Print Thread
How many HL releases to date? #74174 12/04/98 10:09 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
R
For those eccentrics with curiosity, this is the total count of HL sculptures shipped by 08/15/02. Prices in green are the original suggested retail price of each item:

Step #1: Main Catalog
Does *not* count any mold, flag or color variations as extras. Does not count CH#2, Assateague#2, Barnegut/ Boston/ PH/ SE Block GLOW#2, etc. either as extras. The "straight" total count. Since spyglass lights are only sold in sets (not individually) I only counted the 3 sets vs 18 total. Ornaments can be sold separately, so I counted them separately. Thumbnails could be sold (secondary) or handed out separately too, and with individual HL #'s they are counted individually.

Limiteds: 179 ($13,038)
Special Limiteds: 3 (Liberty, Eddystone, St. Helena) ($303)
GLOWs: 37 ($2220)
Signature Series GLOWS: 3 (Thomas Pt., Tybee, Coquille) ($210)
Lifesaving Stations: 1 ($79)
Fresnel Lenses: 4 ($352)
Society Fullsize: 8 ($679)
Society Gift Sculptures (excluding spyglass): 6 (FREE)
Society Ornaments: 7 ($105)
Society Minis (Pt. Fermin): 2 ($58)
Christmas Full Size: 7 ($535)
Christmas Ornaments: 28 ($420)
Reunion Full Size (attendee): 3 ($210)
Reunion Full Size (society): 2 ($150)
Reunion Minis: 4 (FREE)
Event Exclusives: 6 ($299)
Regional Exclusives: 5 (all 4 Fort Tompkins counted) ($236)
Legacy Lights/ Beckoning Beacons: 4 ($200)
Spyglass Sets: 3 (including society version) ($166)
Keepers & Friends Set: 1 ($84)
Boston Figurines Set: 1 ($29)
Men of the USLSS Set: 1 ($60)
Lobster Float Sets: 2 ($10)
Thumbnails: 13 (FREE)
Bob Younger Memorial Tree: 1 ($10)
Bill Younger doll: 1 ($10)
TOTAL= 332 ($19,463)

Step #2: Complete Re-molds
With same HL number as original. AKA: 'Revised' molds. Add in Cape Hatteras#2, Assateague#2, Barnegut GLOW#2, Boston GLOW#2, SE Block Island GLOW#2, Portland Head GLOW#2, and Cape Hatteras GLOW#2 ($385)
Add in 7 more
TOTAL=339
($19,848)

Step #3: Paint Variations
Add in green water Michigan City, NLL, Barnegat & Minots Ledge (counted all 4 extra Minots Ledge paint variations), Round Island "brown" version, Beavertail "tan" version, St. Augustine "red roof" version, Cape Meares "blue roof" Chinese version, Cape Hatteras (102R) "wrong painted stripes" version, and (2) Mini Pt Fermin "Charter" boat color variations (3 colors available, one is already included in Step #1 above). ($843)
Add in 14 more
TOTAL=353
($20,691)

Step #4: Mold Modifications
Add in Great Captain "tower date" variation, Highland without "s" flag, Mislabeled Burrows Island "Oregon" flag, Mislabeled Split Rock "Michigan" flag, Mislabeled Cove Island flag (edition size), Misspelled Boston "Harbour" GLOW flag, Misspelled Mukilteo flag (Only 2 extra versions counted; "Mulkilteo" misspelled version, and "Muukilteo" misspelled version), Misspelled "Ape" Hatteras Beacon flag, and Correct spelled "Admiralty" Head flag. ($555)
Add in 10 more
TOTAL=363
($21,246)

Step #5: Production & Assembly Variations
Add in Scituate and Concord open metal railing production variations, (3) different Grays Harbor assembly variations (7 possible variations, but only 3 discovered so far to date assumed), Hudson-Athens continuous railing production variation, 7 Foot Knoll "mast height" production variation, Big Bay lantern room variation, and Old Michigan City "missing rail" production variation. ($700)
Add in 9 more
TOTAL=372
($21,946)

