Print Thread
Independence Day #76655 12/11/99 07:39 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Now that we've been sanitized, whattya think about opening the forums to all lighthouse model & paraphenalia collectors, and other lighthouse junkies? There's gotta be some Lefton or CSC collectors out there somewhere. Maybe 'Lighthouse Collector Forums' instead of just 'Collector Forums'. What would we have to lose? Though 99.999% of the folks here collect Harbour Lights - its good to be independent and open. I'd be inclined to reserve the marketplace for lighthouse models and model vendor extras like buttons, catalogs, etc.

Naturally I defer to JC and Lighthouse Keepers who are our benefactors, and it would be interesting to hear member's opinions on this.

Rgds,
__
/im
[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 12-11-99).]

Re: Independence Day #76656 12/11/99 08:43 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
>>And what would you gain? <<

More people interested in lighthouses? Other opinions, resources, stories, friends, potential collectors?

Re: Independence Day #76657 12/11/99 09:11 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Seems like except for the Marketplace, collectors of anything lighthouse-related are welcome although it may not be clear where stuff should go.

Lighthouse lovers have the "Lighthouse Duty" and "Map Room".

Lighthouse Stamp Collectors could squeeze something in elsewhere.

I'm not looking to be exclusionary, but we do have a few thousand more Harbour Lights collectors who COULD become active on these forums.

BTW Message count as of today was 21,500+. Problem is you can't select to view messages older than one year. I think you can do that through search, but not that drop down menu where the highest choice is "Show Messages From The Last Year". I'm checking on a Hack to allow "Show ALL Messages".

Re: Independence Day #76658 12/12/99 12:25 AM
RRohweder Offline
Have to admit that I'm strictly a Harbour Lights collector. If I had to wade through each message and then find it was talking about a Lefton or CSC, it would drive me nuts. For instance, The Marketplace, a Cape Hatteras for sale. Would have to go look only to find it wasn't an HL. Wasted time. I'm for keeping it for HL Collectors.

Rich

------------------

Re: Independence Day #76659 12/12/99 12:51 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Harbour Lights Only! All new members should have to take the Harbour Lights oath when they register.
I (use your name) swear to buy Harbour Lights ONLY!

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Independence Day #76660 12/13/99 03:02 AM
Art Offline
Tell me more, Tim. What did you have in mind? A reaching out somehow to collectors of other lines? How would we do that, as you envision it? Simply by renaming the "Collector Forums" to "Lighthouse Collector Forums" so it shows up in focused web searches? *That* seems harmless enough. Or did you have something more far-reaching in mind? Let's talk some more about this.

I don't think anyone is screened for HL allegiance prior to posting here, so in one sense, all are already welcome here. (Sorry Paul, but the American in me says that idea is a bad one.) Of course, they couldn't find us by doing a web search for "CSC" or "Lefton's", and if they are already familiar with HLs and computers, they are probably already here. Actually, I think that Cheryl herself reads these Fora, judging by how hard she seems to try to fulfill seemingly every wish we state here(smaller edition sizes, Whitefish Point, Chatham with both towers, "sense of place," Point Cabrillo, et al). She sometimes seems to be listening here very carefully. [Hi Cheryl! ]

I am certainly open to having others come and play with us. From time to time and out of curiosity I do a search of my own for CSC and Lefton BBs, but to no avail. These poor folks have nowhere to play. I think it would be good for all (including, maybe even especially, Harbour Lights) if others could join us here more frequently.

Although this might be a can of worms for Lighthousekeepers and St. John (who naturally do have the final say), the rest of us shouldn't be so quick to kill off this idea, imo.

"I disapprove of the lighthouse models you buy, but I will defend to the death your right to buy them."

-Voltaire

-Art
Re: Independence Day #76661 12/14/99 12:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Surely is nice to know that the other posters are HL lovers.
Derith

Re: Independence Day #76662 12/14/99 12:45 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
(Sorry Paul, but the American in me says that idea is a bad one.)

Sorry, Art but there is nothing more American than taking a oath and standing by it, with honor.

