Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75168 06/09/99 09:23 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
OK, let's hear those stories. How you came across a mint Coquille River in the storeroom of some remote dealer in Oklahoma last year and snapped it up for $55.

Don't make 'em up (like I did up there).

Guess some of the ones that excited me most I found in the Fall of 1997 on a road trip between Cincinatti and Columbus. I hit 37 dealers in 3 days and found 3 Point Arenas and 2 Point Fermins and a Red Legacy. All at retail.

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75169 06/09/99 11:52 PM
A
AlanBeckman Offline
A
I bought an Alcatraz GLOW on EBAY. The paperwork was missing Who needs paperwork for a GLOW anyway? I got it for $45. When it arrived I was surprised to find the piece was Alcatraz GLOW 407 which was changed to LE 177. A quick call to Harbour Lights got me the missing paperwork. Clean living does pay off.

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75170 06/10/99 01:27 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
In November of '96 the spouse found Ponce de Leon and Admiralty Head (misspelled) sitting on the shelf of a local Hallmark store. Retail price.

We spent a week trying to decide if we should buy them. (pre-wacko era)

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75171 06/10/99 01:52 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
May '97: Diamond Head at retail

August '97: 2-Tybees at retail, traded one straight up for a 1st mold Assateague.

September '97: Found an extra Pt. Fermin at retail, traded it straight up for a Big Bay.

October '97: Holland (3 digit), Montauk, and Old Mac at the same Hallmark store at retail.

May '98: St. Simons (3 digit) at an estate sale auction for $100

Nov. '98 - Jan '99: With approx. $200 extra, ALOT of creative trading, persistance and luck...was able to convert all 5 reunion pieces (NPL, NPL mini, Rose Island reunion, Rose Island society, and Rose Island mini) to all have matching #33 serial numbers! Now all I need is that elusive Mark Sherman #33 Rose Island print.
Rod Watson
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 07-12-99).]

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75172 06/10/99 01:59 AM
A
Al and Kathy Offline
A
How about picking up a Coquille in the real early days and thinking "no, I'll get another instead?" This was Coquille at retail, by the way, and was before the spouse also got hooked on HLs.

Kathy

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75173 06/10/99 02:30 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Point Fermin at 25% off retail, complete with binder, Legacy copies, print and pin. Dealer remembered that we had bought the Stamp Series a couple months earlier (our first HL purchase) so gave us a deal on the no longer current club piece! Ended up buying Stonington from another store belonging to same dealer, but did have to pay retail.

Sure sounds like Rod had a pretty good run fall of 97!

Dave

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75174 06/10/99 08:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No. 1

May 1997

We were living in California. We went to Pennsylvania to put on a family reunion for Michael (my new husband) to meet the family. The day after the reunion, we decided to take a ride in the country and came across a rather large collectibles shop. We asked the owner if he had any HL's. He thought there were some in a cabinet in the rear of the store, but he wasn't sure what was there. And he said, "by the way, anything I have in the Harbour Lights line is 20% off."

We left the store with seventeen 5500 series retired MIB LE's at 20% off retail and he threw in a Pt. Fermin ornament at $5.

When we were checking out, we felt so quilty that we mentioned to the store owner that some of these had a secondary value that would be well over double what we were paying. The shop owner said no problem, he is a retail dealer and doesn't deal in the secondary market for HL's.

The kicker was when we were checking out he mentioned he had a few more pieces in the the basement and asked if we would be interested. Of course, the answer was yes and I asked him if he might have a Coquille or Hatteras. He said, "you know, I believe I have both." When he returned what seemed to be an hour later (was actually only about 3 minutes) he asked one of his sales clerks what had happened to the Coquille and Hatteras that had just had in inventory. Her reply, "Oh I just sold those about a week ago." Yes, at 20% off retail. OK, which one of you out there got them?

No. 2

We received a phone call one day from a dealer we had dealt with saying he had sold his store and would sell us anything he had in stock at 25% off. We left his store three hours later with 24 MIB Retired LE's at 25% off!!

