Print Thread
Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #77995 01/23/99 03:27 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Up yonder in the high rent forums, there's messages a plenty to suggest for the year 2000 (y2k)Harbour Lights should do the Statue of Liberty as a Special Millenium Limited Edition. I'll dub this the Y2K SoL SMiLE piece.

What if Harbour Lights put this millenium LE in a globe you could shake and see it snow...

Nah, I don't think so. And I'm with the Bradymeister on this one. Imo the idea of using the SoL as an HL Y2k piece is too contrived. A Millenium HL is about as endearing to me as a Millenium soup spoon. After all they both share the same ties to this particular tick of the clock. (Like zero - totally).

The year 2000 has no inherent connection with Lighthouses - it doesn't even have a real connection with US history. Maybe looking backward, the history books may record it in connection with the potential data problems associated with computing.

(Ok - I'm sure some Wacko will come up with a n historical connection between lighthouses, SoL and US History - but it won't be an obvious one. Just wait till people discover it was really meant to tell immigrants to avoid NYC like a shoal. [g,d&r] ).

HL doing a "Special Millenium Edition" is not only not a good idea, its a bad idea. Why? Because its trying to make something out of nothing - its attempting to use lighthouses to capitalize on a non-Lighthouse event. This psuedo marketing opportunity demeans lighthouses in general and collecting most especially. I'll be embarassed if HL does this and they'll look a little bit silly and a whole lot greedy. But I'm also sure a certain segment of the collecting population will simply have to have one. I also trust HL is mature enought to recognize that just because you can make money off a something, doesn't mean you should.

Why not a special Jimmy Carter birthday Edition, or an LE to commemorate Lindbergh's flight across the Atlantic. Whatta we see next a 'Baby's first Lighthouse' model? No doubt that'll help line BY's pockets as quickly as Y2K SoL SMiLE.

If you're gonna do a special LE - for goodness sakes, take it from Lighthouse history. Make it mean something special for lighthouses. That way - it'll mean something special to lighthouse lovers.

Besides, it won't be good at the stroke of Midnight on 1/1/00 when all those French guys come pouring out and capture New York.

What do you think?

Rgds,
Napolean Solo

<--Mr. Fun Mr. Yuk-->

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 01-23-99).]

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #77996 01/23/99 04:55 AM
B
BuyGlass Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Gosh, When you put it that way you take the fun right out of the idea All I wanted was another excuse for Harbour Lights to release a new Ground Breaking Supercalafragalisticexpaladociushillsborozillanavesinkus Lighthouse.

SeAnDiEgO

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #77997 01/23/99 11:07 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Gosh, Timmer, you just take the wind out of everyones sails, no?

So, OK, FORGET the SMiLE piece, Let HL do a 'Decadium' piece to mark their 10th Year in the business of making the best damn architectural collectibles in the world.

(Yeah, all the finger-counters will be working it out -- 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000 -- yep 10 years in business.)

Now if Navesink can mark their 5th Anniversary (original plan, anyway), then the SoL will put a big (the real kind) on the face of THIS collector!

Attention WACKOs - SoL Edition Size now 5,000.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 01-23-99).]

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #77998 01/23/99 04:38 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Do I hear 4,500? :-)

Won't disagree that HL makes the best darn lighthouse models in the world. (They do!)
I suspect the fact that Navesink marks the 5th anniversary of the company has far more meaning to Y&A than to most collectors. I pay tribute to them with every purchase.

But why not place the focus on lighthouses rather than the manufacturer? The best way for HL to make its mark is to produce a really high quality model of an engaging lighthouse. No need to conjure up an association with some non-lighthouse event to justify or market the piece. (Reader's note: the humming sound you hear is only the wind extraction equipment cranking up - do not be alarmed.)

I challenge Wackos World Wide - look for a light having its 100, 200, or 300 year anniversary next year. Celebrate that light with a model - but do it for a good Lighthouse Reason not some other reason. (HL coulda done this all along if they wanted to draw attention to maritime or navigational history.) Y&A business success is not such a reason.

As for SoL - its a significant edifice and its a lighthouse, but its not a significant lighthouse. Plenty of homage paid to Lady Liberty in many forms - no need for HL to get in this line. Their attention is better directed elsewhere.

