Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Flood vs Price #76283 06/24/01 07:11 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
IS THE MARKET FLOODED? ARE PRICES SUFFERING A SEVER DECLINE? ARE HARBOUR LIGHTERS RUNNING OUT OF ROOM TO SHOW OFF THEIR PRIZED TREASURES? I SEE STORMY WEATHER AHEAD. AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO WONDERS WHAT THE FUTURE COLLECTORS WILL HAVE TO FACE? TALK TO ME!!

MOBY

Moby
Re: Flood vs Price #76284 06/24/01 08:08 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I guess it depends on whose shop you walk into. Some are loaded, some are not so loaded. I know this has been a topic we have been talking about since HL made the jump to 9,000. I saw a Pensacola on a dealers shelf yesterday still at retail. Of course like anywhere, unless your in Florida or near to Pensacola that's the way its going to be. Your going to find regional/local lighthouses selling better than the rest. Who knows what will happen but they have been fighting space problems with dealers displays since 1995/96 and Harbour Lights is still here showing increased profits compared to many other companys that are not.

Re: Flood vs Price #76285 06/24/01 08:19 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Oops, almost forgot. In case Harbour Lights is listening. DUMP THE LINE OF GLOWS, please?

No need to respond to this, I know the forum is split. The have nots want them and the haves dont. I understand both arguements. My concern are Moby's and regardless of tangible studied proof an LE can't be strong or in higher appreciating demand with an Open Edition available. It's common sense! We will never know for sure if the market for higher editions might have taken off if the GLOWs weren't released at the same time. IMHO that had to scare off a few potential collectors.

Re: Flood vs Price #76286 06/24/01 10:03 PM
Torchbearer Offline
Agreed Sean. I personally do not collect GLOWs and prefer to channel my funds toward the LEs. I do understand those who cannot afford or refuse to pay premium price for, let's say an Ocracoke and opt for a GLOW. I would also like to see the line discontinued. I say this as a preference, not to start a range war in the ol' FSB. Honest Timoteo, I'm being good here.

My local dealer has a very limited space for HLs and expresses concern over the increased number of releases. Unfortunately, they are not able to provide many regional lighthouses because, well, they are in NC. Either way, I'll collect what I can and pray that the new house will have enough room for them.

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: Flood vs Price #76287 06/24/01 11:05 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Not to argue this point or nothing, but I can not let this stand unchallenged. One has to wonder how many GLOW Hatteras have been sold? I think that without the income of the GLOW line, which is chock full of the most popular lights. HL would not be in the shape financially that they are in today, and probably wouldn’t be bringing us the unrivaled product that they do. And personally I couldn’t care less if the price of a LE goes up. I never plan to sale any of my pieces.

Eric
Re: Flood vs Price #76288 06/25/01 12:27 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
>>I think that without the income of the GLOW line ... . HL would not be in the shape financially that they are in today, and probably wouldn’t be bringing us the unrivaled product that they do. <<

In an unguarded moment when he was at the Door County Maritime Museum, I asked BY if Glows were subsidizing LEs - he said 'no'.

Its not uncommon for a collector to say somethng like Weasel's remarks, so this is not an unusual opinion by any means. However I'll suggest we all should be concerned about the appreciation in value of the Limitied Editions. Without this there would be no secondary market. Without a secoundary market Harbour Lights would not be Collectible, and without collectibility there would not be the same interest in their product line as there is today. In fact, I'll argue that if LE's had not appreciated in value, Harbour Lights would not be in good financial shape - they might not even exist today.

Believe me, although they don't openly discuss it, *any* vendor of 'collectibles' wants a secondary market for their product - it is a tremendous attracting factor in creating interest and bringing in new collectors. Do not underestimate the role played by the 'hard to find' model - without it there is no urgency and no thrill of the hunt.

