Next Thread
Print Thread
Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77705 01/12/04 11:19 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Here\'s the original thread

Keep those comments coming, they are very helpful to understanding what's going on...

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77706 01/12/04 11:51 AM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
John,

I noticed that we had 53 posts in Part 1. My guess is that this hasn't happened in a long time, if ever. Rich hit on a topic that certainly brought out a lot of people with great ideas. It was nice to see their posts and to read what they had to say. I keep going over Part 1 and reread them over and over. Very interesting to say the least.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77707 01/12/04 12:39 PM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
OK, you asked for it:

I rarely post anymore because, as one of the precious few around here who doesn't have his nose crammed firmly up one of the Younger's behinds and who's never been afraid to say what's on his mind, I simply grew tired of being shot down & shunned by most of the long-winded know-it-alls who flood this forum with their so-called "expertise" and just can't stand to hear even one minor negative comment about HL/YA. The disclaimer at the top of this site clearly states that the posts herein "reflect the opinions of the individual" and that this site is supposedly "not affiliated with HL and/or YA" but that's a lot of hooey! The individuals who "run" this forum both "work" for HL/YA and can no longer view things objectively...just try to be an individual and speak honestly and see how quickly you're blown out of the water...

I'm also not fond of the direction the company has taken, flooding the market with a glut of open-edition giftware and polishing the GLOW line into the real diamonds, while the LE's have become clunky, overdone, hard-to-display cubic zirconium monsters...no wonder dealers are dropping like flies...I'm still a member, still buying a few lenses, Xmas pieces, and precious few members-only LE's but I've come to realize it's best to be seen and not heard around here.

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77708 01/12/04 01:06 PM
DMancini Offline
Wow, Rock. Sorry you feel that way. I certainly have not encountered the experience you have.

I will admit, I am by no means a "diehard" HL collector. We mainly only purchase the Long Island lights and a few of the Fresnel lenses. We just don't have the room or money to collect all the items that HL produces. Therefore, I don't come to this forum to talk HL, per se. I come here to learn about lighthouses and share information (events, news, etc.). I've been fortunate to meet several of the folks who frequent this board, and have found them to be wonderful.

I do want to respond to one of Rock's comments: "...one of the precious few around here who doesn't have his nose crammed firmly up one of the Younger's behinds..."

I certainly don't consider myself as having my "nose crammed" you know where. However, I am a former member of the Board of Directors for a local lighthouse organization. At our very first meeting ever, Bill flew out to Long Island to appear and brought LLOM to give out. That is just one example of the Youngers' generosity, which they have shown not only my organization, but numerous others across the country over the years. I don't kiss anyone's behind, but I AM APPRECIATIVE of the Youngers and what they do to support lighthouse preservation. They have certainly played a role in our efforts.

Do I think HL/BY/YA are perfect? Nope. Do I agree with every decision they make? Nope. But it is their company, and they can run it anyway they see fit. And I don't need to purchase every item they create.

/off soapbox

Diane
Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77709 01/12/04 02:20 PM
S
Sooner Schooner Offline
Wacko
Wacko
S
I try to check here about once a day, but the demands of life can alter that dramatically and for long periods of time. My main interest is actual lighthouse news. This is not the only forum that does that. I am not currently a collector. I find I can learn more by reading the posts more and chiming in on them less. Occasionally I will make a post when I think it is needed and can ADD something to the discussion. I don't see any reason to jump on the "band wagon" to add my 2-cents when the
half-dozen previous posts have repeated the same viewpoint. I think it is in good shape as it is. If you want to try to enhance it some how, that is fine. I don't think you can base interest solely on the amount of posts. The response to this thread proves that. I would not eliminate it either just because there are similar forums in existence.

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77710 01/12/04 02:52 PM
J
JimQuinn Offline
J
Thanks for the emai John. I visit the site at least 5 days a week, although I don't always log in. I enjoy reading 80% of the messages. I use the marketplace the most. Don't consider myself knowledgable enough to answer most posts. The site is great.

Jim

Jim Quinn
Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77711 01/12/04 03:21 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Everyone.

First and foremost, Keep the Collector's Forum going. For those of us in land-locked states, like Colorado, It provides a way to keep up on what lighthouse groups are doing and participate in their raffles. It lets us see pictures and share info on HL regional events. It gives us a way to chat and visit with fellow lighthouse lovers in the lighthouse blessed states.

Second, I would gladly pay $25 to help pay the costs of the Forums.

Third, I don't post very often because I just don't feel like it. I love reading everyones thoughts and opinions and sometimes I am moved to write, but usually I don't feel strongly enough
about the subject matter to bother. That's just me.

Fourth, after collecting everything lighthouse related HL produced since my wife and I first discovered them in 1996, we now only collect the limited editions and collector society related pieces. Someday we hope to get and original Cape Hatteras and Coquille to complete our collection of limited edition but we are not holding our breath. Money was one part of the decision. Space
was another.

Fifth, I visit the forums about once or twice a week. That is enough for me. I read the posts in the sections that interest me and move on.

Finally, I want to thank everyone who is a part of the forums. From John C. for all his work to Paul B. for all the pictures to Bill H. with his reviews to all the other forum members. Your opinions, thoughts, etc. make the forums interesting to read and provoke thought. Sometimes the subject area causes things to get heated but generally everyone stays polite.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77712 01/12/04 03:52 PM
A
Al and Kathy Offline
A
A long time ago we checked out the forum frequently and did some posting. I did most of the browsing and posting since the collection actually started as "mine" and then went to "ours". I had the same feeling others have expressed about not being "part of the gang" and that feeling is carried over at reunions. We did make it to one. I think that's a normal happening for people who are getting to know each other and spend more time together - even on the internet. Any new person on the block has to keep at it to become a "part of the gang." I didn't have time to do that.

Since retirement and moving to a smaller home this past year, we've had to stop getting lighthouses. That was a hard decision since we always got the same number. Can't display all that we have now. Even though retired, we still both work 3 days a week, and I have quilting as a second love. We don't have any lighthouse groups around us so I belong to 2 quilt guilds and work very hard for them. That doesn't leave much time for surfing on the web.

Does it mean that we don't love lighthouses, no way! We have other priorities for our time. I do come back to the forum once in a great while - especially if I'm looking for some information about a lighthouse. If you think you are helping get lighthouse information out there, keep at it. It's always been a great place to come to see what's happening in the lighthouse world.

Kathy

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77713 01/12/04 04:35 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Here's my story...

