Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78113 11/16/06 10:50 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
As I have been looking over the Forums for the past few weeks, and especially the last week, I am asking myself this one question! WHERE THE HECK IS EVERYONE? How can there be 181 people viewing this site as of this minute and 51 of those visiting are Forum Members and only 3-4 new posts? What is the matter with everyone? Do you just read what others are saying and have no iniative to post yourself? What is wrong? Have you lost interest in Harbour Lights altogether or has every subject been covered? Don't you have any questions to ask or have we all become experts on the HLs line? Members ask if there will be another Forums Exclusive but if there was would you even be interested since you don't even take the time to enter into the conversations?

What can be done to peek your interest again? What would you like to see improved or changed or is it too late to rekindle your interest? Are you satisfied with the way the Forum is now and don't feel we need a change? And my last question is this. How many of you will read this post and not even take the time to reply with your feelings?

These are some of the questions and concerns that have been accumulating in my mind the past week and may be the rantings of an old man, but, I am concerned at the lack of interest that I've been observing. This post, may or may not reflect the feelings of other members, and is strickly my thoughts on the subject. I hope that I have not offended anyone and if I have I appologize, but, WHERE THE HECK IS EVERYONE [b]? [/b]

Rich
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78114 11/17/06 12:50 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Waiting in line for their new PS-3?

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78115 11/17/06 03:20 AM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We are still where, well at least I know I am still here.
And since the subject of the PS-3 was brought up. I have a comment about all the folks I have seen on the news, waiting to buy them up just to sell on e-bay for, one person said $1500.00.
My children are older now, but when they were young, I remember the endless search for the one gift they just had to have for Christmas and the hopeless feeling of not being able to find it anywhere. It just makes me sick to think that some people are buying the PS-3, not because they want it for themselves or for someone on their Christmas list, but for an outrages profit. I'm glad my grandson wants a trampoline.

Cyndi
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78116 11/17/06 05:10 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Novemeber 10th, 11th and most of the 12th I was either around St. George Island or traveling to or from the island (5 and 1/2 hours from home). Then there is work and errands. Watched a little bit of football. Posted a little but not a lot.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78117 11/17/06 07:55 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Well, I was here and have posted ... but ...
I read with interest what other people are posting. But I fell, I only want to post myself, if I got something to contribute.
And at times, there is not a lot I have to contribute. Other times, I am able to post items which I hope interest others. Then I do post!
Hope that explains it ...
But I must admit I had noticed the "quiet period"

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78118 11/17/06 10:39 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
How can there be 181 people viewing this site as of this minute and 51 of those visiting are Forum Members and only 3-4 new posts?
I look at it this way, I'm happy that 181 people were visiting even though they were not posting! At least people are reading what we write. I feel it is important to have people participate. The fact 181 were here at the time of your post, Rich, is a half-full glass to me.

Many of us will continue to post as often as possible. Hopefully, some of our silent friends will chime in along the way when they are ready.

smile Bob smile

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78119 11/17/06 11:04 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Rich,

It's a combination of many things- includinf just the cycle we go through here.

I read the new posts every day and I respond to those that I have something to say about.

I'm in a down phase of my collecting- I don't collect much right now for many reasons which has an effect on which topics I'm interested enough in to respond.

Then there are the posts I do respond to that just seem to cause bad feelings because I've related my personal thoughts which seem to perturb others at times.

Dennis

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78120 11/17/06 11:31 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Many things can cause a lull is posting about this time of year.

Most of us may be very busy with the upcoming holidays that we don't have much time to do anything else that's worth posting about.

Where getting closer to when the 2007 HL's are going to be announced. Posting will be bomming again.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78121 11/17/06 11:39 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I am here doing my forum duty with 2 to six post a day.
It is hard to believe that I can actually say something with an audience of 181 and not have half of them correcting me. I which I had that power at home.

DANIEL
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78122 11/17/06 11:53 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Then there are the posts I do respond to that just seem to cause bad feelings because I've related my personal thoughts which seem to perturb others at times.
Dennis, I love posts which are a little perturbing! It provokes response and thought! And so long as it is clear these are your personal thoughts carry on!
Well that is my personal thought anyway

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78123 11/17/06 11:58 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Dennis, I love posts which are a little perturbing! It provokes response and thought! And so long as it is clear these are your personal thoughts carry on!
AGREED

DANIEL
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78124 11/17/06 01:02 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
:rolleyes:

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78125 11/17/06 01:30 PM
catzb1 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I'm still here...just reading other posts. Most times I have nothing to add. We need the new Collectors Guide!!! We need some excitement! And, like Dennis, I've had some of my comments taken the wrong way also.

Cathy

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78126 11/17/06 02:18 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I've been wondering the same thing!!! But was afraid to ask!
It's been on the slow side since October. I figured it would pick up again after everyone got back from lighthousing. I know now it'll be slow because of the upcoming holidays.
I try to post at least once a day...granted I haven't had much time for thought provoking questions!
frown :rolleyes: smile

Debbie
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78127 11/17/06 03:42 PM
TDSimpson Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I have been a member of this forum since the old AOL days. I check in every so often to see what is happening but I don't contribute much because I have always felt like I have not been part of the "in" group. I have not always agreed with what Harbour Lights has done so I have learned to keep my opinions limited. I can not be 110% gung-ho with everything Harbour Lights. I still enjoy my collection and still add pieces to it but not like I used to do. It may take me ten more years to get to the Super Wacko status but I won't post something if I think it is irrelevant or to pad my numbers. I apologize if I have offended anyone here with this post. That was not my intention.