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Independence Day #76663 12/14/99 05:47 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Re: Independence Day #76664 12/14/99 05:31 PM
Q
QC Offline
Q
Would like to hear more from collectors of other lighthouse makers (CSC,Lefton ect.) I am not sure how we would reach out to them though.
George

[This message has been edited by QC (edited 12-14-99).]

George
Re: Independence Day #76665 12/14/99 07:13 PM
JeffB Offline
From what I've seen in other "competative" bulletin boards, mixing different types only leads to flaming. This is most evident in the sport team and the automotive bulletin boards, where cries of "Die Green Bay Packers" and "No Mustang can outrun a Camaro", run rampant. I'm all for for keeping it for HL collectors. Heck, we fight enough about LE, GLOW and LLOM enough as it is!

Jeff
Re: Independence Day #76666 12/14/99 08:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You know the old saying, "If it isn't (ain't) broke, don't fix it". I think that this web site has been set up quite well and I really enjoy what goes on here, even the arguments. I don't believe that we have anything to gain by changing it, but we could lose a lot of what we all have been enjoying. My vote would be to leave it as it is.

"TheLightkeeper"

[This message has been edited by TheLightkeeper (edited 12-15-99).]

Re: Independence Day #76667 12/15/99 09:38 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I feel we should leave the board as it is. As a frequent visitor and contributor, I have enjoyed reading and conversing with many of you. I've also had the pleasure of meeting several of you at the 1998 HL Reunion. One thing this board has over several others on the "net" is consistency. The same wonderful people come back again and again. I like it that way. Would I like to see new folks join us? Absolutely! But I would like to see the main topics of discussion remain the same.

Hey "The Lightkeeper", on the East Coast we've always said it this way: "If it ain't broke...don't fix it!" Not proper English though...

Bob

Re: Independence Day #76668 12/15/99 10:06 AM
Lighthousedude Offline
I would vote for keeping the site for Harbour Lights collectors as well. I am not against collectors of other lighthouses ( I admit to having a few Leftons)but I agree with the opinions of others on this thread that "we" would have a lot of stuff to wade through.

I am surpised that the Lefton and CSC collectors don't have a site like we do. I bet some of us would visit them from time to time.

Re: Independence Day #76669 12/15/99 11:12 AM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
Well, let's see.

We're all collectors of the finest lighthouse sculptures in the world---and we KNOW it. The company that makes them is comprised of the finest calibre of human beings in the world. The product they put out is...ABSOLUTELY NO QUESTION...ten times, no, a HUNDRED TIMES better than the best sculptures by any other so-called lighthouse maker. We rock. We rule. We're jiggy wi'd it.

And now we want to invite the opinions of people who regularly buy and collect the other companies' junk? I say, only let 'em in if they sign a pledge stating that they've seen the light and will only accept Harbour Lights-quality sculptures into their homes (Yes, yes...if they want to stick with TLLOM, that's okay. Gotta be fair.).

The airlines would never consider blending first class with coach. We shouldn't, either.

More champagne?

Re: Independence Day #76670 12/15/99 09:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are a jewel Bill !!! Thanks for your comments !
Derith

Re: Independence Day #76671 12/15/99 11:19 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
>>Simply by renaming the "Collector Forums" to "Lighthouse Collector Forums" so it shows up in focused web searches? *That* seems harmless enough. Or did you have something more far-reaching in mind? <<

Not really, Art. And I wasn't even thinking that much about other lines of lighthouse models. It doesn't seem any of those have a foaming band of wackos associated with 'em. (But I suppose *somebody* buys 'em cause they keep churnin 'em out). I was thinking more of collectors of other lighthouse stuff, or just those interested in lighthouses.

Having come in on the ground floor with these forums I'm not real concerned that other folks would some how dilute what we have here. Heck - we're fully capable of doing that ourselves and seem to do so on a regular basis. You can stare at your models for hours (and I've been known to do that on occasion) but there's only so much you can say about 'em. I'm not real worried, like some, about 'wadding through' an occasional message thats about something other than I'm interested in. We've got enough less than mindful clucking already and it doesn't seem to keep folks from coming back. Heck - I figured the more the merrier. The zampolits will keep order so things don't go out of hand. :-)

As for all the concern about changing what ain't broke. Never said it was broke, but, like duh, it was a change that prompted my message in the first place. What if the proposal was to change the name from 'Harbour Lights Collector Forums'to just plain old 'Collector Forums'. Somehow we survived that!

