Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77270 03/30/05 11:53 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
It's nice to see that our count on deck is at a new all-time high, 1541 registered members. I know many of them may have stopped checking in but it's nice to think that they may stop by to check things out every once in awhile.

Another thing you have to consider is some of our register memberships actually have two people working off of one screen name.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could get enough members registered here and committed to the CF so that Harbour Lights could produce a special piece in honor of all the efforts expended by our participants to keep this great site going?

How about a special 3000 edition of a light selected by a member of the CF who would win that honor through a special contest, lottery, drawing, or whatever. The label on the light would carry our site address, www.lighthousekeepers.com along with the name of the light. The piece wouldn't have to be elaborate and could resemble some of the more simpler pieces of the past. This would make the cost to the consumer very affordable, especially if it was only offered through the CF by mail.

Does anyone think this mission could be accomplished? Would anyone consider buying two if their total cost was under $100?

confused Bob confused

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77271 03/30/05 12:34 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I like your idea but 3,000 is too much.
I would like to see something like 500. This would be instantly valuable.
Look at the Bailey Harbour. It was just on ebay and went for $125.
This is the regular Bailey Harbor version and not the special Kim painted version.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11132&item=6163740260&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I would like it to be offered to Wacko status or higher (50 or more post)
We could limited it to, two a wacko but keep production no more than 1000
It would hold the same secondary market as a reunion piece.
Instead of one person deciding the lighthouse to be made, I would like the super wackos and saints vote on the lighthouse we are going to have made.

The more I think about this the more I love it. It should be okay for Harbour lights since it would be an instant sell out.

DANIEL
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77272 03/30/05 01:56 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I love the idea! Maybe something bigger than Bailey's Harbor, but smaller than a regluar LE. That'll keep production costs down.

I think it's better if the small pool of Super Wackos, Cruise Directors, and Saints votes, instead of everyone. We are the group who have been the most devoted to the CF over the longest time, and I think that should be recognised by exclusive voting rights. However, anyone Wacko and up should be allowed to vote.

I think it's a smashing idea. I would definitely purchase one to add to my collection. Brilliant idea, Bob!

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77273 03/30/05 03:03 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I would like it to be a regular limited edition.
Standard size.

DANIEL
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77274 03/30/05 04:22 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I think Bob’s idea and Daniel’s enhancement of Bob’s proposal is utterly fantastic. Five hundred to one thousand pieces would be a perfect number to be manufactured. But a full size piece of LE proportion would be necessary.

The piece doesn’t have to be another Navesink – but it has to be worthwhile. Dollars to donuts, it would sell out before it even hit the collectors’ curios.

Something like this would be a real shot in the arm – both for Harbour Lights and the WACKOS of the world. Make it happen. PLEASE?

bobo

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77275 03/30/05 05:29 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Saints should have the first pick of the production number.
Then Cruise directors
Then Super Wackos
Then Wackos

DANIEL
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77276 03/30/05 05:32 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Good idea Bob! I like the smaller issue, and the criteria for naming the lighthouse should be restricted to those members who pay their annual dues to keep the Forum running. laugh Anyone who wants a lighthouse should be able to get one from a lottery after all dues paying members have reserved one. Anyone can become a dues paying member during the drive to 300? 500? wink with a last day to join! If we have a full membership, no lottery. eek
JMO,
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77277 03/30/05 07:14 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Daniel,

Just out of curiosity. What does it take to become a SAINT in the WACKO world? I know the requirements from the religious aspect, but as far as I can tell, no one from the WACKO community qualifies.

For one thing, most of us are still alive. I think.

bobo

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77278 03/30/05 08:03 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
John would be the best one to ask.
But I believe it has to do with a reward for those that have done something commendable concerning the forum or collecting Harbour Lights.

Sthompson became one for his years of supporting "retired at retail".
Oseabee became one for remembrance of a great guy and a fantastic forum participant.
Bob M and Monobo became one for their years of massive participation. Only St John has more post then them.
FredKuhl, JtimothyA, Rod Watson, WackoPaul and Dave H for all the support they have given to the forum and other Harbour Light related items.

And JChildester was a Saint from the old AOL days before this forum was even started.

