Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Details, Details, & Details #75846 06/13/99 10:44 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I've noticed a real difference in details on the different pieces. Highland and Skituate are about the same time but the details on the towers and very different. When did the real improvement in deatils begin? Anyone know?

Moby

Moby
Re: Details, Details, & Details #75847 06/13/99 12:07 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Let me firther expand on this topic. Currituck, Bodie Island, New Canal, Morris Island (Then)& Highland are limited on the porch details on the houses. Sanabel, Thomas Point, Drum Point, Gay Head, Sea Girt, etc. have a much better detail. Anyone know when the change was instituted and how it came about?

Towers on older models have qypsum or plaster material railing. Sand Point Shoals, Bodie Island, Currituck, Morris Island, etc are examples. New models have metal or plastic railings, Sanabel, Nobska, Edgarton, etc. are examples. Old old models had no railings at all. Sand Island. Again how did these changes develope? Anyone know?

I've read Jim Rutherford's book but this was not investigated. Saint John, do you know the history of these events?

Love my collection and I am totally addicted. The proof of the value of these sculptures is in the historical history and the details. My home has always been the lower Virginia peninsula. Tidewater born and bred.

All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Moby of Tidewater Virginia

Where the tide is running high and the drizzle continues to fall!!

Moby
Re: Details, Details, & Details #75848 06/13/99 12:20 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Moby - here's a link to a previous thread on "Breakthrough" pieces:

http://216.46.163.97/forums/Forum1/HTML/000169.html

It is fun to look at pieces that seem so much better than previous issues!

Part of this, of course, has to be the sculptors. The original 17 (1991) I believe were crafted by one person -- who left their name on several of them (C.J.Curtis ring a bell?)

Harry Hine's father is John Hine who was the producer of David Winter's cottages and so there is some speculation that Harry brought with him that attention to detail that characterized David Winter's work. Jim Rutherford speculated on which pieces Harry might have sculpted. However, I believe Harry's only work as a sculptor was on the Legacy Lights. He certainly raised the standard by challenging the artists to improve, however.

1992 issues featuring Portland Head and Southeast Block Island made the 1991 issues pale by comparison. Coloration and detail in 1993 supassed 1992.

Which piece or pieces dramatically improved the detail to what we see today?

I'm also fascinated by how a sculptor is able to produce a sculpture in material that is all one color, imagining what the final product will look when painted.

Re: Details, Details, & Details #75849 06/13/99 05:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the post Moby and for resurfacing this question. Thanks, John, I really appreciate the reference made to the other thread so that those of us who had not read it could.

Not an artistic bone in my body. So, I am in awe of the ability the sculptors have and I show them my appreciation by buying HLs. So many lighthouse replicas out there on the market but HL stands alone when one compares design quality and the way collectors are treated. I think they could teach other companies a great deal about customer relations.

Derith

[This message has been edited by Derith Bennett (edited 06-13-99).]

Re: Details, Details, & Details #75850 06/14/99 07:21 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks John,

A wealth of info for all in that post.

Moby

Moby

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 871 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users