Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Google your(lighthouse)self! #79027 10/01/06 12:40 AM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
This afternoon I spent some time visiting with my ex brother-in-law. During our conversation he asked me if I was like in charge of some lighthouse group because he found me while doing a search on Google. Seems he had been doing some family geneology research. Well we share the same last name but I couldn't believe he found me when looking for his ancestors.

Later when I got home I tried it and if I'd had the patience I may have found something if I'd been willing to go though all the results that the last name produced. So then I tried my last name plus lighthouse. And sure enough I found a whole bunch of my own personal results.

So try a search using your last name plus lighthouse and see what you get. I tried a few regular posters' names and got results. Kind of neat to see yourself out there in cyberville.

Re: Google your(lighthouse)self! #79028 10/01/06 07:46 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Very interesting, my cone flower princess! I'll give it a try.

smile Bob smile

Re: Google your(lighthouse)self! #79029 10/01/06 11:54 PM
beachcomber Offline
Personally, I think it's spooky! Makes you wonder what kind of info people are getting on you - no, not paranoia - reality! All kinds of fraud is being perpetrated because of the easy access of information through cyberspace. Very cool in many ways, but.... I'm going to try it with other combinations when I have some time.

beachcomber
Re: Google your(lighthouse)self! #79030 10/02/06 12:47 AM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Well, when it comes to paranoia, I guess I turned out pretty okay searching my surname with "lighthouse." This is, apparently, given a lot of help by the fact that I share a name with that of a certain very famous Great Lakes shipwreck.

It takes 24 pages until you get to me on the NJLHS board/committees page, where I'm the assistant webmaster. There's even another Greg Fitzgera** (try and help prevent this page from turning up on any Google rankings) that showed up on several IMDB records...but that's it.

Pretty interesting concept...it's kind of scary to think how much info is out there about us. I'm pretty careful with my CF postings here to not give out much information in the public forum. Pretty much anyone here who has corresponded with me outside of the public forums knows my surname...and in many cases, my address. But I try to be careful to not give out too much info in the public section of the CF community. I trust Wackos...I just don't trust wackos. If you know what I mean.

Re: Google your(lighthouse)self! #79031 10/02/06 01:16 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Greg, when you search you often want to use the least number of characters possible - opens up more possibilities for matches / hits, especially when a word might be spelled wrong. For instance, if I were searching for you I might search 'Greg Fitz'.

Re: Google your(lighthouse)self! #79032 11/13/08 02:50 AM
Tybee_Sullivan Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Holy crap! The first Google listing is mine!

This space for rent. Inquire within.
Re: Google your(lighthouse)self! #79033 11/15/08 06:53 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
searched for last-name and lighthouse ... nothing ... (proves my point ... I will not willingly publish my last name on the net!)

searched for Margret and lighthouse ... and appart from the suggestion that I might have spelled my own name wrong and it should be Margaret ... and I am used to that ...

the first site shown is our website...

Thanks mombo, I would have never thought of searching that way smile

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Google your(lighthouse)self! #79034 11/15/08 07:44 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Margret - you are not alone my mum is 'Margret' must be a European thing!
I will be in Engand soon and will be posting your Little Light Friday 5th December.
HCS

Re: Google your(lighthouse)self! #79035 11/15/08 10:09 PM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We have a service which forwards us all articles and photos which have hit the net each week about lighthouses. I also have had added to that service all mentions of my name which have hit the web as well. Each week I not only get feedback on my blog and any articles I've posted or commented on, (it's also nice to find out what people are saying about me and my website), I've also discovered that, lo and behold!, there are at least two other Roland Babineaus in the world. One is a kids' hockey coach in Canada and the other a banker in Belgium, (betcha the hockey coach is having more fun about now than the banker). whistling

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: Google your(lighthouse)self! #79036 11/16/08 06:49 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hilary, Margret means means pearl and is a Hebrew word. I thing our spelling is the original Hebrew. The one with the extra "a" (Margaret) came later and it is thought the old Romans added the A
Looking forward to the LL smile !! Thanks for your efforts !! Much appreciated! Nice to have such good friends!

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 651 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users