DANIEL
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77279 03/30/05 09:27 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I'd have to say Bob that you just have to keep posting and being active. I think it's one of those things where if you ask, then fuhgettaboutit. I've always been working toward it, and hopefully one day. You never know. smile

However, I do think that there are a few people amongst us who deserve Sainthood. There are a few more of us who support the forums, posting daily and constantly contributing. Of course, I guess what I think about it doesn't really directly affect anything, except for influencing the powers that be, but that's just what I opine.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77280 03/31/05 12:30 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I'll take two! How about another St. Augustine? All kidding aside, I think it's a great idea and I'm serious when I said I would take two. The only criteria I would suggest is the minimum post to allow you to be able to buy one piece is 50 posts(WACKO Status). After all the WACKOS are given their chance then the WACKOs should have a chance to buy a second piece. If any are left after that then any member of the Forums should have a chance to buy what is left. The proceeds could go to support the Forums for as far as the proceeds go. Hasbour Lights could handle the sales, leaving out the dealers, and ship directly to the WACKOS. HL could take a portion of the dealers profit for acting as the dealer/shipping and the remaining dealers portion would be earmarked to help support the Forums for a time. If a 1000 pieces were made and the suggested retail price is $50.00 per piece, Harbour lights could keep $40.00 and that would leave $10.00 a piece profit. That would be $10,000 profit for the Forums and should support the Forums for 3-4 years based on the $2,500.00 a year it now costs. Just thinking out loud.

Rich
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77281 03/31/05 02:45 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Realistically speaking, I believe the most workable scenario would be to go for a Little Light sized piece (or maybe an "enhanced" LL) that is limited and numbered. I rather doubt that HL would be willing to assign a normal sequence number to a special piece. However, a specialty number would allow the piece you are looking for and still not mess with those who have a "complete" collection of all normal HL production.

HL may not be interested in handling individual distribution, but that can be worked around. We might also be expected to guarantee the sell out of a production run. (This is pretty much what I believe Lighthouse Depot has to do with their special pieces.)

A large LL sized piece would be affordable to produce, and the pricing could be kept reasonable. Personally, I would suggest that part of the income from a project of this type go to lighthouse preservation and a portion go to support the Forums.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77282 03/31/05 12:00 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I was kind of thinking along Dave's lines. (Afterall, Dave has some experience in this) I think if something like this we're going to happen, we would have to do all the leg work as far as pre-selling it and then go to H.L. and have them make the piece. If I recall right, the minimum they will custom make is 500 (Ft. Washington Bell Tower?, Baileys Harbor) It would be fun to do, if someone had the time to do the legwork. The funds would pretty much need to be collected up front to guarentee the full sell out. Still, I'm not sure we could sell out 500 just through the Forums. The Door County piece was 500 and there's still a couple on the shelf at dealers in Door County. The hardest part may be deciding the piece.

Mike

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77283 03/31/05 12:19 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
So far I like what I'm hearing (Reading)! I would definitely be in the market for two. It's amazing what BobM and others have come up with since BobM opened up this topic. GREAT THINKING BOB!

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77284 03/31/05 12:25 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I think this is a great idea. I would also hope that some of the money could be directed to lighthouse preservation, possibly for the lighthouse chosen, much like the money raised from the sale of the Wacko badges. Lets hope that this becomes a reality. I am in for two pieces.

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77285 03/31/05 01:26 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Dave is right.
The LLOM would be the safest and easiest to convince Harbour lights to make. Dave is an expert in this area since he was the main catalyst for having the Baily Harbor Created.

I am against a painted enhanced Lighthouse. They are special at first then as the years go on, they are not worth more than the standard issue.

Even though the LLOM would be the easiest to work out, I am in favor of a regular limited edition I would like to see something that is special and would hold its secondary market value. I think something in the size, price and production limits of the Lighthouse depot figurines is the way to go. We can work out the hurdles.
We can have a lighthouse made that harbour lights will never make maybe like the one Rich wanted them to make. My idea for one is the Sapelo front range.
If the collectors know that it will have a small edition then we can fill an order even for an unpopular light. This is a sure win for Harbour lights to have a lighthouse made of one that would normaly have no market for it. The lighthouse will be popular because of its small edition and it being the first special Wacko Lighthouse edition. The other must, is that dosn't pass the $45 to $50 range which makes it easer to sell and allows more Forum members to afford.

A HL limited edition will hold its secondary market better than a LLOM. Thus making it more special.

I think the biggest hurdle will be coming up with the light.

DANIEL
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77286 03/31/05 02:41 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Daniel,

You can make a LL into a limited edition for all practical purposes. I really think HL will be hesitant to release a normal series LE number for a project such as this. However, it could be assigned a specialty number and then limited and numbered, as was the Bailey's Harbor set. The major difference in this would be the size of the piece, but with so many wishing for a return to smaller foorprints wouldn't this be the answer?