No. 3

We went to a signing event in Los Angeles one night at Collector's Haven. When we got there we found out Bill Younger was not going to be there and in his stead were going to be Nancy Younger and Harry Hine. This was so long ago, that we didn't even know who these Bill, Nancy and Harry people were. The store had done a deal where if you bought anything in the HL line you were given 3 chance tickets for a drawing. We bought six of the pieces we had been wanting to get and ended up with 24 chances (the sales clerk gave us a couple extra). We won Ft. Niagara, Tybee, Heceda Head, Mukilteo Light and Gross Point; five calendars, two t-shirts, a sweat shirt, a set of note cards, a membership package and Harry just about banned us from the drawing at that point. We don't blame him at all. It was bizarre! It was totally fun! And Nancy and Harry signed every piece we won and the 20 we had brought with us.

We felt kind of quilty, so we gave back 3 of the calendars and the membership. But we didn't feel guilty enough to give back any of the LE's.

No. 4

When we were living in California, we used to go to events at Dana Drugs in Toluca Lake, CA. Everytime we went, we won an LE and one time won the Event Piece. It got to the point, when the rep and shop owner saw us walk in the door at the next event, they would just laugh, knowing full well that we would probably win yet another one!

We actually have a couple more great deals, and we won New London Ledge Glow at the 98 Reunion, but the 4 above were the biggest.

We have been exceptionally lucky in our acquisitions of our HL's as you can see and it has been great fun.

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75175 06/10/99 11:58 AM
LamarB Offline
I bought Boston Harbor LE with lightning rod last year at below retail, no box.

------------------
Keepin' the flame

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75176 06/10/99 12:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who can top the good fortunate treks of the Power's family? Not I !!

Have found a few HL at dealers who are not going to carry the line anymore-Found Sturgeon Bay, Ida Lewis, Macquarie(sp) for 50% of its suggested price. While in Reno in Jan.(skiing trip) I visited Oakman's and they were having a 25% off and I picked up a Lorain as a present for our school's AP.

I am also buying some retired from a local collector who is selling his entire collection. He has been very fair in his prices and is willing to let me pay by the month. Of course, by the time I found him, he had sold the Cape Hatteras and Coquille to a secondary dealer. Can you imagine the smile on that dealers face?

Derith

[This message has been edited by Derith Bennett (edited 06-10-99).]

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75177 06/10/99 02:48 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
While on vacation in Tampa, back in april, I e-mailed St. John for a dealer list for Fl., because the list was down. He got it sent to me in about 1hr.
With the list in hand I hit every Hl dealer in Tampa, Clearwater, Ft Myers, Sarasota, and St Petersburg. I was able to pick up a Point Fermin, Rose Island and a Port Sanilac all at retail. While not the greatest haul in this thread, it was my best 2 days of hl hunting.

------------------
Weasel58

[This message has been edited by Weasel58 (edited 06-10-99).]

Eric
Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75178 06/10/99 03:27 PM
O
orv Offline
O
I got a Navesink, Red and Blue Legacy and 7 other pieces at 50% off from a dealer discontinuing the HL line. I thought that was pretty good but pales in comparison to some of the other stories. HAPPY HUNTING

ORV
Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75179 06/10/99 04:14 PM
S
ScottD Offline
S
I was on vacation in October,1998, and stopped in a store in Michigan’s upper peninsula. I was amazed when I saw that they had a New London Ledge LE marked at 25% off of RETAIL! The only thing wrong with it was that it was missing the box.

Needless to say, I grabbed it and ran to the cash register with credit card in hand!

[This message has been edited by ScottD (edited 06-10-99).]

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75180 06/10/99 10:12 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
In February, I decided to collect lighthouses. Not knowing much about lines, I was buying a cheap manufacturer. When I found Ebay, I saw a Harbour Lights Lighthouse for the first time. I was thrilled when I won Roosevelt Island. The next day while I was having lunch at the mall, I saw that Fibber MaGee's Kountry Shop was closing and it was the last day. Everything was 70 percent off. I went in and looked to see if there were any lighthouses. Sure enough, there were many Harbour Lights. I bought Great Captain's Island, New Canal, Selkirk, Michigan City, Round Rock and Heceta Head for less than $120 total. There were other pieces there, including a legacy. I wish I knew then what I know now, I'd have rented a u-haul to drive the whole lot home if I had to.

