Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74479 02/11/99 12:34 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I got to wondering the other day about how representative of Harbour Lights collectors we on-line people are?

Would you figure that anybody who was a true WACKO would be connected the the Internet (after all, there is the www.HarbourLights.com site).

Can the number of WACKOs (connected or not) be less than 25? less than 200? What's your guess?

John

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74480 02/11/99 12:48 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Am not quite getting the question, John. Are we all supposed to report in and then you count us up? Is there a true answer, like guess the number of jelly beans in the jar? Anyway, last Christmas Eve I had 0 Hl's and now I have 15, plus 2 on hold and 2 on order so guess I'm one of those beans??? Seems that the Super-Wackos are stuck down in the Fog Signal forum debating the what's going on in 1999 question. It all gets a bit much for me after a while. I really can't worry too much about it, just trying to enjoy the lights that I have.

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74481 02/11/99 01:02 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
As soon as the Senate figures out Clinton's definition of the word "is" is, they might give us the definition of "wacko". Since there is no specific criteria for being a member of this elite group, it would be hard to specify exactly the true count of "wackos." I have personally registered the name Bob Wacko,but haven't used it. Of course, we probably have a lot of "closet wackos" and "silent wackos" out there. My guess on the number of "hardcore-official wackos" (over 100 HLs in their collections, at most every chat, over 100 posts on the Forum type wackos) would be around 30, plus or minus a couple of "loose-screws", or should I refer to them as missing a few marbles....even better maybe reality-challenged. No matter how you categorize these folks, they are all really nice people!

That's the word from the East Coast where it's clear and 34 degrees.

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74482 02/11/99 01:13 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I wasn't taking a poll or trying to actually count how many WACKOs there are out there.

The big question for me is:

Are there WACKOs for Harbour Lights out there who aren't visiting the Internet?

Or would you expect that anyone who is SO committed to the collection that they would have found the Internet sites by now?

Philosphical question.

I guess underlying my question is my experience. I started collecting in August 1996. Shortly after I discovered the Lighthouse Collectibles board on AOL. Got a chance to chat with others, post and reply, etc. Through that I found there were MANY collectors out there and my collection took off.

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74483 02/11/99 01:59 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
1) To be an "official" Wacko you have to be registered (maybe certified is better?).

2) Anyone seriously collecting HL's should have found us by now.

[Quote}Got a chance to chat with others, post and reply, etc. Through that I found there were MANY collectors out there and my collection took off.[Quote}

Participating in forums, chats makes us Wackier? Certainly does! Doubt I would have as many HL's as I do if I hadn't discovered them. Quite a nice marketing tool for HL!

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74484 02/11/99 02:33 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Ever the demographer, you pose an interesting question. I think it would also be interesting to know the average age and income of the genus WackoLigthouseous. Age tends to bring out interests in things historical. And the price of one of these little puppies could probably feed a family in Madagascar for a couple months. No doubt HL has a pretty good idea on this data.

At least 200 million on-line by Y2K.

Based on exposure to a large group of Wackos, sub-Wackos, proto-Wackos, latent-Wackos, and Wacko-wannabes at the two Reunions, it would not surprise me in the least if there are more Wackos who are not regular participants in these fora than who are. Most folks sufficiently well-to-do to collect plaster lighthouse models are smart enough to have better things to do with their time. (vbg). Ancient Mariners may have more time on their hands but are less likely to be on line. (I continually marvel at my Dad who at 76 just bought a new computer and was tickled to find his son in the photo gallery).

It also wouldn't surprise me to learn that at least 65%-75% of HL collectors have a computer and that 96.4% of them own a microwave oven. And half of these have a VCR that is set at 00:00 with at least 60% of *these* on AOL. (g,d&r)

Sure there's lotsa Wacko's out there who aren't visiting the Internet. Many more who are on the Net but do not visit here.

Only they know what we are missing. :-)

Rgds,
__
/im (Archetypic On-Line phenotype of the Wacko genotype)

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 02-10-99).]

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74485 02/11/99 10:52 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Click!

WackoPaul

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74486 02/11/99 12:14 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
If you are NOT a Harbour Lights collector and do NOT have a computer, do NOT click here:

George [Galloping into the sunset]

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74487 02/11/99 01:02 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Wacko? Who, me?

People can claim they are wacko's, but are they really? What constitutes being a wacko?

I agree with Tim. I think there are many more out there that we haven't heard from.

