Print Thread
Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76116 06/26/01 12:26 AM
S
SThompson Offline OP
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
S
We all know Bill can't possibly continue to keep the pace up on all the events, signings, festivals and club meetings he's been attending each year. I am kind of curious about what this board thinks about Harbour Lights continuing to have an actual Company Representative beginning to fill in for Bill. It's time for Bill and Nancy to relax and enjoy themselves, imho!

Do you think Harbour Lights needs to keep promoting themselves through the above type of events?

If Harbour Lights continues to have signings who would you like to see on the road representing the company? Kim, Harry, Mo, etc?

Will a Harbour Lights Sales Rep. fill the gap? Are you thrilled about attending a signing if it is only hosted by a Rep?

What are your suggestions if any of the current selection of Harbour Lights Employees are already to vital to leave the office and hit the road as Bill does now?

Any thoughts? Anybody else wondering these things besides me?

Add your comments or suggestions!

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76117 06/26/01 12:35 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Fire! Fire! There's a fire in the oil house. Gee Sean - if that isn't a grab 'em topic title I don't what is. :-)

Why would I want a piece signed by a rep?

Who would I like to see at signings if it's not Bill. That's easy. I'd like to see Bob.

__
/im

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 06-25-2001).]

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76118 06/26/01 12:40 AM
S
SThompson Offline OP
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
S
Tim there is no Bob. Any real requests from the Fog Signal Building? I want readership and comment! LOL

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76119 06/26/01 12:54 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Who is that etc guy? I see him all over the place... must be pretty famous! Maybe I could have him/her come to our next club meeting and watch Bill signing to learn how to sign your name be warm and friendly and carry on either a conversation or a story while keeping the pace of the line moving depending on how many people there are in line.

Maybe not! There is only one Bill Younger on this earth and I think he and Nancy are doing exactly what they want to do and when they stop is the time to try someone else or just not have signings.

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76120 06/26/01 01:02 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Hey Popeye, its the FSB- you gets what you get. LOL!

>>Tim there is no Bob. <<

Now just cause the guy's dead, there's no reason to be rude. LOL! You probably don't believe in Santa Clause - but you still get presents don't you? :-)

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 06-25-2001).]

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76121 06/26/01 01:05 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
As much as we would like to think otherwise, Sean, I have to agree with you. It absolutely amazes me the schedule that Bill and Nancy keep. I would bet, though, that it will be very difficult to slow them down.

Given that, I do feel that signings are an important part of the Harbour Lights "culture" as it might be called. I would consider using Kim, Harry, and Maureen at a variety of events around the country. Possibly a combination of store events and possibly mini-area events (city wide or so) taht would be hosted by several dealers at a "neutral" site.

I would also then like to see Bill and Nancy attend a series of Regional events. Instead of the current 4, maybe 8 to 10 to allow more people to see them. You can not deny that a significant part of the HL culture is meeting the Youngers and interacting with them.

On the issue of rep events - personally I would do away with them, now or in the future.

Dave

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76122 06/26/01 03:47 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Knowing you John, you would love to try...That sure was funny when that guy (old & blind) ...came up and said "hi Bill"...Maybe it would work in Sun City

Ruthie

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76123 06/26/01 11:10 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
If it ever came down to it, I guess my vote would be less individual signings, but more regional events, maybe 10-15. Do away with the Rep. events and pieces, and have one event piece. This would make getting one of the event pieces more worth while, and valuable. It seems to me that Bills signature is of more sentimental value than monetary value,(I know I'm probably opening up another can of worms with that statement) so it would make those that want signatures work for 'em. Then again, limiting the chances to get a signature may make them worth more. I don't know. Hopefully it's something we don't have to worry about for a long time.

Mike

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76124 06/26/01 01:09 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Short and to the point... Bill & Nancy YES, reps NO! I agree with Paul. Bill enjoys visiting with people at the signing events as much as the collectors enjoy visiting with him. If he didn't, then I'm sure he would discontinue doing them. I work because I have to, I paint because I want to and enjoy it! If Bill enjoys the signing events then more power to him, it's his life and his call, not ours.