Also, I want to thank Karen and Mike Powers for my Roosevelt Island, NY, and for telling me about the Forum.

Joanne

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75181 06/10/99 11:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Joanne,

It's really good to see you here and hear how your collection is growing and sounds like you got a great bargain. It was our absolute pleasure on the Roosevelt you bought from us.

Michael and Karen

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75182 06/11/99 04:20 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
My best deal in Harbour Lights?

It is not what you might think. My best deal was finding a group of people who share the same passion of lighthouses, take the time to share their wisdom and experiences, and just plain are addicted like me.

Ok, Ok, I agree it is a bit sappy, corny, mushy, ect.. but it is true. You are all a great group of people, whom I would call my friends, and hope to meet in person some day. Hopefully, others out there feel the same way as I do.

That's my best deal.

-Todd

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75183 06/12/99 01:06 AM
C
cyberkeeper Offline
C
I would have to say my best deal was on a trip to New England,in 95. My wife and I had already purchased about five pieces when we stopped in a shop that had 30% off sale, we proceeded to purchase five more. A couple days later and after a stop at the Lighthouse Depot and a few more pieces, we found a little shop in Cape Porpoise. There we found a Hilton Head along with 3 Portland Heads but only enough funds for one piece I got the Hilton Head since I already had a Portland Head. That trip was when the bug bit hard.

cyberkeeper

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75184 06/12/99 05:31 AM
G
Gayle M Offline
G
My best deal in Harbour Lights....Boston Harbor LE at retail last year, tan Beavertail at 50% off, joining the collectors society, and last but not least finding this site!

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75185 06/12/99 02:53 PM
Kaiz Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Oct.98 - No.1
Was fortunate enough to purchase a couple chances for the reunion raffle and walked away with a Cape Blanco and a Cape Hatteras Mold 1.
Jan.99 - No.2
We were able to pick up 23 pcs. including Rose Island for 50% off.
Feb.99 - No.3
Found a Pt.Arena at retail.
1998 - No.4
My dealer found a Pt.Fermin in her back room and sold it at retail.
Summer 99 - No.5
Purchased a Buffalo for $25
Purchased a 99 membership collection: 7 Ft. Knoll, Balt. and Pt.Fermin mini at dealers cost(dealer decided to no longer stock HL)

For now, Patty and I will continue the quest for the next ultimate deal.

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75186 06/15/99 02:23 AM
D
dwood Offline
D
3/14/98 - Pt. Fermin at retail
8/3/98 - Spyglass mini collection (Collectors Society) for $30.

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75187 06/15/99 10:46 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
My best deal would have to be buying the four New Point Loma lighthouses at the San Diego Reunion and what I received in trade for three of them. It probably averaged out to about $1000 in value for each New Point Loma. They went from $210 (purchase price) to $3000 (value) in a couple of months time and I was able to reach my wacko goal of getting all (except the original Hatteras) in less than a years time. I made that goal in a little over ten months from my first lighthouse, Currituck, to the last, Coquille.

I also was able to have them all signed by Bill in a years time, in fact he signed the last ones on December 6 exactly one year to the day that I bought the Currituck. Getting the extra New Point Loma's made it all happen.

WackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75188 06/15/99 07:19 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Probably my best is the one that I just got today. While home for lunch I checked ebay (one of my daily rituals). There I spied a Port Sanilac with only 10 minutes left, threw in a bid and won it. Final cost, (with S/H) $57.

