Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Selling on the Collector Forums #77589 11/19/02 01:50 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Since inception, we've had a general rule that only Harbour Lights could be bought, sold or traded on the Collector Forums, and then only in the "Marketplace Forum".

Over the course of the years, a few posts have popped up promoting some non-Harbour Lights lighthouse-related items. Those posting were asked to remove their post and reminded of the policy (or the post was removed by one of the Saints or Cruise Directors.)

Exceptions have been made. The current fund-raising sale of Gary Martin's Grand Haven lighthouse print raises funds for the CF. And opportunity drawings and pins and events that raise funds for clubs and/or specific lighthouses were encouraged.

Sometimes there may have been posts from a member about a special 'deal' available somewhere.

Certainly, there have been posts about lighthouse cruises, although I don't believe the person posting had a vested interest in the cruise -- they were just passing on information.

So does the 'line' regarding selling on the Forums need to be redrawn or kept right where it is?

Should individuals or businesses with lighthouse-related items to sell be permitted to post their wares? And if so, what, if any, limits should be placed on those posts?

Hypothetically, if a member sells 'collectibles insurance', should they be able to promote their service on the Forums?

If a member makes arrangements to conduct a lighthouse tour, should they be permitted to promote that tour on the CF?

If another member publishes a lighthouse book, should they be allowed to promote the sale of their book?

Should posts that promote a book, for example, as especially helpful or useful be deleted because those posts could encourage sale of that book?

Should all posts that directly or indirectly could be viewed as 'selling' something be limited to just one Forum?

Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77590 11/19/02 03:24 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
For the most part, I don't have an issue with the things that have been posted as "for sale" and such. You have created a fund raising section for clubs to use, and that should be the place they use. Speaking on behalf of a club who has used the forums to promote various oportunities, we do appreciate it and the exposure has helped us in our efforts to raise funds to benefit our adopted lighthouse.

All of us tend to promote certain books when we find them useful. Anyone asks about Great Lakes lighthousing and I will automatically refer them to Penroses's 3 books. Do I get a kickback or financial gain? I only wish. But maybe because the books are referenced and used, Penrose will update and improve them and we will all benefit.

That said, do I want to turn the forums into a lighthouse flea market? NO. I guess I would vote that you maintain the staus quo.

Dave

Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77591 11/19/02 03:33 PM
Pharologst Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I for the most part agree with Dave above, except that the MarketPlace has been abused in the past, both distant and recent. Collectors will place a limited number of posts offering to sell, while "Dealers" who may also be collectors tend to place many posts repeatedly. I don't have any suggestions as how to control such, but I sure don't want the Marketplace nor the Forums to become a "fleamarket" of stuff. Collectors expressing an opinion on the quality of a certain lighthouse item (book, cruise, etc) should be acceptable as long as it isn't in the financial interest of the person expressing the opinion.
OMHO.

Geo H.
Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77592 11/19/02 04:09 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
Only Harbour Lights.

Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77593 11/19/02 04:44 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
It has worked very well over the years as a Harbour Lights only site..... selling, buying & trading only in the Marketplace... I see absolutely no reason to change anything.

The fund raising efforts of clubs for lighthouse restoration are and should be the only exceptions....

How's the saying go?

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Paul L Brady

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77594 11/19/02 04:48 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I never visit the Marketplace so it doesn't personally matter to me what is sold in there. I have received emails from Members and Non-Members of this forum of things they have for sale, fundraising for lighthouses, etc... Personally this annoys me and it is promptly deleted. If I want to purchase, donate or even participate in any fundraising ventures I will go looking for it. I dont like spam.....or GLOWs smile Sorry I got a little off track. Keep all items for sale in the Marketplace, keep all Fundraisers in the Club's Forums and Lighthouse Duty. Those that are interested will go to these forums looking for it. Nothing irritates me more than multiple posts in Forums that don't relate. The General Forum gets abused, imho. We are not affiliated with Harbour Lights so why are we keeping some of the mentioned items off of the forums? I just had the lighthouse tour to Cape Romain/Georgetown and promoted it on the forums. I didn't know I couldn't?

Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77595 11/19/02 05:13 PM
eastpoint Offline
I agree with Paul. There are several places for groups to post fund raising items for sale. The Marketplace should be for those who want to sell their lighthouses.

No need to make any changes.

Hank

Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77596 11/19/02 05:19 PM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I'm pretty much satisfied with how things have been. I don't know who is doing the "watching" or "editing" but they have been doing a good job. My experience is somewhat limited, thus the label "newbe" but I agree with Paul also, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77597 11/19/02 05:56 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I'm with Paul on this one. THe Market place should be for Harbour LIghts only.

Bert wink

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77598 11/19/02 08:25 PM
J
JCRice Offline
J
I agree with mostly everyone...at least, I THINK so, I haven't officially counted...the Marketplace Forum should be saved for just posts about selling/buying/trading HLs.

And, I would vote to eliminate any of the "...if you're interested in _____(fill in the blank) lighthouse, dealer 'A' will sell it to you..." posts. I prefer that the Marketplace deal with only collectors dealing with other collectors (and, when I say "collector", I DON'T mean someone that has 40 posts in the forums and 37 of those posts are located in the Marketplace).

...Just one man's opinion...

--Jeff
Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77599 11/19/02 08:54 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I'd have to say that the status quo works for the most part.

I don't have a problem with someone organizing a trip to a lighthouse and posting it in the Forums, as long as it's either a fund raising trip or the individual has no investment other than wanting to help other enthusiasts.

I think that things can be decided on a case by case basis until there's a problem with that.

