Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77111 03/01/07 12:13 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The introduction of HL699, "Barking Rocks", will definitely generate varied opinions as to whether or not a fictional lighthouse belongs in a Harbour Lights collection. My personal opinion would show it doesn't.

You might say, "You haven't even seen it in person yet, why would you feel that way?" My reply would be, "Get real!" Yes, lets stick to replicas of reals lighthouses, past and present. This attempt at introducing a fictional light does not belong under the label of Harbour Lights. It should stay under the David Winter label for all those who collect such fictional replicas of cottages, buildings, or whatever.

More to follow....

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77112 03/01/07 12:16 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Right on Bob.

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77113 03/01/07 12:47 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
As someone who firmly believes in lighthouse preservation, i. e., preserving all that we can, this piece rubs me wrong. What exactly does it represent?

It seems like a lighthouse that has lost it's entire foundation being glorified by dogs barking into the night.

I don't collect David Winter cottages or any of the Thomas Kinkade stuff, so I don't begin to understand this. I guess a fantasy lighthouse isn't required to represent reality.

Sorry Tony, but what were you guys thinking? Maybe it would help if we knew something of the marketing strategy, or the reasoning for producing such a piece.

Seeing it in person won't help me. I really don't like that bottomless lighthouse.

Judy

Judy
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77114 03/01/07 02:03 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I feel it's definately a piece to attract new collectors. Those more into fantacy then history.

I see it as more a DW piece then a HL piece. I think HL should have used a different numbering series.

Might fit nicely with Lord of the Ring collectors.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77115 03/01/07 02:29 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
As someone who firmly believes in lighthouse preservation, i. e., preserving all that we can, this piece rubs me wrong.
I am also into preserving everything we can. And if that is a representation of how a real lighthouse has looked, than I am all for it.

I guess there is a place for fictional lighthouse, but I aggree... they should be a differnet series.

So, while I have no doubt that it will be a lovely piece, I think it should be seperate from our "normal" HLs.

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77116 03/01/07 03:01 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Lets face it - compared to other Harbour Lights this piece is nothing but ugly!
I will not be buying one!
HCS

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77117 03/01/07 04:12 PM
Bob48 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would prefer that the piece would not carry a Harbour Lights label but rather a David Winter label. That label could carry the "produced by" information that indicates it was created, manufactured, etc. by Harbour Lights and would carry the quality of that production. "HL699" would indicate that it carries the quality, tradition, research, acuracy and charm that have been inherent in Harbour Lights since the beginning. Fantansy has not been one of those factors. Harbour Lights is a business and product line expansion is one path to growth. General Motors has many product lines, each with its own nameplate, but "GM" is not the hood ornament of all of them.

The only fantasy pieces in my collection are those made by my daughter for 3rd grade art/history projects.

In any case, I will not buy it. I haven't visited the actual light nor have my fantasies taken me that deep into non-reality.

Bob, just plain Bob
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77118 03/01/07 06:38 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I agree with all of the above!
Particularly that it should NOT be labeled as a Harbours Light, but as a David Winter's piece.
I will not be buying this one or any others like it. I prefer reality to fantasy.

Debbie
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77119 03/01/07 07:07 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
The only fantasy pieces in my collection are those made by my daughter for 3rd grade art/history projects.
BobM,

Maybe you should let your daughter give it a try with lighthouses. Her's might turn out just as good -- or better.

Quote:
Particularly that it should NOT be labeled as a Harbours Light, but as a David Winter's piece.
5lights,

I agree with you. Maybe a Flag# like DW101? Or may FL? But not HL.

bobo

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77120 03/01/07 08:03 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Okay....let's make it clear....I'm saying this out of a sense of fun and nothing more.

Perhaps if Harbour Lights would release a certain number with the intentional misnomer, "Barfing Rocks," it might attract dyed-in-the-wool collectors who crave rare pieces with mistakes.

Now....in all seriousness....I have nothing against fantasy or non-representational pieces, and could dream up a few entirely on my own....and probably a few that would appeal to other HL collectors. However, I don't believe in making unjustified homages, no matter how formerly accomplished the designer might be. "Barking Rocks" has a lot of very crude, illogical, busy detail to occupy the eye for a few brief moments, but absolutely nothing of substance to justify its introduction into the Harbour Lights line, especially at so extreme a cost. If Harbour Lights is trying to expand its market and attract different kinds of collectors, why would it defeat itself with such an expensive piece? Unfortunately, I know just enough about seaside locales, the law of gravity, brickwork, the use of a straightedge, the logical flow of water among rocks, etc., to pronounce this piece a failure on every level. I also know enough about grammar to understand that the promotional fiction presenting the piece is in grave need of punctuation at the very least, and of rewriting at the very most.