Digger

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75189 06/27/99 07:34 PM
N
Noelle Offline
N
In nov '96, I found 10 102r pieces in a catalog at 50% off their price of $50.
Those 10 pieces have gotten me the out of reach pieces (Hilton Head,2 Portland Heads,Ponce De Leon,Cape Neddick,Sandy Hook, West Quoddy,Southeast Block Island,St Augustine,and a red sign), and still have 2 for myself.
I bought my first piece in 1993(Coquille River) after visiting it and thinking it looked just like it.
In oct '97 I found a St Simons and bought it for $90.00, the dealer said the day before someone had bought 12 pieces, and he didn't have much to fill in the spaces with, that just happened to be one of the fill in pieces.
Last but not least dec '97 I found 2 Point Fermins for sale $80 each.
I,ve been very lucky with my collecting so far. I have all of the retired pieces except the original Hatteras, but my 102r is good enough for me.

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75190 06/29/99 03:44 PM
J
Jim Johnston Offline
J
My best find was in September 97. It was at a special event in Wisconsin. I hit the doors as soon as they were open to help with the event. After that was our club meeting at Wind Point Lighthouse. As I walked in they asked me to help carry some lighthouses out of their warehouse to the front where Bill,(looking back now,maybe it was Bob) would be doing the signing. For retail I bought without any thought - Boston Harbor - Cape Hatteras 2nd mold, Hilton Head, Burrows Island, Southeast Block, Portland Head, It just goes to show the early bird gets the worm.

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75191 06/29/99 06:55 PM
LamarB Offline
Wow! JJ with a T. What a magnificent haul!

------------------
Keepin' the flame

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75192 06/29/99 07:46 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I've started a new service for Harbour Lights dealers:

Cobweb Knockers

We specialize in cleaning up storerooms, basements, back rooms, etc. for Harbour Lights dealers.

We'll even buy your old inventory.

Call 800-CLEAN-UP

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 06-29-99).]

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75193 07/04/99 08:42 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Waiting on my Thomas Point LE I purchased from a very nice gentleman at just above retail out of Oregon. This will complete my Chessy collection.

Moby

Moby
Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75194 07/04/99 01:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congratulations Moby !!
Derith

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75195 07/05/99 11:13 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
I was off today and had lots of time to play on my computer. I was doing different searches whem I came upon a website for a store that I hadn't noticed before.

They had many HL's for sale including a perfect condition Highland or Highlands I don't know which is correct for less than retail at $59 and a Stone Island, slight damage to the box only, for $47.50. This is better than last night's fireworks.

I guess it's time to start looking for that second curio cabinet.

Joanne

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75196 07/06/99 08:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Joanne,
Did you ever decide on Hillsboro? I found two on my mini SC trip.

A second curio will soon lead to a third curio. My daughter says we have a HL museum in the works.
Derith

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75197 07/06/99 08:36 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Hi Derith,

I don't think I'm going to get Hillsboro. I'm not 100% crazy about the picture and I really would like to see it first. As of yet no Hillsboro's in Central Florida. All the stores I went to, said they still have customers waiting because they did not get shipments yet.

I hope you had a good trip.

Joanne

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75198 07/07/99 10:00 AM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
The best deal I got on an HL was back in April. One of the stores that carried HL's was closing and I purchased the Horton Point piece for $45. Greta bargain and a beautiful piece.

John

Wave after wave will flow in the tide and bury the world as it does.
Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75199 07/07/99 11:08 AM
S
S Dalessandro Offline
S
My best so far was in October of '98. Picked up Pemaquid at retail during a 15% off sale.

Steve D.
Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75200 07/09/99 08:22 PM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
I know this sounds like bragging, but, my best deal on HLs came back in '91 when the rep was introducing them to my dealer and I got hooked. With a few exceptions, everything at retail.

The Ancient mariner

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75201 07/09/99 10:00 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We all talk about the importance of cultivating a good relationship with your Harbour Lights dealer. Here is a little proof of the benefits:

I went to one of my two daelers today to purchase a few pieces. Before I left, she said to hold on a minute. A minute later, she came out with a set of Keepers and Friends and told me that I could have them. I could hardly believe it, a free set of Keepers & Friends!

It goes to show that if you are loyal to your dealer, they can be pretty helpful and kind to you.

