Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73132 05/06/05 02:18 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
I think one reason I keep coming back to the Chicago Harbor Southeast Guidewall Light is because it's one many of the Wackos who gathered together at Navy Pier have seen and it brings back memories shared.

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=235

There are a couple of recently constructed/to be constructed pier lights on Lake Ontario. While not in exactly the same locations as the originals I do believe that they are/will be pretty close replicas to the originals in appearance. They are at Olcott, NY:

http://www.rudyalicelighthouse.net/OntLts/Olcott/Olcott.htm

And at Old Orchard, NY:

http://www.oakorchardlighthouse.com/

Another set of recently contructed breakwater lights are the ones at Burlington, VT on Lake Champlain.
http://www.lighthousedepot.com/database/uniquelighthouse.cfm?value=924

http://test.burgessinc.com/lighthouse/main.html

Beside these new lights there are 9 other historical lighthouses on the lake and the only one HL's produced is the 10th which isn't even on the lake anymore. Colchester Reef at the Shelburne Museum was a rather lack luster Xmas piece some years back. Time for more?

Another "cutie" that surfaces on the forums now and then is the Grand Island Range Light.

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=300

The Sodus Outer pier light would be neat (if we could ever get the Old Sodus Light made. Well it almost got made over Sister Island....)

http://www.us-lighthouses.com/displaypage.php?LightID=114

We've got Presque Isle, PA and a LLOM of the Erie Land Lighthouse. How about the Presque Isle North Pierhead Light?

http://www.us-lighthouses.com/displaypage.php?LightID=114

I seriously doubt that any of the above lighthouses would anytime soon, if ever, be made as LE's by HL so am submitting these for consideration.

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73133 05/06/05 02:39 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
No John, one light was destroyed. The other one was rescued and relocated out front of the town highway department. (It's the one that you made a sticker from my photo.) You have to drive there to appreciate it. There's a curve in the road and when you are approaching it, it appears that you are heading directly at it! Here's a photo of it, or it's mate (they were identical), at one end of the breakwater.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/WEBLIGHTHOUSES/capevincent.JPG

There's an old postcard that shows both lights on the breakwater but I can't find one on line. I've got a fridge magnet that is a reproduction of that postcard. I know I've probably got a travel brochure that has a picture of that postcard.

I've got some photos of the breakwater I took when Jakers and I were up there. Standing on shore I had to take three shots in order to be able to splice them together in order to get the whole breakwater.

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73134 05/06/05 02:49 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
While we probably wouldn't want a foreign light? another lighthouse that comes to mind as it's story is similar to the Cape Vincent lights is Queen's Wharf in Toronto.

http://www.rudyalicelighthouse.net/OntLts/QueenWrf/QueenWrf.htm

Better photo here, imho:

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73135 05/06/05 10:42 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
In case you haven't noticed, I haven't nominated a light to be considered as the model for the special CF piece. As a member of the "Work Team", I have kept an open mind and have been checking out all the links added to the replies by our members.

I try to think of simple but different lights when it comes to making a nomination. Simple and different just don't seem to go together. I guess it is either simple, or it's different. When I think simple, the first light that came into my mind was one that was already nominated by another CF member, Derby Wharf in Salem Mass. I also think of Long Point and Wood End in Provincetown, Mass. These lights are simple but not necessarily different. All three are white with black lantern rooms.

Another light I think would make a great HL LE, and probably will be some day, is Great Point on Nantucket. Even if we proposed that one to Kim I think she would want the right to keep that as a future LE by Harbour Lights.

The Gurnet in Plymouth, MA, was also suggested. It is somewhat different looking but due to it's remote inaccessible location, unless your a property owner at Saquish, it may not be a great choice.

I think my attention may be drawn to something that still exists and is totally different from anything HL has offered to date. Maybe something in green would be appropriate.

We need something really different from anything we have in our collections. We need a light that is so different, that everyone will want to buy it even though it is not from their region. If it draws their scrutiny and makes them smile, we have a winner.