Tom

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78128 11/17/06 07:00 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I'm always checking, always posting...though I also only try to post if I feel I contribute something (though my bounds may be a little loose with that). I also have an issue with overwriting - I tend to turn a simple answer into a 500 word essay. There are many posts that I've written up that were good contributions, but kind of long...so I clicked the "X" and dumped the concept.

Why the lull? Well, we're going through a cycle, sure. But it also seems like the group that posts has been paring down and down for a while now. When I really think about it, there's maybe 20-30 people that do the vast majority of the posting here. While these people all offer great insight into discussions, I still wish more came.

We seem to have a lot of people also recently posting a few times, then dropping off. It's too bad, they seem interesting.

Maybe it's been a general lull in the HL thing that I kind of sense...not with values or anything, but in activity. Remember, even though we're both a LH/HL (I just realised that HL is LH flipped around...weird) forum, half of the stuff is HL stuff. If there's nobody discussing them, that's half of the forums empty.

Still, I think there's people who could add new points of view to the forums out there. Thing is, they have to find us. There's no efficient way to really contact them. And with Thanksgiving next week, and thus the beginning of the holiday season, I don't see any chance of participation picking up until 2007.

I still love talking to the small group that posts every day, and maybe the smallness and tight-knitness of it is turning people off...the typical "I won't fit in" thing. But we're always ready to welcome new people into the fray. We're a friendly group - nobody bites. Just because we're all Super Wackos (if not in title, in heart), and have been for many years, doesn't mean that someone new can't join in.

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78129 11/17/06 07:11 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm new since September and have only conversed with a few of you. I try to spark new conversation or old topics that get re-talked about. I don't think I scared anyone away...didn't get anyone upset and don't quite know what the problem is either. I jump all over the place as I have found that there "IS" alot to talk about.

What is funny, is that most of the people that I have conversed with are the only ones on this thread to reply back except for one or two I don't know....very interesting!

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78130 11/17/06 10:35 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Now this the way it used to be so why can't it continue? I have seen more activity on this one post then I have seen all week on all the posts. Who cares if you only have a word or two to post on either a new subject or a continuing subject. I sure don't and I would love to read whatever you have to say so please post it. I also love controversial subjects as long as they stay clean and don't lead to personal slaps and digs at people. We, as a group, need to take the time to continue posting so that this Forum may stay alive and interesting to both old and new members. It also is extremly difficult for the same members that post all the time to keep coming up with new topics. That is why all the Forum members should try and post at least 1-2 new topics a week. Ask questions and give responses to questions that have been asked. Don't wait for someone else to answer because that person is probably waiting for someone else to answer. And for anyone that feels his/her posts are not interesting enough or that they may cause some heartburn to someone else, PLEASE DON'T FEEL THAT WAY. A personal opinion is just that and no post is uninteresting to someone(s)else on the Forums. Now, I would sure like to hear from somemore of our members out there. And listen, don't use the holidays as an excuse not to post. Just give up 10-15 minutes of you least interesting football game or 10-15 minutes of your soap operas and post a few things. I don't get to come on during the week until after 6 PM now that I'm working full time again after 16 months retirement so if I have the time, you should surely have the time.

Another question that I asked was how we might improve the Forums or make them more interesting. I haven't seen anything on this so does that mean that everyone is satisfied? One of the things that has been mentioned before is a separate "Trading Post" for other collectibles. Not a trading post for your uncle's yard sale items but a trading post for collectibles like Hummels, model trains, sports memorabilia, Painted Ponies, etc. If I were going to buy a collectible from any source, I would like to buy from a forum member. Now that being said, I propose that we add a "Non-Harbour Lights Collectible Trading Post". I know that Bob M has mentioned this before. Does anyone else have any ideas they would like to add? Nothing is to say that the ideas will be accepted but who's to say that they won't be accepted. Let's hear from you and maybe the powers that be will accept your suggestions.

Rich
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78131 11/18/06 01:46 AM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have also noticed the quiet period. I read the posts almost everyday and have posted some, but will try to do better.
I think that a non-Harbour Lights Trading Post is a good idea. I know many of us collect other ideas as well as Harbour Lights. I would much rather buy from another CF member. I collect some Thomas Kinkade, and right now I am trying to get all of the Bridge of Faith plates.

Cyndi
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78132 11/18/06 02:05 AM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I get busy and often go for a few days without checking the Forums. Hopefully after the holidays things will slow down for us and I can post more. It isn't because I'm not interested. This is the very best place to go for valuable info about lighthouses and in addition I have gotten some great deals on some missing lights from forum members.

It is always fun to see friends in the great photos that are posted and meet new ones on the Forums.

It would be helpful to know about events, tours, etc. as far ahead of time as possible so we could start to plan. We check the calendar in Lighthouse Digest and also wait to read about HL events. If anyone gets info early it would be helpful to share it for future planning.

