Can you amass a 'complete' collection today? #72079 03/15/99 06:27 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Back in the General Forum, MOMBO asked:
http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/000253.html

Quote:
Actually, posts in other threads got me thinking about new collectors trying to amass every HL made, plus variations. It would appear that this is getting to be near impossible. Just trying to figure out what exactly you're looking at is quite challenging! Unless some of the really rare pieces happen to turn up at a garage sale, it would seem highly unlikely that one could reasonably expect to acquire them all.

Well, of course it's always possible, it just depends on how deep your pockets are. I know of someone who did it in about 2 years. I don't know what that person spent to do it.

If you download Tim's Excellent Excel Spreadheet and use his secondary market values for 1/99 (or 5/98 if no value is shown for 1/99), you can tally up the costs:

Valuing every currently available lighthouse at retail, the total is: $25,806.

Two lighthouses constitute about one-fourth of that amount: Original Cape Hatteras ($4,600) and Coquille River ($2,575)

Another six lighthouses have a market value of over $400 and make up $3,611 of the total. (New Point Loma, Cape Hatteras R2, Portland Head St. Augustine, Hilton Head and the New Point Loma Minature*

So if you're shy of the 8 most costly limiteds, you'll spend about $15,000 in round numbers.

These prices do NOT include variations such as water color or mis-identified flag. One time last year, I figured the "one of everything" value at about $55,000. Some of these sell for $2,500-$4,500.

So you can see that making the leap into the variations thing can cause you to need a second mortgage.

As I pointed out some time ago, the NUMBER of different lighthouses available is going make it more likely that individuals will set limits or goals for their collecting. Perhaps Great Lakes or Atlantic Coast or Oregon only. With a limited goal you'll have to decide if you want to acquire the most expensive ones in your region or whether you also want to collect the variations.

The important thing is to set a goal that's within your finances and stick with it.

John

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 03-15-99).]

Re: Can you amass a 'complete' collection today? #72080 03/15/99 10:45 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Those are some pretty big numbers, John. Guess at some point those "hand-touched mini Point Fermins" will up the ante considerably!

Costs aside, the effort required is something that most of us pee witts can't/won't expend. Personally, I'll stick with my limited collecting and let the senior wackos enjoy the fruits of their labors.

Carmen Miranda

Re: Can you amass a 'complete' collection today? #72081 03/16/99 12:03 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
When I first started collecting HLs in September of 1997, I had no intention of trying to get them all. The turning point for me was the reunion in Providence, Rhode Island, last fall.

Now I'm missing only 11 limited editions, one of which should arrive tomorrow, and one other I should close the deal on this week. So that leaves nine LEs to go. They are Cape Hatteras HL 102, Burrows Island HL108, Coquille River HL 111, Portland Head HL 125, Ponce de Leon HL 132, Key West HL 134, Ocracoke Island HL 135, Hilton Head HL 136, and St. Augustine HL 138.

Some serious collectors might say you don't have them all unless you have the two CHs and the two Assateagues, and the green water pieces that are variations of the identical blue water pieces. I have a difference of opinion on that point.

I visited every dealer I could to find these pieces. I faithfully follow eBay and have purchased numerous HLs there. I've purchased HLs through the Market Place on the Forum. I've purchased HLs through the now defunct AOL Board (still exists but fails to function thanks to the efforts of the AOL Police.). I've been offered wonderful deals on missing pieces through fellow collectors who frequent this board. My latest ploy is to find HLs at deals and try to arrange a 2-for-1 swap that can benefit both myself and the person who is willing to make the swap.

If you feel the need to "get them all" just start "wheelin' + dealin' " whenever you can. Is it expensive? I would have to say, yes. Is it an impossibility? I would definitely say, no. Look for the oldies before they disappear. Visit every dealer you can and look the stock over good. A perfect example is my find of HL 101 Admiralty Head about a month ago. I had visited this dealer at least 5 or 6 times over the last few months. Suddenly, there was HL 101 on the shelf for retail. Needless to say, I didn't have any second thoughts about that purchase.

If you enjoy collecting HLs you can have a lot of fun hunting them down. Purchase what you can and stay within your budget. As time goes by you will be surprised on how large your collection can get in a short period of time. Sooner or later you may find you do have them all except for the "really big-buck pieces". Then make sure you attend the Harbour Lights Reunions where you may get lucky and win a piece you could never have afforded otherwise.

My HL collecting is starting to lead me down different paths. Perhaps I will get lucky and find one or two of my missing nine LEs at a decent price. You never know what you might find until you look.

The search goes on......and on.......and on!

