Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7491 12/13/05 04:39 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
A continuation of this thread

Last posting:
Quote:
The family will be keeping control of Skybound Balloons and JP Brown and Kim will be looking after her parents' interests and travel.

She'll also be attending Harbour Lights' regional events with Bill and Nancy.

In fact, the schedule of in-store and regional events (perhaps 2 anyway) is almost completed. Normally this schedule is set up in January and into parts of February.

Let's remember that Kim was there from the beginning of Harbour Lights and her behind-the-scenes, day-to-day involvement and management helped to make it the company we grew to know and love for more than 15 years. I'm sure she appreciates your good wishes.
by yours truly...

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7492 12/13/05 06:24 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
When it comes to Harbour Lights I'm not happy, I'm not sad. I have about all the lighthouses I can ever fit into my home so over the next year or so I will see what changes are made to respark the desire to collect Harbour Lights. If it remains the way it is today or there is no drive to get Harbour Lights back to being a collectible versus giftware or trinket collecting then this change is the perfect excuse for me to pull the plug. Just because it's a lighthouse and Harbour Lights made it isn't enough of a reason to spend hard earned money on them anymore. In my opinion Bill, Nancy and Kim should just walk away. If they're not producing them anymore their presence just brings back memories I would like to cherish as fond memories, not regrets of what could have been. Whether they attend a regional, local signing or whatever will have nothing to do with if I continue to collect Harbour Lights. What is the single most important concern for me is are they worth what I am paying retail for them. It hasn't been that way since the Baltimore Reunion, IMHO!

I consider all the Younger's personal friends and I wish them the best at what ever they do. I am saddened that some of you have pointed remarks about one of them. There is no doubt in my mind that all of them have a heart of gold and I'm sure those remarks hurt! Bill and Nancy have a wonderful retirement and enjoy those grandchildren! Thanks for all the wonderful things that you have done! Don, good luck with your future endeavor. I hope you can step into the enourmous shoes that you will have to fill. I hope bringing Harbour Lights back to it's past collectible status and superior customer service will be your number one goal!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7493 12/14/05 02:47 PM
T
texaslighthouselover Offline
Wacko
Wacko
T
First let me say to Bill and Nancy, good luck on your semi-retirement. It is well deserved and y'all earned it. You have brought many joyous moments to the Booth family over the years. Again Good look and I know we'll see on down the road.
Now it's time to say "Welcome Aboard' to Don and Lighthouse Depot. As one who has his own auto-ship dealer and one who has purchased from Lighthouse Depot I know you'll continue the fine line of Harbour Lights products and I know I can expect the same great service that I received From Harbour Lights and from your company in the past. As a business man myself I know there are things you'll want to change but realistically I feel the bottomline will govern your decisions. I know I can live with that.
Looking forward to 2006.

smile Bill B. smile

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7494 12/19/05 04:17 PM
L
lightbear Offline
L
We, too, wish Bill & Nancy the best of luck in their retirement and wish Don good luck with his endeavor.

As others have said, we hope that the dealer network will be maintained. Currently we purchase our lighthouses from outside California (to avoid sales tax) and we pay no shipping charges. Although we have purchased a few lighthouses from Lighthouse Depot, we would not be willing to pay their high shipping charges to continue to purchase the LEs, especially since you have to spend $475 to qualify for free shipping. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens in 2006.

Rich & Marilyn

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7495 12/28/05 09:23 AM
Stainz Offline
I wish the originators the very best. I must admit that I am not shocked at all by their semi-retirement. My interests in H-L seemed to wane several years ago - after acquiring my latest LE, the Sand Is, AL... I have nothing over #300, despite my 200-piece collection!

I guess my interest faded as the local dealers closed or dropped H-L. At present, I know of no central Alabama dealers. I predicted their loss of interest when the newsletter ended. I hope the New Year brings great rebirths - here included - in these unique, and one-time-highly-collectible, lighthouses.

John

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7496 04/24/06 08:00 AM
Pharologst Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I got a feeling that HL will no longer be a viable business (For anybody) in the next 5 years,based on the practices of the last few, and the current/future state of the US economy. These things have gone from a great commodity to being one of strictly luxury with only limited numbers of collectors. To survive, it must appeal to a much broader base of consumners beyond the current crop of 'die-hards'who buy every HL issued. I wish all parties concerned well, but my few $$$ will probably be placed elsewhere as a precaution.