Step #6: Lightning Rods
Add in each piece with a lightning rod for those who collect both "one with a rod and one without" (many actually do this). Since all of the CH#1, CH#2, and Coquille pieces; plus the special Green water Michigan & NLL, mislabeled Split Rock & Burrows versions automatically had rods and counted above, they are not counted a second time here. Only counted the same versions of lights that have rods on some, and no rods on others (which have not been counted yet). I am not counting the different combinations of Californian vs Canadian vs Malaysian vs Chinese.....too complicated & not that realistic for most collections. 23 extra pieces would then be added with rods if you wanted one specific version with a rod and one without in the collection. ($1441)
Add in 23 more
TOTAL=395
($23,387)

Step #7: Other Variations & Special Pieces
Add in Cape Hatteras GLOW with "Great American Lighthouse" sticker, Tybee GLOW with 're-lighting event' sticker, Sapelo Island with 're-lighting event' sticker, Old St. Augustine with 'St. Augustine event' sticker, American Shoal with blue felt, 5th order Fresnel with "clear" glass, (5) "Pharos collection" pieces from the UK, no computed prices added for the following pieces: Bill Younger "pirate" doll, rare Point Vicente AP, rare Montauk GLOW mold#1 AP, rare Kilauea mold#1 AP, rare Old Field Point with "metal tree" AP, rare Macquarie "full station" paint master, rare "unpainted" Coquille River AP, rare "unpainted" Burrows Island AP, rare "unpainted" American Shoal AP, (5) "unpainted" ornaments from '97 & '01 Reunions, '98 & 01' Reunion badges (since they have their own HL numbers), "gold plated" Cape St. George regional giveaway, "gold plated" spring and summer Fort Tompkins regional giveaways, "gold plated" Mark Twain (tower only) event giveaway, "gold plated" Eddystone sculpture, and the "silver plated" Stonington sculpture. ($772)
Add in 32 more
TOTAL=427
($24,159)

That's far enough....still did not even bring up:
*The "Original 17" w/ the "rough" windows and specs from California before the minor Malaysian mold modifications (MMMM)
*The Limiteds that were originally GLOWS with different HL stickers on the bottom and an "A" in the serial number
*GLOWS missing the "A" in the serial number
*Rare "B" series Great Lakes stamp sets
*Certificate of Authenticity mistakes or variations
*Artist Proofs, Counter Samples & Paint sample proofs, etc.
*The Bill Younger "statue" or "rare metal tree" pieces from the '98 reunion
*'Little Lights' and 'Anchor Bay' collections or the Lighthouse Depot 'exclusive'
*Having every piece signed in the collection (The P.Brady Factor)
*Matching serial number collections, low serial number collections, or missing serial numbers, etc.
*Having the *original* brown or white boxes where applicable
...yadda, yadda, yadda.

Lets not forget a very long list of collectible ancillary items including (to name a few): 26 brochures, 13 standard buttons (including Anchor Bay), 13 Regional event buttons, Pt. Fermin anniversary button, Rose Island and Hooper Strait reunion buttons, (plus a continually growing list of "unofficial" buttons, pins, and nametags, etc.), 8 calendars, 5 pocket planners, 3 bookmarks, old rare t-shirts, Christmas cards, The HL watch, auctioned bus & dispay signs, Mark Sherman paintings, prints, & notecards, rare Scituate & Thomas Point postcards, Grosse Point Cup holder, Atlanta/ Rosemont coin, Reunion '01 wind sock and plush bear, Old advertising slicks, and a huge list of old, rare, one-of-a-kind, or widely available "stuff" like many newer postcards, t-shirts, coasters, etc, etc, etc. Maybe a future detailed list of the ancillary items should be made.

Lastly, lets not forget the *extremely rare* open edition versions of the first 6 Anchor Bay ships to really confuse everyone! WOW

This info may help in evaluating the ever important question...
What is a complete collection?
from 179 'standard' Limiteds to over 427 total pieces counting "most" accepted variations is one heck of a range of guesses!