<^>

Re: Can you amass a 'complete' collection today? #72082 03/16/99 12:49 AM
N
NvrEnufHL Offline
N
My parents started collecting in 1996 and have aquired every piece since then. After looking at these amazing little replicas I became interested and when they gave me a Navesink for my birthday I became hooked. My job within the collection is to track down (at reasonable prices) the 21 missing pieces (all earlier than #146) and variations. I think I got the better part of this deal. Granted the pieces I find are not displayed in my home (I have bought 11 pieces for myself that do remain there) BUT the FUN is in the shopping/trading once you get in to the game. The best part of all this is you are joining a brotherhood!! I have met some of the local collectors and regularly talk with a collector on the other side of the country. Noone on this site has been anything other than helpful even though I know they have heard my questions dozens of times before (thanks to all of you). My parents attended reunions 97 and 98 and do not have a slightly negative thing to say about anyone they have met. They still speak very highly of Nancy whom the got to know and of the entire Harbour lights clan. I guess my point is: The lighthouses will lure you into Wackodom but it is the Wackos that make it a nice place to be. Can I obtain all that the collection lacks I do not know
I HOPE SO
But it is going to be fun trying.

BUY ON

Tucker

Re: Can you amass a 'complete' collection today? #72083 03/16/99 01:32 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Quote:
Valuing every currently available lighthouse at retail, the total is: $25,806.

If you were able to buy one of everything at its original retail price the tab would come to approximately $10,812.00. That includes the LEs, Reunion Pieces, Christmas editions, Society pieces, Belles Spyglass set, Event pieces, and Ornaments. Not including Society 'Gifts'. And not including LE varietals (blue waters, tan towers, etc.) And of course it doesn't include GLOWs.

Fwiw, I started collecting in the Fall of 1995 when I received Old Mackinac Point as a gift from my Dad. I didn't start being very knowledgeable about my hobby until the late Spring of 1996. At present I've been able to acquire all the 5500 series except Coquille. There are a few of the more recent 9500/10000 series I still need - none retired. With the help of trades and below retail purchases my purchase price for my entire collection is within $200 of original retail. Adding in the pieces I haven't bought yet at full retail puts me about $1000 over the total original retail purchase price. I figure thats not too bad for starting 4 years late.

The point is I believe you can still acquire them all or almost all at a reasonable cost. You must be persistent, and on the watch for good prices. That means you need to know the market and the relative value of pieces. The spreadsheet contains alot of the information you need. There is an ton more information available to the collector today than there was just a couple years ago.

I'll continue to endorse the theory that your dollars should first go towards the oldest non-retired pieces and those retired models you can afford. While the new models in the 9500/10000 series are very attractive and compelling, many many of these will still be available at retail this time next year and the year after that. And many of the older pieces will be harder to find and/or higher in price. This is not to say you shouldn't buy what you want to buy, but there are intelligent ways to go about acquisition that will cost you less in the long run.

Building a collection takes time and patience. Don't discount the possibility that next month or next Fall or whenever, you may be bitten by the Wacko bug and decide to go for them all. Trust me this *can* happen to you. :-) At that point you may wish you'd gotten some of the older pieces that were still available before you made this decision.

Alot of the issues surrounding what to acquire first have been discussed in this very forum. Read the 'Factoid #11' entries to get a good start on these. And don't hesistate to ask 'should I buy XXX or YYY' type questions. Check Sean's 'Top 34' thread and Retired@Retail.

Once again, I'll close by entreating all you newbies to go sign up for a Hillsborozilla with your dealer - do this today. Join the Collector's Society today and make sure you get a FYAM and 7 Foot Troll. Right now there is something of a buyers market - take advantage of it while its here.

Shine On Brightly,
__
/im

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 03-15-99).]

Re: Can you amass a 'complete' collection today? #72084 03/16/99 02:20 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Now that I've gotten everybody all fired up again, I'll go off quietly into the night.......but I'll be baaaack.....

Re: Can you amass a 'complete' collection today? #72085 03/16/99 10:37 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
The end of the thrill of the hunt would almost make having the entire collection a disapointment.
I guess you could always give it away and start over.LOL

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 03-16-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Can you amass a 'complete' collection today? #72086 03/16/99 04:15 PM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
Not planning on giving my collection away yet, but am making a list ( and checking it twice ) of those that are interested in being recipients.

The Ancient Mariner (who hasn't lost All of his marbles, YET)

Re: Can you amass a 'complete' collection today? #72087 03/16/99 10:29 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
"Can you amass a 'complete' collection today?"

I don't know the answer to that question right now, but get back to me in a few years and I'll let you know!!!

I am to the point where there are only a few I need at retail. Everything else I need is around $180 and up. Luckily I was able to puchase quite a few of the 5500's at retail, or slightly above retail. The Southern Belles minus Tybee and of course Hatteras & Coquille are my next big hurdles. Let the wheeling & dealing begin!

-Todd

[This message has been edited by Todd Shorkey (edited 03-16-99).]

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,420 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users