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77287 03/31/05 08:27 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I always wanted a collector’s limited Edition. I posted that probably 4 years ago.
It wasn’t until Bob posted about the forum indorsing a collectors limited edition did I ever see it being a reality. I prefer a limited edition lighthouse the size of Edgartown, Sunken Rock or The Ft. Washington MD and be a limited edition. And around the price range of say $35 to $50. If profit is not an issue, they could be sold for less. If we use Lighthouse Depot for an example, the minimum that could be made is 900
If we sell them for the standard harbour light markup, we would only have to sell 450 to get the money needed to order.

Dave
But concerning using the the LLOM instead of a L.E..
I understand where you are coming from. Kim said you are the expert on making this kind of thing work. The L.E. maybe too big of a under taking. And we all know that the Bailey Harbor thing worked with flying colors. I feel that we would have no problem meeting the Bailey's Harbor production of 500. If we sell them for the standard harbour light markup we would only have to sell 250 to get enough to order. Since our sales would have to be prepaid, the LLOM does seem more feasible.

DANIEL
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77288 03/31/05 08:52 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I don't want it to be too expensive. The thing I liked about Bailey's Harbor was that, at $30, I could easily afford it. If it gets much more expensive, it's going to be too much for me.

I think, though, that it would be nice to have something a bit bigger than an LLOM. Not an LE size, but maybe 25% larger than an LLOM.

If we make the piece too expensive, then there will be less of a chance of it selling as well. I think the price should be kept under $40, even if it makes a smaller piece.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77289 03/31/05 09:01 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
It really is a question of HOW MANY WACKOS would buy one or more of these pieces. I would go in for 2 and if it were the Erie Land Light I would go for 3 or more. The smaller piece would be my choice because of the cost to produce and the retail price. I would agree to support the lighthouse we choose, however, I think the lion's share of the profits should go to support the Forums in the coming year(s). A 30/70 split would be acceptable to me with the 70% going to thje Forums. I would go along with the majority on any decision made but it should be put to a vote rather then 2-3 people deciding. We could have all WACKOS and above give their ONE choice and the most popular 5 choices could be chosen. We could then have an election of WACKOS and above to choose their favorite of the 5 choices. The one getting the most votes is the one we make. It should be WACKOS and above because they are the ones that take the time to post.

Rich
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77290 03/31/05 09:10 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Daniel, I don't disagree with your thoughts, but I believe the concern will be using a LE number for a piece that is not made available across the board. HL is very committed to ensuring that all those collectors who have a "complete" collection of all LEs be able to obtain one to keep their collection complete. If they assigned an LE number to a specialty item it would potentially cause some of these collectors (and their dealers) to become very upset with HL.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77291 04/01/05 02:17 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Daniel, I don't disagree with your thoughts, but I believe the concern will be using a LE number for a piece that is not made available across the board. HL is very committed to ensuring that all those collectors who have a "complete" collection of all LEs be able to obtain one to keep their collection complete. If they assigned an LE number to a specialty item it would potentially cause some of these collectors (and their dealers) to become very upset with HL.
agreed
It has just been a hope for me that Harbour lights would make a special collectors edition with a low production of no more than 1000. I would like it to have green water and would even like to see a lighting rod on it.

It sounds like the LLOM is the way to go. I agree with Seagirt. It would be nice to punch up the size abit but hold the price around $30
That way probally all the collectors would be able to buy two.

DANIEL
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77292 04/01/05 03:14 AM
Don M Offline
As of this date, I am not at the Wacko level. I believe being able to purchase a CF special LLOM would be an incentive to many of us Newbies to reach that goal.

Don M

Don M
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77293 04/01/05 09:24 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
HL is very committed to ensuring that all those collectors who have a "complete" collection of all LEs be able to obtain one to keep their collection complete. If they assigned an LE number to a specialty item it would potentially cause some of these collectors (and their dealers) to become very upset with HL.
When I started this topic I proposed an edition of 3000. I suggested that because it would allow for collectors, other than forum members, to purchase it. This way the "complete collection" people who are not members of the CF would be able to add it to their personal collection if they so desired. I also asked if CF members would be willing to purchase two so the entire production run could be sold out without Harbour Lights wondering what they would do with the remaining unordered pieces. Then there is the possibility we might even get some new CF members out of this promotional piece.

Bailey's Harbor was a very small production run and I didn't hear any grunts of disapproval over that. There was no hue and cry to remove peoples heads for such a small production run of one piece. If the proposed piece in honor of the CF's commitment to promote HL's and lighthouse awareness could be made then maybe we should leave it up to Harbour Lights to decide how many should be made.

