oseabee Offline OP
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
O
The O'Brien Family Motto -

"Lamb Laidir an Ucahdar"

Translation: "The Strong Hand Uppermost"

(This letter is framed and on a wall in Bill's apartment) Guess we know why Bill could speak his mind and speak it with such authority. ~smile~
Quote:

April 11, 1978

Department of the Navy
Transient Personnel Unit
Naval Administrative Command
Naval Training Center
Great Lakes, Illinois 60088

Unit, Great Lakes

To: BU1 William F. O'Brien, USNR-R, 023-20-3601

Subj: Letter of Appreciation

1. You were attached to the Transient Personnel Unit, Great Lakes, Illinois from 23 June 1977 to 11 April 1978. During this period, you were assigned as Master-at-Arms of Barracks 177-3 with an average of 100 Naval Veterans and Separation Personnel; Barracks 25B, a discipline barracks with an average of 150 personnel; and Barracks Watch Officer. All these varied and complex duties assigned during your tour were handled with tact, compassion, humility and professionalism of the highest degree.

2. In addition to the above, during your last few months, you took charge of the barracks maintenance crew and self help program which greatly improved the appearance of numerous office spaces. You displayed professionalism in your chosen field and sound leadership and supervisory ability of the highest degree. Your efforts and the many extra hours you spent ensuring that the Barracks Division was operating in an efficient and effective manner were greatly appreciated. Your efforts most certainly enhanced personnel control during a period when the population of the Transient Personnel Unit was at a high of 750 personnel, sixty-five percent of which were in a disciplinary status.

3. I wish to express my appreciation for the manner in which you performed your dities while attached to this Unit. It is refreshing to meet and work with Petty Officers of your caliber; it is unfortunate however, for this Unit to lose a Petty Officer of your talents. I join with all personnel of the Transient Personnel Unit in extending you a "Well Done" and wishing you much success in your future endeavors.

J. R. Peak
In Nova Scotia Bill would accompany me when I did my Hospital visiting. Also, I volunteer at our local Young Offenders Centre. I admired him for smile smile his natural ability to chat with young and old and make them feel at ease. He would always have a little story to tell.

I had the privilage of being with Bill at the time of his death (Fri. evening the 27th. of Sept. '02). If death can be beautiful, his death certainly was. He did not suffer.
I'm sure that God knew that he had suffered enough in these recent years. Like Bill's Officer, God said, "Well done, good and faithful Servant" and took Bill to that place where suffering will be no more. He had a lot more living to do and did it with great gusto and enthusiasm. We will sure miss him but I'm so certain in my heart that we will see him again.

It is comforting to know that Bill had so-o many friends and how he looked forward to getting on the Forum every chance he got to see who had written. (I hadn't realized that he had spoken so much about me on the forum. Actually, I am quite flattered).

On behalf of Bill, I say "thank-you", "thank-you" for all your words of kindness and especially your prayers. We serve an awsome God and I know in His own time and way that He will answer all of those prayers.

From a beginning to be - Lighthouse lover,

Freda

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Freda's Tribute to Bill #7629 10/04/02 09:20 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Thank you for sharing these words with us, Freda. While it is difficult to lose a friend, even one most of us never met in person, we know that our shipmate is now enjoying fair winds and following seas.

Many of us did know about you and how special you were to Bill. You brought him much joy these past months. Thanks for that. Stay in touch with us, and glad to hear you are beginning to share in Bill's love of lighthouses.

Dave

Re: Freda's Tribute to Bill #7630 10/04/02 09:59 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for posting Freda! I remember how down Bill was last year when he found out he couldn't attend the Harbour Lights Reunion. During the week prior to that event he posted here a lot and bemoaned the fact that there wasn't much activity. This was due to the fact that a lot of people had already left for Baltimore to partake in pre-reunion activities. Then not too long afterwards he seemed to really perk up and I kept wondering just what had happened. Then he did let slip that he had found a "lady friend" from Nova Scotia! smile

It is comforting to know that you helped make Bill's last year one that seemed filled with enjoyment.

When you have details of the service for Bill in Chatham it would be nice if you could post them here as some forum members have indicated they would like to attend if possible.

Re: Freda's Tribute to Bill #7631 10/04/02 10:46 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Freda,

Thanks for sharing that wonderful tribute to Bill! I never met Bill, but felt that like others on the forum I felt that he was a part of my life just by reading his posts and communicating with him. In death as in life, Bill will surely live the motto of the Seabee's CAN DO".

A little poem entitled THE SEABEE's

We work like hell, we fight like hell
and always come back for more.
The Navy's advanced base engineers
on many a foreign shore.

The Admiral stopped by to chat the other night,
He said, I know you work
but you've also been trained to fight.
So if there's any trouble,
don't stop to put on your jeans,
Just drop your tools, pick up your guns
and protect those poor Marines!

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Freda's Tribute to Bill #7632 10/04/02 11:34 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Thank you for taking the time to post here in the Forums, Freda.

We all share in your sorrow.

You may notice that each CF member has a small 'title' under their Forum name. I've changed Bill's status from "WACKO" to "Saint". Bill's posts here in the Forums will be around as long as the Forums remain on the Internet.

God bless you.

Re: Freda's Tribute to Bill #7633 10/05/02 02:15 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Freda, I too wish to thank you for passing on this information about Bill. I know it helps us so very much to hear how happy you had made him. May God bless you also Freda.
Ruthie smile

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Freda's Tribute to Bill #7634 10/05/02 03:35 AM
lhlover Offline
On this forum we really are like family: we joke and laugh, we chat about everything and nothing, we talk about Lighthouses, we share stories, sometimes we agree and sometimes we even disagree, but sometimes (like now) we come together to remember a parted friend/family member and to share our sorrow.

Thank you Freda for sharing your thoughts and sorrow with us - but please don't let the postings stop. We have welcomed you into our family long before you even started posting, you have been a part of our family that we just hadn't met until now. Bill not only made you a part of his life, but also part of his Lighthouse Family.

I hope the seed he planted in you grows and your love for Lighthouses blooms. You won't find better people anywhere else as you will here - please keep in touch with us.

May the days ahead be filled with Loving Memories and Beautiful Lighthouses. smile

BonnieJean

BonnieJean
bjexum@floridalighthouses.org
Visit: www.floridalighthouses.org
Re: Freda's Tribute to Bill #7635 10/05/02 02:18 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thank you for sharing that tribute to Bill with us, Freda. He is deeply missed by us here in the forums. I agree with what Mombo had to say. He really seemed to be "down in the dumps" for awhile there, then he met you and we could see a big difference in him! You became a big part of his life and we could tell! Thank you for what you have done and please keep in touch!

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users