-Todd

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75202 07/10/99 02:14 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I think my best deal to date was the matching serial# stamp-series that came out in 1995. I got the entire set off Ebay spring of 1998 for $265. That's about $52 each! Came mint condition with boxes, cancelled first day issue of the postcards from Cheboygan, and all kinds of goodies. My prize possession! (as are all of my lights)

------------------
Jen

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75203 07/10/99 03:51 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Thomas Point, LE, arrive July 6, just above retail, I mean just, in mint condition. Is now proudly displayed with 5 other members of my Chessy collection.

Waiting on Baltimore Harbour. Will get 7 ft Knoll when I catch up with retiring units this year.

Moby

Moby
Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75204 07/11/99 02:44 PM
Tom and Joyce Abbott Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
No. 1.
In August 1998, went to a relatives wedding in Sioux City, Iowa. A local HL dealer told us a dealer in LeMars, Iowa was discontinuing the line and had HL on sale at 50% off. We practically flew to LeMars as the sale has been going on for several weeks. Arrived at the store to discover HL at 75% off. They had about 20 or so in stock, quite a few were damaged or had no boxes. We walked away with a matched Morris Island set, Port Isabel, Cape Blanco, Jeffrey’s Hook and Old Point Loma GLOW all MIB and at 75% off retail.

On this same trip stopped at Boone, Iowa and found another treasure. The store was in an old building on the main street in town. The clerk happened to mention they had a lot of HL in the basement. He let us go down the narrow steps to the basement and there we discovered box after box of HL. We attempted to go through the stacks looking for that elusive missing LE. Keep in mind, this is a basement in an old building, dimly lit with just a few light bulbs. Although we didn’t find any of the rare LEs, we did pick up a 1997 Society package, complete for $53.

No. 2.
Received Fort Niagara for the Certificate in our Big Sable.

No. 3.
Our dealer knew how much we wanted SE Block Island LE. She gave us one, slightly damaged, and refused to take any money for it. She knew we would give it a good home. When Bill Younger was in Dallas for the Collector’s Jubilee, we asked him about having the damage repaired. After talking with Bill, we decided to forego any repairs, as it’s not a piece we ever intend to part with.

Tom & Joyce
Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75205 07/22/99 07:05 PM
R
rihetzler Offline
R
I am with Paul. My best deal was the New Point Loma pieces. I sold one which more than covered air fare and accomadations and traded another for Diamond Head, Burrows Island and a Red Legacy Sign. I'm not as good a horse trader as Paul, but I was happy anyway. I still have another NPL and would consider trading for a couple of other retired pieces as long as one of them was Big Bay Point.
Glad you are enjoying the Thomas Point Robert. While calling around Oregon stores I found two and couldn't resist the extra. I was seriously considering displaying both but when I read on the forums that you were looking for it I decided to pass it on.

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75206 07/22/99 07:08 PM
R
rihetzler Offline
R
By the way, I have changed my e-mail address to hetzler@transport.com if you are interested in the NPL.

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75207 08/08/99 03:40 AM
B
BobNShirl Offline
B
Our best deal had to be what actually first got us started on collecting HL. My wife found a store that was not carrying HL anymore and offered her all she wanted for what ended up being about 60% off retail. She bought 32 of which 28 were LEs. Included was Pt Fermin and Stonington as well as the Lady lighthouse keepers set and the postage stamp set. A couple days later when we went back to pick everything up the owner of the shop said she found the red Legacy light and gave it to us for $10.

We've made some good deals since but this was by far our best buy. My wife is still giving me these pieces as gifts for special occassions. As a note to this, my brother bought any duplicates for the same discount.

Re: My Best Deal in Harbour Lights... #75208 08/08/99 04:15 PM
Stan Offline
Best buys I ever made on HL's have to be the first two I ever bought - St Augustine & St Simons. Bought both in 1995 at retail before I ever knew anything about the HL line, and just about the time they were both retiring. Next best would have to be the NPL's from the first Reunion.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users