Print Thread
Can There Be Another Limited Coquille? pt.II #78610 12/20/98 11:06 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
This thread is a continuation of the original message of the same name.
Read the first 50 messages here in the FSB at: Part I

Well, what if it was a Limited Edition re-issue of Portland Head? [vbg] An edition size of, oh - how 'bout 2,563? HL could do this maybe once every two years or so.

No one is intentionally 'designed out' - its just another Limited Edition, albeit a bit more limited than the standard releases. At least as many people get the opportunity to buy one of these as they did when Burrows Island was released. And its not nearly as limited as, say NPL or REXA. At the initial release everyone has the same opportunity to acquire one.

I agree with you about the profit. But if HL can get close to break even, think of it as part of the cost of doing business. Its a marketing gimmick intended to create a sensation and draw excitement to the line as collectibles. And yes - the dealers would love it. Folks would pay more attention to displays, always checking to see if there is something 'particularly new'.

I'm not sure if I buy into this concept, but as a theoretical exercise the idea certainly is intriguing. I understand your concern, we'd have to see if this hurt the 'fun' part or actually enhanced it. (Don't have a clue about what you mean with reference to 'family atmosphere' being affected - other than the emotive value of the phrase). A piece with an edition size of 2563 might do a lot more to shore up demand than one with an edition size of 10000.

The market is supported from above not below. If the price of New Canal drops 20% there's little impact - if the 'accepted' street price of St. Augustine drops 20% this will ripple throughout the line. Insure the top is healthy and the bottom takes care of itself.

I do hope folks see the relevancy of this (admittedtly half-baked) idea to the issues developed in this thread regarding a suggestion to do a re-designed Coquille, etc.

Stirring Sean's pot at the FSB,
__
/im :-)

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 01-03-99).]

Re: Can There Be Another Limited Coquille? pt.II #78611 12/21/98 06:43 PM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Can there be another limited Coquille? Would be nice if they'd finish off the last 4362 correctly if they're not going to release a GLOW...

I personally don't care for the GLOW's as nice as they are...I don't have room for everything HL makes...I prefer the LE's because half the fun of collecting (IMO) is owning something few others have...as an example, I am getting rid of my Hatteras GLOW now that I've traded my 2nd set of 98 Reunion pieces for a revised Hatteras and an original Sandy Hook, both of which have never been owned by others!

I also liked the earlier opinion that perhaps HL shouldn't have raised the edition size so high so quickly...I know I'm more inclined to buy something I'm interested in if I know it won't be around long...

Re: Can There Be Another Limited Coquille? pt.II #78612 12/27/98 12:17 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
There are over 350 people registered to post messages here. We've only heard from less than 50. So let's hear what others think.

Can there be another "Limited Edition" of Portland Head, Cape Hatteras, or Coquille River?

What do YOU think?

Re: Can There Be Another Limited Coquille? pt.II #78613 12/27/98 01:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As I posted in one of the other forums, I would like to see a Christmas issue of Portland Head(FOR MEMBERS ONLY). As for Cape Hatteras I suppose they could do a new issue after the move(This would also give Harbour Lights the opportunity to re-issue both SE Block Island and Nauset).This could possibly be a new series--"RELOCATED LIGHTHOUSES". And seeing that they never really did a complete run of Coquille River, they should do a limited edition of maybe 5500 and give members first choice.---"the lightkeeper"--Mike

[This message has been edited by thelgtkpr (edited 12-27-98).]

Re: Can There Be Another Limited Coquille? pt.II #78614 01/03/99 06:22 AM
R
Richard W Offline
R
I hope that no one takes offense but the way I see the OEs is that they are closer to the "gift ware" category (although at the top). The fun for us is traveling to visit lighthouses, hunting for the LEs that we want and meeting other HL collectors. That's the long way around to saying that I don't care what HL does with OEs since I have neither the $s nor the space for them.

Richard

Re: Can There Be Another Limited Coquille? pt.II #78615 01/18/00 09:29 PM
Art Offline
Save the Forum Threads! Save the Kilobytes!