I would recommend a form be made available to CF members where you can order one or two pieces before production begins. Then an order form should be offered in the Legacy (on-line) where the diehard collectors can satisfy their need to possess this potential new HL offering. If HL feels some dealers may be offend, they could easily make arrangements to have the special piece delivered through dealers who would get a piece of the action. The exact edition size could be determined by the number of orders received within a reasonable period of time. If they only get 750 intial orders, make 1000 of them. If they get 1200 orders, make 1500 of them. If they get 2200 orders make 2500 of them. In other words, supply what the consumer requests but have some in the ready reserve for the procrastinators. After the ready reserve is gone, give them the "There's the quick and there's the bitten" routine.

Quote:
I would like it to have green water and would even like to see a lighting rod on it.
Dan, I love your thought on the green water and LR. It would be very special if the piece resembled the HL's of the past. No flag posts, fancy rails, freestanding trees, etc., just a simple replica in remembrance of the era that put HL into the world of collectibles back in the early 90's.

I don't think we should try to reinvent the wheel. I don't suggest that we try to tell what Harbour Lights should be doing with their company. What I would like to see if there would be enough support for such a project so that Harbour Lights might be interested in doing it.

I really think the Collector Forum contributed to HL's success and can influence their business climate in the future. I don't want to see this done as a LLOM. I would like to see this proposed LE be sculpted in the size of the Edgartown or Sunken Rock event piece, not too big but not too small. If only 500 are ordered, so be it. If 5000 are ordered, then that's okay too. If they sell more than that, we are going to need a bigger website.

wink Bob wink

P.S. - I disagree with the idea of using the sale of this piece as a fund raiser to support the operational costs of the CF. If Harbour Lights deems a portion of the proceeds should go to the restoration of the particular light sculpted, then that's fine with me.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77294 04/01/05 12:15 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
There's a lot of "if's" involved here. In my opinion, the only way this would work as strictly a "forums only" piece would be to have a smaller, affordable and most importantly marketable light. It would need to be something that has a broad appeal the would stimulate a forum member to buy a couple extra to fill out the entire purchase requirement of even 500. For example, if we did something like the Algoma Peirhear light in Algoma WI. Me, I'd buy probably 3 or 4, for myself and family members, because it's a light that we're all familiar with. Someone else, on the other hand that's not familiar might only buy 1. I think the pricing and size issue would work themselves out. Even LLOM size or a little bigger for the $30.00 to $40.00 range would be acceptable to most, since I think a majority of us are running aout of room anyway. The biggest problem would be picking the piece and the logistics of getting the piece to those who bought it. The piece would need to have a pretty broad appeal to sell well.

This whole idea, which I think is do-able as a small edition Forums piece would I think require the following:
1) A popular light that most would agree on and be prepared to buy even one, but hopefully more.
2) A person or persons to take charge of the project and handle all of the finacial and logistical aspects of the project.
3)Pre-payment before ordering to make sure at least the cost of manufacuring and shipping the piece is covered.

Personally, I kind of like the idea and think it would be kinda cool. Let's keep talking!

Mike

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77295 04/01/05 03:05 PM
Bob48 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
As for size and price I'd go with the Ft Washington Bell Tower/Sunken Rock size. The base should be large enough for two figures, one photographing the other waving, that are obviously Forum members. I'm sure one of them would look like me, at least to my imagination. As to which light, I guess that's what polls are for. I would hope enough members would participate to make the poll representative. Production could be based on many methods - preorders (show me the money), speculation (if you build it they will come) or combination. As to which light, I vote for one easily accessed so we could all post a picture of ourself at the light with our model (perhaps posing as the figure).

Bob, just plain Bob
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77296 04/01/05 04:03 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M:
Wouldn't it be nice if we could get enough members registered here and committed to the CF so that Harbour Lights could produce a special piece in honor of all the efforts expended by our participants to keep this great site going?
Why would someone who is not a CF member buy a piece designed to honor the members of the Forum? Why would HL allocate a normal sequence product number for a piece aimed at only 1541 people, disrupting the complete collections of those who are not Forum members?

The LH Depot pieces carry "HB" designatiors. Bailey's is 674 - a special edition number. The 600 series is used for signing event pieces, thumbnails, all sorts of "specialty" items.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M:
P.S. - I disagree with the idea of using the sale of this piece as a fund raiser to support the operational costs of the CF. If Harbour Lights deems a portion of the proceeds should go to the restoration of the particular light sculpted, then that's fine with me.
Why would you want a special edition light that is designed to honor Collector Forums members not to support the very existence of the Forums? This becomes a win-win-win situation. CF members win because they get a very special piece just for them. The Forums themselves win becuase they get the financial support that they need. HL wins because they put out a product with a guaranteed sell out, and make a segment of their collectors very happy in the process.