The old mariner straining for the sound of a fog signal so he can keep his cargo safe, the tiny pierhead that guides a family home, the keeper standing vigil at 3:00am on Lake Huron, the wind-tossed barque shedding rocks because it was warned by a beacon that found it in the night - these images are the associates of lighthouses. They have their own special virtue and human dimension. Draw upon them when considering models to make. I'd rather see lighthouse history brought to life with Whitlock Mill, or Barcelona, or Lydia Ann. Give tribute to where it is deserved yet seldom found.

The history and magnificence of the Statue of Liberty is in no danger of getting lost in time - sadly thats not true for many work-a-day lighthouses. They deserve sculpting more than SoL.

Becalmed in the FSB,
__
/im

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 01-23-99).]

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #77999 01/24/99 12:44 AM
T
tnkeeper Offline
T
My daddy used to tell me "Perspectives, child. Always
listen to what the other man has to say. He may have thought
of something you haven't."
Well Tim , you've proved again that Daddy was right.

Debbie..spoken in her best suthin drawl.

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78000 01/24/99 01:08 AM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
There was always something about the SoL as a commerative lighthouse that I didn't like. Paul and Tim have done a much better job of articulating why than I ever could.

Harbour Lights, if you're contemplating an Y2K Special Edition, make it an historically significant 'lighthouse' event. Not the Statue of Liberty, not Pharros. Surely there's a US lighthouse event that celebrates or commemorates an anniversary in 2001 (the millenium, there was no year zero).

Don't let the media hype over short-sighted computer programming methods detract from a wonderful hobby (passion?) that all of us here enjoy.

Rick

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78001 01/24/99 01:24 AM
LamarB Offline
Well Tim, you're right on again. SoL would not make a very good millenium piece. I can't too excited about Pharos, either. As Debbie said, thanks for your perspective.

------------------
Keepin' the flame

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78002 01/24/99 10:10 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Everybody's throwing the towel in for the Lady Liberty. But NOT me. I don't care if it's the Millennium Special or not.

Perhaps we'll wait until 2001 when the National Lighthouse Center and Museum should be ready to

http://www.lighthousemuseum.org/

Perhaps THAT would be a good time for a series on the lighthouses of New York Harbour:

http://www.lighthousemuseum.org/nylights.htm

Of the 22 lighthouses listed, HL has only made 5 - Navesink, Jeffrey's Hook, Execution Rock, Roosevelt Island (Blackwells Island) and Sandy Hook.

Of course, the BEST KNOWN is: http://www.lighthousemuseum.org/nylights/slibrty.htm

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 01-24-99).]

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78003 01/24/99 11:38 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the web site John. Now there's a great list of 21 lighthouses in New York Harbor and they even threw in a monument to boot. "The Statue of Liberty is one of the most recognizable monuments in the world" it doesn't start with it is one of the most recognizable lighthouses in the world.

I will loan you my LE SoL if you would like it.

It would make a great series of HL lighthouses and one monument, New York Harbor lights.

I didn't think the selection of the site for the museum was unanimous, I thought there was a little support for having one in MI. I guess millions of dollars can make it unanimous.

Paul

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78004 01/24/99 04:03 PM
B
BuyGlass Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
>>It would make a great series of HL lighthouses and one monument<<

And of that list of 22, there are 17 other lighthouses that I would like to see made before adding a monument to my collection. If there are any lighthouses missing off the list or any that are long gone, add them to the list as well. I really dont need what appears to be a souvenier mixed in with my lighthouses.

imho
SeAnDiEgO

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78005 01/24/99 05:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
__
/im, why can't HL tie in a non lighthouse event with a lighthouse ? I think that there is plenty of room for these kind of lighthouses. matter of factly I was thinking of a Groundhog's day lighthouse, maybe they feature a lighthouse from PA. since the Famous groundhog is from there. Maybe they could revise the Presque Isle lighthouse and put some light snow on the piece to give it the look of spring and have Phil coming out of his hole to see if he see's his shadow and depending on where it is placed in your curio you would get 6 more weeks of winter or spring depending on the lighting of your curio...............

