Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Artist's Proof on the shelf #72948 12/23/01 05:22 AM
J
JULB Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Earlier this week, I was in western Colorado visiting for the holidays, and of course I swung by the local HL distributor to see what they had and to see the serial number ranges of the pieces they were selling. This was my first visit to this store so I had no idea what to expect, but I figured, this remote shop would have some middle to high numbers. After looking at a couple of pieces, I spotted a (#189) Morris Island (Then), which I had on my "wish-list" for some day in the future. I picked it up to see what serial # it was and nearly fainted to see it marked "AP" or ARTIST PROOF!! It was in perfect condition! I couldn't believe it!! The store keeper told me they had picked it up from the HL Sales Rep after they were done with it. I thought you could only "win" these at conventions. Lucky Me !!!!!!!! It had no box (AP's rarely do) but it did have it's bottom label, and HL's customer service has already helped me get a Certificate of Authenticity, and Tent Card for it. What a great find! My collection now has one AP, one 2 digit piece, one 3 digit piece, and the rest are the more common distribution numbers. My next goal is to see how high a number I can find closest to the maximum of an edition size! I have a La Jument that is #8955/9500 so I am 545 from the reported end of the production run. I'll have to work on that a little more.

JB
Re: Artist's Proof on the shelf #72949 12/23/01 11:30 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
What a super find! Congrats!

Bob

Re: Artist's Proof on the shelf #72950 12/23/01 01:08 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Great! You have a new approach to collecting Harbor Lights. Most people collect by areas, visits, memories, etc. but you collect by numbers. Did the store have anything else of interest or as you said middle to top of the line numbers.

Rich

Rich
Re: Artist's Proof on the shelf #72951 12/23/01 01:12 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Great find JulB, and the story will be worth more than the piece! Congrats!
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Artist's Proof on the shelf #72952 12/23/01 01:41 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Wow, what a great find! Congratulations!

Re: Artist's Proof on the shelf #72953 12/23/01 02:31 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Most collectors know that the Younger family usually retains #1-10 of new issues (not so with Reunion pieces or Fort Washington). But did you know that Bill also collects the # that represents the year the lighthouse was built? And Nancy stashes away the last # of each piece.

Hang on to that dealer's name and phone number - they may just have a good 'in' with the rep and obtain APs frequently OR it may have been just a nice gesture by the Rep who passes along his APs to other dealers in his/her area as well.

Re: Artist's Proof on the shelf #72954 12/24/01 12:19 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
But did you know that Bill also collects the # that represents the year the lighthouse was built?

John
I wonder which number Bill has for Great Captains Island? The 1863 (for the 1863 version) or the 1868? Or both?

JULB
Congratulations for a fantastic find. Maybe I will start visiting the different dealers again.
Also, check that same dealer out if he got any other goodies from the sale rep. Harbour Lights sometimes gave out postcards of lighthouses that are to be produced and they were only offered to reps.

Daniel

[This message has been edited by Daniel (edited 12-24-2001).]

DANIEL
Re: Artist's Proof on the shelf #72955 12/24/01 11:51 PM
J
JULB Offline OP
OP Offline
J
flacoastie/Rich

As far as what else they had, one generaly unavailable HL I know for sure that they had was PORT ISABEL (TX) but I don't remember it's number. I honestly became so focused on the AP that I am embarrased to say that I didn't pay much attention to the rest. I do remember they had about 30-40 pieces (fewer than I have) and that they seemed to be a typical mix of current and 1-3 year retired pieces. The few numbers I recall were also typical (in the 1000-4000 range). I honestly don't remember much at all except for the Morris Island AP that I picked up and that they had the Port Isabel (TX). I do have their business card so I'll look them up after the holidays and see if they can give me an inventory. Anyway, thanks for all the support and encouragement for this lucky find ! If I find something of interest that I don't scarf up, I'll post it here or on some appropriate thread. I'll look forward to reading about all the HL's Santa brought all the collectors this year in the post-Xmas forum threads!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all & best regards !

JB
Re: Artist's Proof on the shelf #72956 12/25/01 11:11 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for getting back. I was lucky enough to find an AP about 2 years ago when I was shop hopping. I was in Daytona Beach at one of the shop out of the beaten path looking for unusual finds but wasn't having any luck. All the pieces that they had were normal and I had them already. Something made me look at the Cape Lookout piece that they had in the display case. The reason it caught my eye was as it was sitting on the top shelf of the glass case I did not see the HL sticker on the bottom. When I asked to see the piece and noticed no S/N on the flag I got suspicious. I asked the store employee, who happened to be the owner, and he said that his rep asked him if he wanted this piece to sell as a bonus for his support over the years. No box, no sticker, no certificates, no serial number and no clue at all that it was an AP. I just don't understand owners not knowing their product line. Anyway, on top of the find, the owner told me he had 5 other Cape Lookouts in the back and because he had no box( they don't come with boxes or certificates) that I could have it at 50% off. I didn't hesitate and departed the store fast so he could not change his mind. That was my one and only AP I have been able to find so I know how you feel.

Rich

Rich
Re: Artist's Proof on the shelf #72957 12/25/01 04:08 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great finds and great stories! I have never found an A/P at a store, but I have now and again found low numbers at a store or two. The lowest number that I have ever found was a number "40" (Rose Island) at a store in Tenn. That made my day!!

Re: Artist's Proof on the shelf #72958 12/28/01 02:47 AM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Unbelievable!

Rusty

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 805 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users