Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fort Washington Exclusive #79397 09/22/01 10:24 PM
JeffMarsh Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
What is the reasoning behind this piece and of it being an edition of 1200. Is 1200 too high/too low. I would like to know your opinion and any facts you may have regarding this piece. I don't know too much about it yet, but it looks very interesting. Do you feel Harbour Lights should have exclusives at certain stores? Why or Why not?

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79398 09/22/01 11:44 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Until now, I never heard of this type of exclusive. I imagine Harbour Lights is doing this to take care of one of their great dealers. This allows the dealer to corner the market and make a great profit from the sales of this 1200 series. I haven't decided whther or not I'll purchase this piece. I like doing business with the dealer I have now.

Bob

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79399 09/23/01 01:01 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Quote:
I imagine Harbour Lights is doing this to take care of one of their great dealers. This allows the dealer to corner the market and make a great profit from the sales of this 1200 series

And there you have your answer why I dislike these kind of promotions. Why does a dealer need to be rewarded for selling, something they need to do, and then give them an exclusive that draws sales from other stores and an initial incentive to purchase from Lighthouse Depot. Great promotional advertising for just one dealer imho.

Now if the story was changed just a bit like Lighthouse Depot was donating a known percentage of profits to this Fog Signal Tower this program might be a little more understandable. I would be even happier if there would be exclusives only sold through lighthouse gift shops. There again there would be people that just don't care for store exclusives.

If this is truly just a reward to Lighthouse Depot for being a great dealer well hoorah for them. How about sending me something free for being an avid collector for all these years? I deserve it, darn it, and so do the rest of you, we all donate what we can to preservation and we don't promote our business or ourselves with every little thing that we do either. I do not mean to cast a fog over Lighthouse Depot. I know Tim Harrison does good things, but rewarding them with some kind of exclusive is not the way to go about it imho if that was the true intent of its being.

This opinion leads me to believe that this being a reward is not the case. I believe it's more likely that Lighthouse Depot is one of the few dealers that can afford to pull something like this off simply because they do have the premier store and mail order catalog.

imho

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79400 09/23/01 01:55 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
I wrote to this topic in the The Latest Models, so also see my comments there . LH Depot is without a doubt Harbour Lights biggest customer with the broadest distribution network.

Why would a manufacturer reward their largest customer? Cuz its good business thats why. Its smart to take care of your big customers. How many other dealers don't have to worry about cash flow such that they still maintain an inventory that offers Cape Meares or Brant Point or Ida Lewis Rock?

The signing event pieces are a different version of a store exclusive. For example, not every dealer had Sunken Rock or the special version of the HL banner sign.

A one off special should not prevent anyone from continuing to do business with their local dealer.

And I suspect there are many loyal collectors who have gotten something for free from Harbour Ligths including myself. Maybe not individually sent to you, but through club events, regional events, etc. I seem to recall a special Beaver that Harbour Lights gave to someone. :-)

Would I trade off a national distribution for the issuance of a very limited edition size - too small to meet the autoship quota? You betcha.

Off the estuary, off the rocky point, around the bend - nothing but FSB,

__
/im
[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 09-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 09-22-2001).]

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79401 09/23/01 02:30 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Quote:
I seem to recall a special Beaver that Harbour Lights gave to someone. :-)

Hmmm, a couple of years of running Retired@Retail and promoting Harbour Lights, Hmmm. Oops, that might be considered self promotion.

I understand what your saying Tim, though I don't really truly believe that this particular dealer needs a "perk". They market themselves so extraordinarily well! The bit about Event pieces, well maybe every dealer didn't get them but boy they sure are spread out every year and there have even been pieces for the Rep Events. I wonder how Rep Event Pieces came to be? Ahh you think maybe a couple dealers felt they were missing out of some HL promoted sales, Yah think, maybe?

It's certainly not a major hoopla to get all fired up about but it is nice to see some excitement from Harbour Lights to debate about. Ahh, there's nothing like trying to run the company for them!

I await this new addition with much anticipation. Oh and by the way, I really am not looking for a handout from Harbour Lights. What I wrote was supposed to be funny, tongue in cheek so to speak, poking fun at the notion that the largest Harbour Lights Dealer was being given the gift of a store exclusive that should sell like hotcakes. This is certainly got to be more exciting than the Bob Tree and even maybe the Pirate Bill Doll from Atlanta.

LOL

p.s. How about them Twin Golden Midas Towers for a gift? I might have to go have my Beaver dipped! Hey Harry, are you listening?

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 09-23-2001).]

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79402 09/23/01 03:15 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Here we are in the Fog Signal Building commenting on HL's very first Fog Signal Building (at least first stand-alone one.)

Seems somehow appropriate.