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76125 06/26/01 04:30 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
I would only want to have pieces signed by Bill or Nancy Younger. The sales reps (not HL's employees) don't have their heart and soul in their work. They may have 15 or 20 different lines and focus more strongly on 5 or 6 of the group.

As for Bill's participation at signings, well, I think it's a good tool to get firsthand feedback and ideas from his customers. I've learned that the man is capable of doing many things at one time, he can sign pieces, pose for photos, chat, answer questions, ask questions and drink his coffee all at the same time. That takes talent!

Joanne

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76126 06/26/01 05:30 PM
S
SThompson Offline OP
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
S
Quote:
If Bill enjoys the signing events then more power to him, it's his life and his call, not ours.

This is a little off the track of what my questions are all about and it was never suggested that it was "our" call. I never said or implied that he didn't enjoy what he was doing and I never suggested that we needed to run his life. My question was simply that when and if Bill doesn't want to do this anymore who would you like to see, if anybody? No more, no less!

Paul's comment nails down what I am questioning.

Quote:
when they stop is the time to try someone else or just not have signings

Who would you like to see if anybody?

I asked for comment and certainly Steve's are welcome. I just don't want it to be perceived that I am suggesting we run Bill's life. LOL Popeye, over and out.

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 06-26-2001).]

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76127 06/26/01 07:24 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
Let's see...who took over when Van Gogh called it quits...or Tennessee Williams...or Mozart? There is no replacement for Bill. He's one of a kind...that rare combination of brains, vision, personality, and the best first name in the world.

End of discussion. Next thread, please...

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76128 06/26/01 11:39 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
I know, Bill, I'm late, but thought I'd give my humble opinion on this subject anyway.

A. Do you think HLs need to keep promoting thru events?
Surely this helps with new collectors who would feel a part of the fold with this kind of event. Each different event you mentioned meets needs of the collector. Do stats show that they are good for sells? Bill is the "main show" when it comes to Harbour Lights and altho' time needs to be taken to relax and enjoy themselves, perhaps Bill and Nancy do take some of that time that we aren't privy to and maybe they are having "the time of their lives" with their schedules like they are.

But if any of these were cut out, we would have fewer lights to buy for the collection and the pleasure of the Younger's superb company.

2.On the road, who but Bill?
Since I have enjoyed all three, Kim, Harry and Mo, any of those would be a good choice. Harry is very knowledgable about lighthouses. But, signing pieces becomes another issue.

3. Rep signing....Not for me! But if you used it as a club meeting...and invited others...perhaps the rep could study up and give some info...

4.HL Employees on the road? It would take some genuine getting use to...even if some of us don't deal with change well, but bottom line I agree with Paul, perhaps the signings could just stop.

Maybe Connie Small has shared her secret with Bill and Nancy. Hope I expressed what you were looking for without being redundant, Sean
Derith

[This message has been edited by Nana (edited 06-26-2001).]

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76129 06/26/01 11:55 PM
D
DaveVB Offline
D
This comment may appear to be coming out of left field - I am an admirer of Harbour Lights pieces, because of their quality and appearance, and I just like light houses in general. I am neither a "professional" or even "ranking amateur collector per se. But it seems to me that there are only a couple of signatures that would mean anything on any given piece - someone like Bill, the Founder of the line, or, the designer of the particular piece. If I have a signed book, I'd want it to be signed by the author or editor, not some sales representatives from the publishing house. What am I missing?

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76130 06/27/01 12:47 AM
Torchbearer Offline
For me, it's Bill and Nancy all the way. No way will anyone else do at this time (no offense). A dealer rep. sign my piece? Not in my lifetime! IMHO, the popularlity of Harbour Lights is due in part to the P.R. Bill does. I do attend events that are rep. only, but it just doesn't have the zeal as those attended by Bill. Like Paul stated, Bill and Nancy are doing exactly what they want to do. I think that, if they were to stop, they would get real old, really fast. I was surprised to find out Bills age at one meeting. Getting out and meeting with the collectors is keeping him young(er).

One of these days, Bill and Nancy will no longer be with us. His legacy will continue to live on through Kim (I trust) and it will be her signature that will be sought after. If I am still on the face of this earth then, I'm sure I will look at any number of HLs with Bill's signature, pause and reflect on the fond memories of his humor, wit, and his love of lighthouses. But, this is not an epitaph. Bill and Nancy are here and for a long time I pray, and this collector is going to take full advantage of it!

