-03-2002).]

Re: A Flooded Market #79642 07/04/02 12:59 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Sue,

What Mike was saying was that he was surprised to find so FEW people with HLs for sale. And, I agreee - the ones that were there were very pricey.

Dave

Re: A Flooded Market #79643 07/04/02 01:13 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Mark, I don't believe there was a show at Navy Pier this year. Just a bunch of collectible companies chose not to participate in a show this year.

How do you read it that way David?????

Re: A Flooded Market #79644 07/04/02 02:19 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
It's no joke Mr. Head......check your taxes before it's to late. We were way behind.

Re: A Flooded Market #79645 07/04/02 12:04 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sean,

I found myself owing quite a bit this year.

I went to the IRS site and checked them for this tax year and we seem to be OK, but I adjusted things up anyway.

I have never owed a significant amount in my life. I usually get money back- not alot , but i get ti back.

I don't like giving Uncle Sam a free loan of my money if i can help it.

Dennis

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users