Is this going to take business away from other Harbour Lights dealers? Doubtful. The person who would spend $54 on this piece from Lighthouse Depot most likely isn't NOT going to buy an LE from their regular dealer because of this special purchase.

Just my opinion, of course.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 09-23-2001).]

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79403 09/23/01 08:24 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I have a lot of good friends who happen to also be great Harbour Lights dealers and I betcha they won't be at all happy about this special treatment.... This is not the best of times for a collectible dealer to begin with and they won't appreciate hearing that they can't offer a Harbour Lights product to their loyal customers but instead must see them go to a competitor as the only way to receive the product.

I will stand by my principle and by my friends on this and won't buy the Fort Washington piece even though I love the idea of the fog signal piece itself.

By the way we are regular customers of Lighthouse Depot and the fine products that we have purchased from them can be found in every room in the Brady home.

Paul

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 09-23-2001).]

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79404 09/23/01 12:30 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
I am buying this piece because as I have said before I am a collector of history not just replicas I have refused to buy some Harbour Lights because they did not measure up such as Chatham Ma.and Cape FLA. MY archetectural standards are pretty rigid when I buy at a price like hl's and I will buy from other companies if they produce a piece that Harbour Lightsdoes not and agood copy I like HL's But only the good copies not the mistakes I don't collect errors.and I have been waiting for Fort Washington for a long While.Even though I am not in favor of single store favoritism I am buying this piece.Bill O'Brien oseabee

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79405 09/23/01 03:00 PM
Hal Dean Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
This could be a new trend that Harbour Lights is going to do in the future. I am not sure.
I have collected Dept. 56 for many years and they did the same thing. They came out with black vans and other Christmas pieces that had names of different dealers on them. I think there was 18 or 19 different black vans. They had to be ordered from each dealer that had their names on them. They have not done much in the past couple of years on this trend as Dept 56 has slowed down quiet a bit. I have put Dept. 56 on the backburner.
I agree with John and I dont think this will alter purchases of Harbour Lights from your regular dealer by collectors.
Just my thoughts on this subject.
Keep the Flame
Hal

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79406 09/23/01 09:33 PM
RFoster Offline
I find it very interesting!!! The reaction of some collectors to the release of this bell tower, Ft. Washington, which is an exclusive for a single dealer.

I'm not about to sit back and try to judge how or why Harbour Lights markets their products in the ways that they do. I simply love the Harbour Lights products, have purchased them from various dealers, and will continue to purchase them no matter where they are sold.

I'll bet that some of the folks here (who are comlaining) even purchased the Pharos Collection from a dealer overseas without blinking an eye. I don't see any difference here with the bell tower, so why did you purchase the Pharos?

I hope that Harbour Lights produces more "exclusives" for individual dealers throughout the country. I think that the true collector would enjoy "the hunt" for them.

Thank you Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot for the opportunity to purchase Ft. Washington Bell Tower.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79407 09/23/01 10:51 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Quote:
I await this new addition with much anticipation.

Nuff said!

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79408 09/25/01 11:11 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
My opinion.....See Ron Foster's above!

Mike

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79409 09/27/01 03:05 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
You are wrong, Ron, in your comparision,

For instance, I had my Pharos ordered with my regular dealer... he didn't get them but he was scheduled to receive them.. I bought them instead from another dealer (in England) who had received them before they stopped their production.

This is totally different... these will not ever be offered to other dealers. Not the same at all!

Apples and Oranges... actually not even that close. Apples and Green Beans...

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79410 09/27/01 09:44 AM
RFoster Offline
You love apples, especially Red Delicious apples grown on the Riverside Farm (they have a unique flavor which you rave about and must have).
You like to buy them at your local Mom & Pop store (although they are also sold at the big chain supermarket in town).
The Riverside Farm (the grower of these Red Delicious apples) develops another strain of the apples that has its own unique qualities. For whatever reason (maybe due to the fact that the quantity is limited, or the big chain store sells more red delicious apples than any other store) the farmer sells the new strain of apples to only the big chain store.
Should you:
1. Buy some of the new apples from the big chain store and enjoy their uniqueness?
2. Forego trying these new apples as they aren’t in the Mom & Pop store?
3. Get upset with the Riverside Farm for supplying this new apple to only one store?

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79411 09/27/01 10:01 AM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
Answer: D. None of the Above.

I file a class action lawsuit for pain and suffering, which is settled out of court for a million dollars. Wisely investing the money, I retire at 37 and spend the rest of my life in philanthropic pursuits, including the elimination of vegetarianism and folk dancing.

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79412 09/27/01 10:34 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I love Apple... I bought my computer there..

but these are green beans..

I like green beans..