Just a thought,
Mark

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78006 01/24/99 06:29 PM
jakescol Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Looks like the area would be a great place to have the 4th Harbour Lights Reunion. A great place to take a boat ride to view all those lights and see the New York skyline. Then go the new museum. That is of course after we have our 3rd reunion in Michigan.

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78007 01/24/99 07:16 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
HL Reunion in NY, NY? Will HL supply the bulletproof vests and Kevlar helmets? All the robbers are "equal opportunity" thieves. They will rob anybody. Can you tell I'm not a big city fan? If the reunion is held there I'll start now trying to get a temporary concealed weapon permit for my Sig 40 caliber. You can all fall in behind me if there is a fire fight. "Better to be judged by 12 then carried by six!"

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78008 01/24/99 07:58 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Maybe HL can make a S of L in a limited edition of 1 for John wearing a bullet proof vest and a kevlar helmet to protect it from an attack by Sean....

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78009 01/24/99 11:59 PM
R
Richard W Offline
R
IMHO anyone following this thread and trying to come to some sort of conclusion, may be SOL. (Sorry outa Luck) - Bob I'll back you up with my Sig 9 !!

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78010 01/25/99 01:45 AM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
Makes perfect sense to me, here in wacko world. I'll be there with my three BIG dogs, and I'll bring my sawed-off shotgun

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78011 01/25/99 02:19 AM
Art Offline
Quote:
Everybody's throwing the towel in for the Lady Liberty. But NOT me. I don't care if it's the Millennium Special or not.

I'm with you, John

-Art
Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78012 01/25/99 05:45 AM
B
BuyGlass Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Please no groundhog piece!!!! The Beaver is still upset that the Coquille GLOW got put on hold. Now I am going to have to explain to him why the groundhog got favored instead of him. Look out John, put on the kevlar chaps. The Beavers ready to do some gnawing. He's ready to sharpin his teeth on that New York souvenier. Is the Image or Likeness of the SoL considered Public Domain? What could go wrong in its production?
1. Left hand holding the torch instead of the Right.
2. Flag would read NJ instead of New York.
3. Flag would read Statu of Lyberty.

All in Fun

SeAnDiEgO
Oh no, I just got the Beaver calmed down and now he just saw the Energizer Bunny commercial. Help!!!!

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78013 01/25/99 11:30 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Well, there certainly is no one sitting on the fence on this one. Strong opinions on both sides. So I've thought and thought and figured out a compromise to make all happy:

If you don't like the Statue of Liberty as crafted by Harbour Lights (if and when it comes out), don't buy it.

Edition size, now 250. You must have expressed a positive opinion in this thread before 01/01/00 to qualify to purchase, and have sent in a special reservation form with a $20 non-refundable deposit to (no checks, please):

John Chidester
PO Box 4742
Scottsdale AZ 85261-4742

The actual lighthouse/statue will have the names of all qualifying purchasers laser-etched on the base. The list will also be enclosed with the certificate of authenticity.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 01-25-99).]

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78014 01/25/99 01:21 PM
jakescol Offline
Wacko
Wacko
John, put my name right under yours on S of L. I think some of them guys have been smelling too much gun powder.

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78015 01/25/99 04:25 PM
Art Offline
John, I'll take spot #3. I'll send you 20 of them LoR bucks that Tim alluded to. Seems that currency is so debased now it's worth about 1/20 of one cent on the U.S. dollar or so. In fact, consider this post payment-in-full! Having sent my 2 cents worth ($U.S.), I expect change. (Better not float it on the open market!)

:-D

-Alan Greenspan [And I thought the Hong Kong/ Indonesia thing was bad]

[This message has been edited by Art (edited 01-25-99).]

-Art
Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78016 01/25/99 05:51 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Send me my reservaton form John!!
I'd like #17 please.
Check in mail, as soon as reservation form is received by e-mail.
It's only 1/25, so this can't be an April Fool's joke

PS thanks for the ny links

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 01-25-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78017 01/25/99 11:22 PM
LamarB Offline
OK St. John. My check's in the mail. I like SoL as a lighthouse lots, I just changed my mind about whether it would be a good Y2K piece or not.

------------------
Keepin' the flame

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78018 01/26/99 12:46 AM
B
BuyGlass Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
>>If you don't like the Statue of Liberty as crafted by Harbour Lights (if and when it comes out), don't buy it.<<

With my investment??? I wish it was that easy to say no. My luck SoL would be the next Coquille, 8 toes instead of 10, and besides, that "Just Say No" approach applies to more than the SoL, Portland Head in the snow???? Don't like it? Don't buy it!