When I'm in the office, I check the Forums every day at least once, sometimes up to three times. Normally, I don't even log in, unless I see a post that I want to add my opinion to. As for my replies to posts, I tend to go with quality over quantity.If my opinion on a subject has already been spoken by another, I don't add to it. I guess I could start adding more, but I certainly do enjoy the Forums and the information they provide. for instance, getting a jump on the Door County WACKO event this May.

As for collecting, I've scaled back my buying to those that I've seen, simply because I could not afford to collect them all, nor do I have the room to display them. If I could make a change or two with H.L. it would be to lessen the amount of releases , and have more of the small, really limited "special event" pieces, like available onle to attendees of events. That would garner intest in getting people out to events and increase the value of ones collection with rare pieces.

Please don't mess with the Forums!!!

Mike

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77714 01/12/04 04:47 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I enjoy reading the Forums every day. My husband John always jokes with me and says, "Are you talking with your boyfriend again"?

Seriously though, my love for lighthouses came from my love for travel. I love exploring new areas and it doesn't get much better than seeing beautiful coastlines with the lighthouse as part of the back drop. I also enjoy reading and learning about the historical aspect of a lighthouse.

Without the Forums, I wouldn't have 1/10th the information about what's going on around the country with lighthouses. I count on people posting information about their areas events. This helps me make plans for the coming year for travel. I would have missed some beautiful areas of this country without the help of the forum members.

Secondly, I love all the friendships I've made through the Collector Forums. It is so nice to go to an event and put a face to the name. smile When John and I went to our first HL event, it was the 1997 HL Reunion in San Diego. We didn't know one person. We thought about it for a couple of months before we even sent in our registration. What we found out was that it didn't matter who you knew or what their status was with HL or the AOL online "keeper group". Everyone was so friendly and nice that we couldn't have had a nicer time.

Like many of you have already stated...let's keep this Collector Forum active. I was more than happy to send the $25 to keep the site running. I felt like I came out ahead by receiving one of Gary Martin's signed and numbered prints. I will be happy to donate $25 again for keeping this site open.

Lastly, I appreciate all the work that is put in by John and all the forum directors. Thanks to all forum members for their helpful information, beautiful photography, and answers to the many questions that are posted. This is my favorite place to visit online. laugh

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77715 01/12/04 06:40 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Jake Toering replied in a separate thread which I've closed. No offense meant - just keeping this thread on the topic without having two going at once.

Here\'s a link to his comments .

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77716 01/12/04 07:54 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
First of all, I have enjoyed reading all of the posts here. It's good to see so many WACKO's responding.

My collection of HL's started after going to the Long Beach Collectible Convention in 1993. My first purchase was Portland Head. I do not collect all of the lights nor do I care if they are Limited Edition's, Glow's or LLOM.

My interest in HL's found me checking the internet in 1996 for other collectors. At that time I was on AOL and found the first HL chat group and joined it immedately...I have to admit though I was more of a "lurker" than a poster. There were mostly men on that forum and I must say they were very knowledgable, which at the time was intimidating to me. I knew nothing about lighthouses except to say I like looking at them. The only one I had seen in person was Old Point Loma in San Diego. I was devastated when I was to late to go to the San Diego HL Reunion.

It was through these Forums that I met so many wonderful people that have become very dear friends. I have to admit that it is because of these wonderful friends that I continue to come back to the Forums. Yes, I still love lighthouses and HL's but the friends that I have made here mean more to me than any lighthouse or HL's.

It use to upset me when a few of our members started "sparing" about Le's over Glows. But now I realize that is one of the reasons we have this section "The Fog Signal Building." Everyone has an opinion and this is the best place to "sound off" so to speak. The problem with the written word over the spoken word is that without "inflection" you can loose the true meaning of a statement. Humor sometimes does not come through when that was the intent.

Now on to our Web Master, John C. He is a wonderful and caring person. He has made these Forums better and better every year. He is the spark that has brought so many people together. Without John so many of us would never have met. To say "thank you" does not seem enough to let him know how much I appreciate all he has done for all of us. This "thank you" also includes all of the moderators that help with keeping these Forums on track.

LET'S KEEP THIS FORUM GOING!
Ruthie smile

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77717 01/12/04 08:50 PM
Medicman Offline
Is the world perfect? Not even close..... but it's a great place to live ain't it???
I don't think the Forum is perfect. But I wouldn't be quick to change anything because I might make it worse.... and you wouldn't want that.
I enjoy checking into the forum weekly and sometimes more often than that and reading up on what's going on. I don't post because I don't have anything to say. Most of my lighthouse knowledge and information about events has come from this site. For which, I thank the people who do post. Yes some of them are a bit "windy" but most of the time are informative.
My collection of LH has grown over the 100 mark but I have had to slow down because of $$$ reasons. But I still watch the forum and Ebay for deals you just can't pass up. I mainly try to get the ones I've seen. With exception of the Xmas piece which I haven't gotten yet. I used Xmas money to pick up Ocracoke.
Things I miss..... Notification of the HL chats. Ive seen acouple but I always see them the day after or whatever reason I just miss it. But I haven't been in on a chat for some time now.
Another thing I miss is the lighthouse puzzles that was on the Forum. I know it was alot of extra work and I didn't know any of them so I never sent in a guess to which one it was cause I didn't have a clue. confused ... even with the clue he gave with the puzzle.
Some have asked for a Marketplace of Lighthouse related items such as other brand of LH and books and such but that idea has been declined. If this site is not affiliated with HL and the Youngers, then what's the harm? Have 2 Marketplaces... one for HL pieces, and the other for other stuff.
Well, that's the only thing I'd change.
Cant' smell the salt air from Kentucky but I really enjoy the stories and information from this forum.

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77718 01/12/04 10:36 PM
Rich Offline
John-Thanks for the email. I have been busy with first of the year details and had not checked the site.

I took the time to read all the previous post and appreciate the detail some of the members have gone to in expressing their opinions. I have been around from the beginning, even though my post numbers are small. At one time I was checking the Forums 5 to 6 times a day to keep up with the conversations. When I had something of interest and note, I would post a comment. Unfortunately there is less time each year (am I getting older?) and less opportunities to check.

I still make a point to catch up with the Forums at least a couple of times a week. I still only post when I think I have something new to share with the members. BUT I do post, even if only infrequently. From the sounds of other comments, there are many, just like myself, that consider themselves members even if they are not on the 'cutting edge' of the discussions.

I have always considered your efforts on our behalf above and beyond the call of duty. I contributed at the last call and would (will) certainly contribute now. Contrary to some thoughts here, I am sure that you would get at least 100 people to participate in supporting the Forums.

Some have stated that they 'disagree' with comments on the Forums, direction HLs in headed, clickishness of the members. I find this interesting. If everyone here had the same thoughts and ideas, what a dull place this would be.

