Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Collecting w/o devaluing the boxes #72666 02/11/05 01:35 AM
Bigbird Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
I wasn't sure where this actually fit, so I settled on posting here; didn't someone state a few months back that you don't lose value if you break down the boxes and store them flat w/o the styrafoam, as long as you keep the paperwork (which in my instance is just the COA and tent card)? I have to move SOON and don't have room to pack boxes and don't know if they are going to be in storage or if I'll get lucky and find an apartment that I can afford with some more room for my HL's and books (among other things).

My girlfriend seems to think that if I have to move in temporarily with my folks until I can find something and come up with the money for deposits and such (since it's such short notice) that my pieces would be better off at my folk's, but they have not got enough room for an extra 54 lighthouses! Would it hurt them to stay in storage?

Steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: Collecting w/o devaluing the boxes #72667 02/11/05 09:31 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Collapsing the boxes of old, the ones where the HL's came with packing peanuts, was a very acceptable way of saving storage space. Peanuts are peanuts. They have no original value that I know of.

Some people feel that the styrofoam molds are in the same category as packing peanuts. My view is quite contrary to that. I feel it is important to keep the molds. They provide added protection to the pieces in transit and storage. So many of our new pieces have little delicate things attached to them that can be easily broken off if not properly handled. If these pieces are carefully placed in their styrofoam molds you can feel more confident that it they were accidently dropped or mishandled, your piece would survive unscathed.

Do yourself a favor and carefully put your pieces in their plastic bags and return them to the styrofoam molds just the way they originally came to you. If you must store them away from your abode, make sure they are protected from extreme temperature changes or moisture. Climate controlled environments are your friend.

smile Bob smile

Re: Collecting w/o devaluing the boxes #72668 02/11/05 11:28 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob has a very good point about storing in a climate controlled storage area. I wouldn't consider any other storage method. I personaly do not save any foam inserts because of storage problems. I fold up all my boxes and have them stored in Rubber Maid containers. I have over 300 boxes stored in an area that might hold 20 boxes with the foam inserts inside them. If I move I will pack my pieces the old fashion way with peanuts and move them myself. I don't plan on selling my collection and if I would sell the buyers would have to be satisfied with no inserts. Different opinions from different collectors. You will have to made the final decision. But please, if you store. store in a climate controlled storage unit.

Rich
Re: Collecting w/o devaluing the boxes #72669 02/13/05 11:00 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I agree with Bob and Rich, if you are going to store them outside the house definitely store them in a climate control storage area. Especially if you have the early ones. Their paints are water based. The later ones can handle more climate abuse, but no one knows how much for sure.
I personally would keep the Styrofoam insert for the same reason, Bob stated. I also feel that keeping the Styrofoam insert is better for the secondary market. At this time the value difference probably would be insignificant but if I was in the market of buying a lets say a Thomas Point and there were two for sale for the same price. One had the insert and the other didn't, you know what one I would pick.

Now when it comes to peanuts it has always been acceptable to throw the peanuts away and fold the box to store it. In the future I feel that peanuts may even play a rule in the Harbour light collectablity. The style of peanuts has already changed and I don’t think they even make the same exact type as was packed in with the early HL’s. With prices of oil soaring, the peanut packing days may fall to some other sort of packing. Peanuts are all ready expensive for packing, and that alone would make it a good idea to keep them. If you can find the room.

DANIEL
Re: Collecting w/o devaluing the boxes #72670 02/13/05 12:21 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Dan, ...You're right on the money about the cost of packing peanuts. Have any of you gone to a store and bought any lately? I saved around six trash bags full in my attic. I've probably brought another ten bags, over the last few years, to a shipper who recycles them. I give them to the store for free to rid myself of them, then they put them in clear plastic bags and sell them to customers. Such a deal!

I notice my dealer usually ships my HL's surrounded by inflatable plastic bags. I'm sure it is much cheaper to do it that way. Plus it is easier to puncture the bag and throw it away than to have styrofoam peanuts all over the place. Is this the wave of the future?

smile Bob smile

Re: Collecting w/o devaluing the boxes #72671 02/13/05 01:41 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Those little plastic bags are brill! (New British slang, just had to use it.) They are a sturdy cushion, easy to dispose of, and lightweight to save on shipping costs. Those peanuts and inserts can add $$$ to your bill, but not with air!

However, I would think it would be difficult to package HLs with air, due to that same "fragile objects" obstacle Bob was talking about. They do not stay in place as well, and thus, with the box flexing, could snap off your tree or flag or other pointy thing.

But they're great for Amazon purchases! laugh

Re: Collecting w/o devaluing the boxes #72672 02/13/05 07:04 PM
bonnebert Offline
When I collapse the old boxes I put the peanuts in a large trash bag. It helps to reduce the space needed for boxes, as I keep the new styrofoam packing in the boxes and stack them.
However, as the collection builds as we see more and more lights, the room over the garage is getting smaller and smaller.

Joyce

Re: Collecting w/o devaluing the boxes #72673 02/14/05 02:03 AM
Bigbird Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Well my my two options are the storage unit that I'm considering (which I think is climate controlled) or my girlfriend said she'd take as many as 30 (which I don't think she knows what she's getting into) and leave them in a spare room at her house rather than them getting broke or temp extremes. That is if I don't find a place right off.

Also, i received the #317 Portland Head surrounded by paper and those "Brill" so I'll use them for my Old Point Comfort and I believe one other that I received off E-Bay with no styrofoam.

Steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,429 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users