Judy

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78133 11/18/06 04:01 AM
Hal Dean Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I would like to see the chats like we had on Wed. and Thurs. come back and be more active. Before we used to get 25 or 30 people at each chat. It brings the wackos more closer together and a lot of fun was had and if kept everyone more up to date on what was happening in the hobby. Hal

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78134 11/18/06 02:07 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I agree with Hal...I haven't done a chat in a LONG time. Because I havn't heard about them in a LONG time. Did we drop them or something? It was always great to talk in "real time."

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78135 11/18/06 08:11 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
A few of you may recall that I joined this forum more than a couple of years ago and that I attempted---perhaps too voluminously---to share enthusiasms, submit ideas, and offer both negative and positive assessments of the Harbour Lights line. Fairly quickly, however, I encountered what I'm afraid that I have to call a certain "pontification" and posturing, having elicited various assertions that the "serious collector" doesn't want this, the "serious collector" wants that, etc. In short, I apprehended that a certain configuration of members had set themselves up as THE arbiters and the embodiment of "NO!" Poor misguided me!...there I was, a collector since 1995, owning all the LEs except the first HL102 and HL111, all the GLOWs, all the lenses, over 80 lighthouse books, lighthouse videos, a very few Leftons, Spoontiques, and Scaasises, being put in my place as something of a dilettante. Somewhere in that dim, vaporous miasma that serves as my brain, a realization rose to show me that my philosophical approach and expectations were generally incompatible with those of the Forum. To my way of thinking, there is a slightly odd tendency to invest arbitrarily numbered, at times distorted lumps of plaster and resin with a mystique in excess of what they merit, and I'd venture that the mere attachment of an identity to them does not make them somehow inviolable. Silly me! I was focusing on the actual lighthouses and wanting accurate representations of them, which is why I suggested that some---very few---of the earliest HLs would benefit from an upgrade [preferably LE], i.e.: Admiralty Head [which was done nicely without undue violation to the original LE], West Quoddy [sorry, I want the residence, too], Sand Island, North Head, Umpqua River, Burrows Island, to name a few of this admittedly small group of primitives. But, I was corrected that, for instance, that travesty with a turban, North Head, HL106, must never ever...EVER...be reconfigured, even though I fail to see how a new LE would devalue the original LE, any more than a new coin design devalues an older one. Somehow, I am to force myself to WILL the nearly generic HL106 into an accurate representation of North Head and be content with it. Also, I think all the world of Bill, Nancy and Kim. They are great people with great ideas. But their signatures on work designed and executed by other individuals is pretty much without significance to me; the actual sculptor's signature would mean more. [Sorry, in spite of the fact that I degreed in Art History, I still discount Marcel Duchamp's "Fountain," a functional object (a urinal) designed by another which, because Duchamp "perceived" and "pronounced" it as art, he signed and presented as his own conception]. And please...do not immediately jump to any conclusions and claim that I am equating this with Harbour Lights. I merely prefer the actual creators of things to be the ones who sign them.

Again, with regard to the Forum, I realized that I was swimming upstream against an assortment of sentiments: "We don't want lost lights...," "we don't want occasional, larger pieces...," "we don't want...," "we don't want...," and, as ever, "the serious collector doesn't want...."

I thought, and still believe, that I had---and have---viable, sometimes valuable, and potentially exciting ideas and observations to contribute, as well as helpful compliments and criticisms to make. But, it is frankly not very gratifying to toss out proposals and see them sink out of sight or, worse, see them forcibly drowned by the few who have anointed themselves as the Gold Standard of collectors. Since I have to drive nine miles up to the university in order to wait to use an available computer, I don't find it a very profitable use of time to participate in a Forum whose prevailing complexion predeterminately edges out a lot of my potential contributions. I'm not interested in stirring up controversy or agitating others merely to gain a response. I see that I have ideas about Harbour Lights that are not "mainstream," so I by and large maintain just a reading presence here.

I apologize to anyone who might be put off or offended by my position.

Danny

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78136 11/18/06 09:04 PM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Well Danny, I for one wish you would not just become a reading presence here. Yes there are those who are self annointed priests and priestesses of the harbour lights religion as professed by open regurgitation of one's own feelings and belief systems. Of course there are those like myself who in fact help them to think the way they do because I seldom offer my own "errant" opinions or challenges to their proclamations and thus reinforce their opinions because they hear no challenge and thus have nothing to think about.

However, someone like yourself who is willing to offer their own opinions, insights, and beliefs, from what I can tell is an experienced background, should never bow to the pontifications of others just because they want to hear themselves bellow. Problem with a forum such as this is there are a few that are very strong in their expression and many who are not willing to argue with them. I have been a member here for a few years and this is the first time I have gotten ticked enough to put it out there for anyone to argue with. Please, I encourage you to make that trip to the computer and make yourself known because its the opinions of all that need to be heard not just the vocal strong. And I would say to those strong (knowing they will probably not be able to hear me for their own bellowing) to keep this forum open and allow all who have something to say to say it without being attacked for what they believe. To remember that all are allowed their opinions in this country and forums like this are what this country and its philosophy are about. Maybe our society would be much better off if we just sat back and listened to what ALL others have to say and respect it in the same manner we expect others to respect our opinions.

Okay, end of pontification, and God bless you all.

