Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Marketplace bargain sales. #78402 07/09/05 10:38 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Lord knows you don't have to look too far to find HL's at bargain prices. You can find them right here at the CF's "New Marketplace".

It makes me wonder why people sell their HL's for such low prices. Could it be a severe loss of interest in collecting HL's? Could it be a forced financial situation and the seller will take whatever he or she can get? Could sellers be trying to recoup part of their investment before the prices go even lower?

I find it hard to believe that someone would buy at retail, display or store those pieces for a few years, and be willing to accept a small percentage of their original investment to rid themselves of these treasures. It's too bad there isn't some charitable association that could accept these pieces as a donation and give the donor a tax write-off. Then the pieces could be given to the actual lighthouse depicted by the sculpture and sold at the light's gift shop to support the restoration or maintenance of that light. "One man's trash is another man's treasure" and such a program could promote HL collecting and possibly protect the value of these soon to be rare pieces.

Often times the same lights bring the lowest prices. Some collectors consider this group of HL's as "dogs". The first one to come to mind is Port Isabel. I just can't imagine why a 5500 edition size light from way back in the early days would sell so cheap on a consistent basis. I own five of them. Only one of them was bought at retail. The others were had for less than dealer cost. The pieces are a good example of the simple beauty of the original Harbour Lights creations. Why do people shun this light? Harbour Lights has even made a GLOW of this light so there must be some interest in it. Why would anyone spend money for the GLOW when they could easily track down the LE for less money.

New Canal is another early edition light that can be found for cheap money. I always thought the only thing this light had against it was its small size. Apparently, it too has the "dog" label.

I'm curious to see what you folks think about the "dogs" of HL collecting, and is there any future for these former treasues in HL collecting.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: New Marketplace bargain sales. #78403 07/09/05 12:52 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I, personally, like the dogs. Seeing as I have decided to create a very limited HL collection, only 2-3 pieces/year, it will give me the chance to build a nice collection cheap when it's time to get the next light in about August. (Though I want to get Price's Creek.)

I want to know why the HLCS pieces are almost always dogs. They're supposed to be limited availability, only for certain collectors. Are there that many out there? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Re: New Marketplace bargain sales. #78404 07/09/05 12:58 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Greg,

The HLCS pieces are issued in some of the largest numbers.

The free gift goes to everyone who joins and depending on the popularity of the Society Redemption Piece there can be more of them out there than there were of the 10,000 editions.

I'd say that the free piece is almost always larger than the 10,000 editions. So it becomes available in large numbers for a small price.

It is a dog only because there are so many of them and it may be of a Lighthouse than many don't care that much about.

Dennis

Re: New Marketplace bargain sales. #78405 07/09/05 01:21 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Good Post, Bob...

I noticed those recent bargains as well. Perhaps the seller was not the collector and they mean a lot less to them than the buyer.

But then it could be a great loss of interest on the part of the buyer and the feeling is "..if I can get 25 cents on the dollar, I'll be happy and be done with them.."

Your idea of a centralized donation station that would resell the pieces or give them to the lighthouse may have some merit, but it could be a massive undertaking. Receiving, inspecting, warehousing, packaging, shipping and reshipping, insurance etc.

Perhaps American Lighthouse Foundation? The donor pays shipping and gets a tax receipt for original retail + shipping?

ALF could sell some at retail in their new museum (Wells ME), collect and pass on others to the responsible keeper of the light.

But then ALF would be competing with Lighthouse Depot next door. Of course for the long-retired pieces, LHD could refer buyers to the Museum store (if there is one.)

For some people, a tax deduction wouldn't have as much value as 25 cents on the dollar.

Perhaps the Collectors Forum could organize a charitable, non-profit, to handle this and donating the proceeds to lighthouse restoration programs?

Let's see what others say. And let's get in touch with some of these under-market sellers to see what their motivation is.

Giving these 'dogs' a new home seems the humane thing to do!