Geo H.
Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7497 04/24/06 10:43 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Let’s face it.
The market is out there, HL just needs to figure out how to tap into it.
The baby boomers just can’t carry Harbour Lights much longer. Our curio cabinets are full, and Harbour Lights can be found everywhere in our homes. They are in our closets, Sheds, garages and rented out storage. But this is only the half of it. If we would just keep what we have but it has become apparent that many are now unloading what ever they have for what ever they can get.

If I owned HL I would keep making a limited edition to follow the tradition that has been set before by Bill and family. There is a market for the limited edition but its production may be more between 500 to 2000 (depending on the lighthouse) instead of the 4500.
What I would focus on are the little lights of mine. They are holding there values better on ebay than the L.E. or the glow. Many of the L.E.’s on ebay are going for the same price as a LLOM. The LLOM does not take up the room and even some of the L.E. collectors are collecting them. I would introduce some type of Limited edition LLOM. This would start the collecting bug for the non-baby boomers and possiblely even re kindle the fire for those old timers that had sold out their collection.

This may not be popular with our established collectors but in my opinion would be a kick start for HL and would be the wave of the future.

DANIEL
Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7498 04/24/06 10:47 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
These things have gone from a great commodity to being one of strictly luxury with only limited numbers of collectors. To survive, it must appeal to a much broader base of consumers beyond the current crop of 'die-hards'who buy every HL issued.
You make a very valid point, Pharologst. Harbour Lights definitely needs to launch a grassroots effort of reaching those consumers who have expendable cash. HL Dealers are disappearing on a regular basis and that is not a good thing. Dealers close and HL loses collectors who can no longer walk into a store to view the latest releases to get the collective juices flowing.

The demise of these dealers is not because of HL's but rather a sign of an economy that no longer supports what could be considered frivolous spending. Do you spend $75 on a collectible or do you need that money to buy groceries or put gas in your vehicle.

It reminds me of what a Block Islander once told me. There are two types of money, regular and vacation money. You wouldn't pay $5 for a hot dog at home but you would on vacation. Vacation money is considered expendable cash. Regular money pays your bills and feeds your family.

Harbour Lights needs to appeal more to those who are at an age where they have extra cash and are not planning on down-sizing because of retirement. They need to reach more people who are in it for the long run and are not worried about living on a fixed income. I would say their target should be people who have raised their children and are in a position to have a few extra bucks to spend to treat themselves to things they couldn't buy when they were raising their kids or working two jobs to pay for their home.

Another important factor Harbour Lights needs to work on is building a larger base of loyal customers. Increasing their current base will require establishing new dealers in key locations probably through heavy advertising. Special events will bring many potential new people in and a warm friendly greeting from company representatives, accompanied with representaion from several serious collectors to talk-up the line, will hopefully reach a few attendees that will be repeat customers for years to come.

Is there a future for Harbour Lights? I'm betting on it. The key is getting more loyal customers involved in the line. Think about it. We have millions of consumers out there and Harbour Lights will only need three or four thousand of them to purchase their offerings to sell out every new release. Can this goal be reached? If each new release sells out within a reasonable period of time, will this increase the value of that model? I would say so.

smile Bob smile

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7499 04/24/06 06:02 PM
regalhobo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I feel that Pam is right to a point. I don't think that HL should have closed up shop though. I also agree with Daniel in that they could make the LE's in a smaller quantity and I think the LE LLOM is a great idea.

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

:) :cool:
Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7500 04/24/06 06:23 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I didn't start collecting anything at 20-30 years of age. I started Collecting Harbour Lights in my 50's.

I think that's where the 'new collectors' can come from - Baby Boomers taking early retirements among others.

Sure the price of gasoline is going through $3.00. (Still cheaper per gallon than bottled water at Circle-K and 7-11)

Annoying, but those people who own the big SUVs have the money to pay more for gas. They'll complain for a while.

You want to help create a new generation of Harbour Lights collectors? Give a Harbour Lights as a gift to someone in their 40s or 50s.

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7501 04/24/06 07:30 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by JChidester:
I didn't start collecting anything at 20-30 years of age. I started Collecting Harbour Lights in my 50's.

I think that's where the 'new collectors' can come from - Baby Boomers taking early retirements among others.

Sure the price of gasoline is going through $3.00. (Still cheaper per gallon than bottled water at Circle-K and 7-11)

Annoying, but those people who own the big SUVs have the money to pay more for gas. They'll complain for a while.