You want this project to have the potential to happen, you have to be realistic. LL is affordable to produce, sell and ship. Ask for one that is larger than normal, not a problem. Ask for green water and I bet it will happen. Lightning rod - not sure - is this an OSHA or potential litigation issue? (Partly in jest, but unfortunately I may not be too far off in today's world.) Want people on the light - I bet Harry would include them if he could and it was practical. My concern on this one would be packing/shipping. If an enhanced LL size, the piece would be wrapped in soft foam, not in a specially designed fitted hard foam container.

My educated guess is that HL would consider this, but we will have to guarantee the run (i.e., pay the entire bill whether or not it sells) and we will have to distribute. While a challenge, this is do-able.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77297 04/01/05 08:54 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
It looks like there are two proposals to follow:

1. The Harbour Light Forum exclusive
The LLOM with a small production of 500 and a small price of no more than $35
It has to be a little bigger than the LLOM, lighthouse should be the size of Edgartown, Sunken Rock or The Ft. Washington MD. Have a special HL number and would be hand numbered. A limit of two would be available to Saints, Cruise Directors, Super Wackos and Wackos. The choice of numbers would follow as Saints first, then cruise Directors, then Super Wackos Then Wackos. If the orders are still not filled, the above mentioned would have first choice for extras. If any were left over, they would be offered to none-Wacko Forum members(less than 50 posts). If still any left over would be posted on the new market place.
It would have to be fully sponsored and prepaid for by all the above. Dave H would be highly envolved because of his experience with the Bailey Harbor.
The proceeds would go to this forum.

2. The Harbour Light Forum limited Collectors edition.
Standard L.E. price. $75 to $85
Production would be time limited.
The choice of numbers would follow as Saints first, then cruise Directors, then Super Wackos Then Wackos, then rest of forum members. Then society members. An order form would be offered in the Legacy (on-line). Lastly dealers.
Since this would be a Limited edition, the lighthouses would have to be sent to dealers first, just like the Society Piece. No risk to Forum members. Some dealers probably would not want us to have the advertisement because of the market place.
May have to call it the Collectors Edition and leave off the word forum.
Would like a special enhancement for the Forum members like green water or lighting rod.
Profits would go to dealers. Maybe Harbour lights could make a donation to forum.

--------------------------------------------------

The above are the two proposals that I put together. I took what the forum members wanted and then used the information that Dave H supplied and came up with the above information.

I feel that both of the above could be done. The Harbour Light Forum exclusive is the easiest, gives more control and I feel is more of what we are looking for. I also feel that we should start the ball rolling with it.

The Harbour light Forum Limited Collectors Edition should also be explored but because of it being a L.E. it will take a lot longer to enact. My guess is at least 6 to 8 months longer than the Harbour Light Forum exclusive. It also isn't a sure thing since many other players are envolved and may not even take off the ground.

My opinion is Lets do both Get the Harbour Light Forum exclusive started while we look into making the Collectors edition work. I think this should make everyone happy.

DANIEL
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77298 04/01/05 09:31 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Since a dealer normally pays 50% of retail for a piece, why couldn't the CF become a dealer (through a member) and have the normal "dealer profit" go to the upkeep of the forums. HL makes their costs for the light, no dealer should mind because they don't normally handle the special pieces, the members get their special piece for a price they can pay and hopefully, everybody is happy.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77299 04/01/05 11:14 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
My opinion is Lets do both Get the Harbour Light Forum exclusive started while we look into making the Collectors edition work.
I agree with Daniel. Why not try for both options. I can't hurt and it just might work.

bobo

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77300 04/02/05 01:18 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I've taken the basic ideas from this discussion to Kim and gotten a positive response. Not to say "yes" at this time, but to consider it when and if we can decide what we want here.

It would not necessarily have to be a lighthouse that wouldn't otherwise be made, she said. She does caution that it takes from 6 months to one year to go from selection to production.

So, that said, let's hear from more CF Members and our 'silent partners' as to selection of the lighthouse and how we'd propose to handle it.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77301 04/02/05 10:19 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Harbour Lights Forum where's that? Perhaps not to ruffle any feathers there should be a lighthouse made honoring all of the collectors clubs versus just this forum. Most members of the Collector Forums are members of Clubs.

imho

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77302 04/02/05 10:47 AM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sounding better and better every time I check into the forum.

How should we go about picking the lights we could agree on? confused

Should it be something that hasn't already been produced or go for a LL version of one that has been done as an LE?

I believe that this is where it's going to become really interesting!