-Art
Re: Can There Be Another Limited Coquille? pt.II #78616 02/25/01 03:37 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Shave the Whales! Its baaaaaack! Bigger than 'Zilla, More Lives than a Glow, its The Attack of The Giant Portland Head!

Should there be another "Limited Edition" of Portland Head, Cape Hatteras, or Coquille River?

I say no!

BYG,
__
/im

Re: Can There Be Another Limited Coquille? pt.II #78617 02/25/01 10:56 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
An oldie-but-goodie returns froms the catacombs...

Another Hatteras? I think we have enough replicas of the "King of LHS" unless some friend of HL is going to open a "Cape Hatteras Only" store. CH-2 is one of my most favorite pieces!

Another Coquille? We really beat that to death before and after the issuing of the Coquille GLOW. No more Coquilles, please! Let the legend of the original LE live on!

Another Portland Head? You know, I could go for that as a larger scale Christmas piece. I have the LE, the original now retired GLOW, and the current issued GLOW. A Christmas piece of PH would be a welcome addition to every collector's curio!

Are there any other questions???

Bob

Re: Can There Be Another Limited Coquille? pt.II #78618 02/25/01 11:32 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Quote:
unless some friend of HL is going to open a "Cape Hatteras Only" store

Why Bob how did you know? I was thinking of doing that very thing [tic].

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 02-25-2001).]

Re: Can There Be Another Limited Coquille? pt.II #78619 02/25/01 01:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I vote no "reruns" of limited editions. Half the fun of collecting HL for me has been chasing into the back woods in search of the "hard to find "issues. (I still am doing that on some of the rare ones including HL111.)

Re: Can There Be Another Limited Coquille? pt.II #78620 02/25/01 02:05 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
I may be considered a heretic but here goes.I collect lighthouses.but they must be correct to me variations or mistakes stay on the dealers shelf.All this talk about coquille.that was wrong and is outside of my collection area (eastcoast) but if one was offered to me for five dollars the only reason I would consider it would be to sell it to some one who collected mistakes.my first meeting with harbour lights was my home town light Chatham.when I saw it didn't come into any time frame I almost gave up on them.I now have 85 harbour lights in my collection but all hand picked before buying. and this is the way I will continue. Bill O'Brien oseabee

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Can There Be Another Limited Coquille? pt.II #78621 02/25/01 02:34 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Since Harbour Lights puts a mistake (copyright infringement) on each one of their lighthouses on purpose, Bill, you must now sell all of your Harbour Lights for $5 each. Doing the math, I believe that comes to $425 that I or someone else would owe you (shipping free?) for the lot. I enjoy all of my collection, mistakes included and until someone does it better, I will continue to buy them all.

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Can There Be Another Limited Coquille? pt.II #78622 02/25/01 02:41 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
LOL Paul, I just hope no one else can ever do it better than Harbour Lights. I have to many friends at Harbour Lights to look at Lefton or the rest.

Re: Can There Be Another Limited Coquille? pt.II #78623 02/25/01 07:30 PM
Torchbearer Offline
What next... a brick by brick count for accuracy? Just teasing Bill. By the way, I'll pay for the shipping of those $5.00 pieces! My address is...

Until HL runs out of lights to duplicate, I say no more Hatteras', no more Coquilles, or any other light that has been done in every size, shape and form. IMHO

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: Can There Be Another Limited Coquille? pt.II #78624 03/01/01 08:14 PM
R
rihetzler Offline
R
I would love a Portland Head Christmas edition. They did Hatteras on the Move. Why not a repeat of a Christmas edition. Unless I win one at the reunion, most of the old "classics" are beyond my reach.

Re: Can There Be Another Limited Coquille? pt.II #78625 03/01/01 09:42 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
Besides the many lights that have never been produced how about color variations one I can think of right away absecon had 4 different day mark color variations point bolivar Tx had 2 variations.I would go for some of the different colors Chatham has several building and tower variations I think a historical series would be great.OK now I've put in my 2cents maybe some one else can come up with some ideas.Bill O'Brien oseabee

oseabee
Bill O'Brien

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,217 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users