cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What caused or killed your H-L collection? #7883 08/05/07 09:04 AM
Stainz Offline OP
OP Offline
I started innocently enough. I had never seen those neat lighthouse models the collectible stores carried reduced. Then, while eating at a local Mex place on vacation, I saw a 'Buy two, get 40% off!' sign next door. That started it! Then, I found this site - and a listing for a local collector who had bought out a large store's H-L stock. I got many lights for 25-30% of list. Then I visited the local dealers... they were dropping H-L, and I got more bargains.

My wife's Harmony Kingdom 'Treasure Jest' collecting started about the same time... and still continues... at full speed ($1,700 worth in the last two months!). Interestingly, her 200+ pieces fit in one large all-glass display. My similar lized H-L collection is in three rooms - with ~40 now boxed and put away - just not enough room. Sometimes, those LLOMs - and a magnifier glass - sounds like a good idea.

My last H-L purchase was four years ago this November. There are no H-L dealers left within 100 miles of me. The only one I know of in the state is actually the one that started this madness - in Gulf Shores. I attribute my waning interest to that - and my having been spoiled by too many too fast - and, too cheaply. I finally had to feel good if I could get retail and free shipping. And - I had to order them through the mail - sight unseen. The demise of the club bulletin didn't help, either.

So, my interest would rise - and fall - due to the closing of local H-L sellers. Anyone else experience this?

John

PS Anyone have a delivery truck - and want a low-priced collection?

Re: What caused or killed your H-L collection? #7884 08/05/07 09:46 PM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
John,

Interesting topic.

My interest started with a climb to the top of St.Augustine light. That is what got me started. I fell in love with lighthouses in general. I first bought a Lefton replica and then saw the HL lighthouses. I also collected HL's like mad for a few years.. The only reason my collecting wained was because of me loosing my job.. I guess the reason my love for them have never ceased is because of my love for lighthouses in general. Sorry to hear your love for them has completely wained. Sometimes interest change, I guess the only reason I haven't got that problem is because of my love for lighthouses and the ocean.

Thanks for the interesting topic.

Rusty smile

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,024 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users