To address Moby's topic - I guess all I can say is this is not news. Yes, prices have suffered a 'correction'. Yes people are running out of display room, including dealers. OVer half my collection remains in boxes because we simply haven't purchased enough cabinets to show every model. Why? Not enough space. I mentioned to Sean at the Chi Harbor soiree that recently a successful dealer in my town has decided to stop carrying Glows - why? - not enough space.

HL realizes what dealers realize - they must have product turnover. If you kept seeing the same models in a dealer's display you'd lose interest or realize 'gee these don't seem to be moving - I have plenty of time to buy one, so not today'. Versus the likelihood the piece could be gone tommorrow. Product turnover drives the collectibles industry - always have something new to attract the eye of the audience you've already captured - and want to keep. So what drives turnover? Supply and demand. A small supply keeps the item in demand. If its not in demand, its much easier to take a loss on two Navesinks than on ten. So what drives supply and demand? Scarcity & rarity, coupled with high quality. Turnover and scarcity go hand in hand.

Ergo, smaller edition sizes are the key to a thriving collector market. *Limited Editions" - the name says it all.

And yes, the market *is* flooded with 9500 edition size pieces. This pig is slowly working its way through the python. The only place where there is any market strength is in the original 5500 series plus a few one-off pieces. And of course Glows do nothing here to help - just the opposite.

Again - the bottom line is this... there are only so many people with an abiding interest in lighthouses and a smaller number of those who are collectors. There are only so many disposable dollars in people's pockets to spend on lighthouse models. And yes there's only so much space the "normal" person will devote in their home to lighthouse model display.

I'm perfectly happy if collecting Harbour Lights remains the hobby of a few. And perfectly happy for Y&A to remain a small family owned business.

And for all the folks who say "well I could never afford an LE of the rare Cape Nosebight so I'll buy the Glow instead", just remember - those Glow purchases add up. All it takes is 2-4 Glows and you can purchase most any one of the 5500 series. Depends on your interest and your inclination.

Personally I get more long term satisfaction out of buildlng a collection over time of original Limited Edition models.

Rgds,
St. Goldfinger

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 06-25-2001).]

Re: Flood vs Price #76289 06/29/01 05:20 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
While GLOWS have negitive effects on the market for the LE's, let us not forget about this before we do away with them:

"A portion of the proceeds from the sale of these gorgeous open edition replicas goes to the preservation group responsible for the maintenance of the lighthouse."

(Quote from Harbour Lights flyer)

For many preservation groups, I would guess that these are extremely important dollars. Even if it may seem like a trivial amount of money, every penny counts. At the Saginaw River Rear Range Light, volunteers bring lawnmowers from home and buy their own fuel. Maybe those dollars could be used to buy a mower for some group. Maybe they could be used to help pay for utilities. Every penny does count. These are just examples and maybe the big groups at Hatteras, Sandy Hook, and St. Augie don't need the money, but I bet it helps. I'm sure it will help St. Joseph and others.

It is just something to think about. I have purchased a few GLOWS and will purchase St. Joe when it comes out.

GLOWS hurt the collectable aspect of Harbour Lights. We know that. GLOWS help with preservation. We need that.

-Todd

[This message has been edited by Todd Shorkey (edited 06-29-2001).]

Re: Flood vs Price #76290 06/29/01 06:16 PM
FrankB Offline
I believe there is a place for OE's and do not favor making them unavailable to those who are not concerned if a sculpture they have is a "limited" edition.
(Personally, I primarily collect LE's, but have some OE's. In particluar, I have the Split Rock and Marblehead OE's, even though I could have purchased, in the case of Split Rock at least, the LE for no more than what the OE cost. The reason for these two was I am also a stamp collector and specifically wanted the editions that made up the commemorative stamp set, which was the OE's, and not the LE's, for these two. Also, Split Rock is my favorite lighthouse, not because of its architecture/design, but because of its setting. The LE fails to capture this element, but the OE does fairly well on this point.)
The question then is should OE's only be of lighthouses not released as LE's. HL has refrained from doing this precisely because collectors complained about it when they did release some new lighthouses as OE's first (which they then changed to LE's). If collectors now feel OE sequels are dragging down the corresponding LE's, then they need to express their desire to HL to have this policy reversed.