Okay all you lighthouse nuts, you have your assignment! Find us something really different and just maybe that might end up as the CF Special.

smile Bob smile

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73136 05/06/05 09:45 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Okay Bobster - your wish is granted... its simple and small, its definitely different and look at that beacon - its kinda green. smile

Buffalo Harbor South Bottle light

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73137 05/06/05 09:55 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
and for mombologicus here's some Tibbets which would make a great piece - HL really needs to do this one.

Tibbets on a bright *windy* day...our first visitAnd on a grey blustery day...our second visit
What a pair of hooters!

I love this sign on the Tibbets FSB - kinda pulls at ya one way or the other

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73138 05/09/05 01:47 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Timothy,

I love the look of the Tibbits. The "hooters" are neat and the bi-directional sign is really thought provoking.

bobo

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73139 05/10/05 12:14 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I like the idea of a bottle light as Timothy posted. That would be unique, something that hasn't been done (to my knowledge) yet. I love having all various types of lights to add to our collection.
Judy

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73140 05/10/05 02:16 PM
B
beaconbyers Offline
B
How about Makapuu Point Oahu, Hawaii. Hard to get to, a unique shape, and probably the largest lense in the Pacific, It would look great.

KonaSatch
Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73141 05/10/05 02:26 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks KonaSatch you can check out Makaupuu Point, Oahu, HI here.

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73142 05/10/05 02:33 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
That's pretty funny KonaSatch, I was just looking through my Hawaii photos at that lighthouse - No more then 10 minutes ago for a nomination! eek

The Shanklins' say it's the largest lighthouse lens in the World!"This lighthouse has its original Hyper-Radiant First Order lens. It is the biggest lens in the world. Only one other still exists, I believe."
Good Symbolism

The back
Makapuu Point, Oahu

Bob

ps And Ruthie posts a link within the same 20 minutes! This could be a winner! I'm mad I didn't make the climb but I snuck out to see it before a dinner reservation. I'm going back to do it!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73143 05/10/05 06:28 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Nice new lights we're coming up with!

There are actually two 'bottle lights' around. One at Niagara, one now at Point Gratiot - formerly also at Niagara.

Photo by Stephan Sostaric

Looks a bit different, perhaps a 'matched set' one of each. A pair of LLOM.

Here's another lighthouse with 'cross-over' interest to collectors of things 'Titanic'. The Titantic Memorial Lighthouse in NYC:

Photo by Shirin Pagels.

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73144 05/10/05 07:34 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
How ironic that the Titanic Memorial Light is mentioned! I was just browsing the website of the Titanic Historical Society, and was flipping through their gift shop (finally found a QE2 tie bar!). I came upon a replica of the lighthouse (http://secured.titanichistoricalsociety.org/shop/tek9.asp?pg). I looked at and thought, "For $40, what a piece of junk!"

Because of the connection between my two interests, this would be, to me at least, a very cool lighthouse to replicate.

I also love the bottle lights. They're another of the lights on my list of "World's Cutest Lighthouses". I would love to have an HL of them, too. The thing about our quest for "unique and different" lights is that it's almost a list of all my favourite "cute" lighthouses! laugh

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73145 05/10/05 11:58 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Either bottle light will be a truly unique model that generates interest beyond the forums. Something on the scale of Sunken Rock could work nicely.

...detail of Buffalo bottle light

... in this shot, behind the light is the top of a large construction crane. different day, different sky

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73146 05/11/05 12:40 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Your photo of the Buffalo bottle light is totally cool. I would like to see this one made for our CF Project.

bobo

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73147 05/11/05 02:27 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
What is the actual height of these bottle lights?

Both of these would definitly require metal work making it more expensive to produce than one that does not.

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73148 05/11/05 10:12 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I am just getting a little where I can do more than sort out items around the apartment, read e-mail and tinker with downloads, but I scanned a picture of Petoskey Light that some suggested previously and didn't know how to get it to the files, so Dave is suposedly going to load it if he got this version via e-mail (which he didn't get the picture the first time). I think that would be a decent one that could probably keep the price down via the somewhat simplistic (thoiugh odd)nature.

