Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yet another new book, & assorted items #7309 11/03/05 08:41 PM
Danny Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
I'll depend on the Forum Coordinator to move this to the appropriate spot, if needed.

I stumbled across a new book on lighthouses, yesterday, at Barnes & Noble. Assuming that there is some sort of consistency among the Barnes & Noble outlets, I should note that this book was placed in the "Architecture" section.

The book:

THE WORLD'S GREATEST LIGHTHOUSES
by Annamaria Lilla Mariotti
2005, published by White Star S.p.a.
ISBN# 88-544-0088-2
B&N's stock # 9788854400887
USA: $19.95
Canada: $27.95
176 pages
Dimensions: 14 7/8 in. tall, 8 in. wide, 7/8 in. thick.

See: http://www.nautisk.com/cgi-bin/shop/X12231

The lighthouses covered are [as listed in the contents, with a + added for those having HL-- ONLY--versions. NOT including 'Pharos']:

Tower of Hercules * Spain + [as La Coruna]
Hook Head * Ireland +
La Lanterna * Italy
The Cordouan * France
Portland Bill * Great Britain
Forte Stella * Italy
Portland Head * United States +
Fanad Head * Ireland
Cape Arkona * Germany
Berlenga * Portugal
Cabo Mayor * Spain
Skerryvore * Great Britain
Cape St. Vincent * Portugal
Gibb's Hill * Bermuda +
Castro Urdiales * Spain
Point Loma * United States +
Bishop Rock * Great Britain
San Vito Lo Capo * Italy
Créac'h * France
Chipiona * Spain
Peggy's Cove * Canada +
Cape Hatteras * United States +
Bodie Island * United States +
Longships * Great Britain +
Brothers Islands * Egypt
Eddystone * Great Britain
Macquarie * Australia +
Heceta Head * United States +
Cape Byron * Australia
Ile Vierge * France
Fastnet Rock * Ireland
La Martre * Canada +
Tasman Island * Australia
Split Rock * United States +
La Jument * France +
Kéréon * France
Punta Madonna * Italy

Yes, I know that there is a Harbour Lights Eddystone, but it is the old, now-vanished configuration.

The large format book has several dandy photos. Inasmuch as I only just bought it, I haven't had the chance to evaluate the text. Having only 77 or 78 books on lighthouses, I figured that I needed another one! However, I'm a sucker for multiple, photographic views of the same lighthouses. Please keep in mind that I am only advising about the release/existence of the book, and that I am neither recommending it or panning it. Don't rail at me if your favorite lights are not contained therein!

Oddly enough, the cover carries a photo of Point Reyes, CA, although it make no appearance in the book itself.

An incidental pointer: for those members of the Forum who are interested in the French lighthouses and might also read French, this is a pleasant site: http://www.phareland.com/index.html The photographic resources are valuable.

Enthusiasts for the now-destroyed Cleveland Light Station [my favorite] who might find the inspiration for the Gdańsk light intriguing, take a glance at http://www.lighthouse.pl/?menu=hist&lang=en

Finally, my avocation as genealogist has brought me across a bit of trivia that might tweak some interest, tossed out as an aside in "The Dictionary of National Biography," vol.II, Beal-Browell, under the article 'BOOTH, Junius Brutus,' the actor [1796-1852]: "In his occasional fits of moroseness he attempted once, as has been seen, his own life, and more than once, it is said, that of another. Some wild tricks are assigned to him, and once he made an effort to obtain the post of lighthouse keeper at Cape Hatteras lighthouse." [page 849] One of his sons, of course, was John Wilkes Booth!

Danny

Re: Yet another new book, & assorted items #7310 11/04/05 04:54 AM
beachcomber Offline
Danny, this sounds like a good addition to the lighthouse library - and I have a Barnes & Noble gift certificate which I have yet to use.

Speaking of genealogy, I ran into a fascinating article about The Three Sisters written by Don Sparrow. His great grandmother's maiden name was Elvira Hatch, so when he ran into a Daguerreotype of sisters Sarah, Laura and Abbie Hatch he did some research and found they were first cousins of Elvira's. He had heard a story that the Three Sisters Lighthouses were named after these three sisters. Further research showed that their grandfather was Henry Y. Hatch who was a lighthouse keeper. Although Sparrow has not been able to verify the story about the three girls, he likes to believe that it is a true story. There is also information about the three lighthouses and how the National Park Service purchased them from the private owners and set them back up in the original configuration - some yards away from the current Nauset Beach Lighthouse which replaced them. The website follows:

www.lighthousedepot.com/Digest/Photopage.

beachcomber
Re: Yet another new book, & assorted items #7311 11/04/05 01:58 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I thought I would add a link to Gary's list of lighthouse books to this thread..

Lighthouse Books

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Yet another new book, & assorted items #7312 11/04/05 03:54 PM
beachcomber Offline
I'm glad you pulled this thread back up, Paul. Gary's list is a very comprehensive one. I wonder if John was able to do anything with the database. I would love to have a copy.

beachcomber
Re: Yet another new book, & assorted items #7313 11/05/05 07:55 PM
Danny Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Grace...If you do acquire the lighthouse book, share your impressions of it. Again, I can't begin reading for quite awhile because of other research projects I absolutely have to get done, but I did take another look through it and am impressed by the clarity and dimension of several of the photos. If you located it, did you find it in the "Architecture" section of your particular Barnes & Noble?

Danny

Re: Yet another new book, & assorted items #7314 11/07/05 08:51 PM
Danny Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Another general notice: I just saw the same book, yesterday, at Border's. There, it was shelved in "Photography." Since the "Photography" section was adjacent to the "Architecture" section, there is always the chance that it was 'forcibly migrated' by a customer, but since it was on the very top shelf, I am suspecting not. At any rate, it doesn't seem to be a Barnes & Noble exclusive.

Danny

Re: Yet another new book, & assorted items #7315 11/08/05 12:02 AM
beachcomber Offline
As soon as I buy this book, I will give you my impressions. It sounds like a very beautiful one. I'm trying to finish up the parttime job but can't seem to manage it. Every week since the first of October, I've been saying that it is the last week - hopefully, THIS is it!

beachcomber
Re: Yet another new book, & assorted items #7316 11/25/05 10:54 PM
beachcomber Offline
Danny, I forgot to mention that I did see The World's Greatest Lighthouses at Barnes & Noble. I found it under Architecture (next to Photography). It has some really beautiful pictures and probably is considered a "coffee table" book. As such, it will be on the bargain table before too long - probably after the New Year - so I am going to hold off purchasing it at the full price. Really fantastic pictures.

beachcomber
Re: Yet another new book, & assorted items #7317 11/29/05 09:00 PM
Danny Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Grace...Have you NO influence with Santa at all? What happened to the plate-of-cookies-and-glass-of-milk routine? Surely you're not above bribing? Or else, have someone create a distraction and walk out the door with it!

They'll let you have it in jail. laugh

Danny

Re: Yet another new book, & assorted items #7318 11/30/05 01:24 AM
beachcomber Offline
Too many other items on Santa's list and I don't want to spend Christmas in jail! This one will have to wait for the post Christmas sales; it's obscene how Barnes & Noble tempts me after Christmas - all those discounted books, Christmas cards, Christmas wrapping. And me with no money!!

beachcomber

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (DANIEL, Rock, Dave H), 1,665 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users