Rod Watson

Re: How many HL releases to date? #74175 07/12/02 11:04 AM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Rod,

How did you ever get started compiling such a list? Probably started out innocently enough and got addictive after a while!!??

Great Work, Dan

Re: How many HL releases to date? #74176 07/12/02 12:34 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Elmer:
Hi Rod,

How did you ever get started compiling such a list? Probably started out innocently enough and got addictive after a while!!??

Great Work, Dan

A 'Friend' asked him to compile the information. Amazingly still a friend after all that work by Rod!

0 :>)

Re: How many HL releases to date? #74177 07/12/02 07:58 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Rod I have two more for you.

At the first regional in Atlanta in Oct, 1999
There were two unusual Artist proofs given away.
The first one was a California made Coquille. The unusual thing about this one was that it was never painted. There were originally two like that. Both were stolen from the Harbour light warehouse by a Sales rep. Some how one of them ended up in the hands of a dealer. When the dealer retired and went out of business, She returned the unpainted Coquille AP to Bill. Bill then gave it away at the 1st Regional. A 10 year old boy won it.

The other one was an un-painted American Shoal. I believe that there are two of them also. They were unpainted so that the metal work could be checked. Only one was given away at the regional.

Keep up the good work Rod. It is a good idea to document this stuff.
After were gone there will be nobody around that knows all the collectables.

Daniel

DANIEL
Re: How many HL releases to date? #74178 07/13/02 01:23 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
R
Thanks guys, added in now. Knew about the Burrows, Ken R. snagged that one up, but didn't know about the other 2.

Re: How many HL releases to date? #74179 07/13/02 02:15 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Gee, Rod, if you are going to think about adding the wacko pins, you should add in the Wacko Reunion Name Badges and 2002 Wacko Name Badge, and of course the Wacko Lanyard.

Dave

Re: How many HL releases to date? #74180 07/13/02 02:31 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Okay now the buttons, My Specialty:
For the un-official buttons we also have:
The Nell button with the picture of Bill on it and dated June 3, 2000
The Nancy Button from the New York Eastern Great lakes harbour Lights Collectors Club, August 2001

Regional buttons there are 13 so far not 12.
They are:
1. Portland Regional Oct 21, 2000
2. Raleigh Regional Oct 8, 2000
3. Orlando Regional Aug 19, 2000
4. Milwaukee Regional July 16, 2000
5. Chesapeake Regional Sept 16, 2000
6. Orange County Aug 12, 2000
7. Atlanta Regional Aug 20, 2000
8. Chicago Regional event June 16 2001
9. North east Regional Event October 27 2001
10. California Regional Event April 28, 2001
11. Florida Regional Event
12. Spring Regional Event April 6, 2002
13. Summer Regional Event June 29, 2002

There is also a variation Button for the Sea Girth Button in 1998
One is normal and the variation is dark.

Also a reunion badge in 1997. It was Old Point Loma

Daniel

[This message has been edited by Daniel (edited 07-13-2002).]

DANIEL
Re: How many HL releases to date? #74181 07/13/02 03:31 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
R
Thanks guys. I added the 13th regional button, counted mine wrong. Also added Battery Pt., Cape Lookout GLOW, and Wolf Trap.

I didn't add the '97 badge in the main sculpture count because it didn't have an actual HL number like the other 2 did (from my understanding).

I tried not to go in detail on the "unofficial' stuff, I changed the statement to a simple generalized one to cover all, instead of specifically mentioning just a few. The list is getting a little long already (understatement. LOL), and the unofficial stuff is growing in leaps and bounds. Trying to keep this list mainly to the official sculptures, with just a mention of the ancillary stuff at the bottom.