FrankB

FrankB
Re: Flood vs Price #76291 06/29/01 08:26 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Quote:
If collectors now feel OE sequels are dragging down the corresponding LE's, then they need to express their desire to HL to have this policy reversed.

My opinions about edition sizes and Open Editions have never changed. I don't want them. If you want an Open Edition Lighthouse before the LE is produced go buy a Little Lighthouse of Mine to hold you over. LE's started the company and are the backbone. Don't drag it down because you are not buying them because they are "Collectible". I love lighthouses but one of the attractions for me to have them all is because they are collectible. No, I don't intend on selling them. But I do like having things that not everyone else can have.

Call me selfish or just call me a Collector.

imho

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 06-29-2001).]

Re: Flood vs Price #76292 07/01/01 01:57 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Have you seen the St. Joseph OE? Makes the LE look poor!

Moby

Moby
Re: Flood vs Price #76293 07/01/01 07:18 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
>>Have you seen the St. Joseph OE? Makes the LE look poor!<<

I saw it at the Chicago show and was a bit taken aback. Of course HL knows they've gotten all the revenue they're ever gonna get from the original St. Joseph LE - so its no skin off their nose to make an unlimited edition that is technically more accurate and aesthetically more pleasing. Don't doubt for a moment that Y&A designs these Glows to sell - this is the 'laughing all the way to the bank' part that is a verboten topic. Put the two models side by side and ask a new or prospective customer which one they prefer - what do you think their answer will be? HL designs Glows to be attractive and they want to sell as many of them as they possibly can.

As far as Glows being linked with lighthouse preservation, I have two comments. One - Glows aren't tax deductible. Two - if you're sincere about lighthouse preservation send a check for $70 to the light of your choice - this is far more meaningful and direct than buying a Glow, half the price of which goes immediately into the dealers pocket. I do think its a *very* clever marketing technique from HL - can't blame them for pulling any trick in the book to get people to buy knicknacks.
__
/im

Re: Flood vs Price #76294 07/02/01 11:39 AM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
Quote:
Have you seen the St. Joseph OE? Makes the LE look poor!

Of course, if we collector's would consider the option of another LE of St Joseph, done with today's design and production techniques, HLs might have the best of all worlds. A steady cash flow from very well done OEs and incremental revenue from small second Limited editions of select lights.

I think they very cleverly did this with Hatteras On The Move, the 2000 event piece. How many collectors would add a second LE of a few favorite lights to their collection? How many who missed the early St. Augustines and Hilton Heads would like to have any LE for the collection?

Just a thought. If the company is denied access to certain paths, should we blame them for using the ones that they can?

As always, just an opinion intended to encourage conversation and exchange of ideas.

Rick

[This message has been edited by RMau (edited 07-02-2001).]

Re: Flood vs Price #76295 07/06/01 04:10 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
As far as Glows being linked with lighthouse preservation, I have two comments. One - Glows aren't tax deductible. Two - if you're sincere about lighthouse preservation send a check for $70 to the light of your choice - this is far more meaningful and direct than buying a Glow, half the price of which goes immediately into the dealers pocket. I do think its a *very* clever marketing technique from HL - can't blame them for pulling any trick in the book to get people to buy knicknacks.

Personally, I like to donate to lighthouse preservation in sweat equity, donated tools, equipment and my time.

While it may be a clever marketing technique by Y&A, I still stand by my position that every penny helps. Also, I believe that there are people out there who are unwilling to make a donation to lighthouse preservation or any other organization for that matter. If these people buy a GLOW for a gift, pick one up as a reminder of a trip they made, ect.., then a donation is made that otherwise wouldn't have been made.

This example pushes the envelope somewhat, but the point is the money helps.

Jim Johnston, would you or FORI turn down the money from the sale of GLOW Pottawatomie's? Would the money help the group?