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78137 11/19/06 07:36 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
...keep this forum open and allow all who have something to say to say it without being attacked for what they believe.
Bravo! Well said! I could not agree more.
I don't always agree with what is said, but I think everyone should have the right to say it!

That, by the way, is not exclusively American! There are people here in England and in Germany and all over the world who think the same!

One proviso: Freedom only goes as far as it does not attack others!

So have your say, your opinion and tell us about it! Even disagree with me and others. But what ever you do or say: DO NOT MAKE PERSONAL ATTACKS!

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78138 11/19/06 11:30 AM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I agree with keeping the forums open to hear what anyone has to say and to voice their opinions. We all have our own thoughts and opinions, some may agree and others disagree. That is what makes us all the special individual that we are.
We have a lot of knowledgable people who post in these forums, and I have learned a lot from reading each post. I may not always agree with what is being said but I value everyone opinion and take it into consideration.

Cyndi
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78139 11/19/06 11:45 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Danny
Any one that drives nine miles and waits in line to use a computer to talk on these forums has gotten my respect. Everyone on the forums is welcomed to their opinion and so are those that oppose them. You are not alone in your believes for Harbour Lights to redo some of the old ones. I have heard collectors over the years support that idea. But you are right, on this forum you will receive opposition when you mention remake. Many collectors believe that the word Limited Edition means that HL would break the mould and never make that Lighthouse again. Of course then came the GLOWs and then special editions until Harbour light has just outright came out with some remakes. But all of these would be an interesting debate over in the Secondary Market Forum.

I looked over a couple of your post and verbally you are able to take care of yourself. I am positive that if you debated anyone one on this forum you would carry your own. Yes everyone on this forum should give respect to others and only answer for themselves not for all collectors. What I have found that just because you get one opposition does not mean that everyone on the forum disagrees with you it just means that there is at least one. I recommend you say how you feel and support it. If you say something that you get a lot of opposition over. So what; you are giving your opinion, which is your right. And if anyone opposes you, it is their opinion and is their right. After a while the opposition will grow weary and leave you alone. If someone says something that offends you, you know how to respectfully defend yourself. You have just done in your post above.

Danny we have a spot on the forums for collectors, to post what they like to see Harbour Lights make. This spot is read by Don and Harry.

What I want Harbour Lights to make.

Also take advantage of the poll system and see if you have supporters in what you believe.

Danny when it comes to signing this maybe a surprise but not all collectors takes their lights to be signed. I personally will not take any of my old variations, AP’s, Made in Canada or California lights, to be signed. I want them in original condition. I do take my newer lights to be signed so I can have a spot to talk to Bill and traditionally a signed pieced goes for a little bit more on ebay.

Danny hang in there and keep making your nine mile trip, we need your support.

DANIEL
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78140 11/19/06 12:34 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Danny,
I have only been a collector since 2003. Before that time even though I loved lighthouses, I had never heard of Harbour Lights. There is a lot of the older LEs that I would love to have, but because most can only be bought on the secondary market and some go for more then I can afford, not to mention you can not be sure of the codition of the piece when you recieve it, the pictures on e-bay are not always the best. I am real careful of who I buy from when I buy off of e-bay. So I would support a remake of some of the older pieces. There has got to be a way of doing remakes of LEs that would not take away from the value of the original pieces. They have done revised versions of some of the GLOW pieces and I don't believe it has taken away the value of the original GLOWs, maybe even increased their value.
It is just an idea, so some of us collectors that have not had the chance to collect from the beginning be able to get some of those lighthouses.

Cyndi
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78141 11/19/06 06:43 PM
SDudley Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I still believe the reason that there is not as much activity on this site is because there is no longer a direct link from the Harbour Lights web site to this one. That's how I found this site and thats why I feel it needs to be restored. I believe the Marketplace section was the reason for the dropped link. I feel that dropping selling Harbour Light on this sight and haveing the company retore the link would greatly improve activity here. There are other areas to sell our items but this is the only major site to talk about Harbour Lights and its related subjects. New blood is the key.

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78142 11/19/06 08:01 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Danny - While I support your right to post what you want concerning your opinions as to what you want Harbour Lights to make, I feel that other collectors have their opinions and should likewise be able to respond to your posts with their opinions. They may differ from yours and this is what makes collecting Harbour Lights fun.

I'm not a supporter of GLOWS but if a collector wants to collect GLOWS for whatever their reason is then by all means collect GLOWS. The profits from these GLOWS goes into Harbour Lights bank account and allows them to make the Limited Editions and the rest of their products that may not be as profitable. I'm also not a supporter of remakes, but again, if you and others are then by all means voice your opinions. You will probably get some feedback from the oposition to remakes but don't let it bother you or stop you from posting. There are opinions on both sides so if you state your views don't be surprised if someone disagrees with you. You must learn to give and take, but you should continue to post.

You mentioned that you felt the Forums were being controlled by a few individuals. Are you sure they were controlling the Forums or could it have been that they were the majority of the members that posted and answered your posts? The Forums, like any other Forum, institution, job, team, etc. might seem to be controlled by a few but really are controlled by the one's that participate. And remember one thing and that is at one time we were all new to the Forums and may have felt the same way you do right now. You must activley participate and be willing to receive some negative responces to your posts to get everyones input. A post where nothing is different from your views rapidly runs out of steam.

