Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sad Event, Positive Ending #78626 03/09/06 03:32 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Recently, a local family lost a son to a roadside explosion in Iraq. This, obviously, started a whole string of events. On Monday, during a local radio talk program, the hosts spoke about the loss and the concern over the idiots from Kansas who had posted on their web site that they would be at the young man’s funeral. During the show, the grieving mother called in and shared that her house had been egged and that not only she but also other relatives had been receiving hateful phone calls. (There is a special place in hades for the people who did this.) Talk about taking things to a new low. Not sure if it was the Kansas group, but the police put a watch on the house to prevent further misconduct.

Indiana’s legislature has been working on a law to limit funeral protests, obviously aimed at the Kansas scum. Our local state rep asked the legislature to quickly pass the bill. The governor called in to the local talk show on Wednesday and said that the bill would never reach his desk – he would meet it at the door. The law was in place by Thursday, taking effect upon signature instead of waiting for a later implementation date. The sheriff and our regional state police commander were on the radio show on Thursday to discuss the funeral plans and the new law. One thing they stressed was that the law also applies to those making “positive” demonstrations (my wording) and encouraged people to instead line the route to the cemetery to show respect. The Patriot Riders motorcycle folks planned to be in town to help insulate the family from the low lifes. The service was moved to a church located at the intersection of two state highways, making it very difficult for the bad guys to set up there,

Sunday it snowed but the Patriot Riders still came, showing their respect at the funeral home. Monday morning it was foggy and drizzly, expected to be that way all day. The funeral procession was scheduled to leave the church about 1100, so a little bit before that I headed out to see what was happening. I had heard that the kids at an elementary school along the route had made up signs, so I decided to head that way first to see what was happening. Kids weren’t out, but this was:

Sorry for the not-so-great picture, but had to grab a quick shot as I started down an alley since the two ladder trucks were blocking the intersection. One of the trucks was from our department; the other had come up from a community about 20 miles away. Even on a crummy day it was an inspiring sight. I then headed up the route, as I figured a good location would be at the VFW. A few other folks had the same idea:

As the hearse passed by everyone paid their respects:

Towards the end of the parade came the Patriot Riders and other cyclists. There had to be well over 100 bikes of every type participating. Speaking of the ‘parade’, the procession was said to be over 3.5 miles long!

I have to say that I am so proud of our community for coming together to show their respect to someone who gave his life serving his country. The jerks from Kansas never showed up – one of the news folks said their web site blamed the weather for not being able to get here, but all the great folks in the Patriot Riders were able to ride their bikes to town in the crummy weather - you do the math . . . . Every once in a while the right thing happens. Most unfortunate circumstances, but the community sure came thru in a wonderfully positive way.

Re: Sad Event, Positive Ending #78627 03/09/06 03:41 AM
beachcomber Offline
This is wonderful, Dave. What a beautiful memorial to a true hero. Thanks for sharing with us.

beachcomber
Re: Sad Event, Positive Ending #78628 03/09/06 05:07 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
It's great stories like this that are not covered on the national news stations. Good people stepping up to try to make things better for the family of this fallen soldier. It sure brings tears to my eyes looking at your pictures Dave. However, it also makes me proud to see that your town came together in support.
Ruthie

"Good friends are like stars.......You don't always see them, but you know they are always there."

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Sad Event, Positive Ending #78629 03/09/06 11:34 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Ruthie, my station covered the event as our lead story and we feed it to both CBS and our fellow CBS affiliates across the country.. CBS used a little on the air that night in their evening news and it was available on NBC, ABC and FOX as well as their Indianapolis affiliate also had it as their lead stories that night as well.. I am surprise you didn't see it there, on some channel..

The photographer that covered it for our station is in fact a Viet Nam Veteran and did an excellent job on the story capturing the spirit of the community towards this fallen hero..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Sad Event, Positive Ending #78630 03/09/06 01:37 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Paul, I would like to think that maybe I just missed it.
Ruthie

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Sad Event, Positive Ending #78631 03/09/06 02:22 PM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Sad to say, but had the jerks from Kansas come to town the national folks would have given it more air time. Piece in the paper today that says they have decided not to "protest" (at least for the time being) in states that have enacted laws. Good news for a few states.

Lot of talk last week about the family that makes up the so called "church" that is causing so much grief. Don't know the accuracy, but the radio folks somehow came up with the fact that there were like 13 kids, 11 of which are lawyers. Sad to think that they can qualify as a church and receive the tax benefits of such when their sole purpose is to bring hate and discontent to people at a time of loss and suffering. Especially sad when you consider that the very people they show such disrespect for are ones who gave their lives to make sure that they could continue to put forth such hatred.

Re: Sad Event, Positive Ending #78632 03/09/06 08:49 PM
beachcomber Offline
Very well put, Dave. I didn't see any coverage here, but I could have just missed it - doubtful, though.

beachcomber
Re: Sad Event, Positive Ending #78633 03/10/06 02:13 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
The Kansas group decided not to protest at a recent military funeral in Wisconsin. Wisconsin recently enacted a new law regarding protesting at funerals. I think the large number of Patriot Riders and Vietnam Vets might have kept them away too.

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Sad Event, Positive Ending #78634 03/10/06 03:09 AM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Didn't reach CT to the best of my knowledge, but reading this thread moved me in much the same ways as watching the guard change at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers in Arlington. Thanks everyone for sharing.

Sandy

Re: Sad Event, Positive Ending #78635 03/12/06 08:00 PM
regalhobo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I've never been there. It must be very moving. Thats another place on my list of to go to's.

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

:) :cool:
Re: Sad Event, Positive Ending #78636 03/12/06 09:11 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Tom,
Tomb of the unknown soldier in Arlington is a must see, as well as the other monuments and the Vietnam wall. (which moved me the most)
I have been several times, all before becoming a US citizen and it really does stir your heart.
I'm proud to be a citizen of this great country, even if part of me will alway belong to England!
HCS

Re: Sad Event, Positive Ending #78637 03/12/06 09:41 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
We've been to Washington, DC numerous times since our honeymoon in 1979. There is so much to see, we could stay there for months and be on the go daily. The Vietnam Wall is, as HCS stated, very moving in its simplicity, but every symbolic area touches me in some way. Mom fell apart visiting FDR's tribute (this, after having broken down at his home and grounds in Hyde Park, NY). Amazing how memories affect us, especially in later years. All these tributes are there so that we remember our history, lest we repeat it (although I question that at this point in time, but that's a whole other story and I don't want to go there).

Re: Sad Event, Positive Ending #78638 03/13/06 02:41 AM
beachcomber Offline
Totally agree, Sandy. The memories become sharper, but we seem not to learn from the past - well, some of us, anyway.

beachcomber
Re: Sad Event, Positive Ending #78639 03/14/06 02:20 AM
Gayle Offline
This story and the pictures were a wonderful tribute to a service man who gave his life protecting our freedom. Thank you for taking the time to post them. The Patriot Riders sound like an amazing group. My brother is a Harley rider (HOG) and is constantly involved in fund raising and toy delivering to local hospitals.

We were able to visit Washington D.C. for the first time last fall. This city is truly our national landmark. All of the monuments and war memorials moved us but the Korean most of all. I would love to go again and again. I would never tire of seeing the changing of the guard.

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,052 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users