I don't dispute the fact and I agree wholeheartedly that GLOWS hurt the value of LE's. They do serve a purpose however. Should Y&A dump the line? That is not my place to say. If they don't subsidize LE's they must be doing something else to help Harbour Lights or the line would have been dropped already.

My name is Todd. I don't collect GLOWS, but I own two. They hurt the LE's, but they serve a purpose by helping restoration and upkeep. Is this line of thinking a contradiction? Maybe. I'll stand by it.

-Todd

[This message has been edited by Todd Shorkey (edited 07-06-2001).]

Re: Flood vs Price #76296 07/06/01 06:19 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have to agree with you Todd. I do have some of the glows, but they do not take the place of the LE's. I will buy the Cape Florida glow, mostly because it shows the lighthouse as it looks today. It is quite a contrast from the LE. They will look good setting next to each other. If someone would ask me why they are different, I can say "Now and Then!" After seeing it in Chicago, it is one of the nicest I have seen in the glow collection! IMO

[This message has been edited by Randy Kremer (edited 07-06-2001).]

Re: Flood vs Price #76297 07/07/01 12:39 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
The debate has shifted gears just a bit. If we are going to wave the flag about lighthouse preservation then the next natural request would be to ask Harbour Lights to donate, I'll use a $1, for every LE they sell. Rod if you read this could you come up with a dollar figure of how much money that would have been raised since HL 101? That would be well over $20,000 for the Statue of Liberty! $5,500 for the Hatteras LE, how much for the GLOW? How much for the "On the Move"? Just examples, but imho the money coming from GLOWS is not impacting as many lighthouses as it could if the good intentions of Harbour Lights were expanded. Certainly this is only for debate about the sums of money GLOWS are earning for restoration. I have a pretty good idea how much money Harbour Lights donates and I would never suggest they are not doing their part! Hence the "Restoration Series"!

And lastly, I only have good things to say about Jim Johnston and his preservation efforts but I think the day Pottawatomie becomes a GLOW it will be seeing it's Bicentennial Celebration. I like Jim probably want nothing more than for it to be made into the "Preservation Series"! Nothing but more good things to come from Harbour Lights! LOL

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 07-06-2001).]

Re: Flood vs Price #76298 07/07/01 03:09 AM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Just so everyone is on the same page as I am:

Harbour Lights does more and gives more to lighthouse preservation than any else I know. I think they go above and beyond the call of duty in this area and cannot be thanked enough for what they do.

I used Jim and the Pottawatomie Light in my example because of all the publicity it recieves here in the forums and to provoke thought on the topic.

I don't think we got too far of topic. I played the preservation card in order to put at least one positive spin on the GLOW bashing and show that they aren't without any redeeming value, although I am sure some will disagree. That is OK however, if we all agreed, how exciting and thought provoking would that be?

-Todd

Re: Flood vs Price #76299 07/07/01 10:11 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
All Right. Let's venture into another direction. This is not a criticism but a tell it like it is statement.

Are the number of models on the market, not just the number of each piece, say 9500, but the number of different lights creating a problem. I mean, how many can each collector collect.

Folks, I'm out of room and money. You physically cannot display all the lights made to date in a normal home or home and office. I am depressed. Am I alone?

MOBY

Moby
Re: Flood vs Price #76300 07/07/01 10:51 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
No Moby, you are not alone. I've remarked a few times in various places here on the Forums that it was just that, a lack of space to display them all, that caused me to reaccess my collecting goals.

I lost my secondary display area when my company put us all in shared 'cubes' instead of individual offices. Good for the company, bad for displaying Harbour Lights. The pieces that I could no longer display wound up in their boxes in the closet. Not exactly what I had in mind when I bought them.

I've seen a couple of other posters finally admit to the same space dilemma in one way or another. Some say it outright like you and I, some rotate pieces between the curio and storage, some buy a piece that never sees the light of day. What they are all saying one way or another, is that the rate of issue for new pieces is too fast.

