Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Price Tags on HLs #76934 01/20/01 10:36 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
(I would like to thank Bruce for bringing up the idea for this topic)

Does anyone else cringe when they see a price tag stuck to their about to be purchased HL? No, no, I don't mean the cost of the item and the effect it will have on your budget. I mean that sticky little piece of paper that when removed, will leave a little residue as its mark forever on your valued piece.

I've seen price tags stuck on labels, stuck on the felt, and stuck on exposed areas of the HL itself. Some are easily removed leaving just a hint of dust collecting adhesive. Some are not so easy to remove and their presence will always be with your HL forever.

Collectors who deal with a business on autoship are usually spared from this attack on a fine collectible. Collectors who make their purchases from merchandise on display are not quite so luck.

Lets face it, sticky price tags are a pain in the backside. You can remove residue with a product like "Goo Gone", but I don't think I would want to use that on a fine collectible.

I guess it's just one of those frustrating things you have to put up with when buying items at most retail stores.

Any feelings on this subject?

Bob

Re: Price Tags on HLs #76935 01/20/01 11:09 AM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
Important lesson here: It's a good idea to ask your dealer if (s)he has a "Mint-In-Box" piece back in the stockroom. Unless the display piece has an unusually low number, I always buy a piece that hasn't been displayed, thus avoiding the price tag debacle.

Having said that, my dealer stopped using sticky price tags a couple years ago. Now he uses non-stick tags with a loop of string that he places over the tower. Seems to work well.

Re: Price Tags on HLs #76936 01/20/01 12:05 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
A savy dealer would always know to display the lighthouse with the edition number out and the price tag would never be under the piece. These are lighthouse chippers and breakers for sure! {tic}

Re: Price Tags on HLs #76937 01/20/01 01:44 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have a couple of old pieces where the price tag sticker was placed on the bottom felt that also was on part of the bottom label. I thought it would do more damage by trying to tear it off so I have just left them on. Like Sean has said, I think they get chipped or scratched by people lifing them up to see what's the price of the lighthouse.

Re: Price Tags on HLs #76938 01/20/01 03:46 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I know of one dealer not too far from here that uses tags with loops of string. They also code the tag to reveal how many of that HL they still have in the stock room. I think that is a great idea!

Bob

Re: Price Tags on HLs #76939 01/20/01 06:57 PM
Torchbearer Offline
I concur Bob, and like Bill, if I see a tag on a piece I want, I always ask if there is another MIB w/o a tag in the back. Hopefully, the one in the back has a lower flag number. I learned a while back to not remove the tag from the bottom. In fact, my Ocracoke has a price tag on the felt as well as a tag showing the dealer and address. The price tag shows $69.00. A local dealer use to place tags on the felt, but after a few of us local Wackos complained, they stop doing that. borrowing Sean's words, they are now a "savy" dealer.

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: Price Tags on HLs #76940 01/20/01 07:15 PM
Pharologst Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Just picked up a piece from a dealer who had one left and was not dealing HL anymore. Looked all over for the price tag, and finally had to ask where it was. It was on the inside(backside) of the tent card. I wished they had a couple of dozen more left, as the price was TERRIFIC!!

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 01-20-2001).]

Geo H.
Re: Price Tags on HLs #76941 01/20/01 10:37 PM
Hal Dean Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I have noticed many dealers put the price sticker of the Little Light of Mine lighthouses on the bottom and when you try to take the sticker off it pulls some of the printing off and makes it real light and you can hardly read what it says. Also they do it on the Lobster Floats tag and you have to look at them very closely because there are two different sets of them. Hal

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,148 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users