BTW, the lighthouse gods must have been looking out (somewhat) for me today as it could've been alot worse when I had to move my tv cabinet out to put a new tv in as mine went kaput after the coax fitting wrung off when trying to hook up the vcr and cable...ANYHOO, I had some speaker shelves mounted on either side of the cabinet in tight quarters and as I moved it out to hook everything up, it knocked onre of the speakers and shelving down on top of my media storage unit where I had my Chicago Harbor and Sherwood point lights placed!! eek eek eek

Only chipped a small piece off of the tower roof next to the tree of the S. Point piece; no tree, nor the silver piece/stack, just the tip of the (bell tower??) roof. shocked WHEW!! Boy how lucky!! Needless to say, I moved the unit over from under the speaker eventhough it is more in the way of the door passage and doesn't hide the speaker wires now, but can't risk that happening again!! :rolleyes:

I still don't have all of mine back yet and trying to figure where they're all going to go anyway. I have to rebox 90% for the 29th to get them to the SandDollar.

Steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73149 05/11/05 10:31 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Steve,

Here is a link to a picture of Petoskey Lighthouse.

Petoskey Lighthouse

Note the short message. Whoever posted this apparently didn't like the light very much.

bobo

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73150 05/11/05 11:07 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Well Bob, not to toot my own horn, my picture looks alot better laugh , eventhough that's her and this picture does show the surrounding land area to offset it.

To tell you the truth I'd rather go the route of the standard LE light for our piece, but to make it unique and keep the price down, it may take a smaller piece and/or an "odd one".

Steve

edited to insert Steve's picture of Petoskey

(Still trying to learn how to edit with the new toys...it got here but would've looked better at full size - Steve)

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73151 05/12/05 12:03 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I agree Steve.

Your picture is pleasant to look at -- the one I pulled is (as the author says) ugly. I like yours a heck of a lot better.

bobo

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73152 05/12/05 12:28 AM
Tom and Joyce Abbott Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bigbird posted
Quote:
I am just getting a little where I can do more than sort out items around the apartment, read e-mail and tinker with downloads, but I scanned a picture of Petoskey Light that some suggested previously and didn't know how to get it to the files,
I believe the lighthouse previously suggested was Old Petosky Pierhead Light, not Petosky Pierhead Light.

Pierhead posted
Quote:
Old Petoskey Pier Light (Link below - thanks to the Abbotts for posting that)

I can't find a picture of it on the web, but it's in "Lightouses of Lake Michigan : Past and Present" by Wayne Sapulski. It would be perfect - it's a lost light and definitely unique looking.
The link to Old Petoskey Pierhead Light:

http://www.chippewa-hills.k12.mi.us/~pjdurbin/Lake_Michigan/petoskey_pierhead.htm

"Picture Postcard from National Archives"

Old Petoskey Pierhead Light is very unique and definitely not "ugly".

Tom & Joyce
Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73153 05/12/05 01:32 AM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I still like the bottle light idea!
Judy

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73154 05/12/05 01:36 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Tom and Joyce,

Thanks for the input. I guess I was in the right church -- but the wrong pew. Your photo looks great.

Judy, you are correct. I like the old light too.

bobo

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73155 05/12/05 01:48 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
JC - I'm not sure of the height of the bottle lights. Saw a Web site where the Buffalo bottle was stated to be 30 ft. but I'm pretty sure that is too much. You can just see the door on the right side of the Dunkirk one and its not big. I've stood next to both and from memory I'll guess they are 18-24 feet tall, with Buffalo being the taller of the two.

You're probably right about the metal work - the truly unique models are, well, truly unique. And it could be a challenge for HL, which I trust they would do magnificently. Even a scaled down mini sized bottle light will be a standout on most display shelves.