There are tons of the ancillary stuff that I didn't get into. Just tried to cover the basics in the one paragraph. There is a gigantic list of one-of-a-kind and rare tidbits that would take a complete list to cover them alone. I have just in my collection alone: a one-of-a-kind "black and white" version of the Sea Girt button, 4 different AP versions of the Sea Girt society cloisonne pin with different color schemes on each one (for HL to choose from), a 1993 Christmas card (Hatteras watercolor drawing on front) from HL with matching gift certificate insert inside (not sent out to collectors in general), HL phone stickers (with their phone numbers) to stick on your telephone, Bill Younger's "passport" from the '97 reunion, original color proof layout spreads from the printer for a couple of the buttons, a mini Coquille River sculpture from a different company with only 6 sides (just like HL's)...which HL sued them for copying, a couple lighthouse candle holder sculptures from another company who named them "Harbour Lights" too (another lawsuit I believe), some original black and white advertisement proofs for some of their early '91-'94 adds, and a couple dozen other wierd items. I know that there are tons of these type of rarities out there in others' collections too (like Sean's "beaver" sculpture, the Harbour Lights apron, HL pencils, store displays and set-ups, etc.). Maybe someday I'll try and create a second list just for all the standard and rare ancillary items, since many people like myself collect them too. We'll try and keep the detailed info of this list for the sculptures.

As a side note, I can never thank my Forum and HL friends too much for all the wierd and funny stuff they have been sending me through the years, especially John, Paul, Ken, Dave, and both JJs. A few funny notable ones: A Bill Younger signed "sharpie pen" and matching signed "blotter paper towel" from one of his signings, a couple "broken" or "retarded" buttons with personalized comic notes from Bill, an upside-down printed HL T shirt, the signed box from Bill's "Bob" Tie, small conference room door signs from the last reunion (which an 'un-named' collector pulled off the door at the reunion's conclusion and frantically searched me out through the crowd with a HUGE grin!), as well as many other kooky collectibles. These guys are real pranksters and I happily appreciate the gifts!

Gee, I wonder what the market value is for a Bill Younger signed blotter paper towel!! LOL

Re: How many HL releases to date? #74182 04/07/05 02:01 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I am bringing back this Post done by Rod Watson back in 1998 and then updated in 07/12/02

This is good reading. Enjoy Bob O this is up your alley

DANIEL
Re: How many HL releases to date? #74183 04/07/05 03:09 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Daniel,

You got that right. I'm printing it out right now.

bobo

Re: How many HL releases to date? #74184 04/07/05 03:21 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
R
Jeesh, I forgot about this one. Looks like I'm 2 1/2 years behind!

Re: How many HL releases to date? #74185 04/08/05 11:58 AM
T
texaslighthouselover Offline
Wacko
Wacko
T
Good job Rod.
List is impressive, makes me reflect on the amount of money i've spent over the years on these fantastic little pieces.
Thanks for your hard work,
Bill B

Re: How many HL releases to date? #74186 04/08/05 10:18 PM
cclighthousebuff Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I enjoyed your work, Rod. I'm printing it as I write this and I will have your post attached to a beautiful walnut plaque. I will hang it in my living room for my children so there will be no questions about their inheritance!

Re: How many HL releases to date? #74187 04/09/05 09:59 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
The most important thing about this list is not the prices of your collection, but Rod lists everything that is Collectable up to 2002. Collectors can collect rare Harbour Light collectables only if they know that the collectables are out there. I brought this post back mainly so that new collectors know what is out there to collect. I imagine many old collectors forgot what was on this list also.

I do have two to add to Rod's pre-2003 list.

For some reason we left the St Augustine red roof off.

Also I have a 2000 U.K. brochure for Harbour Lights.

DANIEL
Re: How many HL releases to date? #74188 04/09/05 10:51 AM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Wow, Rod! I never knew this was here! Another "archival gem" of the Collector Forums. Is there any chance of an 03-05 update?

Re: How many HL releases to date? #74189 04/09/05 12:53 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
R
Oh.....maybe someday I'll gradually bring it further up to date little by little. I just now added in the 'red roof' Augustine though....that's a good start!

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 823 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users