Please continue the Forums and call on me for support if needed, I'll be here.

Rich cool

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77719 01/12/04 10:42 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I've been following all the comments being "aired" under this topic. I must admit I'm quite surprised that some people feel they've been "shunned" at times. Personally, I don't ever recall that happening. I do remember a few years ago, one former(?) registered member really got ticked-off over something and was really looking for some sort of verbal confrontation but I don't recall it coming to that.

This is not a "good old boys" network/forum. Perhaps some people misconstrue some posts and take them out of context. How would they define "good old boys" (this applies to good old girls too!)? Would it be the people who have done nothing but good and have continued to come back time after time to try to peak the interests of those who stop by to read what is available?

I read a pointed remark about placing ones breathing apparatus in another persons tail pipe. I must say that is not a fair statement and should be stricken from the record, your Honor!

I read a couple of remarks about Harbour Lights and their owners that were less than favorable. I don't consider that fair either. We as collectors support the company, but we don't own it. We tell them what we are interested in, and by golly, our wishes are often transformed into reality. But we can't tell them what not to do to survive in a sluggish collectible economy.

Think what you will and share your thoughts but don't knock the Youngers. If all the companies in the world were as kind, caring and generous as that family, there would be no sluggish economy. Many of us would have liked to see them just stick with limited edition lighthouses, but like the many other businesses, they need to branch out to survive.

If Harbour Lights was to close its collectible lines of merchandise tomorrow, I would still forever have the great memories of the good these people have done and the comradery they have fostered amongst people all over this great country of ours, and in some cases, the world.

Okay, now it's your turn to vent!

:p Bob :p

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77720 01/12/04 11:02 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Not to pick on my buddy Bob but perhaps we do create the impression that we don't tolerate a dissenting opinion around here.
"Think what you will and share your thoughts but don't knock the Youngers."
I know this is Bob's heartfelt opinion, and one that is shared by many here, but if this is an open forum, people should be able to express their opinion, even if we strongly disagree. If we want to welcome everyone then we have to allow them to speak their mind.

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77721 01/12/04 11:15 PM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Hey John, I know it's difficult to see your "baby" go through the phases frown . I peronally go through the page almost daily. Like some, sometimes I have something to add, sometimes I don't. I'm rather knew at this stuff having only been involved with lighthouses for about 3 years. I do however find a lot of information here laugh . I've joined a club and have learned even more and have gotten much satisfaction from it and the many friends I have there.

Now there is a rather large group I suspect that is tied primarily to Harbour Lights and the activities around them. When the economy is down, these people don't have the money to spend so they loose some of their interest. There is also a percentage I'm sure, only interested in their "investment". These are going to be upset mad at the current condition of the market.

As this is a rather broad forum for many topics and interests, I think it is doing quite well for the current situation. You've done a good job with it. Just wait till things turn around a bit and I think you will see better numbers to come. laugh

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77722 01/12/04 11:43 PM
Gebby Offline
Thanks John for the email.

I've been around this forum now for awhile and I am a very big Harbour Lights fan. I belong to a local HL club that meets monthly, I've been to the Baltimore Reunion and have been to a couple of events. I have visited and taken pictures of over 300 lighthouses and I have over 230 limited editions. And I still have the real desire to collect more. I check this forum every day without fail and I love the opinions that are given here. Be them good or be them bad, that's what keeps me coming back.

Yes, I'm not one for Glows or the Little Lights or the Balloons or whatever but I still have the passion for Limited Editions. To me, to stay in business is to try new things and that's how I've looked at the Younger & Assoc's business ways. Like it or not they are still going to try new things. We just have to deal with it.

People are going to come and people are going to go. For me I'm in it for the long haul. And in case you wonder why I visit this forum everyday and I don't post much? I'm a better listener than a talker.

Ken

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77723 01/13/04 12:18 AM
Dick Johnson Offline
This thread is one of the reasons that I have continued to support the forums in spirit, if not in actual posts. There are few days that go by that I do not take a few moments to look over the new posts and see what is happening. Although I know there are other lighthouse forums out there, I have not taken the time to visit them. I usually can only log in after I get home from work and since I only have a short period of time on the web, I have to be selective in what I look at. Usually it is email, ebay (for lighthouses I might be interested in), my financial sites, and the Collectors Forum. Once and a while I may have a few minutes to surf the web, but not often.

If I was to classify myself for these forums it would be as someone who only takes the time to post when I feel I can contribute, or feel strongly about a subject. I would consider myself as fairly knowledgeable about some HL subjects (those are what I try to share), and passionate about others, where I usually say more than I should. I have expressed my opinions on occasion and they have been appreciated, and on other occassions I have been critically analyzed for my comments. But in both cases I have found that those who respond are normally as involved and passionate as me in their opinions, and love of lighthousing. This is something that it would be bad to lose should the forums go away. This forum has not only moved my love for lighthouses to a higher level, but it has given me a place to learn more about my passion from those that share the enjoyment with lighthouseing in general, and Harbour Lights in specific.

If I was to offer advice as to how keep this forum viable I would offer the following:

1. Continue to encourage the 1000+ wackos to post unabated. Their commitment is not only informative, but their ongoing interaction is a great vehicle for insight from the "masters", or "committed" ones. Their commitment in time and effort is enviable and I wish I had the time to join in at their level. They are the ones that make the forums what they are.

2. Have the moderators "moderate" more. That means strands like this one that keep the ball rolling, or jump start it when the posts get thin. I know it is a sgnificant time commitment by them, but they need to understand that they are the ones that set the direction, tone and involvement in the posts for their area. Sometimes they need do nothing, but sometimes they need to jump in and get things going. Also it may take some new blood on occasion, but as other have said times, and interest change, and maybe there are some that need to step aside for whatever reason. A rule of thumb is that if you can't find a moderator to stay involved, then maybe the topic should retire with the thanks of all for the time they gave.

3. Continue to evolve the forums. When I started with the forums I was only interested in selected areas, but over the years I have on occasion dropped in on areas like lighthouse photography, the tip sheet, secondary market, rumor mill, and the fog signal building. For many of these topics I never had an interest, or for some they not even around at one time. However, they all hold a special interest to some segment of members. There is now areas for a wide variety of LH lovers, and even though some sections may seem to be for a "good ole boys club", I don't think the "main" members in these section would do anything but encourage you to participate. I just wish I had more time to get into the postcard group.

4. Keep John as the webmaster. Over the years I have watched the evolution of the collectors forums be molded by John's leadership and web skills, which have continued to make this site a leader in innovative and enduring web site design. If $25 dollars a year would keep this site moving forward give me an address to send the check to. Harbour Lights (the company) and Harbour Lights (the collectors) don't know what a gem they have in John.