Some years ago, Lefton [or some other company] put out a couple of fairly hefty lighthouse fantasy pieces that were infinitely more detailed and appealing. Oh sure, they had big, blue resin breakers washing against their cliffs, and the windows on the upper floor of the house were wildly incompatible with any architectural consistency, but the pieces still provided enough to entertain the "mental eye" that I was briefly and sincerely tempted.

I have no objection to "flights of fancy," though whether I want Harbour Lights to make them is another consideration. If the company could do a bang-up job of it, who knows. But no amount of forced veneration can make me admire this piece, especially when I have seen David Winter do infinitely better. Evoking his name as somehow sacred just doesn't work. This piece is a dead failure.

Danny

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77121 03/01/07 08:18 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
So after all the comments etc. I thought I had better find out what it is about. So I just had a look at the lighthouse.
Hmmmm.... pretty . But not really something I would want to add to our Harbour Lights Collection.
I would think there are many HL collectors of this opinion!
It will be interesting to see, if this fancy will fly!

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77122 03/01/07 08:57 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
This has been one of the best "threads" in a long time....

Quote:
Perhaps if Harbour Lights would release a certain number with the intentional misnomer, "Barfing Rocks," it might attract dyed-in-the-wool collectors who crave rare pieces with mistakes.
"Barfing Rocks"... I like that one! That's a Good one..

Quote:
This piece is a dead failure.
Who knows... but if it dosen't fail than I'm a French Poodle!!

Boy, I sure wish David Armstrong was still alive! He could have been a guest artist for HL and created a LE of the Winter Harbor (Mark Island), ME lighthouse that I have been waiting patiently for years.....

And for the record, I am no longer laughing about this piece but rather shaking my head back and forth... "To each his own"

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77123 03/01/07 10:08 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
There probably is a large market for fictional lighhtouses. So I can understand why HL wants to expand into this territory. but I still think they should have a different numbering series.

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77124 03/01/07 11:24 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Barking rocks in my opinion is a dog, however, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I have seen David Winter pieces that were nice, but I don't like this one.

I agree it should have a different number system/name.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77125 03/02/07 01:09 AM
Bob48 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Also, why "Barking Rocks?" Where's the dog, seal or sea lion. Rocks don't bark. wink

Bob, just plain Bob
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77126 03/02/07 11:48 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would like to add that I have nothing against David Winters. Debbie & I talked about some of his work and really like it, but we collect HL's becauce they are a replica of a real lighthouse. We are very big history buffs.

When I heard there was going to be a guest artist, I thought he/she was going to work on real lighthouse, maybe they had a favorite that wasn't done by HL yet.

Stan M
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77127 03/02/07 12:13 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I poked around this morning and found the David Winter website. According to his site there are 13 David Winters dealer in the United States.

How many collectors can there be?

Mike

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77128 03/02/07 12:59 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
The thing that is most negative for HL is that there are still a few collectors who will buy every LE that comes down the road. It's a piece like this that will kill off the few remaining loyalists. And once you stop buying all of them, it's real easy to slide into not buying most of them.

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77129 03/02/07 01:03 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Or any of them......

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77130 03/02/07 01:14 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
There certainly has been a lot of discussion on Barking Rocks in this thread and in the original thread about a "Guest Artist". I believe we all recognize the fact that Dave Winter is a well known and respected sculptor. We also recognize the fact that this is an attempt by Harbour Lights to introduce another phase of offerings from their fine company. For this company to grow, they must come up with new and innovative ideas. They are catering to their faithful HL collectors by reducing edition sizes and producing only the highest quality replicas. For that, we should all be thankful.

Despite their efforts, most of us feel fantasy/fictional lights have no place in a traditional HL collection. It's bad enough we have often discussed our dislike for GLOW's, aka open editions, but now we are entering fantasy land with a HL number. This puts a serious amount of pressure on those die-hard collectors who must have one of everything released with the coveted HL number. In turn, many dealers make be getting stuck with these pieces on their shelves at collectors turn their backs at this attempt to merge real lights with fantasy lights.

