Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Numbers Game; Do you participate? #72653 02/04/07 09:30 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I like numbers, especially when they're on a flag attached to a Harbour Lights product.

Like many of you, my initial collecting involved 4-digit Flag#'s purchased from dealers. I would often ask a dealer if I could look through their stored HL's hoping to find a special number. Most dealers wouldn't let you into their storeroom, and I can't say that I blame them.

How many of you have strained your neck into odd positions trying to read flag#'s from an over-stuffed HL display in a locked glass cabinet? It wasn't easy when the flag#'s were pointing in every direction. Of course it did help if it was a mirrored case like most are.

Do you remember the thrill when you actually came upon a 3-digit flag#? What a hoot! I'll take it!

Finding a 2-digit was basically unheard of in the past. Those rare pieces never made it on to dealer's displays, but now every once in awhile one pops up. What a thrill it must be to find one of those to add to your personal collection.

Are you a numbers person? Does the flag# influence your purchase? Have you bought a duplicate just because it was a special flag#?

confused Bob confused

Re: The Numbers Game; Do you participate? #72654 02/04/07 01:57 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Funny, I never thought the numbers would matter to me. And I still don't think they are the most important factor in a HL purchase.

But now we will very shortly own three two-digits, I am beginning to get excited about them.

I don't think I would hunt them out especially. But given a choice, I'd pick a two-digit over a four-digit.

We were very lucky to get #90 of the new Grand Island East Channel Light. But that was total co-incidence and luck! (And a very nice dealer!!!)

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: The Numbers Game; Do you participate? #72655 02/04/07 06:52 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have never bought any of my HL because of the flag number. I bought them because I wanted the piece. Most are three or four-digit flags. But I was excited with my first two-digit and I have another on the way. So even though I do not buy because of the flag number, it is exciting to get a low number.

Cyndi
Re: The Numbers Game; Do you participate? #72656 02/04/07 07:08 PM
beachcomber Offline
In the days when I had a dealer (just saw another former HL dealer - husband/wife - are closing their shop), I tried to get the lowest number. They were usually high anyway until I purchased Liberty Enlightening the World - #949!! I loved that number and was disappointed when I found a defect in one of the trees and had to call HL about replacing it. I was appalled when they told me to get the dealer to destroy it and send them the flag. I expressed my dismay at losing such a great number but quickly was delighted when they assured me that my new model would retain the number!! vhappy

beachcomber
Re: The Numbers Game; Do you participate? #72657 02/04/07 08:37 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Have around 80 pieces in the basement that have higher numbers than those displayed in the 9 curio cabinets in the living quarters and 4 wall cabinets in my office, so I do purchase duplicates when the number is considerably lower than what I own.

Of the 321 displayed pieces, 70 are double-digits and about half of those are in the teens, with one #11 and twelve #12s.

Re: The Numbers Game; Do you participate? #72658 02/05/07 12:11 AM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
When we first started collecting we took whatever number was on the shelf no questions asked. Then after buying the Green Book we learned about the variations and the differences between made in Canada, made in California, made in Malaysia, etc. After that we started looking at the numbers!

Then we just by chance found a dealer who had a low three digit auto ship available. We where so happy to get this low three digit on every new piece and our dealer even shipped to us free of shipping charges. We
stayed with this dealer for a couple of years. Then we learned about a dealer who had a two digit auto ship available. And we switched dealers to get that low low number. Unfortunately we now paid high shipping charges, but did this for a year or so.

Then again just by chance I happened to visit our old dealer while on a trip in his area and he told me about a new low two digit auto ship that he had available, it being only 7 numbers higher then our present at the time. Well of course I went back to him!

So yes, it is a numbers thing and yes we do play the game!

We love our Dealer and don't plan to ever change again. He has always treated us right. He gives us free shipping, great communication, and the very best in customer appreciation.

THANK YOU, Terry and The Bronze Lady! towel

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: The Numbers Game; Do you participate? #72659 02/05/07 12:42 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
The flag number is secondary when it comes to buying or bidding on a Harbour Lights lighthouse.

I originally didn't care at all, but now I do take some notice.

Going back to the priorities for collecting topic. Area of interest, detail quality, & cost are what mosty determines what I buy and when.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: The Numbers Game; Do you participate? #72660 02/05/07 09:42 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I never really worried about what number I got as long as it was under 1000. Over the 12 years I've been on Autoship my number has gone from 596 to 58. That many dealers have dropped out!

Rich
Re: The Numbers Game; Do you participate? #72661 02/06/07 12:32 AM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I never cared about the numbers. The main thing was to get the pieces I wanted regardless of the number. I have a few two digits and three digits but most are four digits!
Judy

Re: The Numbers Game; Do you participate? #72662 02/06/07 12:17 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I haven't cared about the numbers either. If I saw a piece that I liked and wanted, I bought it regardless of the number.
I was excited to get a 2 digit, but more excited to get another piece that I needed towards completing my Christmas collection. That it was a 2 digit was just an added bonus!

Debbie
Re: The Numbers Game; Do you participate? #72663 02/06/07 04:09 PM
kikigl Offline
I never really cared about the number. as long as I get the ones I want. Maybe that's a mistake, but I'm happy with my colletion. I really can't do auto-ship becaure living in a condo, I don't have the room. I still have some in boxes. I went shopping for a new curio yesterdayIt's quite large and can't wait to get my lights in it. It's probably the last one I'll get because I have no more space.

Kay
Re: The Numbers Game; Do you participate? #72664 02/06/07 05:32 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I was on a quest to get a 2-digit when I first started to collect. vhappy After getting it, it became no big deal! Of course, you always like to get a low number but now it's not that hard. In 2001, there were still all the automatic collectors gobbling up the low numbers.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: The Numbers Game; Do you participate? #72665 02/06/07 08:27 PM
catzb1 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I'm not really into numbers. I would love to have a 2 digit number, but I'm just happy to get the lights I want. Eventually, when I get a few more lights (like ALL of them !) I may decide to replace as many lights as possible for lower edition numbers.

Cathy

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 848 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users