You want to help create a new generation of Harbour Lights collectors? Give a Harbour Lights as a gift to someone in their 40s or 50s.
I think you may be right, especially about giving one as a gift. It only takes one and your hooked!
HCS

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7502 04/24/06 07:47 PM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
John,

As the age bracket goes, I guess I too, would have to say that I was in my late 40's when I first started buying HL. But I look at at 2 of my children who are approaching 40 in 2 years, and thier friends and folks I work with in thier 40's and 50's and collecting is not thier main concern. They are concerned with mortgages, vehilce payments, college tuition most importantly, and then comes the day to day living with the gas prices, and yes the cost of water, and the uncertainty of the world affairs.
Folks in thier 50's are in the sandwich generation, so along with college tuition, comes caring for thier elderly parents, and then perhaps paying for Long Term Care Ins. for themselves.
There are all sorts of variables out there that would prevent new comers or old collectors from wanting to buy any collectible, just as there probably will always be those that can afford anything they desire.
I cannot anymore, nor do I have the desire, but that's just me.
Maybe HL closing thier doors would be too harsh. For those that can and want to collect stuff, then perhaps Tom's suggestion of the LLOM would be the way for HL to go.

Disclaimer laugh
My point of view is not always someone elses, eek as we all have different lifestyles, beliefs, and activities going on in our lives, but I am just putting an opinion out there that might or might not be shared by others.

P.S. I am in the process of selling my 'big' van...as I can no longer feed it! frown

Pam

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7503 04/24/06 08:50 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I too am a collector of things. I have always been all the way back to my teenage years. There were comics, baseball cards, trains, etc. This was up until I turned 50 and then it was Harbour Lights. I will still collect them as long as the LE are made and marketed through a dealer. I WILL NOT pay the outlandish shipping costs of buying through a catalog. The LLOM don't interest as long as the LE is present. If the LE went away I would give it up altogether. I feel that something must change as the market is not there anymore for the 4000-5000 production of LE. Maybe there is a market for the 1000-2000 range but I even doubt that through dealers. Whatever is going to happen had better happen QUICK or it will be too late. I still say the dealers are on their way out and the HL line will turn into a catalog sale only product. This would be fine for Lighthouses Depot as they could make a 1500-2000 run on a piece and sell it to the diehards through their catalog. The dealers I predict are becoming a thing of the past.

Rich
Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7504 04/24/06 11:45 PM
beachcomber Offline
We've all been through tough times and we've all been in our 40's and 50's and had the same concerns about mortgages, vehicles, getting our kids through college, rising interest and rising prices on everything, etc., etc., but we still collect. And now I'm caring for an elderly parent, but I'm still collecting. I can't afford everything I want (running out of room, too, because of all the collections!).

As far as I am concerned, you are born a collector; perhaps we didn't start collecting lighthouses first, but we collected something. Just look at what Rich said. Look back at your own history. And, yes, collectors are in the minority, but here we are. Everytime I go to a lighthouse event, there are kids there. Obviously, they are interested in collecting. No, there aren't a lot of them but they add up throughout this nation. Look at ALF's Lighthouse Kids and the kids featured in The Legacy.

Daniel is right.
Quote:

beachcomber
Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7505 04/25/06 04:51 PM
regalhobo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Grace:
We've all been through tough times and we've all been in our 40's and 50's and had the same concerns about mortgages, vehicles, getting our kids through college, rising interest and rising prices on everything, etc., etc., but we still collect...
As far as I am concerned, you are born a collector; Everytime I go to a lighthouse event, there are kids there. Obviously, they are interested in collecting. No, there aren't a lot of them but they add up throughout this nation. Look at ALF's Lighthouse Kids and the kids featured in The Legacy.

Daniel is right.
Quote:
I agree and I think we should look on the brighter side of things instead of this doom and gloom. Everyone made a good point but no matter what, "what will be will be" Lets hope its on the upside and that the young'uns take the ball and run with it!!!!

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7506 04/25/06 05:36 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by regalhobo:
Quote:
[b] We've all been through tough times and we've all been in our 40's and 50's and had the same concerns about mortgages, vehicles, getting our kids through college, rising interest and rising prices on everything, etc., etc., but we still collect...
As far as I am concerned, you are born a collector; Everytime I go to a lighthouse event, there are kids there. Obviously, they are interested in collecting. No, there aren't a lot of them but they add up throughout this nation. Look at ALF's Lighthouse Kids and the kids featured in The Legacy.