Again, these are my interpretations from your post, and do not reflect anything negative on your opinions.

Rich
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78143 11/19/06 09:26 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Rich, I am not a supporter of GLOWs either, and have said as much in previous submissions. I am a supporter of producing the most accurate version possible of any lighthouse, no matter how many times it takes to get it right. Absolutely anything can be turned into a collectible, as long as there are finite numbers of it, from carnival chalk prizes to designer jewelry to gas pump globes, or whatever. Variants within a run can spice it up, I suppose. There are different kinds of collectors, too. Some want the "complete run," without gaps, no matter how many are produced. Some want the same, but limited productions. Others are really more interested in exclusivity, which enables them to say..."I have something that few others have" [or nobody else]. Sometimes, the latter is done with just a little touch of "nyah..nyah!" That's okay, too, if it makes that particular individual feel better, or better about him/herself.

As for my sentiments, and note that I say "my" sentiments, the lighthouses are the important items and the justification for collecting. If Harbour Lights could miraculously shrink the originals, intact, to a breathtakingly accurate 8-to-10-inch version, even if it were to be in an open edition, I would prefer to own one of those rather than to be able to gloat or crow that I had this or that basically misshapen mass of plaster or resin, of which only 10 to 20 have green tips, 7 to 12 have white tips, etc. If Harbour Lights could do the above in a limited edition, that's fine too. I'm not interested in mere collectible objects, or objects as currency, or objects as status. Again, I'm trying to make it clear that this is my own take on the matter. The paramount necessity for me is that the piece replicates in miniature, as best it can, the features and characteristics of the original lighthouse. Certainly, several of the earlier Harbour Lights don't do this. If I were out to collect objects just for the exclusivity of it, I have an unlimited field of options. The focus here is the lighthouse, its history, its architectural form, etc., and a certain pleasure in being able to appreciate a sort of proxy of each one in a version that one can hold in the hand. The pieces have references to something actual. It would seem to me to be a valid reason to collect Harbour Lights, or whichever company can achieve that kind of veracity. What I have found rather peculiar is to read in these Forums the often-voiced implications that these aims don't characterize the "serious collector," which by interpretation seems to throw more stress on the fact of exclusivity...the need to own what few others do. While I certainly don't begrudge anyone the desire or opportunity to own limited editions, it seems in return that I am begrudged the desire and opportunity to own accurate editions. Limited edition collectible lines generally have a sort of progression, beginning with piece number one, piece two, etc., and each piece is purportedly manufactured with a finite number in each edition. If, therefore, Admiralty Head was HL101---the first piece---with only 5,500 in the edition, its relative scarcity and value shouldn't be undermined by HL694. This would be true for a new limited edition of North Head, or whatever. What I find troubling is the insistence that no newer, more accurate version of some really significant lighthouses should be made in preference to highly detailed versions of, say, Port Clinton, etc. We collectors could have both. Putting out a revised limited edition version every once in awhile, such as what has just been done for Admiralty Head, ought not to compromise the Compleat Harbour Light.

Now...anyone reading my earlier posts could not really accuse me of being intolerant of others' opinions, I believe. I would be interested to see where I have ever indicated or radiated disrespect, or been remiss in allowing give and take. My impressions of the tenor of the Forum's prevailing philosophy have been gleaned from reading a great many of the discussions and interactions, and not merely autointoxicatedly obsessing about responses to my own submissions. The fact that others have just acknowledged it, too, would suggest that I am not especially guilty of hypersensitivity.

Obviously, these are personal outlooks on various matters, none of which seem to forbid or deflect disagreement.

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78144 11/20/06 12:59 PM
R
ropetrick Offline
R
I agree with SDudley.
Restore the link from the HL website. That is how I found the Forums long ago.

I try to make my few postings contribute to the topic at hand.
Don't waste bandwidth or people's time.

Dan

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78145 11/20/06 02:22 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Danny your spot on with your comments. Obviously if this web site was perfect another web site would not have spawned from it and Harbour Lights wouldn't have pulled their link from it. Debate is good as long as every side is heard. The size of collection doesn't indicate knowledge or wisdom. In fact it may indicate a fools money spent. Enjoy your collection and sound off when you disagree!! There maybe lots of people in silent agreement with your views! So don't feel shut out.

Sean

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78146 11/20/06 10:55 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Well, let's see. . . .

Cropping, etc. the 400+ pics we took in August ate up most of the month of September.

Planting trees, bulbs, flowering bushes on our finally-finished acreage following the completion of our garage/storage area took up all of October.

Helping Stan put up two "Cover-Its" on either side of the garage--a job that we finally finished this past Saturday. One of the units measures 32' x 12' x 12' for his tractor, rider-mower, chipper/shredder; the other is 32' x 14' x 14' for the RV. I ache in places I never knew I could ache in!! (I look out the window in our TV room every morning and start humming Elton John's "I'm Still Standing.") They've both withstood storms with high winds during these past few weeks. Needless to say, we're both relieved to have those jobs done.

I've been working in the house when I'm not outdoors, hoping to get my fall cleaning done before back surgery scheduled for December 4th. Wish I could say I'm not bothered by the upcoming procedure, but my actions tell me otherwise.

