Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kilauea - How many ? #72959 12/14/99 12:20 AM
G
Gay Carr Offline OP
OP Offline
G
How many Kilauea pieces will there be issued? My guess is that there will end up being far less than the "usual" 8,000 or so. (Sunken Rock : 8,132 Edgertown : 8,008 Roosevelt : 7,884) Could it turn out to be 4,000 or less ?

I did not purchase extras as in the past. Far more expensive than previous year's pieces. I bought (& gave as gifts) around 15 Roosevelts last year. Lets hear everyone's thoughts.

Re: Kilauea - How many ? #72960 12/14/99 01:34 AM
Art Offline
I have no clue about how many Kilaueas were produced, but I preferred the smaller event pieces myself. I bought them for my kids when we went to events together, but the price and size of Kilauea changed that.

I like the Kilauea piece, but it could have stood on its own as a regular ol' LE. I would have bought it either way. However, I do wish that the event pieces would return to their prior size/price. They filled a niche in the HL lineup.

There are plenty of smallish and somewhat obscure pierhead lights and others that would make fine little event pieces and sell 8k in one year, imo. Yet if these same lights were done as regular releases, they might languish for years on retail shelves unless the edition size was Panamaesque. HL got it backward this year, imo. Either of the two Panama lights could have made it as an event piece, and Kilauea should have been the LE. I think HL could potentially have sold more of both that way. Betcha even the Beav would have bought a Panama event piece.

I can't help but wonder how many people did not attend an event this year simply because the event piece was more expensive than usual. It didn't prevent me from going, but I gotta wonder...

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Kilauea - How many ? #72961 12/14/99 01:46 AM
K
KT Offline
K
I did attend a signing this year and bought Kilauea because I think it was a wonderful piece. I was disappointed that the event piece was no longer inexpensively priced and of a size that set it apart from the regular LEs.

------------------
Ken T

Ken T
Re: Kilauea - How many ? #72962 12/14/99 05:00 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
I haven't yet been to an event. BY was here last year not this.

However, if the event piece had been smaller, as in the past, I may have ordered one from a dealer who hosted an event. I agree with Art that there are many lights that could best be portrayed in a smaller size.

Re: Kilauea - How many ? #72963 12/14/99 06:43 PM
JeffB Offline
OK, guess someone needs to stand up for Kilauea! (I know, no one is bashing it, I just feel contrary today!) This year was my first event, so I had nothing to compare it to. But it was very exciting showing up, and having them hand me a full size, beautiful lighthouse, that could sit proudly with my LEs. As gifts, I'll probably use TLLOM when they come out, and right now, I do give ornaments. But the event signing was my exciting day, and a full size, special HL is just the reminder I like of that day. To me, this is the same sort of thing as the society piece. Would y'all like that to be a smaller piece too? I know I wouldn't. Just a Texan's opinion!

Jeff
Re: Kilauea - How many ? #72964 12/14/99 11:40 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
I bought Kilauea back in early spring and was unaware of the size of event pieces. I thought it was a LE. I do like Kilauea very much and believe it could have held its own as an LE.

I had an opportunity to finally see Sunken Rock and was surprised at how small it is. If the price is right, small is okay but I didn't want to spend the $40 for it.

Joanne

Re: Kilauea - How many ? #72965 12/15/99 12:07 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I currently own two Kilauea HLs. One is signed by Nancy and the other is signed by both Bill & Nancy. I think it is a fabulous piece and well worth the price I paid. I don't have any idea how many were made.

Bob

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,480 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users