As with most evenings that I log into the forums, I have finished my glass of wine, and have taken an enjoyable chunk of time to express my love for lighthousing. This to me is what the forums are all about, a chance to relax and enjoy something that makes the worries of the day fade, while involving me in a special joy. Don't think that a lack of posts is any indication that there are not those like myself that are not interested, or involved. Maybe something as simple a a daily web counter would prove the interest and involvement of others like myself. Thanks for the opportunity to express my opinion, and share my thoughts with other "wackos", even if my personal count is in visits, not posts.

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77724 01/13/04 02:38 AM
G
Gay Carr Offline
G
John,

Thanks for the email. I personally have had several things happen over the last couple of years that have taken time from HL collecting (the forum).

The two main reasons have been job situations & the inability to keep up with all the "new" issues from HL. Both involve $s !!!! Although we first ran out of room to display these wonderful pieces of art.

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77725 01/13/04 09:11 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Not to pick on my buddy Bob but perhaps we do create the impression that we don't tolerate a dissenting opinion around here.
"Think what you will and share your thoughts but don't knock the Youngers."
I know this is Bob's heartfelt opinion, and one that is shared by many here, but if this is an open forum, people should be able to express their opinion, even if we strongly disagree. If we want to welcome everyone then we have to allow them to speak their mind.
No offense taken, JJ. We both been at it too long at the CF to take anything personal.

After thirty-one years in my line of work, I consider myself a pretty good judge of character. Although I've only interacted with the Younger Family for the last six years or so, I find them to be wonderful caring people.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion. The same is true about other people expressing their feelings about that opinion. If I see something that bothers me here at the CF, I'm not shy about expressing my opinion, and everyone else should be encouraged to do the same.

Do we need a disclaimer: "Thin-skinned people need not apply"?

God bless you all, kids! Keep those posts coming!

smile Bob smile

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77726 01/13/04 12:10 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
As much as I try to read the Forums, I guess I missed it the first time around, but I too would be glad to pay a "subscriber fee" each year to keep this going. I'm not sure what post it was originally listed in, but I don't read all the topics all the time, just what interests me at the time. I'd be happy to pay, just let me know when and where.

Happy with the Forums in Chicago

Mike

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77727 01/13/04 01:37 PM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
I don't believe there is a problem here. I belong to another forum of completely different interest, and it is funded through donations, and memberships. Although if one doesn't have the funds, they are still welcome to participate.
Many times you won't hear from someone unless a familar topic comes up that they know much about, want to know more about, or can give some sort of cyber support.

I like to read the Forums here to stay current with each others lives, their trips, their hints on lighthouse hunting, and genuine friendship. I have never met so many kind people than here on this forum. And...yes, I have sold HL lighthouses here, for which I am very grateful to the buyers. But, that wasn't the soul reason for being here.
We are a diverse group; living all over the U.S., and have many, many different ideas, collections, problems, family situations, and many of us have very little time anymore.

I think we are doing a fine job here, and for those like myself who do not talk much, it's ok not to. Don't feel threatened to post.

For those of you who do post a lot, I hope you keep it up, because I am sure entertained.

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77728 01/13/04 02:22 PM
Brent Offline
Thanks for your e-mail, John!
When I joined the forums in August of 1999 I have to admit that it filled a big void that I had with regards to collecting HL's. I bought my first one in January, 1992 and for many years I didn't have an "outlet" to express my interest in them. When I heard about "the forums" I became an instant participant. With that came a certain amount of loyality. However, over the years my interest has waned....not in lighthouses but more or less in the direction of HL plus changes in my lifestyle.
The forums will always be "an old friend" to me, no matter what, but it is no longer the "center of importance" that it once was.
Sure, I still visit the site about once or twice a week but with my increased involvment in lighthouse preservation and education, it just doesn't maintain the same "high-priority" that it used to, I'm sorry to say.
John, you've done a spendid job with the site and I, for one, applaud your efforts.
I would hate to see anything happen to his site because it has served its purpose so well. As with many others I would be more that willing to contribute to its continued operation.

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77729 01/13/04 03:49 PM
LamarB Offline
My interest in HL began as an offshoot of my interest in the real thing and in LH preservation. I too have been a long-time member and I too rarely post anything any more.

I ran out of display space in my home. I have quite a sizeable collection, LEs only. Adding a room isn’t an option wink . I have HL’s displayed on shelves and in display cases all over the house and still more in their boxes in closets everywhere! Many I haven’t even seen in years! For me that’s just plain stupid; the pleasure of HLs for me is in seeing the sculptures regularly and selectively buying the new ones or chasing the “must haves” from the earlier editions. So, I decided not to buy any more.

Almost concurrent with running out of display space, my business suddenly began growing by leaps and bounds even as the economy was turning down and it has remained that way. I no longer take the time to read every post on every Forum topic every day as I used to. I do visit the Forums about once a week but rarely feel that I have anything to offer as a poster. Even my interest in LH preservation, my first love, has declined due to time constraints. I stopped visiting the HL website entirely because I still wanted so many. It is easier for me to practice the needed self-restraint that way.

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77730 01/13/04 07:29 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Randall Ronne told me about the Collectors Forums when we met at my very first "Bill" signing event. I've been a member for a couple of years and have enjoyed the forums, and hope the forums will continue on. As Randall said in his post, living in a lighthouseless state like Colorado the forums gives me the opportunity to enjoy lighthousing by proxy if you will. I am not able to travel to lighthouse states except once a year, so reading the posts here is extremely enjoyable.

I don't post very often, as my lighthouse knowledge is by no means in the leagues of the folks here. I can see where some people might be offended, felt left out etc. But it is hard many times to express what the true intent of your comments are in writing. I do not feel any of the people here intentionally set out to hurt anyone or leave them out. This is a large group of people, varying ages, backgrounds and alot of you have known each other for a long time. To expect everyone to have the same opinion is some what fool hardy and would make the need for this site unnecessary. And wouldn't life be boring if we were all the same? If I am offended by something, I have to decide is the subject serious enough for me to expend energy over it? If not I move on to the next subject. If so, voice my opinion and still move on. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion regardless of how wrong or right it is. That is what makes this America! It is sometimes hard to become comfortable with a new group of people, no matter what the situation, and I think a harder when all coorespondence is written. I feel that some of this group is closer because they have met face to face at various events and have know each other for a long time. It would be natural that they would be closer. But I haven't felt left out of the forums (though limited participation so far.