I've posted a couple of times, but nowhere near what is normal for me and it has nothing to do with having or not having a Harbour Lights connection. This is the only forum I've ever belonged to and I think it was a NELL member who suggested I might find useful information at this site. The various topics are very useful and informative and I chuckle at some of the opinions expressed. I've enjoyed meeting those members I have met on the cruises we've taken and hope to meet more.

If I don't get back here before Thursday, my best wishes to everyone for a healthy and sane Thanksgiving.

Sandy

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78147 11/21/06 01:15 AM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
A Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Wishing you a speedy recovery following your surgery, Sandy! smile

Debbie
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78148 11/21/06 05:00 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Good luck to you on your surgery Sandy.
I have gone on almost every trip this year for Lighthouses that I can (I reached a milestone birthday and took advantage) I had so many pictures to check I havnt had time to post. I was in the process of selling my house and moving. I think I have a buyer, keep your fingers crossed. I will have lighthouse withdrawal because I am used to geting into the car and drivng to many. I will be moving to Charlotte N.C. I am practicing my southern accent yoall. I will be posting my pictures starting from Door County to Virginia to Maine sometime in the winter. I just finished sending out the Wacko xmas cards. Now I have to start packing my house. Every time I go out I tell people about this sight I hope they have visited. Dont let this site dwindle. If you have nothing to say post a picture. We love to look at them wink

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78149 11/21/06 06:13 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Fran - It's Ya'll. And you won't really be down south until you tie a snow shovel on the front bumper of your car and drive south until someone asks what it is. Then you know your really down south.

Rich
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78150 11/21/06 07:22 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
So Sandy, what are you saying??? That life is getting in the way of posting here? Sheesh...imagine that!
:rolleyes:
Have a nice Thanksgiving! You and your surgery will be in my prayers ...for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78151 11/21/06 11:46 PM
C
Copper10 Offline
C
I just recently joined this group. I am still learning my way around the links and trying to figure out 'the lay of the land'. (maybe I need a guiding light? cool smile Seriously, like everyone else here, life has a way of interrupting my fun. I recently went to Calloway Gardens in Georgia. I live in Florida and this was one of the few trips where I went to see trees and things as opposed to lighthouses or lightships. Since then it's been nothing but work and come home and do more work getting ready for the holidays.
So far my collection is the Erie Land Light (Erie is my original hometown) and the Presque Isle Light that I purchased from another member here.... I read a lot of the posts on as many of the links as time will allow. I am learning about this group even when I am not posting.......

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78152 11/22/06 01:00 AM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
How about hitching my snow blower to the back on the way down. You think anyone will know what it is used for.Sorry I spelled Ya'll wrong have a lot to learn. I think I have way to much Brooklyn in me. When I go to another state thay ask me are you from Brooklyn, Not are you from NY.
Fran

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78153 11/22/06 01:18 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Well I'm obviously still around. I haven't purchased any HL's in a long time and haven't been to a lighthouse since March so haven't had anything to contribute in that regard. I do have some new interests that take some of my free time but check in here most every day.

It appears to me that the glory days of HL are over, the thrill of the hunt is pretty well gone, the dealer numbers are declining for sure. The store where I purchased many of my HL's not only dropped the line except for special orders; it closed entirely so HL isn't the only collectible who's suffered. With the end of the collector shows and the reduced regionals there aren't as many opportunities for get-togethers. If it weren't for Dave and his helpers there wouldn't have been that last reunion. Nor would there have been those post regional trips. If it weren't for the ELL committee there wouldn't have been that.

So we seem to have graduated to a do-it-yourself group, rather than an HL driven group. Which is fine as long as there are folks willing to help out. Times have changed, that's just how it is.

We now have many members who don't eat, sleep and live to collect limited editions. And some who used to but don't any longer. But we all have a common bond, our love of lighthouses and their preservation. All are welcome. Each of us has something to contribute.

No one should feel excluded, whether they collect or not. No one should feel excluded because they think their opinions don't count. If we all agreed on everthing it sure would be a boring place. I don't agree with a lot of the stuff that's expressed here. That doesn't make me right and the other person wrong. If I don't agree with someone's views or ideas and I don't have anything better, imo, to offer I try to just keep my mouth shut. Bickering with each other is dumb.

Some of us are much more reticent than others so may seldom post but enjoy reading. Some of us find it hard to keep still. When I joined in almost 8 years ago I started posting right away and hardly quit, although I've slowed down. I don't believe in the "in-crowd" theory. Posting a lot doesn't put you there. Collecting a lot doesn't put you there. We are all members and are all "there". We are fortunate that many folks have chosen to take a proactive roll to insure that the forums and activities generated though them have continued. It they are an "in-crowd" we wouldn't exist without them.

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78154 11/22/06 02:20 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Sean, a couple of dealers insisted that the link be pulled because of the Marketplace where we allowed collectors to buy, sell and trade Harbour Lights... No other reason! We decided that the offering of a place for collectors to (hopefully safely) buy, sell and trade their HL's was more important than the link..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78155 11/22/06 06:01 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Yep and I also remember saying get rid of the Marketplace to preserve the link! Remember that?

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78156 11/22/06 08:30 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
... the thrill of the hunt is pretty well gone ...
smile We are just starting to hunt and the thrill is still there! I guess in eight years time our hunt will have slowed to a slow trickle.

smile

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78157 11/22/06 09:22 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
The trill is there but not as much and not in the same way.

