Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
AP Values #73562 01/12/06 03:01 AM
MelJB Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I was wondering what the "wise ones" here would have to say about how much an AP's value might depreciate due to damage?

I had the opportunity to purchase at regular retail an AP, (Mahota) but decided to pass on it as there was a corner edge (about 1/4 inch) chipped off of the top section's roof.

Was I foolish it letting this pass? I also let the opportunity pass to buy it later at 40% off retail. Another foolish choice?

I did buy a Craighill MD AP and didn't realize until I got it home that it was also missing a roof corner. Any comments as to loss in value on this one?

Melody
Re: AP Values #73563 01/12/06 09:24 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm a little lower on the ladder of "people-in-the-know" and speak only as a connected collector. Avoid damaged pieces if you are looking for future value.

If you find a rare piece that you need for your collection and it has a minor defect/chip that's not that noticeable, and you can get it for a really nice price, buy it. If you find a really rare piece that's worth the big bucks but it's damaged, consider buying it if you are willing to pay the price for restoration to that piece.

Artists Proofs, although rare, are not selling for what they use to. At one time, AP's would sell for 2-3 times the retail price. If you use eBay for price guidance, you'll find even AP's bringing not much more than retail. A damaged AP would sell for much less than retail, especially if the damage was obvious to anyone viewing the piece.

smile Bob smile

Re: AP Values #73564 01/12/06 10:41 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
A noticeably damaged LE or AP is not worth anything to me. A slight paint chip that can be repaired w/o it being noticed is in the opinion of the buyer.
There seems to be lots of APs available in the market the past few years including some below retail. So obtaining an AP is not so hard to do. Of course if the piece has special meaning, it's your choice.
I've purchased APs below, and equal to retail. If your not in a hurry you can add one at a reasonable price. I think there's a couple on ebay right now.
Just my opinion,
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: AP Values #73565 01/12/06 11:40 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
The value in an Artist's Proof (AP) is how few of them are made. At most it might be 15 pieces. There are a few cases where there might be just 1 or 2. In fact, there may be NO APs of certain pieces. For example, the Collector's Society pieces, the In-Store event pieces and MAYBE the Christmas piece. (Don't hold me to that.)

In some collectible lines, I believe many, many more APs of things are made. That has never been the case with Harbour Lights.

The primary purpose of APs was/is to allow reps to have a product to show dealers. Only those reps with showrooms are given APs. Not sure how many of those there are today. Once an item was out of the product line (retired), it would no longer be needed to display in the showroom and reps were/are free to keep it for their personal collection, give it to a retail dealer to use as they wished, or to sell it.

Nelson Debenet, the Michigan rep, usually donates his to be auctioned at the Alpena LH Festival with the proceeds benefitting a lighthouse restoration project.

APs from the early years (1991-1995) may be extremely rare and may be harder to firmly identify.

Even rarer than an AP is a 'Paint Sample'. This would be one of two pieces that were painted by an origination painter to show the factory how the finished pieces were to look. Two Paint Samples are made of each piece. One is shipped to the factory, one is retained by Harbour Lights. The production painters do their thing and ship the early samples (APs) to the company for review. These APs are compared with the retained Paint Sample to be certain they are painted as requested.

Typically, Paint Samples don't have bottom felt.

When some other error might have been discovered early on (such as Split Rock "MI" or the Old Field metal tree problem), then the APs should all have the error.

A badly damaged AP (broken) is worth nothing IMHO. One with a minor flaw should be 'marked down'.

Of course the value is what a buyer is willing to pay. If it is your favorite lighthouse in the world, and you want a unique Harbour Lights version of it, then make the seller an offer.

If you need to repair a piece, get an estimate first. The cost of the repair, plus back-and-forth shipping might make the piece worth next to nothing to you.

I'm a bit prejudiced, but I think if you are a serious collector, having at least one AP in your collection is neat -- and a good conversation starter when people admire your display.