With regard to the Younger's, I must not be so bright?? or I've missed out on some earlier expresed discontent? I don't see what one's relationship with the Youngers has to do with how one feels about lighthouses? And if you don't care for how the Youngers run their business or produce their products then you do not have to purchase them. I have been so overwhelmed by their generosity to the lighthouse preservation communities and to the people that buy their products. If you look at other companies that produce collectibles, do they do the things these folks have done? Providing their products at no cost to raise funds for lighthouse preservation, to encourage membership in Lighthouse groups? To sponsor a reunion of collectors? Traveling and meeting their "Collection community at signing events"? I'm not so naive to not know great marketing, but somehow I don't think that is the main driver for the Youngers.

If funds are needs to help continue the forums, I would be more than willing to send the $$ just as I did last year. Even though I don't post very often, I look at myself as being more of a "Silent Partner" than a "lurker". I like the people here, and it would break my heart to no longer have the forums as a place to read about lighthouses and HLs.

Thank you to John for being a great Webmaster, and to the Moderators, I appreciate your extra effort in maintaining the different topics. And to the other members of the forums I thank you for sharing you knowledge and your lighthousing experiences with a landlocked lighthouse lover.

Melody smile

Melody
Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77731 01/13/04 09:10 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
WOW!!! Two Hundred and Forty Eight visitors over the current period. Seventy Nine posts to date on this subject. The new posts in other foums also seems to have increased dramatically since your email. What's the most posts a subject has gotten? Maybe we will set a new record before this post runs out of steam. Maybe Bob will make 10-12 one liner posts. I sure am glad that I had the nerve to make this post because this now looks like the Forums I remember.

John, it also sounds like the majority of the posters are willing to contribute $25.00 to keep the Forums alive. Maybe you can get Gary to do another picture even if it is 2-3 months later then last year. If not, you should not have to fund the Forums yourself. With or without a picture, I for one would be willing to donate $25.00 to keep the Forums going.

All posts have been very enlightning and it seems that whether you are a newbie, wacko, super wacko or saint, they all want the Forums to continue. I'm going to create a poll to see how many members are willing to contribute $25.00, with or without a Gary Martin Picture as a gift. If we can't get a picture, maybe the Youngers will contribute a few LEs( A GREEN WATER MICHIGAN CITY WOULD BE NICE ) for a drawing for the members making a contribution. This may entice some of the cliff hangers to make a donation.

Again, what a response and I hope that you are enjoying this John. You are the heart of the Collector's Forum.

Rich
Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77732 01/13/04 09:40 PM
sanibel
sanibel
Thanks for the e-mail John. I don't have anything new to add, but will jot down a few of my thoughts.
I have been a collector for many years now. My collection varies from LE's to LL's to lightships. I am also in the camp that is not the target audience for the balloons or the Golden Gate bridge.
I did however, purchase one of the dragons they produced and sold at the Balitmore reunion. Makes a wonderful addition to our clan table at the Scottish Games.

1. I have not been much of a poster from the start. I, like so many others can be catagorized as "silent partners" (I like that term better than "lurker.") I joined the Forum a few years ago, but liked that it was connected to the HL site. In fact, I did not check the Forum for long periods of time after it left the HL site.

2. I am also part of the many that have had life changes so that I have less time to surf or stay involved on the Forum. I have an 8 month old baby who has had some health issues and until a month ago, we have been spending most of our time caring for her and her needs. We also moved and I have been very involved with my career's professional associations and we have been working to get legislation through our own state, not leaving much time to chat about lighthouses.
Don't get me wrong, lighthouses and preservation are important and folks at work as well as all my friends think of me when they see a lighthouse or a reference to it. It warms my heart that maybe one of these people will later become involved in some way or at some point in time with lighthouse preservation.

3. I enjoy the Forum, but I do agree with those that have mentioned the "good ole boy/gal" factor. Knowing that many Forum members see each other at HL events or other Lighthouse events is going to lead to friendships and a degree of creating a group of people I would catagorize as "in the know" or "experts." Sometimes opinions are very one sided on some topics, but then again, I don't have to chime in with my opinion do I? I always find interesting information on the Forum and it adds to my HL interests.

4. The Youngers--Having collected other collectables such as Dept. 56 and such, I have never seen a corporation or family for that matter so interested in their collectors or what the collectables represent in the real world. One thing HL does that has not been mentioned yet is the education outreach. If you read books for schools or wish to present to schools on lighthouses, all you have to do is call them and give them the details and they will provide all the materials you will need. Yes, it is marketing, but it is also on hands education.

You can add in other factors such as the ecomony, the War, and the fact that the fad of lighthouses is like all other fads and it can and will fade somewhat. People that collect knomes for example know that, but they can still find new collectables and dealers.

I hope the Forum keeps going. I would love to see other ways of raising the funds to keep it going, such as a drawing.

Thanks for all your hard work and I hope the lights keep burning. smile

Eileen Dunlap
Charlotte, NC
Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77733 01/13/04 09:45 PM
LightHog_dup1 Offline
John, thanks for the e-mail. It really hit home, as I am one of the "lurkers" who has not been actively posting. I still brouse the site several times times a week and enjoy the information here as much as the first day I signed on.

Sometimes life just gets in the way. I still am also very active with my motorcycling passion and have now added a "crotch rocket" to my stable of Harleys. A new promotion at work has also occupied more time - work really is a "fun govenor". Enough excuses.

This site has provided me with valuable information as a new HL collector, keep me informed as to lighthouse activities, and most importantly introduced to a multitude new fiends.

I've loved lighthouses as long as I can remember, growing up with a view of Big Red from my bedroom window - but I just discovered HL about 3 years ago. My first goal was to collect all of the Michigan ligthts, then all of the Great Lakes lights. The lightships were cool too, so I needed all of them. The first Fresnel came out about the time I started so of course I need all of them. Well, as many of you know - things get out of hand, and now I can not find place to display all of them.

BUT, back to the subject. I still find the Forum a good place to be and if particitation is down, blame it on the economy or peoples busy lives - NOT something wrong in your efforts John.

I'll try to contribute more in the future, but please don't consider shutting down. I'm sure if Gary is willing, and you offer another fund raising print it will still be recieved as well as last year. I missed out by being too slow and would like another chance.

John, I appreciate all of your hard work to keep this going along with Paul and all the others who put so much effort into keeping it vital.