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77303 04/02/05 11:46 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
How should we go about picking the lights we could agree on?
Good question, Bert! This task may be easier said than done. It's easy to pick a light, but harder to get everyone to agree on it. There are a few things that will have to be considered:

1. The light should be one that Harbour Lights hasn't replicated yet, no remakes.
2. The light should be well known enough to promote sales.
3. The light should not be one that Harbour Lights is considering so we don't rain on their parade.
4. The light should be interesting and different to generate the feeling of a "must have".
5. The light must be desireable to the majority of CF members.

Quote:
Perhaps not to ruffle any feathers there should be a lighthouse made honoring all of the collectors clubs versus just this forum. Most members of the Collector Forums are members of Clubs.
"No part is greater than the whole", therefore, I wouldn't recommend deviating from the original idea of honoring the Collector Forums with a special piece. There are numerous clubs doing wonderful things out there. Lighthouse awareness and restoration is extremely important to these various clubs. Many of these clubs got their roots through interaction at the CF. Some may have been established clubs prior to the beginning of the CF. Personally, I would rather keep the CF as the focus of this proposed special piece. We are all members of the CF, but we are not all members of each individual collector's club.

Quote:
I've taken the basic ideas from this discussion to Kim and gotten a positive response. Not to say "yes" at this time, but to consider it when and if we can decide what we want here.
That's encouraging info, JC. Once again, Harbour Lights listens to its collectors. It's nice to know that even at this early stage the suggested idea has gained some credibility. The key to the success of this idea will be CF member input and participation. We need to hear from everyone who reads this thread. If this thread fades out after a couple of dozen posts then we are not serving the interests of all. We need participation from a large sampling of CF members. We need committment from potential purchasers to avoid ending up with a white elephant result.

smile Bob smile

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77304 04/02/05 02:31 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Couldn't we pick a lighthouse like we pick the Wacko pin?
Collectors submit their favorite lighthouses
They are reviewed that they meet the criteria.
Then it would be voted on.
Maybe a second choice incase Kim would have a problem with the one we pick.

Each submission must attach a picture for review.
First thing are we unanimous that it will not be a remake?

St John is right we need to hear from the rest of the members

DANIEL
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77305 04/02/05 03:35 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Quote:
"No part is greater than the whole
This is exactly my point, this is why I am suggesting that one single light be made honoring all Harbour Lights Collectors Clubs not just the Collectors Forum's. Harbour Lights should already have data recorded as to which lighthouses have been requested over the years. They could pull the ones out that they already intend to create and put the rest as a top ten list on their web site allowing club members to vote on their favorite.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77306 04/02/05 05:29 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I like this idea, here are my suggestions:
Borden Flats Lighthouse near the USS Massachusetts Memorial

Lubec Channel Light for the First Lady of Light

Five Finger Lighthouse

Jim
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77307 04/02/05 08:40 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I have to agree with Bob M. The CF should be at the center of this decision. While the individual clubs are important to their respective light(s), how many of them are actually CF members and better still how many of them even collect HL lighthouses? If the individual clubs are interested in having a special club piece then they can control their own destiny.

If individual CF members are willing to obligate themselves to buying at least one and in most cases two pieces that should at least account for 250 of the 500 piece run(LLOM size). I would still rather go for the LLOM or a bit larger piece rather them a full size piece. The perfect size would be the size of the Lighthouse Depot pieces. I would still commit to 2 pieces of that size in the $50-$60 ea. price range. I still feel strongly that CF members(WACKOS and above) be given first choice as to the number of pieces they want. The remainder of the pieces should then be offered to CF members under WACKO status. Lighthouse clubs could then have a chance to buy what is left if they are not CF members. My feeling is if a lighthouse club member does not enter into the CF then they should not have a say in what is made. If they are interested in having a say, then they should join and be active enough in the Forums to make WACKO status. If a member of the Forums is a club member then they should pass on about the CF and encourage their members to join if they want a piece of the action. We CF members are helping to support the Forums so we should have the first say. If there are members that are also supporting the Forums that do not post then they could be an exception to this rule and be allowed to purchase one or two pieces.

I have also reconsidered my original thoughts on the picking of the lighthouse and feel that BOB M and Dave should be the ones that have the final say in what piece is made and what size this piece is since Bob came up with the idea and Dave will probably do the lion's share of the project since he is the most familiar with doing this kind of thing. We members could come up with suggestions but someone will have to make the final decisions and I feel very comfortable with turning over this decision to those two members. After all, how can a retired squid and a cop not be above board and ethical enough not to make a good decision(you guys ever hear of the ERIE LANDLIGHT)?