I haven't spoken with my dealer as of yet, but I will advise them I'm not interested in this piece. Besides being a non-traditional HL, it is also an extremely expensive piece at $125. The not-so-die-hard collector would find it not very appetizing to cough up $125 for this offering. They would much rather purchase two regular HL LE's for their collection than what may just become a "white elephant" in the eyes of the HL collectors.

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77131 03/02/07 02:43 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Was no pressure for me. I have already sent email to Harbour Lights asking them not to autoship it to my dealer. I would have spent $200 on a Point Bonita with a bridge. That's no fantasy! Point Bonita still has me barking and throwing rocks!

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77132 03/03/07 04:48 AM
Rock Online
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
As much as I respect David Winter as an artist, this one looks like someone slipped up and fed Hillsboro-zilla after midnight...and even though I like it in a whimsical kinda way, who has the room to display a monstrosity like this anymore???

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77133 03/03/07 11:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't see any pros here at all. Even the name, "Barking Rocks" is a turnoff. Pieces like this can only devalue the "real" Harbour Lights, which are struggling as it is on the market.

As I posted earlier

What will be next??

Another "guest" artist??

Perhaps Dean Griff of "Charming Tails"

I can see it now

The Squashville Light complete with a "lightMOUSE keeper" and a fire fly that lights up in the lantern room.

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77134 03/03/07 03:39 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
A firefly that lights up in the lantern room
Good one Mike! laugh

Debbie
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77135 03/03/07 05:05 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
If you want a lighthouse with a mouseKeeper you got to have Ed Seale as your guest artist. wink :p laugh

Stan M
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77136 03/03/07 05:28 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Or maybe we could use " The Grinch Who Stole Christmas ." He's done for the year and is probably looking for something else to do.

His product could be called " The Whoville Wonder Why Light ."

bobo

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77137 03/03/07 09:08 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
One of many useful ways to evaluate a piece is to print out a Black-and-White copy of the image to see how it looks without the beguiling dimension of color. Minus the color, the "Barking Rocks" piece appears pretty flat and uninteresting---to me, at least.

Playful speculation:

Considering the "location" portrayed and the somewhat ramshackle condition of the structures, I believe that we may safely assume that this particular "facility" is devoid of modern plumbing. Does that suggest that the rocks are covered with a sort of guano that we don't want to contemplate?

Thanks to someone earlier in this discussion for reminding me that the fantasy pieces that I recalled were by Lenox, the one in question being entitled "Light at Land's End" [see: http://www.lenox.com/coll/index.cfm?fuseaction=colDetail&colid=84&kf=95& ].

Danny

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77138 03/04/07 01:29 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I can never figure this out. They're always trying ways to entice collectors of other collectibles to purchase Harbour Lights. THEY'RE LIGHTHOUSES!!!!!!!!!! What market are you going for next. How about those ceramic dogs! How about a Lighthouse with a scale sized Dog on it next, you could use it as a door stop. In 2008 Garden Gnomes, 2009 Christmas Cottages, 2010 Harmony Kingdom, you open a sea turtle's back and a blinking Harbour Lights pops out. And finally don't forget about Disney's krack at it. The Pirates of the Carribean Harbour Lights Collection!!!!!!

Hope I didn't ruin the surprise!

whistling

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77139 03/04/07 10:21 AM
DANIEL Online
Saint
Saint

DANIEL
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77140 03/04/07 10:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it Barking Rocks or Barfing Rocks? Either way it's not a winner.

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77141 03/04/07 10:36 PM
Gayle Offline
Totally inappropriate under the Harbour Lights name.

They need to do this type of collectible under another heading/name like they do the hot air balloons.

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77142 03/05/07 04:32 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Is it Barking Rocks or Barfing Rocks?
According to the HL website, the piece is official called "Barking Rocks", however I believe a lot of collectors would tend to "quietly" agree this piece is going to be nick named "Barfing Rocks", with all due respect, of course. :rolleyes:

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77143 03/07/07 03:29 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Barking Rocks?

All dogs say that.

Ask a cat? He'll say

Sleeping Rocks.

Beavers?

Gnawing Rocks.

Rod Watson?

Golden Earing Rocks.

Heh.