Best regards, and a big THANK YOU.
Roger

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77734 01/13/04 10:46 PM
ga light man Offline
Hi John and everyone else.Thanks for the email John.Yes it has been quite awhile since I have posted and my interest in lighthouses has not diminished at all.Like I realize that this doesn't have anything to do with lighthouses, and as I have mentioned before,I work for Delta Airlines here in Atlanta and we are doing well in spite of other carriers going down the tubes.I guess it helps with great management.
Plus I collect music memoriablia and am starting a business out of my home soon.Even so I know it isn't an excuse.I love this forum and I do check it daily and I wish for it to continue.I talk to Greg and Maureen at The Lighthouse Gallery all the time about my lighthouses,I guess I should express my liking of them here more often.
That was a great thread there Rich.
Rick

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77735 01/13/04 10:49 PM
ga light man Offline
By the way John thanks for the email and I would also lik to contribute to keep the forum going.
Just let me know when.
Thanks
Rick

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77736 01/14/04 12:55 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
HEY - Just buy what you like, dammit.

Ooops, sorry, wrong thread...

T

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77737 01/14/04 01:04 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Woooo Hooooo -- St. Timothy is heard from!

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77738 01/14/04 02:07 AM
smcclure Offline
Thanks for the email, John. Contrary to appearances, I do check the forums at least once a day, mostly to check on new lights for sale in the Marketplace, By The Numbers, and latest trends in the Secondary Market. I usually don't log in, so I guess I'm largely invisible, but I assure you that I am here and very interested in all aspects of Harbour Lights. I love the Mark Sherman Screensaver by the way, and am always hoping for an update. Regards, Scott

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77739 01/14/04 10:23 AM
Art Offline
Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

-The Fora

-Art
Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77740 01/14/04 04:19 PM
RRohweder Offline
I'm in the same boat as Art. I am also still alive.

OK. I admit that I haven't been posting in a while. Since last August I have retired (for a second time) and had my gastric bypass surgery. Have lost 70 lbs. and feel great. I play twice a day as a crossing guard at a local elementary school (which I enjoy much more than being a security director at a college even though it pays nothing).

Don't change a thing John, and I'll be happy to donate as well to help keep it going. I have had to slow down my collecting as I have simply run out of room. If I can't display it, why buy it? I now limit myself to west coast and Michigan lights. I have bought a few AB's that were Coast Guard related, but can't see buying balloons. I always wish the Youngers the best with their products, but only buy those of interest to me.

Rich smile

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77741 01/14/04 06:17 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Wow...this topic is the best thing since sliced bread! What started out as a kind of death notice became a rally-round-the-troops thing and brought more not-seen-in-a-while members back to rejuvinate the board. So, I guess that Rich's dissapointed words had just the effect he was looking for! cool

Keep it going!!! laugh laugh laugh

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77742 01/14/04 10:44 PM
Kaiz Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for the E-mail, John.
We still check the forums just about every day and continue to enjoy the many friendships that we developed due in no small part to Harbour Lights. THANK YOU!!!
Not so very long ago we had a wonderful little blonde individual who treated us like one of the family and always happened to let us in on all the little secrets brewing in HL-land. This always created alot of excitement and interest in both the forums and the chats. I know we still miss her very much. The Youngers are wonderful people and do care about their collectors but it still is primarily a business to them. It is unfortunate that no single individual within the company stepped into that role so badly left vacant.
Also, to jump on what my good friend JJ mentioned, the dealers wanted to be the first conduit to Harbour Lights as far as what new info would be coming out. HL granted them their wish. Now the dealers are closing up shop and/or dumping the excess inventory on E-Bay. I guess that conduit wasn't so special after all.
We were really hoping that the Reunion build-up would have started this past fall, I know with Bill's health issues earlier this would have been difficult but I believe it was REALLY needed. I'm afraid now that there will probably not be another reunion but I will sit and wait for the dealers to let us know.
We still collect all the LE's and still plan most of our vacations around lighthousing and will continue to do so. We think the forums have been great and thank you John for providing them. The forums should continue and we shouldn't need a photo or a gift to help contribute. Unfortunately, it does seem to prove out that interest is indeed slipping away, not only in collecting and in forum activity but also in our HL Collectors Club's meeting attendance.
I hope it does not continue down this path but I am afraid it will. If down the line the forums and Harbour Lights are no longer, we will still be visiting our HL friends and enjoying our collection for (I hope) a very long time.
We would probably post more if we felt we had something important to say, this time we felt we did. Hope to be still reading and posting for a long time to come!!!

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77743 01/15/04 12:10 AM
RIP Puls Offline
Wacko
Wacko
John,
Thanks for the E mail.Ilook at the forum when I can.I can't get on at work any more as its
a NO NO on the Veterans Admin. computers as it was explained to me!!!!I look a lot but do not sign in a lot.I get up at 0500 and get home at 1800 and as I have gotten older I am beat when I get home don't have a lot of time any more.I still collect and am active in our Tampa club.I am not a Super WACO but I am still A WACO!!! KEEP THE FORUM!!!!!!

RIP
Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77744 01/15/04 02:09 AM
2 Floor U Offline
Hey Lighthouseing Buddies
Don't sound so grim. frown Well here goes our response. We have always been amazed to see all the activity. John got you e-mail dated the 11th and just now logged on to get messages for the week. Does that tell you anything? Guess our lives are just so full. Maybe it is because we have our own business and work more than most. Not to many 8 hour days for us more like 10-12. And we have our kids and grandkids down the block. Also, involved in Community and lots of Church activities. I enjoy my HL more all the time, and love being a part of the Hoosier Club and all the new friends there. Not to mention working at Old Michigan City is such a pleasure. I enjoy the forum when I can. I know it is alot of work and guys put a lot into it. That's it no excuses. We are so glad it is there and support it when we can.

Doyne and Cindy

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77745 01/15/04 04:29 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
RIP...you are without a doubt a SUPER WACKO even if it does not show next to your name...it's good to hear from you again.
Ruthie smile

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77746 01/15/04 05:03 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
This will be a long post...

A number of members I emailed chose to reply by email rather than post. Here are some of their responses. I've edited them in a few cases to preserve their identity. I received a couple of others as well.

Quote:
I feel that the Forum is a very valuable resource. It is very reassuring in this declining collectors period we still have someplace to go and share our passion with others who are continuing on. My lack of participation this past year has nothing to do with declining interest.

There are several reasons. One, last January my husband and I lost our dear [pet]. She helped us through a lot of trying times and the loss of our parents. We still have not completely gotten over her loss even though we have 2 new little furry members in the family. Two, my job has really kept be so busy that I only check my personal email once a week and then it is off to other home projects. I still collect the LE Harbour Lights and will continue with that line only. There is not enough space or finances to collect everything HL produces or invents. I applaud their creativity and believe they must pursue other collectible pieces but that is their business need not mine. There is only 1 thing that has in the past and continues to upset me.