Rich
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77308 04/03/05 02:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Have we been able to get 100 people to help out funding the CF's yet?

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77309 04/03/05 09:29 AM
catzb1 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Rich,
Thanks for supporting us non Wackos who have paid our dues to support CF! We should have a shot at ordering one or two before the general population. Just because we haven't made 500 posts doesn't mean we don't care, just means that maybe at this point in our lives we may have alot going on and don't have the time to post as many times as we would like.

Cathy

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77310 04/03/05 11:20 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Cathy,
Your only 21 posts away from WACKO status so it is not an impossible feat to reach 50 posts before something actually happens. Give yourself a goal of 1 post a day or 5 posts a week if you only get on the Forums once a week. Welcome new members in the Welcome Forum and you will have your 21 posts in a couple of weeks.

Rich
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77311 04/03/05 11:39 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Rich you beat me to it.
Cathy
All we are asking for is 50 posts. And you still have probably months to get ready.
All any one has to do is to keep posting welcomes on the Welcome forum till they reach 50. When the first wacko pin was being made the requirements were that you had to be at Wacko status (50 post). At that time I had something around twenty post. I made sure I had the 50 posts in time to purchase the first pin and had fun doing it.

Donations of money are very important and I agree just because a collector doesn’t post a lot that doesn’t mean he or she doesn’t care. You may be participating more than anyone else by reading all the post. I am a fine example of that, I am one of the first to register on this forum and my post are now just approaching 1000.

The good thing about the wacko requirement it gets more members involved.

DANIEL
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77312 04/03/05 11:48 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wagner:
Have we been able to get 100 people to help out funding the CF's yet?
No. Close, but no.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77313 04/03/05 12:25 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I nominate the Jones point Lighthouse.

It is plain but symbolically it is everything we need
It is centrally located so that no favoritism to a southern or northern light.
It is very popular because it is only a few miles from our nations Capital
It has not been done by Harbour Lights.
It is the right size for a enlarge LLOM.

It is the oldest inland light that is still standing. It leads ships up to the Capital, where our country is managed.
That is symbolic that this forum is the first forum that is still standing that lead collectors up the river of collecting. It leads Collectors to the head of the Lighthouse figurines management, Harbour Lights.

The Jones point Lighthouse is next to the capital
The forum is right next to Harbour lights

Jones point is centrally located for lighthouse lovers everywhere
The Forum is centrally located for all lighthouse lovers with no favoritism.

I know it is kind of plain but it is the right size for an enlarged LLOM and I know that Harbour Lights can really spruce this one up that it will be awesome.
The main thing is the symbolisium is awesome.

http://www.beaconsofhope.com/jonespoint.htm

DANIEL
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77314 04/03/05 12:59 PM
catzb1 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Rich and Daniel,

Thanks for the encouragement. I try to post a comment every time I visit this site. True, we are probably looking at months before anything happens, so I am fairly confident that I will make Wacko status before that.

Cathy

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77315 04/03/05 01:45 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Or you could do what I did, take one snow day and post in 49 topics. I really wanted an avatar!

How about a reunion tie in, if we could get it in time? (Though it seems that timing is unlikely.) Take a lesser-known area light, and make a small version of it. The only problem might be the timeframe there.

Otherwise, Jones Point could be a good idea. The only problem might be that that is DC's only lighthouse. For those from that area who have possibly been waiting years for Jones Point to come as an HL, they could lose their only chance to get one of "their" lights scuplted for all to our much smaller group.

It might be a better idea to go with a light from an area where there are other lights that can be sculpted nearby. Because of that, we might want to go with a New England or Great Lakes light. In those two regions, there are many more lights, many minor, that could be made, and leave others for the regular HL productions.

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77316 04/03/05 02:06 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Otherwise, Jones Point could be a good idea. The only problem might be that that is DC's only lighthouse. For those from that area who have possibly been waiting years for Jones Point to come as an HL, they could lose their only chance to get one of "their" lights sculpted for all to our much smaller group.
Here is a quote that John relayed what Kim said:
Quote:
It would not necessarily have to be a lighthouse that wouldn't otherwise be made, she said. She does caution that it takes from 6 months to one year to go from selection to production.
I think we want a lighthouse with symbolisium, neutral ground and somewhat popular.
I would like a lighthouse that is somewhat known and not one in the middle of nowhere.
I can't see harbour Lights rushing out to make this one in the near future anyway. Even though it is well known to lighthouse lovers and is located in a tourist area it is relatively not well known to the general tourist, like the st Augustine lighthouse is.