Daniel is right.
Quote:
I agree and I think we should look on the brighter side of things instead of this doom and gloom. Everyone made a good point but no matter what, "what will be will be" Lets hope its on the upside and that the young'uns take the ball and run with it!!!!

smile cool [/b]
You are absolutely right Tom!
HCS

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7507 04/25/06 09:52 PM
beachcomber Offline
Okay, guys, I am very picky about grammar; so if you are going to quote me, don't mess up my grammar. laugh Thanks, I think! wink wink

beachcomber
Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7508 04/25/06 11:09 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
OK teacher Grace
Tell us what we messed up??
HCS

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7509 04/25/06 11:24 PM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
Quote:
Lets hope its on the upside and that the young'uns take the ball and run with it!!!!
Tom,

What I am working on is the lighthouse trips I take with my grand daughter.... and when she is old enough.... I will explain and show her how important lighthouse preservation is.
Her and I just returned from TX, albeit, no lighthouses this trip, but she is a fantastic traveler for 3 1/2 years old, and she does like our lighthouse trips we have taken. I think my enthusiasm will spill over onto her.
I know it seems a bit young, but she actually is enjoying it!

Pam

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7510 04/26/06 02:16 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I do the same thing Pam. My grandson is now six. We started lighthousing together when he was about three. He actually climbed (was carried) Currituck before he was one but doesn't really remember that - I would think.

I also started his collection of LLOM's several years ago. He calls me his "lighthouse grandma".
When he was in the 'building blocks' stage, we would always build a bridge with a lighthouse and a keeper - his idea.

He asked me not long ago how the keeper lived in the lighthouses that sat out in the middle of water.

Yep, he's well on the way to being an official lighthouser. smile

Judy
Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7511 04/26/06 12:41 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I tried to get my daughter interested in the lights, she's climbed Hatteras, been to Bodie, Assateague and Old Point Comfort. While she thought they were "sorta cool" she has other interests. frown She did give me a pencil drawing that she did of Hatteras though. She used my LLOM as the model. So maybe there's a little hope.... wink

Melody
Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7512 04/26/06 12:48 PM
regalhobo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Pam, my daughter and I did the same thing with Kaitlyn, my granddaughter, when she was around 3. There was one point that she had actually climbed more lighthouses than I did. She made it all the way to the top of Cape May a couple of times before she was 5. Now that Eileen is married and they don't live with me anymore Kaitlyn is always asking "Poppy, when can I go lighthousing with you again." Ergo, I'm sure your that your enthusiam will
Quote:
spill over onto her.
Thats what part this great interest of lighthousing is all about. laugh
smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7513 04/26/06 12:51 PM
regalhobo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Lighthouser:

...Yep, he's well on the way to being an official lighthouser. smile
He sure is Judy and you did a fine job. Congratulations!! laugh

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7514 04/26/06 12:53 PM
regalhobo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by MelJB:
...She did give me a pencil drawing that she did of Hatteras though. She used my LLOM as the model. So maybe there's a little hope.... wink
Melody, there is always hope! smile

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7515 04/27/06 09:48 AM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Okay, guys, I am very picky about grammar; so if you are going to quote me, don't mess up my grammar. laugh Thanks, I think! wink wink
Ok teacher, fill us in what we messed up!

HCS

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7516 04/27/06 08:07 PM
S
Scott F. Offline
S
I have been reading doom and gloom posts here and in many other areas of the Forum. I know that many of you know the new owner, Don, and that he is a collector and member of the Forum. If Don is a member of the Forum and checks in even once in awhile, he has to be aware of all the concerns of the collectors that post. He obviously is not keeping his dealers up to date with anything, including new releases or where they fit into his future plans. I was unaware that Lighthouse Depot required a buyer to purchase $475.00 worth of merchandise to receive free shipping. Why would anyone purchase from them when almost all other dealers only require about $100.00 to be purchased to receive free shipping? From that standpoint, if Don does not do something to support his dealers, his shipping charges will put an end to Harbour Lights once the dealers are gone. I am beginning to wonder if Lighthouse Depot became the number one Harbour Lights dealership because of Don or in spite of him.

Scott

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7517 04/27/06 09:36 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott F.:
I have been reading doom and gloom posts here and in many other areas of the Forum. I know that many of you know the new owner, Don, and that he is a collector and member of the Forum. If Don is a member of the Forum and checks in even once in awhile, he has to be aware of all the concerns of the collectors that post. He obviously is not keeping his dealers up to date with anything, including new releases or where they fit into his future plans. I was unaware that Lighthouse Depot required a buyer to purchase $475.00 worth of merchandise to receive free shipping. Why would anyone purchase from them when almost all other dealers only require about $100.00 to be purchased to receive free shipping? From that standpoint, if Don does not do something to support his dealers, his shipping charges will put an end to Harbour Lights once the dealers are gone. I am beginning to wonder if Lighthouse Depot became the number one Harbour Lights dealership because of Don or in spite of him.