As for me, I'm holding my breath for the gold-plated Artist Proof and Mark Sherman print.

Otherwise, I might as well be

Collecting Rocks.

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77144 03/08/07 11:19 AM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Maybe the "Cat's Meow" could be next in the series? :rolleyes:

Debbie
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77145 03/08/07 11:26 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
As for me, I'm holding my breath for the gold-plated Artist Proof and Mark Sherman print.
A gold-plated pewter version of "Barking Rocks" would make an excellent door stop for windy days. Due to the size of the piece, you would probably need a hand truck to move it around. You wouldn't be able to put it on a shelf because of the excess weight. The good news is it could be used as an anchor for a small boat on fairly calm days.

Mark Sherman Print? Hopefully it will be a bi-fold showing both the front view and the back view. Rumor has it, and now the secret may be out, that the reverse side of "Barking Rocks" is actually a minature Mt. Rushmore with the likenesses of Bill, Nancy, Kim, and Harry! What a rush! Display the "A" side one week, then the "B" side the next week. Judging by the photo on the HL Website, the "B" side may be more popular.

Tim, could you try to reproduce the "B" side likeness on your "Etch-A-Sketch" and share it with the faithful followers of the forums?

smile Bob smile

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77146 03/08/07 04:55 PM
Pharologst Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I suggest one use Barking Rocks as a marker bouy. Attach it to a 30 ft length of chain and attach the other end to a 500 lb lead weight. then throw "Barking Rocks" into some 100 ft or greater water depth. When the chain pays out throw the lead weight in after it.

Geo H.
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77147 03/08/07 04:56 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Think they'll make a complimentry piece called "The Men of Barking Rocks"?

A set of six characters who are the inhabitants of Barking Rocks.
wink

Stan M
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77148 03/09/07 12:36 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
biglaugh Good one Geo H!

Debbie
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77149 03/09/07 02:22 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Boy! This piece sure has sparked some wild comments and brought back some ol' timers. Thanks for the chuckles and, in some cases, belly laughs. Really tickled to see some of the people that are on my listing of owners of the Pharo Collection. welcome back.

Sandy

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77150 03/09/07 07:15 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
All it's missing is a diver blowing bubbles and it would look great at the bottom of an aquarium.

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77151 03/11/07 10:59 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I called my dealer yesterday and expressed my feelings about not wanting to purchase "Barking Rocks". I advised her that I collect replicas of real lighthouses and would not be interested in any fantasy or fictional replicas. She was very understanding.

Bye, bye Barking Rocks...the tribe has spoken!

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77152 03/11/07 05:50 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob,

That Mt. Younger idea isn't half bad!!

Seriously, I thought if HL ever made a fictional lighthouse it would be one with Bill, Nancy, Kim and Harry as part of it. Nancy would be standing in the front greeting everyone with that great smile of hers, Bill would be hanging out of a window telling a story to whoever was nearby to hear his tales, Kim could be counting money and Harry could be working on his next creation! Or at least something like that! That lighthouse would mean a lot more to me than the Barking Rocks one.

Judy

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77153 03/11/07 06:44 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Judy,

I would buy the lighthouse you just described without hesitation.

bobo

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77154 03/11/07 11:47 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sounds like a lot of us would rather have a MT Younger piece then a fish tank Barking Rocks piece. biglaugh

Stan M
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77155 03/16/07 08:08 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Looks like we're done beating a dead horse. The meat is tender now so get out the marinade and fire up the grill!

We've gone from WOOF!, in the beginning, to woof! now.

As Barking Rocks fades off with the sunset, many people on both sides of the consumer dollars have taken notice. Will it sell? Absolutely, but not to the usual cast of characters that hang out at the CF. Call us purists, or maybe traditionalists, but the vocal majority collect replicas of real lights. There's just something about knowing that light you have in your curio is representative of a gone but not forgotten light, or one that's still an aid to navigation in most cases. It existed. It was real. That's what I'm talking about.