DANIEL
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77317 04/03/05 03:27 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I could certainly live with the Jones Point Lighthouse. What better way to commemorate our Forums then a lighthouse from our nation's capital. If I were from Virginia, Maryland or DC I would be quite happy to have this lighthouse represent the Forums. The selection of the lighthouse will be the hardest part because everyone has their favorite lighthouse and will want it from their part of the country. Choosing this one will be a part of everyone's country.

Rich
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77318 04/03/05 04:15 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
An other good point about doing Johns Point is since it is plain it wouldn't have enough detail for Harbour Lights to be interested in making a full size L.E. But it would have plenty for a Lighthouse the size of a larger LLOM, the size of Edgartown, Sunken Rock or The Ft. Washington MD

DANIEL
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77319 04/03/05 05:11 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Another good point about doing Johns Point is since it is plain it wouldn't have enough detail for Harbour Lights to be interested in making a full size L.E.
Daniel,

You are definitely correct on this point. It is obviously plain, basic and simple. But is it possibly too plain? It is about as attractive as a converted garage built in the 1940’s. In fact it looks very much like a chicken coop that was located on my uncle’s farm. Even to the structure on top -- except the chickens had a weather vane.

Of course, I agree that centralization of the light is a wonderful feature and the location makes it more of a national rather than regional treasure.

Just my thoughts – I will purchase whichever lighthouse the WACKO’s eventually decide upon recommending. My vote will go along with the majority -- no matter where it is located.

bobo

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77320 04/03/05 06:05 PM
kory63 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
What a great idea, a light recognizing the Forums!
The accompanying dialogue is extremly interesting and just convinces me of how these Forums present views that can raise so many posts and enlighten about the entire LH topic.
My views are these: I will buy at least 1 of whatever light is selected; I think a light larger than a LL but smaller than an LE is the most feasable; I will definitly vote in the selection process and not be upset by whatever the majority chooses(I haven't been disappointed by a WACKO Badge selection yet); I don't have any nominee for a representative light but recognize the desirability of those mentioned
Finally a question: Bob's initial post states 1541 registered members of the Forums! I am #1544, registered in Oct.2003 and there have been many new registrants since then. Why the discrepancy?
Looking foward to the succesful completion of this worthy activity.
Rick

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77321 04/03/05 06:43 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
It is about as attractive as a converted garage built in the 1940’s. In fact it looks very much like a chicken coop that was located on my uncle’s farm. Even to the structure on top -- except the chickens had a weather vane.
Bob
I thought it look more like an old country schoolhouse.
Imagine what harbour Lights could do with it.
Many of the figurines we buy look neat and attractive
But in reality some of the lights are plain.
Why is this any less desirable then The Cape Hatteras beacon or Castle hill?
Many things can be added to the figurine. The water is right behind it, so a boat could be added. It is next to woods so Trees also could be added. This also an unusual light compared to the others. It would be different.

DANIEL
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77322 04/03/05 08:15 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Finally a question: Bob's initial post states 1541 registered members of the Forums! I am #1544, registered in Oct.2003 and there have been many new registrants since then. Why the discrepancy?
Rick,

I don't have a clue. Maybe some have just dropped out? Or passed away? Who knows? I'll bet St. John could provide us with the correct answer.

bobo

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77323 04/03/05 08:18 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
If you go to those links at the top of the screen, click directory, and search by user number, you'll see that there are MANY gaps and mixups in the oder of usernames. Always wondered why....John?

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77324 04/03/05 08:19 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
I thought it look more like an old country schoolhouse.
Daniel,

Wish I would have thought of that. The school bell might have been placed in the tower.

Or to bring it one step closer, maybe an old country church with a bell in the steeple and a cross on top?

Hope y'all realize that I was just having fun. No matter what the outcome, both Rick and I will be among the participants.

bobo laugh

Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77325 04/03/05 09:54 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Heres an other picture

://www.cblights.com/lights/jonespoint.asp

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=439

DANIEL
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77326 04/03/05 09:54 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint

DANIEL
Re: CF Registered Members - 1541 Read on! #77327 04/04/05 12:19 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
The member number is a meaningless number created by UBB (the forums software company). The only time it is important is if you are searching for postings by a specific member. The reason it comes in to play is that you can modify your displayed name from what you registered as. Don't try to compare one person's number to another, it will not compute.

Greg, you need to research somewhere other than Shanklin. Jones Point is in Virginia. The only way it will be in DC is to be towed across the Potomac. It sits in Alexandria under the Woodrow WIlson Bridge. Part of the confusion may come from the fact that one of the original corner markings for DC is located on the grounds of the light.

Time to start a new thread. Discussion is continued here .

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,582 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users