-Todd

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74488 02/11/99 02:34 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
"I am not a WACHO"
I guess therefore I am.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74489 02/11/99 02:52 PM
LamarB Offline
Yea, Bob. DeNile is NOT just a river in Egypt.

I'm not a wacko, either. It just seems that way. But I'm not. Really I'm not. I don't care what everyone else says. Even my sweet loving wife thinks I'm a wacko, but she's wrong. I'm not. Really I'm not...

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74490 02/11/99 09:46 PM
Rich Offline
With the number of society members registered, I believe there are quite a few "recreational" and serious collectors in the world. I would think, however, that if you are a wacko, you are somehow connected to the internet/Harbourlights.com/this forum. Either directly (yourself) or indirectly (through others).

I know that I was just a casual collector until I found this forum (pre-HarbourLights.com) Now I check it out 2-3 times a day and plan my travels around H/L's dealer's list and lighthouse locations.

Although there are many very active members of this forum, I am sure there are substantially larger numbers that just read and are not interacting (but hopefully will).

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74491 02/12/99 01:07 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
In looking at the club listings on the Harbour Lights page, my guess that a fair number of collectors don't have Internet access. I'm basing this very unscientific poll on the number of clubs that don't have an e-mail address to contact.

I believe that if you collect Harbour Lights and are wired (for the Web) you are HERE. (Where else would you want to be?)

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74492 02/12/99 07:46 PM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
It is very difficult to be a "wacko" when you're talking to yourself. Remember I said "wacko" not " psycho" ( although some of us are both). I seriously doubt that there are any non-internet wackos. We all needed this sounding board to get started (then there is no stopping us). How many new collectors out there were just drifting along 'til they found this board - and suddenly bam - white water rafting. Hang on, there's a beaver dam coming up (or is that damn beaver?).

From the SF Bay area when the temp hasn't broken 60 more than a couple of times since Christmas. Mid to high fifties daily, Bob.

Fred.

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74493 02/13/99 02:46 AM
Art Offline
Righty-O, Fred. I was lost out there. Aimlessly wandering about. A Cape May here, a LaJument there, then WHAM! lighthousekeepers.com, then Wackoholism! Clear cause and effect relationship.

From the mid-south, where today is the first day in a long time that the temp has gone below 60 degrees (and I like it 'cause it's better than tornados!)

-Art

-Art
Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74494 02/13/99 03:50 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
>>then WHAM! lighthousekeepers.com, then Wackoholism! Clear cause and effect relationship.<<

Cause and Effect is a myth.

Rgds,
David Hume (Hey John, we got liability insurance to cover these cases?)

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74495 02/13/99 03:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Since you asked, I did some dime store research.

I figure that anyone who would spend their time and money to travel to the Harbour lights reunion is a "wacko" to some degree.
I opened my handy reunion "Lightkeepers directory" and did some counting. The list of people who wanted to be included in the directory has 376 household's listed listing a total of 649 people and of those 376 households listed 187 of them do not list an e-mail address. So if you use those numbers as "known wacko's" then around 50% of the households in the reunion directory are not connected to the internet.
I am going to guess a margin of error to be under 10% one way or the other.

I also figure Tim will further digest these numbers and make some projections as to wether or not the childern who attended the reunion will one day inheirt a parents collection and sell it or continue the family tradition of collecting Harbour lights.

From KPM Pete Marginal,
Mark

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74496 02/13/99 01:39 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Good work, Mark...

I think you're right. Not all WACKOs are connected. Now we should have a deal from Harbour Lights. If you buy one of everything they make in 1999, you'll get a free computer to use at home! That would get the remaining ones connected!

Mudd

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74497 02/16/99 01:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This particular WACKO thinks that the following best describes what the word WACKO really means.
Wise
Acquistioner of
Collectibles
Knowingly
Overindulging. !

and I do on a regular basis.
Derith

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74498 02/16/99 01:13 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Way to go, Derith!!!

Wacko John

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74499 02/16/99 02:45 AM
Art Offline
Gee Derith, that almost sounds noble!

Not that I minded being known as wacko when it was just goofy...

-Sir Arthur

-Art
Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74500 09/27/99 03:46 AM
LADYBUG Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
after doing a search of post for the last year, I think I can answer the question of How Many WACKOS Are Out There? by my calculations there are 61 members listed as WACKO; 11 members listed as CRUISE DIRECTOR and 5 members listed as SAINT

this was a fun search and I am glad I took on the job for ladylightkeeper; ran across some very interesting old threads and learned some new things about some people who post here on a fairly regular basis; saw some great photos too -- even found one of me in the group picture at Stonington during the 1998 reunion

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74501 09/27/99 02:18 PM
B
Bob Steinbrunn Offline
B
I'm not certain that my journey to wackodom is sterotypical or not, but just for the record, here 'tis:

Being a model ship builder I receive countless catalogs pertaining to the hobby, some peripherally, and the one from The Lighthouse Depot was an annual regular.

