Print Thread
Double Take? #75560 11/06/02 01:31 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Bobem tells us he occasionalyy buys duplicates of LEs when he runs across a good deal.

Do you buy 'extra' models?

Which model you do have the most of?

T

Re: Double Take? #75561 11/06/02 09:18 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
You rang? Currently I have about thirty duplicate HL's in my storage area. I even have some triplicates.

If I see a deal on eBay or happen to stop by a store that is closing or no longer carrying HL's, I look for lights from my area of the country. Some HL's are given as gifts, while others are sold for a small profit.

Is it worth my time? Probably not, but I enjoy doing it. It also provides me the opportunity to pass on a deal to a friend or two.

Sometimes it works, and other times it may not. For example, I offered HL 241 the Panama Canal Matched Set for retail at the New Marketplace. This is Flag #529 of a piece that only 4000 were made. It didn't sell. Maybe I should offer it for $50 and see if it goes.

Well thats what I do in between shipments from my dealer. It still affords me the opportunity to "hunt them down" even though I have them all (except for Coquille River LE).

smile Bob smile

Re: Double Take? #75562 11/06/02 08:33 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I buy extras of the ones that I think are going to go up in price. I keep them a few years and then sell/trade them. This keeps my addiction going without breaking the bank account or plastic card. I currently have two LE Acatraz pieces left out of 24 extra pieces. Sometimes you win and sometimes you loose buying extras, but, most of the time you are ahead. I'm sure glad that I didn't invest in Cheryl Spencer Colin's pieces and got interested in HL when I first started out.

Rich laugh

Rich
Re: Double Take? #75563 11/06/02 10:43 PM
TDSimpson Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I think I have had maybe 5 duplicate pieces in 6 years of collecting, with 4 of those used as trade pieces for lights that I wanted. If I came across a good deal on other pieces I would probably pick them up for future trades.

I tried selling the duplicates at retail but didn't get any interest. However when I was looking for a trade for a certain piece I received offers every time. Makes me think that I am trading my duplicates for someone elses duplicates. Fine with me though as I got what I was looking for.

Anyone need a mint St. George's Reef?

Tom

Re: Double Take? #75564 11/06/02 11:02 PM
lhlover Offline
I just started my collection and just usually purchase the ones I need or want. Though I did pick up a second Amelia Island Society Piece. I purchased my first one from a fellow Wacko, but found it on Ebay for a GREAT deal (I should say - "GREAT Steal!). I figured that I would donate it to the FLA for the next meetings auction. For those that don't have the lighthouse - it will be a great buy and it will help the FLA in turn! smile

I would pick up any double at that kind of price to help out the FLA! wink

BonnieJean
bjexum@floridalighthouses.org
Visit: www.floridalighthouses.org

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users