Scott
Scott,
It is not only the shipping that Lighthouse Depot seems to be sticking the consumer with. The event piece 'El Morro' is listed on the Harbour Lights site for $75.00. Lighthouse Depot lists it for $76.95 - why a higher price?
And you probabley read the whole saga about the little lights being at the higher price already at Lighthouse Depot. They really are just out to make a buck!
HCS

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7518 04/27/06 10:47 PM
S
Scott F. Offline
S
I am unfamiliar with the LLOM price difference or the event piece EL Morro being sold for more than MSRP. It is their right to sell Harbour Lights items for any price they desire, but I feel they are sending the wrong signal. I have gone to their website many times in the past, and if I remember correctly, they always sold the lighthouses for a nickel less than the MSRP. If they are now selling Harbour Lights for more than the MSRP, is this a glimpse into the future? Are they trying to corner the market by driving away the dealers and then sell the lighthouses for whatever they desire? That would be the kiss of death. I doubt that any collector would ever forgive Lighthouse Depot or ever purchase another lighthouse from them. Say it isn't so!

Scott

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7519 04/28/06 01:08 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Perhaps it is a typo (price for El Marro).

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7520 04/28/06 01:37 AM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by ericlighthouse:
I doubt it as 'El Morro' is listed in the latest catalouge and on the web site for the same $76.95.
HCS

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7521 04/28/06 10:33 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Maybe a better term than typo would be- maybe it's a mistake on the part of the person inputting the prices. As one person pointed out usually the items are priced 5 cents below the MSRP.

Nobody's perfect after all- has anybody called them and pointed out the discrepency?

For that matter of all the people- including me- ever actually complained to or asked Lighthouse Depot about their shipping policy and specifically about why they felt it was needed to raise the prices immediately on all of their stock of LLOM?

I haven't done this and I - or somebody else- should do this so we can discuss this issue with all sides represented fairly.

Dennis

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7522 04/28/06 10:48 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Usually LHD prices their pieces a nickel under what H.L. lists as retail. I wonder if it's not supposed to be $74.95

Mike

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7523 04/28/06 11:17 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
You all really need to give the new owner of Harbour Lights a chance to complete the transition and settle in at the "helm". It is good that people address their concerns so HL will know how their customers feel about certain business practices.

We should never lose sight of the fact that our group of connected collectors here is small when compared to the amount of customers that also buy HL's. It is nice that we are able to speak up about our concerns, and have those concerns addressed here at the CF.

I say let Harbour Lights do what they have to do to succeed. I do not want them to disappear. If they need to charge more to support their own retail outlet, so be it. You can always get your HL's from other dealers who may be offering an incentive to get your business. It is my understanding that various dealers don't charge for shipping and if you are out-of-state there is no sales tax.

smile Bob smile

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7524 04/28/06 05:41 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by wheland:
Quote:
[b] Perhaps it is a typo (price for El Marro).
Maybe a better term than typo would be- maybe it's a mistake on the part of the person inputting the prices. As one person pointed out usually the items are priced 5 cents below the MSRP.

Nobody's perfect after all- has anybody called them and pointed out the discrepency?

For that matter of all the people- including me- ever actually complained to or asked Lighthouse Depot about their shipping policy and specifically about why they felt it was needed to raise the prices immediately on all of their stock of LLOM?

I haven't done this and I - or somebody else- should do this so we can discuss this issue with all sides represented fairly.

Dennis [/b]
Took your suggestion Dennis and called Lighthouse Depot. Spoke to Sandy who was surprized they listed El Morro for more the Harbour Lights. She had me hold on and spoke to her supervisor Patty, who said it should be $74.95 and they would look into getting the price fixed. Should I want to order it I could have it for $74.95. So anyone who wants to order from Lighthouse Depot should mention that the price in the catalouge and on the web site is incorrect!
HCS

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7525 04/28/06 05:57 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Quote:

Dennis [/b]
Catalouge and store two different locations. Spoke to BJ at the store and all the little lights are at the higher price. When I purchase a little light in March at the store it had a pricce sticker on it. So I asked BJ if someone physically changed all the prices, her reply was yes mam we had to physically change all the prices on every box! I then said that as that was old stock it should be sold at the lower price. BJ told me she did not set the prices - guess she only works there!
HCS