I'm sure if the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, and Superman read this topic, they would agree.

smile Bob smile

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77156 03/16/07 12:09 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Well, I hope the does not get too inspired by this one!
wink

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77157 03/19/07 08:23 PM
DANIEL Online
Saint
Saint
Well
I LIKE IT.
Why not have one fictional fantasy lighthouse?
However, will it be the only one? I guess it will be if this one does not sell.
Barking Rocks being a fictional light is the least of its negatives in my book.
The biggest thing that bothers me is the price. I have to ask myself why I would want this lighthouse for $125. It wouldn’t be because it is a Harbour light, I learned to say no to auto-shipment four years ago. I never have been to this lighthouse. It doesn’t fall in my area that I am collecting. I am not a David Winters collector. I don’t collect Mystical stuff. Finally, it does not look like it is going to be a sell out or at least not with the forum collectors. The only reason I can possibly think of buying it is that it is neat looking and a Harbour Light. And frankly as mentioned before there are many other Harbour Lights that I would buy before this one.

The next thing I do not like about it, is part of the light missing. Why and in world would Mr. Winter leave part of the lighthouse off? I have not heard anyone explain this, so to answer that question I went to my daughter who likes the mystical stuff and has even watched Harry potter a few times. She pointed out that the missing lighthouse is part of the mystical sculpturing. It is done to create the illusion of a fantasy light that doesn’t exist and leaves the rest to our imaginations. I remember movies in the 60’s where the ending was left off for our imaginations. I hated them and I don’t care for it being done to a L.E. Lighthouse. Sorry Mr. Winter I need closure. I cannot go around with anything else in my life incomplete.
Before closing our conversation, my daughter asked me why Harbour lights would produce a fictional light? Everyone knows they make replicas of actual lighthouses.

The HL number thing doesn’t bother me. If you dislike barking Rocks, just don’t buy it and if you are one of those endangered species that still collect them all. What would another $125 be compared to the $30,000 plus that you already spent? As I mentioned before if Harbour Lights doesn’t use the HL number they are throwing away many sales that they are going to make just because the HL is on the figurine. And it sounds like this whole promotional thing is about tying in David Winter Cottages and Harbour Lights.

The negative reaction that I got from this forum, almost seems like a lynching, I could almost hear one collector shout out “There is going to be a Hang’n tonight” and another one yell “I‘ll get the rope”. I feel that we where feeding each other’s negative opinions against this piece. Now that the smoke has cleared, maybe we can all look at this piece more open-minded. Bill explained to me that HL was looking for a well-known artist to make one of their lighthouses. Another Artist was looked at, but wanted to go through a bunch of red tape, while HL already had a good relationship with David Winter. David agreed and apparently was not given any restriction. He came up with a very highly complex and laborite design that will most likely give him an award. Since most of our collectors are collectors of models of lighthouses, I can see how this would create a negative reaction. However, if we could look at Harbour Lights, as it really is, Artwork, then maybe we can begin to appreciate this piece.

As I noted before in the other forum. I recommend that all collectors of auto-shipments look at this piece in person. Look at it as an art collectable and not a lighthouse model, before you turn down your low numbers. $125 is a lot to pay for a lighthouse but according to Bill Younger, it is a very expensive lighthouse to make. As I have noted before the price has gone up at the factory for this piece and HL is absorbing the cost.

One major thing that could have been done concerning this light is that HL and DW should have somehow tied this light in with Harbour Lights. Collectors accepted the Legacy lights because they had the Harbour light sign. This light should have not been dropped on the collectors with out some kind of connection to our other collectables.

DANIEL
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77158 03/19/07 08:53 PM
R
ropetrick Offline
R
Daniel,

Are we the only ones not on the bandwagon? I'm still waiting to see it in person. Might not buy it, but I do want to see it.

Dan

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77159 03/20/07 10:15 AM
DANIEL Online
Saint
Saint
One other point I want to make.
The reason this light is so expensive is that it has many, many different parts to it, called pulls. The more pulls a light has (separate pieces) the more expensive it is. An amount of pulls is governed by how many different molds have to be made for assembly. This piece is expensive to buy not because harbour Lights look at it and said, “Okay we can get $125 for it. The reason it is going for $125 is the great expense in making a laborite piece like this.

DANIEL
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77160 03/20/07 10:36 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
You've made some good points Daniel, and I'm betting some of the enthusiasm comes from having had the pleasure of spending time talking with Bill last weekend, who would not have said one thing negative about the new releases.

The logic (Bill's?, HL's?) about the piece carrying the high cost because it is so elaborate and has so many parts is bugging me somewhat.

Coming from a long background of sales and marketing, this is not a selling point to the consumer. Perhaps Harbour Lights in hindsight, should have placed more control on what David Winter produced for them instead of giving him a free rein.