Back At You, Baabbyyy, LOL

SeAnDiEgO

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78019 01/26/99 02:10 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
>>I'll send you 20 of them LoR bucks that Tim alluded to. Seems that currency is so debased now it's worth about 1/20 of one cent on the U.S. dollar or so.<<

Dear Alan,

Gauged by this and other recent remarks, you're obviously correct. Good thing I sold short!

Roflmao,
__
/im (Thinking about Kafka doing a movie review of 'A Bug's Life'.)

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78020 01/26/99 01:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I really don't think the Statue of Liberty would really fit it with the rest of the Harbour Lights collection, neither would the Pharos of Alexandria. I also don't believe that either piece would be a big seller. Maybe the SoL could be made as a special event piece and put on the cover of the HL 2000 calendar.

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78021 01/27/99 05:15 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
Hey John, I think HL should take you off the web page and put you in charge of marketing.

First you limit the edition size, then require an advanced reservation, set a deadline, request a deposit, and require a positive opinion be expressed (promoting even more sales). Now you have us all salivating like Pavlov's dogs.

So with great sincerity I state . . . I have always loved the Statue of Liberty & agree it would be wonderful if HL made it. So where do I send my check?

LOL - Polly

[This message has been edited by Polly (edited 01-27-99).]

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78022 01/27/99 11:58 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
No checks, Polly. Cash only. See my address above.

Soupy [If you know why, you're at least 50]

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78023 01/28/99 02:39 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
If the deposit is sent in cash, will you explain "Soupy"?

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78024 01/28/99 03:09 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
If the deposit is sent in cash, will you explain "Soupy"?

Is this a set up or what!

Well let's say I'll explain the "Soupy" if it leads to "Sales".

John

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78025 01/28/99 03:31 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Served down the middle of the plate, JC hits it outta da park! I think the next skit involves an Eye Chart.

Rgds,
Black Tooth [content at less than 50]

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78026 01/28/99 05:11 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
Got it. He's an old comedian right?

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78027 01/28/99 10:57 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
BLAh?
bla bla bla !!!
Blah?

-White Fang

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78028 01/28/99 12:16 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Well we now know for sure that Tim, Robert and I are over 50.

Yes, "Soupy Sales" was an early TV kid's TV host, based in Detroit. Back in the days when kids got and hour and a half off from school for lunch at home, Soupy's show was a big hit with such puppet characters as "White Fang" and "Black Tooth" and "Willie the Worm".

Soupy got in trouble once when he suggested kids should look in their daddy's pocket or wallet and take those pieces of green paper and mail them to him.

Thus my suggestion to send cash.

Soupy had a late night show for a while too.

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78029 01/28/99 01:54 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I realize that I shocked the HL collecting world when I disclosed my LE Statue of Liberty (SoL). But if you think that was big, then today's announcement should put them on their ears.

G.S.o.W
Great Statues of the World

Yes, Tim and Sean I also have a G.S.o.W and if you will look carefully the technological differences are obvious.
The LE - glass
The G.S.o.W - High impact plastic for longer shelf life

The LE - good detail with the glass
The G.S.o.W - much more detail using the plastic

Maybe it should be: G.S.o.W - Gold Statues of the World - in this category the LE falls behind the G.S.o.W

Paul

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78030 01/28/99 03:29 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Soupy was also a regular 'guest' on a show at WISH TV8, here in Indianapolis, in the early 70's called "The Morning Show" which was changed to "Indy Today" after about six months. I got to know Soupy, White Fang and Black Tooth very well in 1971, when I started to work at WISH. The hosts of the "Indy Today" show were Wally and Natalie Brunner, who were from Indianapolis originally. Wally was the host of several nationally syndicated game shows (What's my Line) and "Wally's Workshop", which was a nationally syndicated show, about home improvements, that he both starred in and was the Producer. Natalie was his foil on the show. Hmm, I wonder if anybody has copied that format.