I was surprised that a business concern could survive by dealing only in lighthouse ephemera, and was only dimly aware of Harbour Lights. I mean, I thought they were cute, but with the vast sea of lighthouse sculptures in the catalog, after a while they all looked the same.

Several years went by, and then my wife graduated from a gruelling 4 year medical school/6 year surgical residency program. As a small but thoughtful graduation present, I decided to do something which would fill her mind with pleasant memories of quieter and more relaxing times.

We had always treasured our vacations in Door County, Wisconsin, and I thought the gift of a Door County lighthouse on a shelf in her office, with a notebook filled with HL materials, catalogs, and stuff downloaded from the Web pertaining to the lights there, might make her smile during stressful times.

And so I called my local collectible dealer, found out he dealt in HL and had a large inventory, and, in fact, had the Sturgeon Bay Canal Light on his shelf.

That was just what I was looking for, so I made the short trip (4 blocks) to his store, and made the much longer journey ($$$$) to this point.

I started last June (1999), and now here I am, staring at no fewer than 26 Harbour Lights sculptures in my display case and about 22 lighthouse-related books on the shelf.

It took me no time at all to find HL's Web site once I became interested, and found this forum immediately afterwards.

It has been really a gas and I haven't looked back once!

And yes, while my wife is not aware of this forum or the means of ranking its members, she truly knows in her heart that, indeed, I am a wacko.

------------------
Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild

Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild
Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74502 09/27/99 10:46 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Bob, it sounds like not only are you a wacko, but I think you're also a saint.

Joanne

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74503 09/28/99 02:45 AM
Gary Toth Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Humbly submitted - The WACKOS Creed

We Are Catalystic Kindred Optimistic Souls
Who Avow Certain Knowing Offerings
Which Assuage Conflicting Kinetic Obfuscations
While Advocating Congenial, Kidding Opinions
and
When Arguments Condemn Kindly Opponents
Wackos Abate Conflicts, Advance Contentment, and Administer Chuckles, Keeping Others Serene, Sedate, & Self-Satisfied.

Wacko Wannabee

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74504 09/28/99 03:04 AM
R
Richard W Offline
R
Click, Me too.

Richard Weaver
One of the Smoky Mtn. Flame Keepers

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74505 09/28/99 04:02 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We have been surprised how many serious HL collectors (most with large collections or striving for large collections) we have met at signing events who have never experienced the Forum or the webpage. Most were due to the fact they are not on line. Last year, we met three folks in Anapolis at a signing who didn't even know about the webpage. Some were on line, but still in learning stages on a computer and didn't know how to get here. I would guess that at 4 signing events in the past two years, we have probably met a good dozen folks who had never visited the Forum or the webpage (can't remember what it was called before) and we weren't even taking a poll (guess we like to talk a lot).

We would guess that there are quite a few unregistered wackos out there, due to this experience.

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74506 09/28/99 11:38 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
We're
Acquisitive
Crazy
Keepers
On-line

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74507 10/05/99 12:09 AM
B
Barb Kepple Offline
B
A click for me as well!

I had only a Pemaquid Point HL, purchased at a shop after a great trip to Maine, with no knowledge of the line at all. That was in February or March of 1996. Shortly after that my husband found the AOL Lighthouse Page and then John's web page (when did you start that, John?). That got the ball rolling, and collecting Harbour Lights and trying to find retired pieces at retail became a passion!
I am more a reader than a poster - but I do want to reach Wackodom. All you "Wackos" have such a great time together who wouldn't aspire to become one?!

Barb

Barb
Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74508 10/05/99 01:25 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Just 36 to go Barb...

... The "Harbour Lights Collectors Information Center" was started in Feb 97.

I still have some of the pages - I'll have to put them up for those who've not seen any of that site.

Some day (but not soon.)

0 :>) St. John of the Internet

Re: Wondering How Many WACKOs Are Out There?? #74509 10/07/99 12:04 AM
B
Barb Kepple Offline
B
John - I was amazed the Harbour Lights Collectors Information Center started in February of '97 - I would have sworn it was earlier! Time flies when you're having fun!
It would be great to see some of those early pages - back before you'd become St. John!!

Barb

Barb

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users