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7526 04/28/06 06:31 PM
catzb1 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
How long are we supposed to give the new owner to settle in? 6 months...a year? I am not a patient person, maybe all of you are. But if the new owner is a member of the CF, he has to be reading our concerns. Can't he jump in and let us in on what we can expect?

confused Cathy confused

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7527 04/28/06 06:46 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by HCS:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:

Dennis [/b]
Took your suggestion Dennis and called Lighthouse Depot. Spoke to Sandy who was surprized they listed El Morro for more the Harbour Lights. She had me hold on and spoke to her supervisor Patty, who said it should be $74.95 and they would look into getting the price fixed. Should I want to order it I could have it for $74.95. So anyone who wants to order from Lighthouse Depot should mention that the price in the catalouge and on the web site is incorrect!
HCS [/b]
Well it looks like this one was a simple error that when mentioned got the proper response.

I'm sure it will be corrected on the website quickly and the next catalogue will be fixed as well.

Thanks for checking that out- I've been out all day helping my sister look at houses and at the same time assist my daughter Beth in getting ready to go to Qatar.

She was just offered an opportunity to go there for her job on Tuesday and the limo just left to take her to the airport a few minutes ago.

I was going to call later or tomorrow.

Dennis

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7528 04/28/06 06:51 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:

Dennis [/qb]
Catalouge and store two different locations. Spoke to BJ at the store and all the little lights are at the higher price. When I purchase a little light in March at the store it had a pricce sticker on it. So I asked BJ if someone physically changed all the prices, her reply was yes mam we had to physically change all the prices on every box! I then said that as that was old stock it should be sold at the lower price. BJ told me she did not set the prices - guess she only works there!
HCS [/QB][/QUOTE]

Glad you got some answer on this as well- sorry it wasn't the one you wanted, though.

I know this will not sit well with some but I still feel that especially for a place the size Lighthouse Depot that does so much of it's business mail order and internet but probably has one item number for both those outlets as well as for in store sales it's actually more cost effective and less problematic to physically change the few items in the store that have stickers on them than try and have two prices for the same item.

I personally don't think it's greed on their part at all- and no I don't want to purchase some nice bridge you might have to sell. laugh

Dennis

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7529 04/28/06 06:56 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by catzb1:
How long are we supposed to give the new owner to settle in? 6 months...a year? I am not a patient person, maybe all of you are. But if the new owner is a member of the CF, he has to be reading our concerns. Can't he jump in and let us in on what we can expect?

confused Cathy confused
I'm at a loss as to why any of us would expect a business person to let us in on their plans.

Would it be nice- sure but I think it's a bit presumptuous of us to feel that Don should have to check in here with us about every thing they plan on doing or are doing.

We did not get all that info from the Younger Family and we shouldn't expect it from the new owners.

I agree that it's good business to keep your customers informed as much as possible and I'd like to know what the plans are as well but we need to stop feeling an entitlment to this information here.

As Bob points out as connected as we are here we are just a small part of the whole picture.

Just my opinion and not intended to be pointed at any individual- even though I did quote Cathy's post.

Dennis

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7530 04/28/06 09:28 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Quote:

Dennis
HCS [/QB]
Glad you got some answer on this as well- sorry it wasn't the one you wanted, though.
I know this will not sit well with some but I still feel that especially for a place the size Lighthouse Depot that does so much of it's business mail order and internet but probably has one item number for both those outlets as well as for in store sales it's actually more cost effective and less problematic to physically change the few items in the store that have stickers on them than try and have two prices for the same item.

I personally don't think it's greed on their part at all- and no I don't want to purchase some nice bridge you might have to sell. laugh

Dennis [/QB][/QUOTE]

Yes, we win some and we loose some.
That life! I won't be loosing any sleep over it!
HCS

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7531 04/29/06 01:12 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I am going to offer a suggestion here that may or may not help depending on just how serious you are to have your questions answered.

I had a lot of questions and doubts concerning Harbour Lights as you all know from reading my posts concerning dealers, prices, etc. I emailed Tony Constantino and flat asked him about my concerns on Wednesday evening. By Thursday morning he had emailed me back addressing all my concerns. What was contained in that email put 95% of my concerns to rest. The remaining 5% Tony has no control over depending on the outcome of the world situation.

Now, if you have your concerns like I did, then email Tony at "tconstantino@harbourlights.com" and let him put your minds at rest. I am committed to continuing to collect limited editions after reading his reply until I either run out of money or space. I think the space thing will happen before the money thing though.