On the other hand, the cost may not bother the David Winter Collector as they are accustomed to the higher prices, and the fantasy aspect fits right into the DW scheme of things. The question will be if faithful DW collectors will be happy with the size...and the fact that it is not 100% a David Winter piece.

Judy

Judy
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77161 03/21/07 08:57 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Who left the dogs out?

I still don't like it....

I am beyond looking at this piece anymore, eventhough it hasn't actually appeared in stores. I am now in complete denial that it was ever made despite all the negatives and or positives points mentioned about it....

My mind is made up and I'm sticking to it!!

Bluhhhhhh.... "Barfing Rocks"

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77162 03/22/07 04:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't care what anyone says about this piece or how much you can say to defend its existence.

It just plain (and I really don't like this word, but I have finally discovered why it is a word and I do apologize if I offend anyone)
just SUCKS

Throw me off the forums if you want, but my final answer is!!!

Deal or no deal

NO DEAL !!!!

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77163 03/22/07 05:39 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Is that your honest opinion Mike? wink
It sure is ugly. For that money I sure wouldn't want something with a big bite out of it. Guess the bite is worse than the bark...
It might make a good doorstop.

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77164 03/22/07 09:01 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I think the market will be the judge of this one. The law of supply and demand will tell us if HL made a wise choice. Of course, you may have to factor in the loss of any auto ships or "I have to have every HL number" folks who decide enough is enough. Sometimes it seems like the company takes 2 steps foward and 1 step back in it's quest to develop a stronger market for product.

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77165 03/22/07 09:50 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I agree, Jim, but remember we are but a tablespoon is a four-quart bowl. The piece will sell out over time but not to traditional HL Collectors.

smile Bob smile

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77166 03/23/07 10:52 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Throw me off the forums if you want, but my final answer is!!!
No need to worry about that here, at least as far as I'm concerned. I think you're in good company.

Mike

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77167 03/23/07 11:14 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sure kind of ironic that this piece has "Barking" in it's name.

We CF members have done plenty of barking since we heard about this one. I guess where guarding out HL territory and don't like it in our yard. cheers

Stan M
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77168 03/26/07 03:39 PM
Bob Taylor Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Do you remember when Anchor Bay started? They went to the "generic" boats -- fishing, pleasure boats, etc. and it sort of sunk the company! They then backed off on the double releases with and without a crew, etc. Collector folks seem to like the replica of the real thing, even in some cases of lighthouses lost but not forgotten. It would seem to me that the HL people in Wells could spend more time on newsletters and staying true to the original product line. They have fallen off the boat! Hopefullly they don't sink!

Bob

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77169 03/26/07 07:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well said Bob !!!!

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77170 03/26/07 10:26 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
And now that most of the woofing and barking is done, I predict that at least 1/3 of you will buy it and store it in your closet like I will.

Rich
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77171 03/26/07 10:46 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Are we almost finished kicking a dead horse? We all seem to be in general agreement in voicing our displeasure with “Barking Rock” as a legitimate Harbour Lights lighthouse product. Only a few have voiced their intention to purchase the non-collectable aberration. However, I know that I intend to purchase one.

WHY? Basically, I don’t want to break up my collection! But there is another reason to consider. While the piece is definitely NOT something that a true purist lighthouse collector would purchase, we are forgetting about the casual buyers and the David Winters enthusiasts. Therein is the key.

I believe it will sell out. And in the future, because of its scarcity (1500 in the USA?), its intrinsic value could sky rocket. Plus since few lighthouse collectors had originally purchased the piece, “Barking Rock” will be difficult to locate through normal secondary market sources like EBay.

Just my thoughts.

bobo

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77172 03/26/07 11:22 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bobo does make a point, especially for our low number autoships.

You can give up your piece to your dealer and let someone walk in and buy your double or low-triple digit Barking Rocks for $125. You keep the $125. Buy a tank of gas with it.

Or, you can take the BR that you're entitled to, shove it in a dark, humidity-free corner of your home, and pull it out in two, three years. Plop it on eBay.

Now you have might two tanks of gas. Maybe even three. Four if you drive a Prius. Depends on the market (HL and gas).

There will only be 1500 of these. It is atrocious?

Yes.

But the real beauty of this piece may lie beneath, and if you give up a low number on it, and the market skyrockets, you may be kicking yourself come 2009.