Collectors (or should I put it second marketers) are buying multiples and then selling them through the forums either at the same price or below market. How is that going to affect their value? I think we covered this quite a bit in the past but it still will effect all of us eventually. I will continue to browse the forums and may every now and then comment as time permits.

Thanks for all that you do. Just knowing you and Paul are out there to help all of us is the most reassuring fact of all.
Quote:
I enjoy the forum. Check in occasionally to keep up on things. I intend to sell more LE Harbourlights, approx. 25.
Keep up the good work.
Quote:
I only post now if I have a question.

I found your web site about a year before you became web master for the HL site. If you have those forums archived, you'll see for some of the topics, I was the only woman participant.

With the exception of a very few, you "gentlemen" did not make it easy to participate at the first site; however I'm not one to be intimidated, so I "lurked" (that term offends me) and continued to participate in spite of the not-so-warm welcome.

Then the sight moved on to HL. I hoped things would change, but they did not. New members were being asked to participate on a level (moderators) that I had never been asked to participate and I found that discouraging. It would have been wonderful to just have been asked. After all, in spite of everything, I was still a huge supporter of the site.

When I tried participating in the chats I felt like an intruder.

If you had not been to a reunion, you were left out. The conversations were all on a personal basis between those people who had met personally. That left most of us "standing around nursing our drinks" and feeling very uncomfortable.

I often wondered why these people didn't go to a private chat room, after all that's what they were doing.

I want to be fair; there were some people who were very nice. Mombo and I once talked long after everyone else had left. She's quiet a lady. I enjoyed talking with her very much.

I love debating; I was brought up in a home with parents that "insisted" that questions be asked and the world explored. Due to this upbringing, I not only respect other peoples' opinions; I thrive on them. (How dull this world would be if we all had the same thoughts and ideas.)

I have worked in human resources for twenty years and if I have learned anything about the human race, we need recognition. It keeps us encouraged. It keeps us motivated.

My only suggestion for improving the forums; the moderators (cruise directors etc. etc.) need to be changed every 6 months or so. It would be good for change and also give those members (especially the newer ones) who say they are intimidated by the old regime a chance to participate on a new level.

My husband was right; this was worth the time.
Quote:
I have used this site to register and sell many of my Harbor Lighthouses. It has served me well and, in fact, I was just about to relist a few that I have not been able to sell as yet. I downsized and moved and so was in need of space and I had to sell most of my collection. I always enjoy seeing what is listed and follow the information on the site.
Thanks.
Quote:
It has been so long since I posted I don't remember my user name or password!!

I do not have a computer at home so I could only do my posting at work and since I have changed functions in the company I have less time to use my office computer for personal stuff.

I was able to go through the forum this morning and it looks like I never left. It is the same thing with volunteer groups..same folks...same subjects....etc.etc. As for a solution so far no clue but I'll think about it.

If you'd be so kind and it's not to much trouble please forward my info. I'd like to get back into the forum when time permits.
Quote:
I pull up the forum on a daily basis. I like to keep up with what's going on and what's new even though I rarely post. I put in my two cents worth when I feel compelled but am by nature a quiet person even if it's just keystrokes. I think you do a wonderful job and very much hope that the forums continue as they are. You have my support.
Quote:
It has been over a year or more since I visited the Collector's Forum for lighthouse enthusiasts. It proved invaluable to me in closing out my lighthouse collection. I chatted with a number of terrific people who shared tales of their lighthouse visits with me...as I did with them. I plan to retire from teaching this year, and hope to have more time for lighthouse adventures, and also more time to visit your great site to chat with others.

Many thanks for the opportunity to get acquianted with your membership!
Quote:
I have used the forum on a regular basis for 11 months now. I haven't used in since the middle of December due to severe side effects from radiation treatment. I find the forum informative with useful information and friendly people. I don't know what other comments you are looking for or whether this is to gather information for revising the forum.
Quote:
I just tried to reply to your request... sadly, the thread was closed and would not accept my reply! My reply was lengthy - my typing slow - and, totally lost! So much for using the Forum...
My apologies to this one. I was closing the first file and opening the second when he/she tried to post.

Quote:
Thanks for remembering me for this email. I hope you get a huge response. Keep up the good work and know that there are a lot of lighthouse enthusiasts out there. We have several in our [Lighthouse Club] who do not have computers...
Quote:
Thanks for the email. I took a look at the link etc.
I am working toward super Wacko status.

I try to post a least a few times a week. While I am still very much
a lover of lighthouses and HL I think the biggest factor is simply this.........

The Lighthouse "FAD" is over.

Many of the registered now not looking or posting or did not post at all
had casual "FADDISH" interest at best. They are now gone.
Quote:
Hello, thanks for your info.
Yes Im' a still a member of Harbour Lights,and i do check time to time with a fellow collectors

keep in touch
Quote:
I have looked at your Forum many times in the past -- however, never quite thought myself knowledgeable enough to get into the game. I did go to the reunion in Baltimore and enjoyed it tremendoius. I fully intend to join the group on Door County. Thanks for the E-mail.
Quote:
I am leaving the company and will no longer have access to this email address. I will go into the collectors forum and update to a new address but don't have the time as I'm wrapping up a project for work before I leave for CA and my brother's funeral.

I will fill out the questionnaire in a couple of weeks.
Quote:
Thank you for spending the time emailing me. It appears to be some issues with the forums and I believe it has nothing to do what mentioned on the post. People like cool and new ideas. A site face-lift would be great. I have been a member since Nov 2002 and personally I don't care much for the InfoPOP board software you use. You are right about one thing... That it is going down hill fast. I hope this helps...
I am very appreciative of the kind comments some have chosen to make in these emails and in the prior posts. I must say I was feeling a bit down thinking interest was waining and that perhaps that was a reflection on me.

It is clear more can be done to promote the forums and that there are some things I can do to spruce things up a bit. I'll pledge to do that. You pledge to keep on reading and posting as you see fit.

BTW. I really like the 'Silent Partners' term and promise never to refer to those who only read as 'lurkers' again. smile

You are welcome to continue adding to this thread.

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77747 01/15/04 06:08 PM
chris g Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I haven't even had time to read all the mountains of replies yet, but here's my thoughts.
I STILL love lighthouses
I STILL love lighthousing
I STILL love corresponding with folks on the forum
I STILL love the events

BUT....
My life has been crazy lately.... We are in the process of building a new custom built home and I am acting as the general contractor. For anyone who has been through that process, that should be enough said. For anyone else who has not, believe me when I say that it takes a WHOLE LOT of your time.
Looking forward to the days when I can browse the forums again...

chris g

Chris G
Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77748 01/15/04 08:57 PM
K
KEWEENAW Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
Well, seems Rich has struck on an interesting topic here...