Rich
Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7532 04/29/06 03:16 AM
beachcomber Offline
This sounds like a much more constructive way of dealing with our concerns. I said earlier that complaining just makes everyone get upset. Do something about the problems over which you have some control and try not to fret too much about those things over which you have none. I am emailing Tony. Thanks, Rich!

beachcomber
Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7533 04/29/06 03:16 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hey Rich - you now know that Tony is a regular reader of the CF. And I suspect you're just sucking up knowing he's gonna read that last post of yours, too.

Just kidding!

If you want the information or you want your concerns addressed and questions answered, then ask. And Tony is a good one to ask, for sure. He comes to Harbour Lights with 25 years experience in the collectible and gift business associated with some of the big name companies including Disney, MI Hummel, Anri, and more.

You'll see a new column in the upcoming Legacy from Tony.

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7534 04/29/06 11:23 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Hi Cathy, ...One would think that a business such as Harbour Lights would be planning ahead by about 18-24 months. Now we factor in new ownership with a company move from the west coast to the east coast and a reasonable transition period may be as long as two years.

Prices will go up. Harbour Lights is a business and they must turn a profit to survive.

There is concern about why a person should pay more for something that was on the store shelf for a couple of bucks less the day before. That's the cost of doing business, and that cost goes up for the businesses just like it goes up for the consumer.

The sad part is some people/collectors may fall by the wayside because their budgets cannot handle all the increases thrown at them.

How much more does everyone pay for food, clothing, and shelter nowadays? How much more do you pay for transportation? At the rate the prices of all the basics are going up, it makes you wonder how much expendable cash there will be left to buy things like collectibles.

I guess the bottom line is do what you can afford to do and hope for the best in the future. I encourage everyone to speak their mind when it comes to Harbour Lights and hope that our concerns will be addressed.

Harbour Lights needs a good size group of core collectors to insure success. If you are reading this you are probably a connected collector. Whatever your level of purchases are, you are not a flash in the pan. You are now, or will be a repeat customer in the future. You are an educated consumer and Harbour Lights would like you to be around for a long time.

smile Bob smile

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7535 04/29/06 11:31 AM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
This sounds like a much more constructive way of dealing with our concerns. I said earlier that complaining just makes everyone get upset. Do something about the problems over which you have some control and try not to fret too much about those things over which you have none. I am emailing Tony. Thanks, Rich!
Grace,
You are 100% right.
As you can see by previous posts, I opened my mouth and did as Dennis had suggested, asked!
I was satisfied with the answers.
Looking at the big picture, this is small stuff in a world full of much bigger issues.
When life gives you lemons, you have to make lemonade with a smile on your face!
HCS

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7536 04/29/06 11:50 AM
catzb1 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Hi Bob,

Okay..now I have a little more understanding of how long this might take.

Hi Dennis,
I wasn't asking for a peek at his business plan. I just wanted some news to keep everyone excited. A little tidbit to give us all some hope for the future. I didn't think I was asking for too much. I don't feel "entitled" to all the information, just a little ray of hope because we are all "invested" in this company!

Cathy

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7537 04/29/06 04:50 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by catzb1:

Hi Dennis,
I wasn't asking for a peek at his business plan. I just wanted some news to keep everyone excited. A little tidbit to give us all some hope for the future. I didn't think I was asking for too much. I don't feel "entitled" to all the information, just a little ray of hope because we are all "invested" in this company!

Cathy
Cathy,

I understand. That's why I added to my post saying it wasn't directly pointed at your post- just that your's was useful to respond to.

Many of the complaints seemed to fall into the category of thinking we should be privy to privleged info because we have the idea that we are a privlieged lot here.

We are privy to much that others don't get to know about a company they may purchase something from- especially a company that is not a public held corporation.

I do take exception to your use of the term "invested" in the company. If you were truly an investor you'd ahve concrete rights that we all don't have simply by being a customer who has "invested" in the wares of this company.

We tend to forget that we are basically customers of a commodity because we don't look at them as such.

Just my point of view- and again I'm not attacking anyone for thiers or trying to single out an individual person.

Dennis

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7538 04/29/06 09:18 PM
beachcomber Offline
Normally, we are privy to a great deal of information about HL because of the forums. If you talk to a collector who does not participate here, you find that he/she knows relatively little about what goes on in HL. We are very fortunate to have this venue.

Right on, Hilari! laugh

beachcomber
Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7539 04/29/06 09:51 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Normally, we are privy to a great deal of information about HL because of the forums. If you talk to a collector who does not participate here, you find that he/she knows relatively little about what goes on in HL. We are very fortunate to have this venue.

