Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The "Crown Jewel" of Harbour Lights? #77764 09/12/03 08:40 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
If you read the topic "It's Coming", here at the Fog Signal Building, you notice the last couple of replies refer to the term "Crown Jewel".

According to Webster's Dictionary, "crown jewel refers to the most valued possession; the ceremonial objects of a sovereign, as the crown and scepter, that are heavily jeweled."

I made a comment that I felt the term "crown jewel" would refer to the best of the best, therefore, I wasn't thinking in the same frame of mind that Webster was. Now that I read the true definition, according to Webster, I would have to say that the Coquille River LE is the "Crown Jewel of Harbour Lights", because it definitely is the most valued possession of my Harbour Lights collection.

What do you think is the crown jewel of Harbour Lights? Please state your reasons why you feel this way.

What would you consider the crown jewel of the HL's you do have in your collection? Please state your reasons why.

smile Bob smile

P.S. Remember the "smile factor"!

Re: The "Crown Jewel" of Harbour Lights? #77765 09/12/03 09:58 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
My 'Crown Jewel' of my Harbour Lights collection is Long Beach Bar because of my association with the lighthouse, and the people who rebuilt it; my years of lobbying with HL to get it done; and my involvement in getting Harry and the staff the photos and video of the restoration process to help them creating this masterpiece. It was a great honor to meet Harry in person, and have breakfast at the Baltimore Reunion, and learn some of the steps involved in the HL process.
It was also a great honor that Harbour Lights allowed me to present a Long Beach Bar HL from them to Merle Wiggins and crew who rebuilt the lighthouse at a 10th Anniversary boat trip and luncheon.
Bob

PS Added after post 4
I agree with Paul the "Crown Jewels" of Harbour Lights are the Southern Belles. No mistake or short production runs due to breakage. Just 7 Jewels for the Crown that are coveted by all collectors and just limited enough at 5500 to make them available yet hard to get.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: The "Crown Jewel" of Harbour Lights? #77766 09/12/03 10:31 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
What do you think is the crown jewel of Harbour Lights? Please state your reasons why you feel this way.

What would you consider the crown jewel of the HL's you do have in your collection? Please state your reasons why.
Remember the "smile factor"!
My personal "nomination" for the "crown jewel" of Harbour Lights would be HL181 Thomas Point MD, introduced August '96 and retired a month later.
My reason would be because it was the first with much intricate detail. I've also heard several times that it is Bill's favorite. It's monetary value has escalated...some, but average. A 3-digit is in my collection, and I love it.

The "crown jewel" in my collection is HL135 Ocracoke!

This was my very first Harbour Lights purchase. I had started out collecting those hefty lighted things, the Leftons. Then one day, I asked on-line if there was a more realistic collectible line...and as you might guess, I was swamped with responses about Harbour Lights.
As it so happened, I was on my way to the Outer Banks the following week, and stopped by the old location of The Lighthouse Gallery.

There I met a gentleman who has now become a personal and dear friend, Bruce Roberts. After a much informative discussion, he suggested that Ocracoke would be a great place to start, and sold me a low 3 digit (which meant nothing to me at the time). It was smaller than most he had shown me...and rather plain in comparison, but it was also a real light I had visited. And for some reason, I trusted this guy!

I've now been to visit the real light more times than any other (Old Point Comfort holds a close second) and it's one of those lights that I get a very special feeling in it's presence.

My Ocracoke is signed by Bill, and I'm very tempted to have Bruce sign it as well!

Ocracoke sits as the "queen" in my collection.
Remember the smile factor!

Judy smile

Judy
Re: The "Crown Jewel" of Harbour Lights? #77767 09/12/03 11:06 AM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
CH1

Re: The "Crown Jewel" of Harbour Lights? #77768 09/12/03 11:27 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I agree with JJ that CH1 would have to be considered as the Crown Jewel of a Harbour Lights collection..

Having said that I believe the the Southern Belles might be considered as a group... the Crown Jewels of a collection... That is probably why I have them displayed as a group...

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: The "Crown Jewel" of Harbour Lights? #77769 09/12/03 10:02 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
As I stated in Bob's previous topic "It's Coming", Coquille River is the Crown Jewel of my collection for the reasons I listed. I also agree with Paul's selection of the Southern Belles as the most desired "Group". The Southern Belles surounding Coquille are the ultimate jewels in anybody's collection.

Rich
Re: The "Crown Jewel" of Harbour Lights? #77770 09/17/03 09:44 PM
TDSimpson Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I think the "crown jewel" of our collection would have to be our mis-spelled Cape Hatteras Beacon. We still haven't heard of another one showing up yet.

Tom & Diane

Re: The "Crown Jewel" of Harbour Lights? #77771 09/18/03 06:20 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I guess mine would be the Gold Golden Gate Bridge I won as a door prize at the last Bill signing I went to.

Eric
Re: The "Crown Jewel" of Harbour Lights? #77772 09/19/03 04:37 AM
JeffMarsh Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Anything Gold!! Or silver!

Re: The "Crown Jewel" of Harbour Lights? #77773 09/19/03 09:48 PM
Brent Offline
Mine would have to be CH 102. It was my first HL and was purchased in January, 1992. In addition, Hatteras was the first Atlantic Lighthouse that I ever visited...and that was in 1965.

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: The "Crown Jewel" of Harbour Lights? #77774 09/22/03 12:03 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Of the older HL's I really don't have an opinion as to which one would be the "crown jewel" as I don't have any of them and probably never will, unless I happen upon one at a garage sale - fat chance!

Of those in my collection "my" crown jewel has got to be my Sisters Island AP. Winning the contest that year brought me to Rosemont and my first ever meeting with the HL crew and a certain group of people known as Wackos! So having that lighthouse represents lots of great memories!

(But Mike, the Lightkeeper, from Troy will always be #1 Wacko as he was the first one I met. So the Hudson-Athens piece means a lot to me too! smile )

Re: The "Crown Jewel" of Harbour Lights? #77775 09/22/03 12:13 PM
Shirin Offline
Mine would be Ft. Niagara. It is the only one I have of the Original 17 thanks to a raffle from the Eastern Great Lakes Harbour Lights Collectors Club.

Shirin
Re: The "Crown Jewel" of Harbour Lights? #77776 09/25/03 01:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sue - Thank you for the compliment. You are one of the very few Forum Members that I have met, and yes Sisters Island is one of my favorites.

Well I guess that mine would have to be Hudson Athens. Harbour Lights did a real great job on this one, especially after they corrected the rail in front of the tower. They made it look as magnificent as it really is. Archetectually I think that the Hudson City Light Station was one of the best that the Lighthouse Service ever erected. For those of you who have not seen this lighthouse in person, it is quite awsome to see this structure sitting out in the middle of the river. It is truely the "crown jewel" of the Hudson River. Even if I were not involved with this lighthouse it would probably still be my crown jewel.

Re: The "Crown Jewel" of Harbour Lights? #77777 09/26/03 08:46 AM
Shirin Offline
Gee Mike, I feel so forgotten! We met this summer at your lighthouse. frown

Shirin
Re: The "Crown Jewel" of Harbour Lights? #77778 09/26/03 12:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My appologies. Yes we did meet at the lighthouse. It has been a long year. I guess I kind of relate to you more on the Lighthousing.net site.

Sorry
The Lightkeeper
Mike

Re: The "Crown Jewel" of Harbour Lights? #77779 09/26/03 12:39 PM
Shirin Offline
Thats ok Mike. It's been a long one here too. wink

Shirin

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,396 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users