Here's another idea: repackage these items as 'vintage collectibles' (new box, paperwork) and donate them to Children's Hospitals or outreach ministries. There are lots of "Lighthouse" churches and programs for the homeless and to feed the hungry.

Dennis - you are very right in terms of the high production quantities of the society 'gifts'. At the peak of society membership, I think the quantity was over 25,000. We haven't gotten counts from HL for the past few years.

Let's hear from everyone on this idea. Keeping values up helps us all.

Re: New Marketplace bargain sales. #78406 07/10/05 09:36 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Weeeeelll, I am still fairly new at this compared to most of you guys and by far a hobbyist instead of a sentimentalist or investment collector, but as originally I was getting a representation of the 30 some odd states that have lighthouses, and then the free membership pieces, I have now tried to commit to just one's that I have seen. I seem to be grabbing others though when I find one's I like, the newer, smaller issues, and a good deal as 1) it is somewhat of an addiction, and 2) I guess besides the one's that I've seen, and though I hope to never have to sell (nor probably will have no one to leave them to), treat them as some trade stocks or collect antiques; buy 'em cheap(er) then hope that the price/interest does come back later ...just in case!!! wink

Steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: New Marketplace bargain sales. #78407 07/11/05 04:05 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I ordered my Cockspur on the very last hour of the very last day and ended up with the number 23,215. Cockspur can go as low as $12 on ebay.

DANIEL
Re: New Marketplace bargain sales. #78408 07/11/05 04:11 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Daniel,

Maybe that was the very last one produced. Would the ranking position make it more valuable? laugh

bobo

Re: New Marketplace bargain sales. #78409 07/11/05 05:09 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I thought it would be the last one also.
However, John pointed out to me that that didn’t necessarily make it the last one.
HL does not sent them out in order but whichever number is next in line.
I did post this at the time and it wasn’t too much longer that Weasel58 posted one with a higher number.

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000031

DANIEL
Re: New Marketplace bargain sales. #78410 07/12/05 09:38 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Cockspur can go as low as $12 on ebay.
It almost cost that much to ship a piece with insurance at UPS. Then there is the cost of the box and packaging if you don't recycle.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: New Marketplace bargain sales. #78411 07/13/05 02:20 AM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Not many dealers left here in the NoCal Bay Area but what few are left all seem to kennel the same dusty and faded lost LE "dogs":

Chatham, MA
Ida Lewis Rock, RI
St. Joseph, MI
Sandy Point Shoal, MD
Selkirk, NY
Brant Pt., MA

Re: New Marketplace bargain sales. #78412 07/13/05 12:40 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
My local Hallmark is full of dogs. Actually, there's probably a CH1 in there, but you'd never know. The display hasn't been touched in years. Nobody buys them here. I'm waiting for an HL clearance one day to get a jump start on my collection.

Of course, I think that might be less of a "bad piece dog" and more of a "nobody cares dog".

Re: New Marketplace bargain sales. #78413 07/13/05 05:29 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Actually Greg, that is the kind of place that you want to beg, plead, or make any promise that you could to take a look at their storeroom. If the display case is that bad, they are bound to have some forgotten treasures in the storeroom.

Re: New Marketplace bargain sales. #78414 07/13/05 11:02 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Greg
Maybe that is were I got my London ledge.
Three months ago, I won a bid for a London Ledge
that had a picture of the GLOW model,
But said it was the Limited Edition.
I took a chance for $30 and won a Limited edition London Ledge that was never displayed. The owner was a Harbour Light dealer that found old stock in their storage room and put it on ebay to sell it. It looks brand new with that never displayed shine. I thought it was interesting that you can still find goodies at the dealers even if I had to go through ebay.

DANIEL
Re: New Marketplace bargain sales. #78415 07/14/05 11:40 AM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Where was the seller? You never know!

I might try to get back there one day to check for treasure...maybe armed with a list of things other CF members are looking for. I could be a little "cottage business!" " smile

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,209 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users