I'm for as much information on as many topics as possible here in the forums.

Dennis

Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77600 11/19/02 09:33 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I like everything just the way it is. It's working well so please leave it alone. Preventative maintenance ruins a lot of things that would just go on ticking and ticking and .....

Rich cool

Rich
Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77601 11/19/02 09:58 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Basically Paulie and I are in agreement and I think what has worked is not broken.

Here's my two cents...

Sale of HL models and related HL items should remain in the The Marketplace as has been over the years. (Sell your Scassis somewhere else.)

Solicitations from HL Clubs and Lighthouse Preservation Clubs (not just any club) to raise money for a Light or a Club to use in lighthouse preservation and restoration type activities should remain in the Club forum. Solicitations to donate to the Collectors Forums are of course just fine as long as they originate from the bill payer.

Otherwise for profit solicitations should rely on resources outside the forums.

I do not believe this exclusion should cover posts talking about a book, TV show, lighthouse model, or visual material, as long as there is not a solicitation to buy something. References to e-Bay ads are OK as long as they are not made by a seller or with an intent to solicit a sale. References to web sites should be done in the context of providing informational or educational value, not to make a sale.

Posts that are aimed at for profit sales but attempt to tie in to the Forums or Lighthouse preservation are not OK, imo. "Buy my book and I'll donate 5% of sales to the BugSwamp Lower Range Light Preservation Society".

As most of us know, there are tons of lighthouse related items for sale. We are all constantly bombarded with ads, mailings, e-mail, etc. trying to sell us something. I for one find it very nice to have these forums as a Commercial Free Haven.

No doubt there is some exception or wierd scenario I haven't thought of, but that's it for now.

Ad Free in the FSB,
__
/im

Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77602 11/19/02 10:12 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Quote:
I for one find it very nice to have these forums as a Commercial Free Haven.
Agreed!!!

Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77603 11/19/02 10:32 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Aren't we one big happy family of friends! I see no harm in offering other than HL's and HL related items at the "New Marketplace". If the powers to be want to keep other items from being offered, well that's all right too.

As far as I know, the CF is not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates. We tried to be but that was squashed. This is the reason I personally feel offering other lighthouse related items or whatever wouldn't hurt the CF. It would be a way of offering a deal to a fellow forumite before you post something on eBay.

Majority rules, and judging by what has been written in this thread so far, I'm definitely in the minority.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77604 11/20/02 12:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I vote to leave it as it is, I think if you open it up to other items the line drawn will be somewhat gray and it will become all kinds of nautical trinkets, A search of the word "Lighthouse" on Ebay just now found 7013 items up for sale, If I wanted to sort thru thousands of lighthouse items I would go back to Ebay. As far as members promoting their own items, I am not against it so long as they are regularly contributing to the forums not just posting to the Market Place forum.

It Ain't Broke

Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77605 11/20/02 01:28 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wagner:
A search of the word "Lighthouse" on Ebay just now found 7013 items up for sale
Mark,

Could you provide some kind of grouping synopsis of those 7013 items? I would help us decide whether or not to ask John to allow a flea market here. . . . (tic)

Dave

Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77606 11/21/02 12:30 AM
N
Nana Offline
N
Leave well enough alone!

Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77607 11/21/02 12:37 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Quote:
Originally posted by JChidester:

If a member makes arrangements to conduct a lighthouse tour, should they be permitted to promote that tour on the CF?

If another member publishes a lighthouse book, should they be allowed to promote the sale of their book?
I personally would like to know if a Forum member is conducting a lighthouse tour, has published a book, is a painter selling lighthouse paintings, or is a photographer selling photos. Many on the Forum have shared in the enjoyment of these creative, artistic works and it is a great opportunity to know that we may be able to purchase a creative item from a fellow Forum member.

There is a difference between a commercial seller and a person selling their creative work. I think it is better to be able to read or not read a post selling something on the forum than, as mentioned above, to get unsolicited emails.

I don't have a problem with a Forum member listing their website and mentioning that they have items to sell there.

I also don't mind the occasional pin being sold because someone had them made on their own.

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77608 11/21/02 12:59 AM
cclighthousebuff Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Harbour Lights only. The ebay auction site notion is best left on ebay. laugh

Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77609 11/23/02 02:07 AM
Gary Toth Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Let me start by saying that I don't particularly have anything to sell, Harbour Lights or otherwise, so I have no vested interest here. Having said that, if you wanted to have a place to put non-HL merchandise why not just add another topic area called "Non-HL Lighthouse Stuff". That way the New Marketplace stays pure. If you have no interest in non-HL items you never have to open the other topic. If you like lighthouse junk of all kinds you can browse at your leisure. If there's a concern about dealers adding thousands of items, then don't allow dealers to sell or advertise. I personally am always looking for lighthouse books of all kinds and would like a place to find things of that nature that are not directly related to HL. I'm sure there must be at least a few of us with lighthouse interests not directly related to HL. Since this isn't an HL connected sight there shouldn't be any legal or ethical issues. Anyhow, just a thought.

Gary

Re: Selling on the Collector Forums #77610 11/23/02 04:18 AM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline
Since there isn't any affiliation with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates, I see no reason why the Collector Forums should stay with antiquated rules. It can be done in a tasteful manner if done right, and certainly doesn't have to be lowered to the point of a "flea market" or "e-bay auction-type set-up". People don't just collect Harbour Lights; they collect pins, books, photos. They want to know about these things and others like lighthouse tours, for example. I say have a separate forum just for that and if you want to go there, fine. If you don't, don't.

Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,438 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users