Message in a bottle,
T

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73156 05/12/05 01:51 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I just love the Old Petoskey Pierhead Light...it is so unique cool It so far is one of my favorites...the other is the HI light Makapuu Point Oahu because it too is unique because of the size of the light cool What am I saying, I will buy whatever light is chosen laugh

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73157 05/12/05 09:24 AM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Sorry T & J, I read too fast, but that happens when you're trying to catch up all at once. Just saw the title Petoskey Pierhead Light when you go to the link and not "old". Knew it wan't the same, but didn't relate.

Steve

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73158 05/12/05 09:46 AM
Tom and Joyce Abbott Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Steve,
No reason to be sorry. smile We just wanted to be certain Old Petroskey was still in the running as a unique and "almost" one of kind lighthouse.

Tom & Joyce
Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73159 05/12/05 10:57 AM
pierhead Offline
Bob and Steve I about flipped when I saw you guys had posted the pictures of the Petoskey D9 light. smile I guarantee I wouldn't have nominated that "light". Thanks to Tom and Joyce for posting that picture again.

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73160 05/13/05 12:15 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
John, the Coast Guard Historian's site says the Buffalo North Breakwater South End Light (the one still in Buffalo) is 29'.

My Seaway Trail Lighthouses book doesn't give the height for that one but it says the one at Dunkirk is "about 30'" and a twin of the one in Buffalo. But the one at Dunkirk doesn't have that cap on it like the one in Buffalo.

Tim, maybe you saw these lights on a tall day?? wink

Ah, the answer about the cap is here. Put your cursor over each of the lights to read about them (but no heights given).

http://www.buffalohistoryworks.com/light/map.htm

The height of the Buffalo Main light is supposed to be 76' including the base it sits on. In the photo shown below it seems that if you moved the bottle light next to it 29-30' seems about right keeping in mind that in the photo the Main light is closer so would appear large than the bottle light.

http://www.buffalohistoryworks.com/light/images/light-freight.jpg

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73161 05/13/05 01:09 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Good work, Cone head! The ventilator balls on those lights always reminded me of the old toilet floats. (The ones it he BACK of the toilet, Dave.)

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73162 05/13/05 01:48 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm really liking the Buffalo Bottle light now, especially if it could be shown with a green or red light. In describing the pair, the Seaway Trail Lighthouses book says, "These typically were equiped with the smallest (6th order)lens and emitted a green or red beam produced by using a colored chimney around the lens."

Since the one at Dunkirk has a green "chimney" perhaps the one in Buffalo had a red one even though from Tim's photo it doesn't seem to anymore. Of course it would look even better if it had the lightning rod. Certainly in this day and age HL should be able to put one on made of some material that wouldn't break? Those rod pieces they made previously were eons ago, right?

Another reason, imo, that this would be a great piece to make is that it would be a neat companion to the HL of Buffalo Main and if made in a small version. If we could get the pair of them made at a decent price, that would be even better. Then you could display one of them with the Buffalo Main Light and one with the Dunkirk HL. Or if you were feeling in the historically accurate mood you could park them both near the Buff Main HL!

I'm sure Tim's got more photos of these two HL could use. I know I've got some and I'm sure lots of other folks who've visited their current locations would have some too.

But I sure think it would be important to get the proper names for these lights. In the link to the interactive map I posted the one still in Buffalo was at the south end of the north breakwater, hence was called the Buffalo North Breakwater South End Light. Seeing that the one at Dunkirk was at the south end of the south breakwater it would seem that it's proper name was the Buffalo South Breakwater South End Light? Can they fit all that on the piece??? If not they could call them Buffalo North Breakwater Light and Buffalo South Breakwater Light with further descriptions in the C of A???

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73163 05/13/05 03:15 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Well fiddle-dee-dee Miss Head, course we got more pictures...

here's a couple shots from our Seaway Trail trip in '03. now that i see people next to the lights i realize i can't gauge height worth a fig. the red coat is the missus and the blue coat is the coastie who promenaded us. as the rightside fighter jet contrail attests, everyone was still and properly nervous in the Buffalo area that fall, especially the Coast Guard - God Bless 'em.