And it sure is interesting to read the replies...

Rgds,
                  __
Rasta Fogger /im

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 12-16-99).]

Re: Independence Day #76672 12/16/99 03:21 AM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
If the collectors of "the other stuff" search they can find us. Unless they also collect HL they do not appear to be here anyway.

Lonnie

Lonnie
Re: Independence Day #76673 12/16/99 11:13 AM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
You mean there are other lighthouse sculptures out there!

Re: Independence Day #76674 12/17/99 02:06 AM
LamarB Offline
Make 'em take the HL pledge and sign in it in virtual blood.

Being the selfish person that I am, I don't care a whit about other lighthouse collectible lines. Posting a little lighthouse this and that novelty items (as we have now) is fun and interesting but I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO interest in reading about CSC, Lefton, et al.

Re: Independence Day #76675 12/17/99 01:45 PM
JeffB Offline
Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind a couple fo CSC collecters to stop by. I am dying to know why ANYBODY would buy a statue of a sinking ship!

Jeff
Re: Independence Day #76676 12/17/99 02:34 PM
M
Mike Thompson Offline
M
I have no idea what you guys have against Lefton lighthouses. I've had several given to me as gifts, and I must say, they're doing a perfectly good job of filling in the empty space inside that big ol' box tucked away in the far corner of my closet.

Re: Independence Day #76677 12/17/99 06:05 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
There's nothing stoppin' 'em now except the plaudits that we heap on our HLs. Think about it? How would you feel about collecting a different brand and expect to get anything out of this Forum? Might be a little depressing.

Other related products have crept in, such as curios, dollhouses, pets, humor, social events, lighthousing, etc.

This may be a explanation for some 'lurkers'.

How about a LH postcard or LH pins forum?

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Independence Day #76678 12/18/99 05:02 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
>>it is my opinion that there is not the interest in them like HLs seems to draw. There is no raging debates on edition size, variations, etc... <<

Well, I certainly can't suggest we invite a bunch of boring people over here. LOL!

OK, gang, here's the lowdown on why I posted my original message. I'm not really interested in talking to Seve or Mr.Danbury, or Ms. Lefton. But I wasn't too thrilled with seeing the forums renamed to the generic "Collector Forums". Sure if you're already here you probably don't care what they're called. But a rather bland generic name doesn't really seem to do justice to this place. And there certainly seems to be sufficient fervor in maintaining our cliquish (albeit warranted) allegiance to les models HL.

As was pointed out, seeing 'Collector Forums' show up in a search listing doesn't really give much help to someone looking for info on Harbour Lights models. Granted you can get here from HL-dot-com (but you can't get there from here) - but as an independent forum, it only seems right that folks should know what this place is by its name. Hence the suggestion to call this place something that might lend a clue. In fact a generic name like "Collector Forums" may be more likely to attract just about anyone. And by the comments thus far, most folks certainly don't want that. After all, when you think about it this place is like a national (galactic?) level club for HL collectors. If HL doesn't want the place called what it used to be called then the first suggestion was to name it the "Lighthouse Model Collector Forum". If that doesn't grab you fancy, then what does?

I'll start another thread here in the FSB to see if anyone has any better suggestions. Somehow I don't think "Nuclear Submarine Brokerage Forum" sets the right tone. And Sean will sick the Beaver on anyone suggesting "GLOW World". LOL!

__
/im

Re: Independence Day #76679 12/18/99 03:57 PM
LamarB Offline
Tim, "GLOW World" might turn out to be prophetic and/or appropriate if we get the FSB Yacht and it's not Y2K compliant!

Re: Independence Day #76680 08/14/02 01:26 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
This thread was written shortly after the forums were renamed from The Harbour Lights Collector Forums to simply Collector Forums at the behest of, yes you guessed it, Harbour Lights. Gosh, its amazing we managed to carry on for for as long as we have. :-)

dusting, just dusting... LOL!

T3RP

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,328 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users