It's a gamble, yes, but one could make out quite well on it, too.

Think of it as an investment instead of a Harbour Light. Something that hasn't been possible in a while. Could it tank? Yes. But could it soar? Yes. With a run of 1500, I see much more of the latter.

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77173 03/27/07 12:33 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I am so glad I am not on auto ship and don't have to feel any pressure to buy that thing.

Judy

Judy
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77174 03/27/07 10:53 AM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
And in the future, because of its scarcity (1500 in the USA?), its intrinsic value could sky rocket.
I have a whole closet full of extra HLs I bought under that theory Bob. No more thanks.

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77175 03/27/07 11:23 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Quote:
And in the future, because of its scarcity (1500 in the USA?), its intrinsic value could sky rocket.
And with this theory the Forum Exclusive should already be worth at least a $1000 because it is a real lighthouse and it is much rarer than the "Barker"! I wouldn't bet on it!

First it has to be appealing to the Harbour Lights crowd, second the David Winter crowd. I don't see it being either. Somebody tell me where the David Winter Forum is so I can read about all the Hoopla over this piece.

I bet Rich's 1/3 bought the Forum Exclusive, the Golden Gate, the Red Sign, The First Lighthouse Depot Exclusive, etc. for the same reasons! Suckers! LOL vhappy

imho beanie

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77176 03/27/07 12:14 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I know that I bought all of the above but not for the reasons of reselling at a later date. I bought them because I liked them. I will buy the "Woof" lighthouse if it is issued with a HL number to keep my collection intact. I don't want to have a "missing cog" in the wheel. I'm not planning on selling my collection any time soon and hope to leave it to my kids to dispose of it. The project or problems they have to dispose of my collection will be payback to them for their teenage years and my suffering through them.

Rich
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77177 03/27/07 01:07 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I've bought too many things thinking of making money when reselling later. Most of them I've taken a loss on.

I know only buy what I like. It much more enjoyable and a lot less stress. smile

cheers

Stan M
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77178 03/27/07 03:27 PM
DANIEL Online
Saint
Saint
Quote:
The project or problems they have to dispose of my collection will be payback to them for their teenage years and my suffering through them.
Your kids where pretty good to you if they only made you suffer through their teenage years. My oldest started at two and still going strong at 21.

DANIEL
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77179 03/27/07 03:57 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
DANIEL,

Now that's REALLY funny. I feel sorry for you. Or should I feel sorry for her?

bobo

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77180 03/27/07 08:02 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Daniel,

Both of mine are still going strong at 40 and 42, so prepare yourself--it just doesn't end for some of us. . . . frustrated frustrated

Sandy

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77181 03/27/07 08:10 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I'm not worried about missing one. I don't have to have them all. I am missing the first mold Hatteras and probably at least 50 or more California Molds, Canadian Molds, Malaysian Molds, Lightning Rod, no Lightning Rod, Founder's Collection and all of the other different variations. A Fantasy Lighthouse made to attract David Winter Collectors into purchasing Harbour Lights simply doesn't deserve a spot in my collection and can be worth more than the First Mold Hatteras someday! I will just never have the desire to add this piece to my collection. Buy them if you like them. I don't feel missing one or 50 really means much in this day and age of collecting. Are we in a competition that makes us spend money with Harbour Lights just so we can say we have it? I'd rather save the money and play a couple rounds of golf!

Sean beanie

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77182 03/27/07 08:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Would you buy a shirt that you don't like?

Would you buy food that you don't like to eat?

Would you buy shoes that don't fit?

A fool and his money are soon departed!!!

Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77183 03/29/07 07:05 PM
Pharologst Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
"Barfing Rocks" deserves a place of honor on the shelf..........the bottom of the Continental shelf.
vhappy

Geo H.
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77184 05/04/07 07:37 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
This wonderful sculpture is now on order/ Sure hope that this is the "one and only" and I know it will be in my collection. I also ordered the Old North Church, because I like the way it looks.

Rich
Re: "Barking Rocks"... pros &cons #77185 05/05/07 10:39 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
It's tough to walk away from the habit of keeping a complete collection. Kudos to you, Rich, for keeping the faith. I passed on "Barking Rocks". It's just not my cup of tea.

smile Bob smile

P.S. I suspect you'll see this sculpture appear as prizes at HL events in the future.

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,681 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users