Buffalo Harbor North Bottle light New York

Back in ... jeez was it '96?... when I got the LE without having been to the light, I thought it was one of the most singularly elegant sculptures. Seeing the real torchbearer simply confirmed that as fact.

Is feeling in an historically accurate mood like acting your age? Here is something I don't have many of - a digital version of a pre-digital-camera photo. Notice how much smaller the tree is from the picture above. From our 'Beacons to Daylight' Tour in '98

Buffalo Harbor South Bottle light New York

The shape of the 'milk bottle' lights is truly unique - I suspect if you saw either standing in a field by itself you might not guess it was a lighthouse.

Koo-Koo-Ka-Choo,
Dr. Pixel

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73164 05/13/05 03:50 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Here's my final nomination.

Price's Creek NC. Front Range

Mike

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73165 05/14/05 10:09 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I do concur with Tim's suggestion of the B-O-B lights. They are one of the most unique shaped lights suggested so far.

Little by little we are getting closer to our goals. The B-O-B lights should be one of our top finalists.

Nice to see you're still out there, Tim!

smile Bob smile

Note: B-O-B stands for "Bottles of Buffalo".

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73166 05/14/05 12:26 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I concur with the concurrances. I think Buffalo Bottle would be a great piece, and one that wouldn't really be produced by HL otherwise.

Plus, the ablility to pair it with Buffalo Main would be great! I'd get a Buffalo Main LE if that was the case.

My vote, right now, is for this light.

Only thing - do you think HL would let us make TWO lights? I think that we should be happy we get one. Maybe, if this does really well, we could do it as an annual thing. Let's just worry about the current project for now, but it's something to consider.

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73167 05/14/05 01:11 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hasn't HL done about all types of lights except for a bottle light? What a great opportunity and a unique piece we would have!
Judy

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73168 05/14/05 10:32 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Well. not to be sour grapes. and appreciating the fact that we want a rarity that HL "wouldn't make or any other reason", I just can't get any more excited about the bottle lights than I could for the "D9"!! frown

I know that there aren't too many unique ones that haven't been made and who wants another $80+ edition, but a bowling pin with a colored light ... doesn't float my clipper; sorry!! confused

Steve

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73169 05/15/05 08:34 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
I know that there aren't too many unique ones that haven't been made and who wants another $80+ edition, but a bowling pin with a colored light ... doesn't float my clipper; sorry!!
Hi Steve, ...It's important that everyone expresses their true opinions on what may be produced, be it for or against a proposed light.

Personally, I'm against a "rubber stamp" lighthouse. I do not want to see something that looks just like another Harbour Lights has already produced. I would like ours to be special. I would like what is finally produced to stand out from the other lights in our collections. I would like a light that, when viewed by even a non-collector, will be a real eye catcher. It should bring comments like "What's that" or "That's really different".

Whatever we come up with will not cost $80. We are hoping to keep it more around $50. I believe that would be for a regular size HL. If we have to go smaller, the cost may be even cheaper.

Everyone's comments are important to us. We will seek direction from the input from the CF membership. Any contrary minded opinions should be expressed as soon as possible.

No one knows if the light we choose will be a treasured piece, a truly unique piece, or an obscure light that the majority of us has never heard of. I think we can all agree that we want it to be special. Something that will draw so much attention that you will want to keep it on display.

Keep those opinions coming!

cool Bob cool

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73170 05/15/05 11:14 AM
pierhead Offline
I'll buy whatever is produced for this project, but I've got to agree with Steve. Except I have trouble garnering any excitement for one of the bottle lights. I know we don't want a "rubber stamp" but there a ton of truly beautiful lights that HL won't be producing that I would rather see than the bottle lights. Like I said, I'll buy one either way, but I just can't get myself to like a mini bottle light. Sorry. smile

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73171 05/15/05 12:36 PM
DANIEL Online
Saint
Saint
IMPORTANT

It is important to provide the name and state for all pictures of the light that you want as a candidate. For lights posted as pictures, also attach a shortcut that opens the picture into an other frame. I am posting all your lights as we go. The List is provided at the beginning of this forum. This duplicate list is also provided to the work team members.