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76131 06/27/01 01:06 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Well there goes Digger trying to stir up trouble again! After rereading the post, your right Sean, I did seem to wander off into another un-called-for direction. Must be the heat, or eating just too much dirt! Therefore I will just stick to my first sentence....Bill & Nancy YES, reps NO!

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76132 06/27/01 04:57 PM
S
SThompson Offline OP
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
S
No prob. Steve. I kind of thought that this was a pretty interesting subject that deserved some comment. I'm not sure what the consensus is at this point. Many say they don't wish to have lighthouses signed by anyone other than Bill or Nancy but they don't say whether they would attend an event to get an event piece if Bill or Nancy are not signing. Does that mean that if Bill has decided to kick back and travel instead of promote Harbour Lights each weekend we don't want event pieces?
[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 06-27-2001).]

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76133 06/27/01 06:17 PM
Torchbearer Offline
Hey Sean... I did state in my post that I do attend rep. events. It gives me a chance to meet other collectors.

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76134 06/27/01 06:51 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Event pieces are what they are..... "event" pieces. They are a special added edition to everyone's collection and if you can only obtain them at events I think that is enough to draw the avid collector. Bill's presence and his autograph is another added treat that adds to the experience. If Bill or Nancy was to discontinue attending the signings I would still be there but I may not be so willing to travel as far to an event. At this time I would only get a piece signed by Bill or Nancy, when they are gone that may change but I'm not going to worry about that for a long time.

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76135 06/27/01 07:44 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
In August, Bill will mark his 71st Birthday. He still travels as much or more than 2 years ago when the number of store signings was reduced. That change was made so he could spend time visiting those who were keepers or the children of keepers.

He travels at least a quarter of a million miles a year by air.

Bill's appearances have, of course, been good for Harbour Lights. He draws casual collectors and the hard core group like us. Many individuals have told me that they really began to collect in earnest after meeting Bill at an event.

The stores who have Bill signing events do well in sales of Harbour Lights in proportion to the effort they put into publicizing the event.

But beyond the benefits to the stores and to Harbour Lights' sales, Bill is also a catalyst to bringing collectors together who then share their love of Harbour Lights AND of lighthouses. Often these collectors end up forming clubs which take on projects to help restore a lighthouse.

Bill and Nancy's appearances are a part of Harbour Lights' efforts to continue the legacy of lighthouses. As some have noted in the past here, HL often donates models when a school is holding a lighthouse study or when a collector is speaking to a school or collector club.

Maureen reports that Jakers appearance recently at a general collectors club in Illinois spurred several people he talked to to come to the Chicago Collectorsfest. Four of those people ended up joining the Collectors Society -- specifically because they were impressed with Stephen's enthusiasm for Harbour Lights and lighthouses.

Someday, of course, Bill will not be able to travel as much. When that time comes, collectors will still meet to share their interests in Harbour Lights and in lighthouses. When that time comes, let's hope it is many, many years from now -- and that when we do meet in that future time, it will be to honor Bill's memory as a very significant force in the effort to save our Lighthouse heritage.

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76136 06/27/01 11:38 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
>>Does that mean that if Bill has decided to kick back and travel instead of promote Harbour Lights each weekend we don't want event pieces? <<

I wasn't too thrilled with last year's Bill event piece *and* a rep event piece (special version of Beckoning Beacons). The event pieces have gotten more elaborate and expensive. Sunken Rock at $25 is still my favorite. One special event piece per year is plenty.

I do like the idea of the Regional Event piece (with optional gold platting). If these continue in the same vein as what we had in Chicago, they'll be like mini-Reunions. If, down the road, Bill can't keep up an arduous signing schedule, then 3-4 regional events each year would do just fine.
__
/im

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76137 06/28/01 01:24 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Traveling must agree with Bill, as I think he looks great for pret near 71! I'm sure we all appreciate the time and effort he and Nancy spend signing pieces, attending functions, etc.

The only other person I'd ever want to sign a piece might be someone closely affiliated with the particular light.