The Pharos series has nothing in common with Lighthouse Depot getting a Harbour Lights lighthouse exclusive...

My objection is that all of the great dealers out there working hard to sell Harbour Lights have no opportunity to provide their normal service to their regular customers..

I understand Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot's reason's for doing these, but don't think that the other dealer's are getting equal treatment.

Paul

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 09-27-2001).]

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79413 09/27/01 11:25 AM
FrankB Offline
My objection to this dealer exclusive is that if Harbour Lights is going to show appreciation to a dealer, it not be just for $$'s sold, but to a dealer which also, in turn, appreciates what Harbour Lights does for their business. My experience is that Lighthouse Depot does not have much appreciation for what Harbour Lights contributes to their business.

FrankB

FrankB
Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79414 09/27/01 04:13 PM
RFoster Offline
Paul, It sounds like your answer is "3."

I can only say that life doesn't always seem fair and that some things are out of our control.

I, for one think that Harbour Lights does more than any other company I know of to keep it's dealers and customers happy.

I am happy and will enjoy "the product", this new little bell tower in my collection.

FrankB, I also have had days when someone who is selling Harbour Lights is more interested in quitting time (or something else) than they are in customer service and being a good dealer and representative for the products they sell and the companies they represent. I think you did Harbour Lights, as well as Lighthouse Depot, a service by letting them know the experience you had with the ornaments. I'm sure there were corrections made from within.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

[This message has been edited by RFoster (edited 09-27-2001).]

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79415 10/01/01 03:44 AM
JeffMarsh Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
I'm all for the line of fog signal buildings. I think it is a great creative idea and hope it expands on that. I'm not too thrilled about the edition size for an exclusive, though I understand that a store would have trouble selling 4000 pieces of one design. It's too easy to be left out of the loop. It was only recently that I have found out about these forums. In fact it was a day after registration for the Baltimore reunion started. By the time I called I was 95 on the waiting list. I am only able to go because of a recent cancellation. I have been getting a lot of valuable information from these forums with input from friends all over the country. What a valuable resource! But can I rely on getting it in a timely manner. If I'm away from the computer because of business, being sick, etc...With as many Harbour Lighters out there, 1200 pieces should go very quick. I have been collecting for just about a year. So most of the pieces I have been getting are from the secondary market. What a drag that can be if you're not patient. Especially when some people price their retireds from an overvalued secondary price guide. It's only been a week since this piece was announced on the forums, does anybody know if the Lighthouse Depot still has them available? I bought 2 so that makes it 1198 left. I like the idea of the way Portsmouth was handled with a prerelease sale, though that doesn't help the people that have autoship. I wish I had a better answer. I have taken all the replies into consideration and have come up with only one solution for myself. No matter how Harbour Light handles this situation in the future, nobody is going to be completely content. So make the best of it, and keep the forum information coming. P.S. If it is too late to buy this item, I will have one for sale......at what I paid for it!!!!

[This message has been edited by JeffMarsh (edited 10-01-2001).]

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79416 10/01/01 11:16 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Yes Jeff we may not all agree on some topics and that's why we have the Fog Signal Building to see all the different opinions. Even so you won't find a friendlier or more helpful group on the internet than the registered members of this Forum. We are all very greatful that Ron got the word out on this one quickly. I really don't have an answer for your concerns about being away from the Forums while traveling, etc. I guess your best bet is to make some friends here online that might be able to pickup the phone and let you know when something like this is coming out.

Sean

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 10-01-2001).]

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79417 10/01/01 02:55 PM
JeffMarsh Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Sean, that is why these reunions are such a great idea. It puts faces to names and builds a lot of friendships. Not to mention, just having a great time!!! Hope to see you in Baltimore!

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79418 10/01/01 04:49 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I will be there Jeff. I am a host on all the bus trips and knock on wood I will be able to register for the Blue Cruise and make the 10:00pm late night Coffee on Thursday. Look forward to meeting you. Are you a member of any of the California Clubs?

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79419 10/01/01 06:43 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
If I want something bad enough I'll shop any place that offers it in fact I just ordered the full set of videos in the new series.Bill O'Brien

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79420 10/05/01 07:06 PM
L
Ladybear Offline
L
Will these pieces be numbered? How fair is it to the faithful collector on autoship to have his/her number given to someone else? Why weren't other dealers given a chance to have a dealer exclusive? I work for a dealer who sells quite a few Harbour Lights (may be up in the top sellers). Granted, Lighthouse Depot is probably the top seller, but we work just as hard, maybe even harder to sell our Harbour Lights. It just doesn't seem fair to all other dealers. I know, I know, life's not fair. But, it still doesn't make it right. I, for one, am very disappointed in the way Harbour Lights is dealing with this issue.