The trill in collecting Harbour Lights use to be:

The trill in collecting is now:

DANIEL
Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78158 11/22/06 09:56 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
No one should feel excluded, whether they collect or not. No one should feel excluded because they think their opinions don't count. If we all agreed on everthing it sure would be a boring place. I don't agree with a lot of the stuff that's expressed here. That doesn't make me right and the other person wrong. If I don't agree with someone's views or ideas and I don't have anything better, imo, to offer I try to just keep my mouth shut. Bickering with each other is dumb.

Some of us are much more reticent than others so may seldom post but enjoy reading. Some of us find it hard to keep still. When I joined in almost 8 years ago I started posting right away and hardly quit, although I've slowed down. I don't believe in the "in-crowd" theory. Posting a lot doesn't put you there. Collecting a lot doesn't put you there. We are all members and are all "there". We are fortunate that many folks have chosen to take a proactive roll to insure that the forums and activities generated though them have continued. It they are an "in-crowd" we wouldn't exist without them.
Very well stated, Sue!

Quote:
Sean, a couple of dealers insisted that the link be pulled because of the Marketplace where we allowed collectors to buy, sell and trade Harbour Lights... No other reason! We decided that the offering of a place for collectors to (hopefully safely) buy, sell and trade their HL's was more important than the link.
I believe the Youngers caved too quickly on this point. I can see the dealer's point of view but having the CF link at the HL Site generated interest which would eventually fire up more people to become faithful collectors. Many of the CF Members are HL Cheerleaders. Their enthusiasm can be catchy inspiring other potential collectors to participate. If people didn't have a place like the CF to keep them connected we would all be walking the beach picking up shells, white stones, sea glass, and talking to ourself.

I wonder if the dealers who wanted the link removed are still in business? We're still here and will be for a long time to come.

Quote:
Yep and I also remember saying get rid of the Marketplace to preserve the link! Remember that?
I don't exactly remember that but I'm glad it didn't happen. I have purchased many quality pieces from great sellers at the former Market Place, now the Trading Post. Those threads are the reason many new people find the CF and hope to score a piece they need for their collection. Some of them even hang around after and watch what happens in the HL and Lighthouse world.

Enough said for now...

smile Bob smile

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78159 11/25/06 02:04 AM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
Lots of viable explanations for where everyone has been, or is. Here are a few random thoughts on the matter and other comments in this thread.

- Life moves on and in amongst the contants, like family and earning a living, some interests make do with an ebb and flow. Like collecting Harbour Lights. The sense I get is that many, like me, still add the occassional piece to the display shelf, but the idea of having one of every HL has lost it's luster.

I stopped purchasing each and every HL when I realized that I had more in boxes (still do) than I had on shelves where I could see, touch and enjoy them. But, I just added Fowey Rocks and the Pemaquid Bell Tower. I'd like to find an El Morro too. So I haven't walked completely away from HLs and collecting.

- Many things have filled my time. For the past three years I was the 'publisher' of the Florida Lighthouse Associaton membership publication, The Flash. The company I worked 26 years for was acquired by another corporation. Linda and I are actively involved with Labrador Retriever Rescue of Florida. (four of the rascals live with us) We have re-discovered aquariums and have several tanks set up in the house. All of these things occupy life differntly than collecting HLs. Ebb and flow.

- The Forums (and the chats for that matter) have strayed far afield from Harbour Lights, lighthouse collecting, and lighthouse preservation. And I think that is normal. People meet, they become friends, they share life beyond the original common ground that brought them together. But in the process, some people (Danny? Sean? Me? others?) who may have a passion for the common ground but maybe don't feel comfortable sharing other intimate and personal life events, wind up feeling not so close to the 'family'.

Yes, we could start our own topics and threads. But as pointed out several times already, if the opinions, thoughts and ideas we express are consistently viewed as heretical, well, why keep beating your head against the wall? Better to let you folks have your community and just listen in to the few areas of the Forums that might have useful tidbits about HLs and collecting them. Like what is coming and when.

- Harbour Lights. Yes, it isn't the same. One thing I feel we can all agree on is that there are lots of reasons. ebay is one. But were it not for (in retrospect) bad decisions about edition sizes and sloooowww reaction times to fix them, ebay might today be the 'true collectors' friend. How? By being the marketplace to buy and sell 'rare' Harbour Lights, instead of the dumping ground for over produced and overstocked Harbour Lights.

If HLs had made different decisons, we'd certainly have differnt circumstances today. They are doing new LEs of popular lights, something I advocated for years ago, instead of LEs of lights that no one had heard of and people could not easily visit. My suggestion was not popular on these Forums then. Yet in the ensuing years I've seen travelogues of trips to regionals to get the third verison of St. Augustine by some of the same people who were adamantly opposed to re-issues.

I think there is even a move afoot by the new owners to slow the rate of release for new LEs. This is something else that some of us have wanted for some time now. After all, there is a finite number of extant US lighthouses.

How about one LE per quarter? Hype it. Anticipate it. Have room on the shelf for it. And extend the life of the inventory of marketable lighthouses, if there is such a thing any longer.