Paul (writing this while sitting in the newsroom directly under the Studio, where the show took place, so I can't tell what the weather is, since there aren't any windows)

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78031 01/28/99 04:36 PM
LamarB Offline
Seems like the fog here in The Fog Signal Building is gettin' thick!

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78032 01/28/99 06:37 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
What was the original subject here?

I used to listen to Soupy on WNNNNNbc in NY in the late 70's - Original home of Imus, and Howard Stern.

I'm sure that's where Tim also heard Soupy.
-So speak for yourself, John.

Bob(Robert's alter ego)
LOL

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78033 01/29/99 12:07 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
>>Well we now know for sure that Tim, Robert and I are over 50.<<

John, I'll eventually get there, but respectfully decline your little push. However, I did used to watch Hawaii Five-Oh. :-)

Paul, is the statue on the right missing a proper hat? Perhaps its another varietal. (Edition size: 7,123,986). Obviously deserving a special well lit case from Brady Inc.

Through a fog darkly,
__
/im

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78034 01/29/99 01:19 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
She (G.S.o.W) has her crown, although it isn't as well defined as the LE. The true variation is the limited depending on how much cologne is left in the bottle, or Chivas after all these years on the top shelf.

Paul

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78035 02/14/99 04:17 AM
Jake Offline
OK, before I get into this, I just want to say that I support the idea of SofL for a Y2k piece. The Statue of Liberty may not be much of a lighthousy-lighthouse, but it is considered a lighthouse. In fact it was the first one to ever be electrified.
Now, the Statue of Liberty has long symbolized America, what she stands for, and what so many came in droves seeking, from the Old World's "teeming shores" and poet Emma Lazarus stated in her poem about the statue, "The New Colossus."
Now, we all know how helpful lights have been since the beginning of our country, even before that. We declared our independence from Great Britain in the hopes that we would gain rights of free citizens. Now, in the late 1800's the Statue of Liberty came over to New York Harbor in crates, little did we know that it would stand for America from the time she was unveiled on. She may not have been too much of a navigational aid for the sailors, but for the constant flow of immigrants, she was a guiding light. Telling them that they were in America now, that they were home now. That they were free. The shackles and chains of the Old World were broken (as symbolized at the Statue of Liberty's feet).
So, as the millenium approaches, we are urged to look back, on all the times we have been through. On how we have survived so much, how we have been so determined as to never give in, to never give up our rights as free citizens of the United States of America.
And, lest we forget the words at the Grand Lady's base, "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free." And also, let us never forget the keeper who also shined the other lights, the others lights that said, "This way, don't give up. You are almost there. Just a bit further, and then you will be in America. America! Freedom is calling. Answer her! Answer the call of freedom! FREEDOM!"
So, as we still debate, let us remember our ancestors, their struggle, in both the Old World, and the New, to break fre of tyranny. So, in conclusion, I would like to say, that yes, there is a connection to the Millenium, the Statue of Liberty, and United States history. The Millenium sings, to us, to all, American, European, Asian, African, and South American, to remember the sturggles and victories of the last 1,000 years. To remember How we have won and lost the right to stand free. And, for all Americans, the Millenium gives us time to remember how we have won the right to stand free and say "I am an American, and I am proud! I AM AN AMERICAN!"
The Statue of Liberty symbolizes America, just as the other lights do, but it casts out and extra message, and extra light, touching each and every anxious face, young, old, rich, poor, it tells them that they are free, and liberty is theirs for the taking.
And in the words of that great line from the Broadway musical Ragtime, tehy came, and the rode, "on the Wheels of a Dream."

Jake (Stephen)

PS- John, if this doesn't work, I'm going to find a way to get that $20 to send to you.

PPS- So now what is next in this great debate, eh Tim?

Jakers
Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78036 02/14/99 05:35 AM
B
BuyGlass Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Jake nicely put, I still don't want it. Theres to many other lighthouses to be made before I would want the SOL in my collection. Theres just something about it that makes it look like memorobilia from a sightseeing trip. You can paint pretty pictures about the symbol but it doesn't make it look anymore inviting into my collection. If I need a symbol of Freedom to remind me of the greatness of the United States all I have to do is look at the American Flag and into my wife's eyes to know how thankful I should be. I don't need an SOL on the mantle piece. I would rather look at the stuffed Beaver.

imho,
SeAnDiEgO
Pres. of the Stubborn Lumberjacks Society

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78037 02/14/99 09:38 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Sorry, Jake..........The Statue of Liberty will never get my vote to be an HL. I agree with Sean regarding the ever-so-deserving LHs that haven't been reproduced. In fairness to all, I wouldn't want a "stuffed beaver" in my display cases either. The curios are reserved for Harbour Light's LEs and OEs only!