Charlene
Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79421 10/05/01 07:57 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
Taking into consideration the small realease number maybe HL has something up its sleeve that no one knows about or is trying something new.You never know with BY at the helm.Bill O'Brien

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79422 10/05/01 08:40 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Very true Bill. The next thing you'll hear is that another large HL dealer/seller is also having an exclusive. In today's market world, anything is a GO. Mum's the word!!

I say...just buy one! or two...

Christopher

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79423 10/05/01 09:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am sure if this works out you will see the Pemaquid Point fog bell tower and oil house next.

The Lightkeeper
Mike

[This message has been edited by TheLightkeeper (edited 10-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by TheLightkeeper (edited 10-06-2001).]

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79424 10/24/01 10:57 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Question:

Did anyone that ordered the Ft. Washington piece get a "backorder" post card in the mail from the Lighthouse Depot?

Just wondering, as I received postcards for the Fresnel lenses on backorder, but not the Ft. Washington. hmmmmm.....

Christopher

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79425 10/24/01 11:24 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
cavevader -

I received back order cards for all three.

Suzanne

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79426 10/25/01 12:18 AM
Larry Offline
I'm with you cavevader...only the lenses

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79427 10/25/01 12:22 AM
Jack Wilson Offline
I ordered my Ft. Washington online and received an email the next day saying the lighthouse was backordered. When I called their 800 number I was told that the message is created automatically because the lighthouse was not currently in stock. The customer service rep assured me that the order was accepted and would be shipped to me as soon as they came in.

I hope this helps,

Jack

Jack Wilson
Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79428 12/05/01 09:46 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Well its early December now.

In the LHD catalog it states that the Fort Washington, MD would be available in early December.

So, has anyone who had pre-ordered this piece received it yet?

The UPS man should be visiting someday soon....

Christopher

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79429 12/05/01 10:42 PM
Larry Offline
I just called LHD. Donald told me that THEY are expecting the bell towers by the end of next week. So, I guess we are looking at about 3 weeks before we get them. An extra holiday gift I suppose!

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79430 12/06/01 02:31 AM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
From what BY said at the tampa meeting sounded like it was a feeler for the new historical buildings.Bill O'Brien

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79431 12/06/01 01:28 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
It's not a good way to collect information on popularity. A store exclusive of 1,000 of a Fog Signal Building is naturally going to draw the Harbour Lights crowd in. If they're going to start tinkering with a new line they need to sever that cord. Forget about the Harbour Lights crowd. I think it's simply what it is. A store exclusive.

imho

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79432 12/07/01 11:54 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Was told by L.H.D. yesterday that Fort Washington would start shipping on or around the 15th. I, for one, can't wait. It's a Harbour Light, no matter who sells it!

Mike

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79433 12/07/01 12:22 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
No backorder yet on the fog building so I guess I'll be getting the expected package around Christmas.

Rich

Rich
Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79434 12/08/01 02:47 AM
Gary Toth Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Since this thread started I've been asking around in several other collectibles circles and apparently this whole practice is relatively common. One interesting discovery was in regard to Shelia's collectibles. I understand that they've released 15 or so lighthouse store exclusives over the past few years (and who knows how many others - lighthouses are not their main interest). The really interesting part, however, is that there are a couple of repeat stores in the group. I would think that if a non-involved dealer were to get upset over another store receiving an exclusive then they would really pop a cork over another dealer getting two or more to their none.

Gary

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79435 12/18/01 08:04 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Got an email from LH Depot this afternoon:

Quote:
...Ft. Washington was received this morning and all open orders were shipped by 1pm via Priority Mail. All orders should be received by Christmas.

Those who had an order pending should get them in a few days.

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79436 12/18/01 08:55 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great news John. I was figuring I wouldn't see it before Christmas. Looking forward to it.

Mike

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79437 12/18/01 09:46 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Gary,
I agree that Shelia's is just one of many companies that does this method of selling their products. I know Cat's Meow does it also. I collect both of these companies' lighthouse products. When at Navesink before the reunion, I bought a Cat's Meow version of this light at their giftshop. As far as I know, this is the only place to buy it! This makes it really hard to collect all the lights from this particular company! I think it's possible to contact the home office and get the address and phone numbers of stores local to a lighthouse, but this takes a lot of time and trouble. I think they do well selling locally this way, but it's got to hurt sales nationwide! IMHO

I'm still getting my Fort Washington from Lighthouse Depot, hopefully soon!

Re: Fort Washington Exclusive #79438 12/19/01 01:25 AM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Randy, The Wooden Horse in Narragansett, RI (401 789-3050) has several local RI lights by Shelia's if you need any of those. I too am looking foward to getting Fort Washington (in my autoship number, thanks to John)!

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users