- Who are the people who frequent these Forums? Are we HL collectors? Are we shareholders in the HLs business? I think, personal opinion, that the tone of the Forums was too often towards the opinion and feeling of shareholder, or owner, and not collector. There were lots of threads about what the Youngers should, or shouldn't, do for the collectors. Many well reasoned comments about what the Youngers might do to build a sustainable business were often dismissed as not good for the true collector.

All of which begs the question, where are we now?

Rick

Opinions expressed are just that, my opinions. I'm not mad at anyone, I'm not offended by anyone's post or opinion, and I do not intend that this post and my opinions and thoughts be offensive to anyone who happens to read them.

Which, if you think about it, having to say something likes this at the end of a post is part of the problem, and part of the explanation for why things are so slow in HL Forum land.

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78160 11/25/06 11:54 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Your presence has been missed, Rick. Your opinions were always respected and your posts, such as the above, are filled with food for thought.

Quote:
- Life moves on and in amongst the contants, like family and earning a living, some interests make do with an ebb and flow. Like collecting Harbour Lights. The sense I get is that many, like me, still add the occassional piece to the display shelf, but the idea of having one of every HL has lost it's luster.
Life has moved on for many and will continue that way in the future. The only hope is that for each person who "moves on", there will be one or two to take his or her place.

Quote:
- The Forums (and the chats for that matter) have strayed far afield from Harbour Lights, lighthouse collecting, and lighthouse preservation. And I think that is normal. People meet, they become friends, they share life beyond the original common ground that brought them together. But in the process, some people (Danny? Sean? Me? others?) who may have a passion for the common ground but maybe don't feel comfortable sharing other intimate and personal life events, wind up feeling not so close to the 'family'.
Unfortunately, there is only so much to say about a collectible before you sound like a broken record, broken record, broken record... The saving grace is when some excitement is brought in about new and different pieces. Then it's up to the Forum Faithful to talk it up to increase the level of excitement. As far as sharing what's going on in your life, I feel that's a good thing for those who choose to do so. Many people consider the forum members as an extended family in some cases, and that's a good thing in a world that seems so full of negativity.

Quote:
Yes, we could start our own topics and threads. But as pointed out several times already, if the opinions, thoughts and ideas we express are consistently viewed as heretical, well, why keep beating your head against the wall?
Then you should start your own topics and threads. There's two sides to every story and both sides should be heard. There is no warning at the CF stating contrary minded people need not post. I think people were protective of the Youngers because of their allegiance to them. They are nice people and will always be held that way in my mind. Fact of life: The Youngers are out, and yes, Harbour Lights is only a business trying to succeed in a tough collectible market. Hopefully, some of those family-friendly events will continue but there are no guarantees. The Youngers rode the HL Train for many years and turned a dream into a success. Good for them! They made people smile. They generated plenty of interest in their product. Now they have moved on to a well deserved retirement. Now it's up to the new regime to prove they can fill the shoes of their predecessors.

Quote:
- Harbour Lights. Yes, it isn't the same. One thing I feel we can all agree on is that there are lots of reasons. ebay is one. But were it not for (in retrospect) bad decisions about edition sizes and sloooowww reaction times to fix them, ebay might today be the 'true collectors' friend. How? By being the marketplace to buy and sell 'rare' Harbour Lights, instead of the dumping ground for over produced and overstocked Harbour Lights.
We probably can all agree on those points, but what are we personally going to do to change it? I feel there are still enough of us here at the CF, both verbal and silent, that can have an effect on the future direction of Harbour Lights. Our participation individually and as a group is valued. We are a known group of consumers. I feel our opinions are read and judged on their content. We don't have any direct say but we can still have some influence as to what happens in the future.

Quote:
- Who are the people who frequent these Forums? Are we HL collectors? Are we shareholders in the HLs business? I think, personal opinion, that the tone of the Forums was too often towards the opinion and feeling of shareholder, or owner, and not collector. There were lots of threads about what the Youngers should, or shouldn't, do for the collectors. Many well reasoned comments about what the Youngers might do to build a sustainable business were often dismissed as not good for the true collector.
We have all learned a lot about HL's via the collector forums. Many of us have invested, yes I did say invested, thousands of dollars in the products of this company. I didn't buy all these HL's with no intention of ever selling them. My heirs have no interest in my collection. My personal investment has nothing to do with what the company may or may not do in the future. What the company does will definitely have an effect on my investment in HL's. If they generate a new interest in HL's it will create additional interest in collectors hunting down older pieces. The ideal situation for me would be to sell a few pieces a month to pay for some great dinners for Lorna and I when we really get old. I feel that I'm a collector and I also have a vested interest in Harbour Lights, even though I have to legal connection to that company.

Enough said for now. Rick, it's great to see you posting and I sincerely hope you will find the time to visit more often and share your thoughts with us. You were always a valued member of the CF and hopefully still will be in the future.

smile Bob smile

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78161 11/27/06 01:18 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Happy belated Thanksgiving Rick. It's nice to here that you are still collecting and reading the forums. How's Florida treating you? You can start a new thread with your response if you like.

wink

Re: Where the Heck Is Everyone? #78162 11/27/06 11:49 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
It's getting to be like "old home week" around here! It's really nice to hear from people who were charter members when this all started many moons ago. Will we hear from Tim or Fred? Who else haven't we heard from in a long time?

smile Bob smile

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,052 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users