I understand that the dealers have to have inventory for their customers. But there's another factor to consider when talking about retail inventory. That is the rate of inventory 'turn', or how many times inventory is sold and replaced. I think dealers might be better off with fewer new pieces each year that sell, than they are with the number that HLs releases each year that sit on the shelf.

One step to addressing that issue is the lower edition sizes that recent releases have seen. The next step could be (should be?, for sake of using a real number) no more than 12 new releases in a year. One a month with the Christmas and Society pieces (but not the gift) counting against the total. If there's another Reunion, that's a 13th for that year.

There have been many references to the GLOWs being 'giftware' in different threads on the Fora. I've become real choosy when it comes to adding a new Harbour Light to my collection. No more 'stays-in-the-boxware' for me!

Rick

Re: Flood vs Price #76301 07/08/01 01:41 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Quote:
The next step could be (should be?, for sake of using a real number) no more than 12 new releases in a year.

Sounds good on the surface Rick but we have debated this idea before and I am still not really buying that Harbour Lights has the resources to keep up with retiring 12 a year, and releasing 12 new a year. I am not sure that they could even stay in business with only 12 lighthouses a year being available. Harbour Lights has reached maturity! Thats the truth! The question here is why should we ask Harbour Lights to slow down with new releases just because we have run out of storage room. How about that new collector that wants Pottawatomie? Should they have to wait 10 more years?.....12 a year? I dont know?

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 07-07-2001).]

Re: Flood vs Price #76302 07/08/01 12:43 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
I know that the Fora discussions have been 'round and 'round this topic many times.

Yes, HLs needs revenue to stay in business. But does it have to be in the form of Limited Editions? They have been developing other lines to extend their reach and add to their revenue stream. Anchor Bay, not so good, but not dead. GLOWS, pretty good I think. LLOM, also pretty good if the rate of new introductions is a good indicator.

My trial balloons for fewer releases each year and mandatory retirements are in fact two different, but probably connected, ideas. I am not sure at all that 12 releases a year is the right number, although I like it. Easy to mangage, easy to budget for. Or that retirement after 12 to 18 months is the right time frame. But knowing that there's a limited time for availabilty does make the decision to buy or not to buy a bit more immediate. It seems to me though that these two steps might restore some of the excitement and exclusivity that long term collectors of HLs are missing at this stage of the process.

I think that GLOWs have filled holes in collections that otherwise would have been secondary market transactions. I think that dealers selling brand new inventory on ebay for less than retail has tarnished the lines reputation and wiped out much of the exclusivity of the collection. How can HLs recover? How can they rekindle the flame?

I'm just floating a few balloons to see if they catch anyone's eye. Here's another one. Let's rethink the 'no GLOW before LE' thing. If HLs can do a piece as GLOW first, then they could release a piece that has strong regional appeal (Pottawatomie maybe, sorry Jim) as a GLOW in the Great Lakes area and not have it sitting on dealer's shelves in Florida or California for months or years. Then the idea of 12 new national LE releases per year might be more appealing or workable.

Just food for thought. Heck, maybe we'll even draw a lurker or two into the conversation to share their ideas.

Rick

Re: Flood vs Price #76303 07/08/01 01:17 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Quote:
Let's rethink the 'no GLOW before LE' thing. If HLs can do a piece as GLOW first, then they could release a piece that has strong regional appeal (Pottawatomie maybe, sorry Jim) as a GLOW in the Great Lakes area and not have it sitting on dealer's shelves in Florida or California for months or years. Then the idea of 12 new national LE releases per year might be more appealing or workable.