Personally, I tend to visit the forums 3-4 times a week, rarely logging on or posting, unless I have something to add that I think may help the topic. Even before I received Johns email I posted 3 times in one day, rare for me! Of my three posts, only 1 has generated some interest, my quest for info. on Michigan City E. pier. My post in "The Rumor Mill" has received around 3 responses, and my post on Boon Island's production #'s hasn't seen a single response. Maybe no one has this info., but then again maybe people who have Boon Isl. could post their serial # and we could have the "fun of the hunt" of trying to obtain it the hard way. My post on Michigan City seems to have generated some interest, so why not try to get everyone interested in this sort of thing? I know I would be intererested in, for example, trying to find out where Canadian production ended and Malaysian started on any given piece. Just an idea.

Finally, I believe the CF to be a wonderful asset to the HL community, and I hope it regains its former glory.

Rob

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77749 01/15/04 09:32 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
It appears like we have had close to 100 posts/emails on the Forums attibutes/problems and also appears that a good portion of the respondents want to keep the Forums going and want to support with new ideas and possibly help John with the costs. The Polls Forum has a poll to see if members are interested in supporting the Forums with money, but, only 42 of the 100 members posting in this Forum have responded. Let's show John that we are interested enough by going to this Forum and posting your support.

Enough said!

Rich
Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77750 01/15/04 09:36 PM
T
Tim3167 Offline
T
I have been a long time forum member but do not post often. I do read the disussion at least once a week. I do realize by not contributing to the converstation, I'm not adding to the value of the forums that much.

It does seem that alot of the disucssions these days are social in nature. It's not that that isn't a positive thing. It's just a different energy than in the early days when a group of people relaized that they shared a common interest and loved discussing just how rare and valuable Thomas Point had become.

The discussions about collecting happen, just more infrequently.

I would like to thank all of those that have been active posters and contributers to this forum and have not lost interest. It gives us lurkers great a great service wanting to find out current HL issues.

There should be some self congratulating going on here on what a great community this is.

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77751 01/17/04 05:04 PM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
I found the forums just a couple years ago while searching for some HL as gifts for my wife. At that time, I was new to even being on a computer. The rest, as they say, is history. What I have learned from some great folks here is truly amazing---- My photography has taken on new meaning to my entire family- posting pictures- scanning- printing- lighthouse info- HL info- the list is endless. Everyone here has always been great and patient with all my questions. John is one great guy, and my daughter Bethany and friend Amanda truly love him. My life has changed the past year, being so busy at work, more involved with new ministries at church, and making plans to buy a home closer to my wife's work and church. My posting may be down, but that doesn't reflect a change in my feelings toward the forums. I just don't check every thread anymore. I still look forward to becoming a super wacko someday!!

Bud
Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77752 01/20/04 01:07 PM
TDSimpson Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I also have been a forum member since the old AOL days and being a man of few words I just want to say ......

Tom

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77753 01/21/04 02:24 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
For those who would like to financially support the Collector Forums for 2004, please visit this thread:

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=000338

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77754 01/24/04 02:36 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I am a long time Forum Member and a Super Wacko.
I signed up the first day. I try to post as much as I can, but I work long hours and have three teenagers and a nine year old at home to keep me busy. Even If I don’t always participate I usually read most of the posts.

I love this forum and I am thankful to St John for all his work he has done to make this forum what it is today. But this forum was not made successful by one man. It was made possible because of the many forum members that dedicate their time in participating and keeping this Forum active. The main streamers are Paul, Bob M, Dave H, Wheland, Rich (Flacoastie), MtnHkr, Mombo, Brent, LamarB, JtimothyA, Art, Bob (rscroope), George(Pharologst), Joanne, Todd Shorkey, bright eyes, Terry Barfield, Rod Watson, Sthompson, Ron(RFoster), Oseabee and Digger. These are our forum users that have posted over 1000 and keep our forum interesting and alive. (I added Oseabee, he almost made 1000)

I think one of the most disappointing things that can happen on the forum is to write a subject and have nobody reply. That is where all the members can help. It is important to donate money to this forum, but it is also just as important to participate. Don’t allow dead air space on this forum. Make sure the subjects are kept alive. Every body has an opinion and need to voice them.

DANIEL
Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77755 02/23/04 12:05 AM
T
TERRY BARFIELD Offline
T
Hi all, I`ll admit that I haven`t posted or even looked at the Forum alot in the past year or so. My main lighthousing buddy, my wife, and I have divorced and I`m finding it hard to get back into the traveling swing.
One day I know I will get it in gear and get back out there. I still have my collection, but the funds are not as deep as when there were two.
Thats my story.....and I`m sticking to it. smile

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77756 02/23/04 11:53 PM
Gebby Offline
Hey Terry,

Good to hear from you again. I was wondering what happened to ya. Hope to hear from you more and to see you at our meetings. Keep in touch.

Ken

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77757 03/29/04 03:00 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I really lost interest in the Forums because of Harbour Lights. They cut the link from their web site to this one making it much harder to find this site. The rumor was some Dealers didn't care for what was being said here. The funny thing is that the link to the weekly chats always remained, I never have quite figured out the logic of that one. I guess the chat logs must be of less interest. This Forum and it's membership has done alot for Harbour Lights. Harbour Lights should have stood strong and kept the link.

Oh by the way, my nose where's the color of brown proudly. The Youngers have done a fantastic job supporting lighthouse restoration and I will always respect their contribution!

On another note, my lighthouse collecting hasn't decreased at all. Excluding some of the unusual variations I basically am only missing the Original Hatteras. Anybody got one cheap? Email me! wink

Sean
aka SeAnDiego aka The Beaver

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77758 03/29/04 11:37 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome back, Sean! I hope you'll visit us a little more often. There's been a lot going on here at the CF. We always welcome feedback from one of our favorite posters from the past.

I hope all is well with you and your family!

smile Bob smile

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77759 03/29/04 12:26 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Sean, nice to hear from you! I don't believe the weekly chats are logged anymore. Please drop in and join us once in a while. Attendance on chats has remained low too. I usually show up once in about every three weeks. Every now and then someone new shows up, probably from finding the chat room at the HL site. But very rarely do they return, or begin to frequent the forums, even though we tell them about them. But then that was always the case. Occasionally someone does decide to join us in the forums on a regular basis. If we had our own chat room, rather than using the one at the HL site this would probably never happen.

Re: Dwindling Interest in Collector Forums - Part 2 #77760 04/01/04 11:01 PM
B
bodielight Offline
B
I would like to add a note to this forum. I miss not having the chat logs due to working evenings. I used to read them the following day and there was a lot of information gathered.

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users