That's the word from the East Coast where the temperature has plummeted to the low 20's with overcast skies. Hopefully, we'll get some blue sky later for my photos I'm planning to take in Maine today.

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78038 02/14/99 12:34 PM
Jake Offline
Sean, one question, is the beaver a member of the Stubborn Lumberjacks Society?
Also, in my post, I was aiming more for the connection between everything as Tim put in his first post that someone would come up with a connection. So, I gave it a shot.

Jake (Stephen)

Jakers
Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78039 02/14/99 12:49 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Well said, Jake! Eloquent beyond years. Let those who don't want a SofL pledge not to buy it. More for the rest of us.

John

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78040 02/14/99 03:28 PM
B
BuyGlass Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
"I just want to say that I support the idea of SofL for a Y2k piece"

I understood the connection. I just don't support its production as the Y2K lighthouse, if one even needs to be made. By the look of the split it would be safer for Harbour Lights to pass on the idea. Again, I support your beliefs in what the SofL symbolizes. To many times people believe that the SofL is a symbol of the past and forget that it is a symbol of our future.

"Let those who don't want a SofL pledge not to buy it. More for the rest of us"

This is certainly true for anything that Harbour Lights produces. If they make 10,000 of them I can wait at least 5 years to decide if I like it or not. Of course Carnac the Great might be sticking his neck out a little.

"is the beaver a member of the Stubborn Lumberjacks Society"

Jake, the Beaver was once the Mascot of the Stubborn Lumberjacks Society and the Great, Great Grandpa of the current Mascot.

SeAnDiEgO

[This message has been edited by BuyGlass (edited 02-14-99).]

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78041 02/14/99 05:19 PM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Personally I like the idea of a SoL 2K piece and if HL produces it I would definitely like to be included on the list of takers. But, I also understand the argument for a more , how shall I say it, lighthouse-lighthouse to be made by HL for the 2K. So how about:
Point Montara Light, she was first lit in 1900, in 2000 it would be her 100th anniversary of lighting up the coast of CA. Also, HL is celebrating there 10th year and it would be fitting for a CA light to share in the celebration since its been awhile since they have done a CA piece. And it is a very nice piece...would be nice in one of those smaller sizes John was talking about.
..........Just a thought!!

Keeping The FLame,
Kat Waterson (HLL&C)

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78042 02/14/99 06:04 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Hmmm Kat -- "HLL&C" That must be the gret and benevolent "Habour Lights Lovers & Collectors"? Just checking...

John [Who founded the HLA during the 1997 Reunion]

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78043 02/14/99 08:06 PM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
Great sentiment Jakers and a nice piece of writing. I agree (or disagree), I don't look upon the "Grand Old Lady" as representing a lighthouse. She is an inspiring tribute to all who have come to her shores and I have visited her several times.

As for your eloquent essay, save it for a school project when the time comes. It should earn you an A or an A+, with just a tad of editing to throw out the parts directed at us "wackos"

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78044 02/14/99 11:41 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Ok, ok ... looks like I need to use all my fingers to type this one. No doubt I'll end many sentences in prepositions.

Quote:
Let those who don't want a SofL pledge not to buy it.

Excuse me John, but this sort of taunt is a bit weak. Taint a matter of 'more for the rest of us'. Tis a matter of what HL spends their not unlimited resources on. They can make only so many. Several folks think maybe they shouldn't release as many models in a year as they have been. Tis a matter of priorities.

Quote:
... it casts out and extra message, and extra light, touching each and every anxious face, young, old, rich, poor, it tells them that they are free, and liberty is theirs for the taking.

I was a bit surprised it took so long to get this type of response. Touchy subject, this. No doubt for some folks, arguing against the SOL is like arguing against warm cookies and milk. Who could forsake such an American symbol for a crusty backwater lighthouse few people have heard of?