Nominations

Review this list and if your Light is not on the list please let me know. Also if you would like to add any comments to the light you nominated let me know. If you want to nominate a light and can’t find a picture of it. List it anyway and one of our members will find a picture for it.

DANIEL
Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73172 05/20/05 04:55 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
If non-US lighthouses are OK, how about this for simple but different? It stands in Bremerhaven in Germany, by the Kaiserschleuse, which gives the lighthouse its name:

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73173 05/20/05 08:06 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
A very interesting light - thanks for sharing the picture.

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73174 05/20/05 09:23 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Stan & Margaret,

I think that the Kaiserschleuse is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for posting. Maybe it could be created some day.

bobo

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73175 05/21/05 12:49 AM
DANIEL Online
Saint
Saint
Stan & Margaret

Awesome Light.

DANIEL
Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73176 05/21/05 02:08 AM
B
beaconbyers Offline
B
Cow-a-bunga-really neat.

KonaSatch
Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73177 05/21/05 04:40 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Very neat looking light. Great addition to the list.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73178 05/22/05 04:11 PM
Beaconfollower Offline
Thanks Stan & Margaret, what an interesting lighthouse. I am just starting to research the lighthouses in other countries. This sure gives me the drive to continue on. laugh

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons
Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73179 05/22/05 05:28 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Cool lighthouse, Stan and Margaret! Is that lighthouse near the shipyards in Bremerhaven? As an ocean liner fan, I follow the ships going in and out of Lloyd Werft for refits and repairs.

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73180 05/23/05 09:05 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Now that's a better option, but I still haven't been able to spend enough time here to go over all of the nominees. frown

Steve

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73181 06/01/05 11:54 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
BTW, don't know if it wasn't supposed to be discussed with Bill, but assuming he would be in on the workings of whatever goes on (sooner or later), I asked Bill if he knew anything on the propopsed piece (since the thread came to an abrupt halt) and not only was he not familiar with the proposal, he was unaware of The Keeper's site. Maybe Kim DOES keep him in the dark until there's a need to "bother" him?!?

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73182 06/02/05 07:09 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Would it be safe to say that Kim is running the show and Bill has taken more of a Good Will Ambassador's position with the company? I'm sure what Bill says, goes, but the helm probably is under Kim's control.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73183 06/02/05 10:06 AM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
More or less what I was saying, but less straight forward. wink Thanks for concurring/clarifying for others.

Steve

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73184 06/10/05 12:45 AM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Did anyone get my nomination/mention of Pomham ?Rocks for a possible CF Edition Piece??

Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73185 06/10/05 03:16 AM
B
beaconbyers Offline
B
I also nominated Ponham. Would be great........

KonaSatch
Re: Special CF Lighthouse Nominees - Part Deux #73186 06/10/05 07:59 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
They had a nice article about Ponham Rocks Light in my last Sunday's newspaper. One-quarter of the page was a picture of the light. The article was quite lengthy and spoke of the planned restoration and some of the people involved so far.

The article mentions a local man from Attleboro, Don Doucette, becoming the chairman of the newly-formed Friends of Ponham Rocks Lighthouse, a chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation based in Wells, Maine.

According to the article, Exxon-Mobil has donated $25,000 towards the restoration and has promised another $25,000 in matching funds if the committee can raise $25,000 on their own. So far they have raised $10,000 of that twenty-five.

This light will be restored and is getting the necessary publicity to bring it to everyone's attention in the area. It is off to a very good start so I believe that Harbour Lights may have its eye on this one as a regular LE in the future.

I should add that this light is only about a mile or so from where I dock my boat. I will try to monitor the progress and report back with pics every once in awhile.

smile Bob smile

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,340 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users