No! No! No! My worst nightmare! Should this happen my decision to collect Harbour Light Lighthouses as a collectible will cease! I will not buy giftware in the hopes that HL will eventually make a limited edition. This whole discussion is just bringing out the fears I have about GLOWS and how they are mucking up this collection of limited editions. I am in agreement that GLOWs are a positive for Younger and Associates but I don't have to be happy about it and clammering for more and more releases. To me GLOWs have done nothing but muddle this Limited Edition of Collectibles into what it seems new collectors only feel is giftware. There is no growing secondary market or appreciating value for your collection of lighthouses made after 1995, IMHO. Yet many of us are not concerned and just dont even care? Inventories for dealers increase, dealers have to dump to make ends meet. This is inevitable regardless how you feel about signed contracts. A roof over your head and food on the table will discount a collectible everytime. GLOWS are just one of the pieces of the puzzle that is competin g for space on the dealers shelves. I am not going to reunions to talk about Open Editions, I am not going to regionals to talk about Open Editions, I am not going to signings to have Open Editions signed. I made a joke a few months ago about Harbour Lights using an NFL Draft System to dole out their lighthouses. Effectively beefing up the Sales Reps areas with Regional Limited Editions that will sell. What would this do to Auto-ships? I have no idea. It was just a thought.
[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 07-08-2001).]

Re: Flood vs Price #76304 07/08/01 01:45 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
If only Harbour Lights had thought of TLLOM before the GLOWs, it would have solved the LE/GLOW dilemma. The difference between the teeny lights and the 'big dogs' is easy to spot, both in size and in price. But all you have to do is look at Fort Gratiot to see how easily the LE's can get confused with the GLOWs.

Re: Flood vs Price #76305 07/08/01 01:53 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Agreed 100% Bill!!!!!

Re: Flood vs Price #76306 07/09/01 08:11 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Let me add one more wrinkle to this discussion. I have been loyal to one dealer who has been very helpful is assisting me on enlarging my collection. But now the problem is 2 fold.

1. Finding enough space to allow my collection to grow.

2. Buying retail when this forum and e-bay, etc. sell below retail.

Is the magic gone?

Is this price cutting killing the value of retired lights? Is it killing demand to a point of no return? Are we in an oversupply situation because we have saturated the desires of the have to have collectors of this item or these items? In 10 years will Harbour Lights be just a memory?

When I began this conquest in 1997, I envied those who had an original LE purchased in 1990 - 1993. Now I don't. What is wrong with my value system? Is it me or my collection or my sense of collecting?

Moby

Moby
Re: Flood vs Price #76307 07/09/01 11:25 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Quote:
Are we in an oversupply situation because we have saturated the desires of the have to have collectors of this item or these items?

We are riding the storm out together Moby. It is all a result of edition sizes of 9,000 and above for every new release and GLOWS, imho. Harbour Lights has backed off the large edition sizes except in areas where they know they will sell in a reasonable time. I am happy to see that with the exception of St. Joseph Pier that the GLOWS are once again smaller and less detailed as the LE.

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 07-09-2001).]

Re: Flood vs Price #76308 07/10/01 01:42 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
For someone who is just getting started collecting these lighthouses, it is a buyers market! Just look in The Marketplace. Two people are selling their whole collection, and others selling at 40 to 50% off of retail. I was in two stores recently and both had pieces at 40% off of retail. One store had about 5 to 6 pieces discounted and the other had over 15 pieces discounted. It makes me wonder if I should wait before I buy the new pieces.(NOT!) Lower numbered editions will help move pieces off the shelves, but I guess store owners need to move the old stock to make room for the new!

Re: Flood vs Price #76309 07/10/01 02:26 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Duh.

Could the state of the Economy have anything to do with this? Collections being sold to raise money. Sellers on ebay accepting lower-than-market-price. Sales down - according to Bill Y at the Chicago seminar - by about 5% in the year 2000.

Let's not blame this ALL on Harbour Lights. Yes, the 9,500 - 10,000 edition size decision was optimistic and made too early. As others have noted, HL learns from their mistakes and listens to collectors. Thus the carefully thought-out edition sizes of the last 2 years.

Re: Flood vs Price #76310 07/10/01 03:34 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Moby, I agree with you.