Answer the following question: Tell me the lighthouse you don't want modeled, which HL would otherwise judge worthy of making in Y2K, so you can have the SOL Smiley piece?

You don't want:
- Ship John Shoal?
- Au Sable Point?
- Isle of Shoals?
- Rock of Ages?
- Saddleback Ledge?
- Whitefish Point?
- Detroit River Light?
- Eldred Rock?
- Cape Hinchinbrook?
- North Point?
- Sodus Point?
- Ft. Gratiot?
- Matagorda?
- Lydia Ann?
- Boca Grande?
- American Shoals?
- Arecibo?
- Ft. Jefferson?
- Cape Charles?
- Kingston?
- Coney Island?
- Esopus Meadows?
- Baker's Island?
- Duxbury Pier?
- Doubling Point?
- Mount Desert?
- Port You Get The Idea?

In reply to Jake and the unrepentent JC :-) I'll unrepentently quote myself:

Quote:
The history and magnificence of the Statue of Liberty is in no danger of getting lost in time - sadly thats not true for many work-a-day lighthouses. They deserve sculpting more than SoL.

Shine on Brightly,
__
/im (nary a crib among 'em )

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 02-14-99).]

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78045 02/15/99 02:34 AM
L
LuvLights2 Offline
L
I'm going to have to join the ranks of the uninterested. I really am not interested in a Statue of Liberty on the shelf with my lighthouses. I hardly consider it a lighthouse, as the name suggests its more of a statue. However if HL makes one I will feel obligated to purchase one. This will definitely be a candidate for "Early Retirement".
:-p
[This message has been edited by LuvLights2 (edited 02-14-99).]

[This message has been edited by LuvLights2 (edited 02-14-99).]

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78046 02/15/99 02:41 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Boy, Tim you even missed 5 of the 6 lighthouses I wish *the most* to be made right now:

Rockland Breakwater, Maine
Old Fairport Main Light, Ohio
Old & New Presque Isle, Michigan (matching set)
South Bass Island (Put-in-bay), Ohio
Old Point Comfort, Virginia
(Isles of Shoals being the 6th)

I sure hope these are not left out over the next few years!!

-RodW
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 02-14-99).]

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78047 02/15/99 02:53 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
First I shared with you a picture of my limited edition SoL, and then I showed you my Open Edition SoL and now after weeks of searching and sparing no expense or leaving no stone unturned.

Move over New Point Loma Mini!!!

Move over Rose Island Mini!!!

Here comes the SoL Mini.

Tim the thread is over 50!!

WackoPaul

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78048 02/15/99 02:58 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Tell me the lighthouse you don't want modeled, which HL would otherwise judge worthy of making in Y2K, so you can have the SOL Smiley piece?

Yes - Ship John Shoal?
TOL - Au Sable Point?
TOL - Isle of Shoals?
Yes - Rock of Ages?
??? - Saddleback Ledge?
YES - Whitefish Point?
TOL - Detroit River Light?
??? - Eldred Rock?
??? - Cape Hinchinbrook?
??? - North Point?
TOL - Sodus Point?
YES - Ft. Gratiot?
??? - Matagorda?
??? - Lydia Ann?
Yes - Boca Grande?
YES - American Shoals?
TOL - Arecibo?
Yes - Ft. Jefferson?
??? - Cape Charles?
Yes - Kingston?
Yes - Coney Island?
Yes - Esopus Meadows?
??? - Baker's Island?
??? - Duxbury Pier?
??? - Doubling Point?
??? - Mount Desert?

(TOL - take or leave)

And a few others I really don't have any interest in...

Pharos
Cape Agulhas SA
Longships
Macquarie
etc.

Looks like there's room in MY list for the "Statue of Liberty enlightening the world"

0 :>) 3:>) (My other side)

[but what the heck, you know most of us in this thread will buy whatever HL makes and we won't buy what they don't make!]

Re: Y2K SoL SMiLE - too warm & fuzzy for me #78049 02/15/99 03:32 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
While Paul was posting his message, I was working on mine. I didn't see his until after I posted mine.

But now that I know where I can get a SOL Minnie, I don't care if HL makes one or not.

(I'll skip the 'Mickey Mouse' descriptions.)

This horse is dead, let's all stop beating it.

John

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,039 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users