Right on, Hilari! laugh
Yep. Remember those early days of collecting before the Forums, before HarbourLights.com when your news came four times a year in a mailing from Harbour Lights that you consumed voraciously?

(Oh, no, I've started another 'bring back the mailed Legacy' thread!)

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7540 04/29/06 11:55 PM
beachcomber Offline
Yes, pleeeeease, bring it back. wink

beachcomber
Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7541 05/01/06 08:30 PM
T
The Bronze Lady Orlando Offline
T
Good Afternoon - I've just read thru all of these posts. I know less about the future of Harbour Lights than most of you because it's one of 50 plus lines I carry. I'd be crazy to tell you I'm one of you. This is a business for me.

I've had numerous dealings with the new company in the past two months and will tell you that they are working hard and addressing every concern I have in a speedy and professional manner. As a staunch supporter of HL myself, I have no ulterior motive in saying this. I just know that I'm already making friends with the new staff there - just as I enjoyed frindships with the CA staff for 8 or so years. Of course there'll be gliches but don't take them personal. Go with the flow. We all make mistakes in a new venture. It's how we learn.

As for dwindling dealers and the future of HL? You, the consumer will determine that. Not Lighthouse Depot or their conglomerate. Each of you expect to turn a profit in your profession and collectible dealers would love to do the same. I would guess that very few have in the last several years. We're all in the cheering section for those wanting to start taxing ebay sales.

There are a lot of reasons dealers are disappearing. Little of it has to do with the actual product.

All said - to keep in the spirit of this thread, I'm completely satisfied with everything I've seen so far. Will the new lights be the right ones? Don't know. Will the edition sizes be right? Can't really say. But if you make them too small, the price has to go way up to cover production.

All I can say is, as a consumer, to do your part, make sure you're supporting an authorized dealer of HL. That in itself makes you part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Terry The Bronze Lady of orlando www.bronzelady.com

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7542 05/01/06 10:03 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Thank you for your informative post, Terry. It's nice to hear some positive comments about the future of Harbour Lights under new management.

smile Bob smile

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7543 05/01/06 11:24 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Terry,

Always glad to hear another point of view. You don't post often but you are up front with you comments.

I'll agree that the consumer who goes to unauthorized places to purchase at a discount is part of the problem- but if the dealers were not dishonoring thier contract the consumer wouldn't have anything to buy there except for items that have every right to be there- like ones a person no longer wants.

Dealer dumping is at least as large a part of the problem- not saying that you do it. just saying that there are many who do- of course in some cases it's the only way they can salvage some profit.

It's the old conundrum- which came first the chicken or the egg or the dog chasing it's tail.

Dennis

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7544 05/01/06 11:35 PM
beachcomber Offline
As I said I would, I sent my concerns to Tony and he responded very promptly. Obviously, Tony considered my concerns very carefully. I am very satisfied with his reply which was very positive, albeit realistic. (As we all have to be.) smile

beachcomber
Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7545 05/01/06 11:54 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Terry,
Thanks for the positive imput.
HCS

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7546 05/02/06 03:04 PM
regalhobo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks Terry. Its good to hear the positive side of things.

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7547 05/03/06 04:53 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Tony Constantino, Harbour Lights' Director of Sales & Marketing, is a regular reader of the Collector Forums and urges reps and dealers to read the Forums.

He has prepared a response to address some of the concerns expressed in this thread and another and I have posted it as an Adobe Acrobat File.

Click Here To Read

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7548 05/03/06 05:11 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by JChidester:
Tony Constantino, Harbour Lights' Director of Sales & Marketing, is a regular reader of the Collector Forums and urges reps and dealers to read the Forums.

He has prepared a response to address some of the concerns expressed in this thread and another and I have posted it as an Adobe Acrobat File.

Click Here To Read
Good to hear our thoughts are not going unnoticed or unread. Thanks for the follow-up.
HCS

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7549 05/03/06 05:46 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I just read Tony's letter at the link above. It is good to know, and hear, that he visits the CF and listens to a good sampling of what most collectors are concerned about. This is a giant step in winning the confidence of the faithful collectors who frequent this forum. I'm looking forward to further input from Tony in the future.

smile Bob smile

Re: Sale of Harbour Lights to Lighthouse Marketing, LTD #7550 05/03/06 07:45 PM
regalhobo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Glad to hear your aboard and listening Tony. Thanks for the update and I'm sure we
we'll be waiting "with open arms/wallets pocketbooks/piggy banks."

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 792 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users