I don't think it's the price of LE's because they're not too expensive at between $70 to $80. But there are just too many releases a year. I have run out of space and even though I want every one that comes out, so far this year I have only bought four compared to the 100 plus I bought in two and one half years. In 1999 and 2000 I purchased just about every release and now, I just can't. I have to buy only those pieces that I consider WOW's and not all of releases as I have been doing. I have two curios that are full, I have three LE's that I haven't even taken out of the boxes yet and I just don't know where to put the empty boxes anymore! I suppose reality has set in and I know that I just can't have every LE that is produced.

Joanne

Re: Flood vs Price #76311 07/10/01 07:01 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
As I have said before I don't collect lighthouses because they are LEs or Oes but because the are pieces of history.When I first found HLs the first piece I looked at was my home town light Chatham Ma.and when I saw how wrong it was I refused to buy it and stayed away from them for about a year.then I began to look at them carefully and started to buy them but only after careful inspection.I noticed some talk about Cape Florida in these postings.I wont be buying one butI will be interesed in seeing it.The LE I left on the shelf because it had a serious flaw to my inspection but recently I was looking over the little lights at my dealers and found that the flaw had been corrected.On the water side of Cape Florida there are three windows one over the other and one small window near the top on the other side.It will be interesting to see if the correction will carry over to the Glow or if they will follow the LE.I have suggested to BY a couple times that he could put out another LE of Chatham,not just correcting the extra dormers but make the correction and make it with the twin towers as it once was so it would not be just a correction but like a different light.Well again this is the way I look at collecting.To each his own.Bill O'Brien

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Flood vs Price #76312 07/11/01 06:39 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks Bill and Joanne. I see that I am not the only one concerned with the developement of Harbour Lights. Now St. John, how do you feel about this discussion? You are definitely an icon in my collecting mind. Let me hear from you!!!

Moby

Moby
Re: Flood vs Price #76313 07/31/01 02:41 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Joanne, it sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat on this one! I haven't displayed any new pieces in the past few years. I have them in storage - waiting to see the light of day. I am trying my best to keep up with all the new ones. It is discouraging to buy these pieces and not being able to display them. Hopefully, this will change in the next few months! I am getting ready to build a large display case to hold most of my collection. I am going to call it "The Mother of all Display Cases." I will take pictures before, during and after construction. Hopefully, I will be able to post the pictures here in the forums!

Re: Flood vs Price #76314 08/01/01 10:20 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Responding to Moby's original question - I think this is a golden time for new collectors to fill in some hard to get pieces as well as getting some great values on newer pieces. I do think this is a temporary dip due to many economical factors.
Five years from now those first 49 will be even rarer (<5500) and the additional collectors will make the >5500 in shorter supply.
Collectors in 2006 will not be collecting all HLs but will want to add those local regional hard-to-get LEs as the jewel of their collection.
Or maybe not!
Anyway, Kristin will have some nice surprises for her collection in the near future.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Flood vs Price #76315 08/02/01 05:55 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
>>Anyway, Kristin will have some nice surprises for her collection in the near future.<<

In 2006? - Would that be the complete Door County series? :-)

Re: Flood vs Price #76316 08/02/01 10:53 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Quote:
Collectors in 2006 will not be collecting all HLs but will want to add those local regional hard-to-get LEs as the jewel of their collection

Some of us might not.

Re: Flood vs Price #76317 08/02/01 12:39 PM
Torchbearer Offline
Bob, count me as one of those in the "maybe not" category. For me, and considering I live in NC, THE regional hard-to-get LE would be a CH1. I can pretty much predict that I will never own that piece. I did however complete my NC lighthouse collection by purchasing a CH2 months ago.

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: Flood vs Price #76318 08/02/01 01:12 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
So far Tim, Kristin is an eastcoaster. I don't think she's opposed to receiving LEs from any region! lol

There you go Torch - CH2 to most of us is that rare jewel! CH1 and Coquille are untouchables!!!!!!!

LONG ISLAND BOB

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,389 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users