Re: AP Values #73566 01/12/06 12:47 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Well stated, JC! I have about six AP's in my collection and I'm happy to have them.

smile Bob smile

Re: AP Values #73567 01/14/06 01:57 AM
MelJB Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks for the info, I feel better knowing I made the right decision. I don't think the Mahota has been that popular a piece, so to buy a damaged AP wasnt' worth the money.

John you spoke about getting an estimate on repair...Who would I contact, I am not familiar with any persons/companies that restore?

Melody
Re: AP Values #73568 01/14/06 02:43 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by MelJB:
Who would I contact, I am not familiar with any persons/companies that restore?
My contact would be from HL - and right now, with the move to Maine, I don't have one. Perhaps after Kathy (was Dowling, now Johns) gets settled in West Kennebunk in a few weeks, please bring that back up or call her at 800-365-1219.

Re: AP Values #73569 01/14/06 03:15 AM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
Future values of the "AP" will be split into two groups.

1. Paint Samples,true artist proofs, as John Mentioned above. This group will have the best potential to retain greater than retail value.

2. Non-paint sample AP's.These are sales samples. I doubt that lower numbers in this group will contribute to a higher value over time as many of these are the same as regular production with different labeling. However, some toy sales sample kits from the 20,s' , 30's , 40's etc. sell on the antique market for a fortune

Just my opinion

Lonnie
Re: AP Values #73570 01/15/06 04:11 AM
MelJB Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks for the info John, I'll wait a little while and then give Kathy a call I'd really like to see about repairing the Craighill.

Melody
Re: AP Values #73571 01/24/06 08:04 PM
K
KEWEENAW Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
While we're on the AP topic, does anyone have any idea/guess what the current value is of the Old Field Point AP with the leafless tree??

Re: AP Values #73572 01/24/06 10:24 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
...does anyone have any idea/guess what the current value is of the Old Field Point AP with the leafless tree??
Now that's a really tough call. They are so rare. I haven't seen one on eBay so so we don't have what the general public/collector would be willing to pay for it.

My somewhat educated guess? Maybe three times the retail price at the least, maybe a lot more.

It is a gem to say the least.

smile Bob smile

Re: AP Values #73573 01/24/06 10:36 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I agree with Bob, I think it was at the Baltimore Reunion when I saw the last one.. Being rare it is whatever a buyer or buyers (bidding) is willing to spend.. There are a couple of collectors I know that would spend over $1000 for one a few years ago but both are not buying any these days..

I would probably spend a couple hundred on one but I also could live without one in my collection, running out of room in the house and once I got my CH1 my collection became complete..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: AP Values #73574 01/25/06 01:24 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I know you could at least get $300 for it. I would hand over $300 right now for one.
It wasn’t too long (about a year and a half) ago that a forum member brought to our attention that an Old Field point AP was on a web site for $300. It was instantly swept up.

I feel that at todays market it could go on ebay for between $600 and $1200. But If I had one you couldn’t get it out of my hands even for $10,000. Even thought it is an extremely rare Harbour Light, there is just not that many collectors out there that will go over $600.
The newer rarities just don’t have the desirability as the old ones. A miss-spelled Split Rock of 250 made and a Burrows Island with 500 made will always catch more attention than a newer rarity like the Old Field point AP. The collector’s just love the old ones (101 to 145) and that seems to be were the money is.

So it is very hard anymore to say what this rare Harbour Light is worth. Is it worth $300 because I and many other collectors are willing to pay that amount? Or is it worth $10,000 because I and many other collectors would not sell one for any less than that?

DANIEL
Re: AP Values #73575 01/26/06 07:54 PM
K
KEWEENAW Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm not really looking to part with it at this time, just trying to add the collection to the homeowners insurance and wasn't really sure what value to put on it. Daniel, if I decide to part with it, I'll keep you in mind.

Rob

Re: AP Values #73576 01/26/06 09:26 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
The last one I know of sold for about $1,250. I think that would be a good insurance amount. It would still be hard to buy one at that price what is what the insurance value is based on.

All the Old Field's with the bare trees were APs.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 832 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users