Besides serving as get-togethers signing events sell pieces and attract new collectors. I think Bill will continue as long as he's able. PR is good for business.

Rep events? Never went to one. Don't have any strong desire to.

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76138 06/28/01 03:24 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Did no one else notice the "auditions being held today" sign at Navy Pier?

Quote:
The only other person I'd ever want to sign a piece might be someone closely affiliated with the particular light.

Dave

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76139 06/28/01 06:11 PM
Torchbearer Offline
LOL Dave. Now, I will allow Sue to sign my Sister(s)(which I have to do yet) and Stephen sign Sherwood. Okay Sue... you going to stick with the Sharpee?

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76140 06/28/01 07:52 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
I think that if Bill ever had to give up his participation in HL events It would be pretty near impossible to replace him.Even when you disagree with him you cannot say I dont like him.He is still young and has a few years to catch up to me so maybe we can keep going for a bit.I really think Bill is the glue that keeps this whole thing together and He will be very hard to replace.Some one might take his job but replace him never.Bill O'Brien

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76141 06/28/01 09:34 PM
Beaconfollower Offline
Bill & Nancy are Harbour Lights. He should go as he can endure. Then when his reign is done, it will be a sad day for us all. Especially for us who will never make it to a signing. But someone else to sign other than Bill & Nancy? That would be like Disney World without Minnie & Mickey.

Sheryl

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons
Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76142 06/29/01 05:03 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Yes,

Harbour Lights should continue signings, rep. events and regionals.

No,

There is no one who could replace Bill or Nancy doing signings.

Rep. Events do have a place. They create excitement, if not excitement, at least a stir at the stores where they are held. This draws potential new collectors in and sets the groundwork for them to purchase a Harbour Light. The store does have to set the mood and advertise the event however. People have to see that something special is going on, for example balloons, refreshments, raffles, ect. The reps I have met have been helpful and had a good rapport with non-collectors. They have had a knowledge of the line and stories of Bill going to take photos a a particular light, why a light was chosen to be sculpted, or history of the light itself. It is always a pleasure to speak with our rep Nelson Debendet(sp?).

As far as having a rep signing pieces. No thanks. If it isn't Bill or Nancy, it really dosn't mean anything. (Unless it is Jakers or Mombo of course)

-Todd

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76143 06/29/01 11:44 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
As mentioned by Torch I attended both the St.Augustine event and Florida regional and the Piece from St augie was signed when I picked it up Sunday morning and the cape St.George I didnt even bother to bring in to get signed but just to be there to meet and be with other collectors with Bill,Nancy and Harry made the event memorable.Certainly not watching people with shopping bags and boxes full to be signed.to have an event to enjoy the company means more than a signature.Bill O'Brien

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76144 07/01/01 04:54 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Although I have several HLs that have been signed by Bill or Nancy, I've yet to bring additional pieces to a Bill or Nancy event. Many collectors enjoy having all their HLs signed if possible but it really isn't that important to me.

Bill or Nancy should be the only people signing HLs. I would avoid buying an HL with some reps signature on it. That's just the way I feel.

I hope Bill and/or Nancy will continue to hit the road and visit with their collectors whenever time allows them to.

Bob

Re: Bill Younger does no more signings!!! #76145 07/06/01 01:47 PM
K
Kevin Offline
K
I am in awe of Bill Younger's energy, enthusiasm, and friendliness at the signing events. His signature would always be a prime bonus, and I could see wanting the signature of a few top Harbour Lights employees. But no rep signatures. Even given that I would like to have Bill's or Nancy's or Kim's signatures on a piece, it has never been something that I am willing to pay more for on the secondary market -- I value them instrinsically as personal mementos. With my book collection, about the only signatures I seek are the author, illustrator, or someone who is intimately involved with the content (such as a character or editor).

There is another signature that I have on a HL piece, and that's the keeper of Selkirk (Jim Walker). When I visited there last month I was tickled to get to tour the inside of the lighthouse, even into the birdcage, then I was just as pleased to find that the adjacent marina store had Selkirk LE's for sale. It was great to purchase one and have it signed by someone with a strong connection to the lighthouse. I'd also be glad to get the HL collector's signature who wins a collector's choice contest.

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 929 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users