Print Thread
Hillsborozilla #71858 12/07/98 02:55 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Nine and a half inches. That's the rumored size of the AABNR 1999 Hillsboro, Florida model.

To give you an idea, thats about the height of HL#132, Ponce de Leon, which lists at 9"x6". That'd make Hillsboro the tallest HL model in the entire line-up.

Hillsboro is a metal tower similar to Sanibel. The actual light is 145 feet tall (1740 inches). Assuming roughly ½ inch for the model's base, that gives us a scale of ~1:193. I haven't been able to find enough info on the real light to get the dimensions of the tower structure - specifically, how far apart are its legs where they meet the ground. If we knew this we could get an approximation of the size of the new model.

The Sanibel model is ~6¼" tall, the real light is 102 feet high. That gives us a scale of ~1:212. Smaller in scale, but kinda close to the same as we're guessing for Hillsboro.

Even though HL has been known to take liberties with relative scale, I'm thinking Hillsboro should be pretty darn big, especially if, as rumored, outbuildings are included. A base as large as 10-12 inches at its widest - larger? If I'm anywhere close, it'll be big.

If you think about it, HL probably has no where to go but larger. Those pesky GLOWs are almost the same size as LE's. While I suppose HL could make a model smaller than a GLOW and call it a Special Edition, it wouldn't be eye-catcher that Hillsborozilla surely will be. On the other hand, a smaller scale with more outbuildings, water, etc. could be done in the same area (length/width) as a GLOW or LE.

Personally I'd prefer a line of models about 1½-2 times the size of a mini (And think thats where GLOWs - if we must have them - should have been all along.) HL has obviously demonstrated their ability to do tremendous detailing of smaller models - so a smaller scale model would still be very attractive. The mini's, ornaments, spyglass, and thumbnails attest to that. (A smaller scale could also mean less money spent on display cabinets leaving more for models - for dealers and collectors alike. lol) But introducing models larger than minis but smaller than GLOWs at this point in time could possibly confuse collectors (and dealers) even further and also not warrant a higher price tag.

No doubt Hillsboro will be a treat - never underestimate HL - they goof up occasionally on the periphery (700 people in a lobster pot) - but the models are always spot on - and keeping getting beter.

So whattya think? A few bigguns in the display case cause any problems? (Remember we're also looking at ~40% higher price as well.) What if they introduce 1 or 2 'Special Editions' each year. Should they be larger? Is a bigger model a bigger happiness?

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: Hillsborozilla #71859 12/07/98 03:39 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

Looks like just when you thought you knew where HL was headed and we could kibbitz and relax, they up and do something that excites even old crusty collectors like Tim and I and others I've spoken with.

Tune in Tuesday - should have a picture up of Hillsboro by then.

John [wearing his collector hat]

[Tim that 1:212 - is that close to O Scale? Maybe I could get out my old Lionel set and do a layout around Hillsboro?]

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 12-07-98).]

Re: Hillsborozilla #71860 12/07/98 05:05 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J

>>Maybe I could get out my old Lionel set and do a layout around Hillsboro?<<

Chuckle. We could call it "Hillsboro Junction". Now all you need is Arnold the stuffed beaver

Rgds,
Zsa Zsa

Re: Hillsborozilla #71861 10/01/02 01:30 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Now you know how 'Zilla got its name...

Some people have life size ceramic spaniels in their living room.
Just for grins, I'd like HL to make a model that was 2-3 feet tall.

How 'bout you... want more Bigguns?

__
/im

Re: Hillsborozilla #71862 10/01/02 06:38 PM
lhlover Offline
I personally hope that Harbour Lights doesn't come out with bigger Lighthouses. The bigger the HL gets, the more room it will take up on my shelves, but instead of wide, it will be height. I would have to move my shelving down, which would compromise the height of all my other shelves. Plus I would hate to see the price tag on the 3-4 foot lighthouse

BJE wink

BonnieJean
bjexum@floridalighthouses.org
Visit: www.floridalighthouses.org
Re: Hillsborozilla #71863 10/05/02 02:43 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bah Hum Bug ! Boo Hiss on large scale lighthouses. I'm not very fond of the Lionel scale Turkey Point, MD LE either...... The darn house is too big!!!

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: Hillsborozilla #71864 10/07/02 03:43 PM
kikigl Offline
I might like one large size to put on my patio but that would be it.

Kay
Re: Hillsborozilla #71865 10/07/02 06:13 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Are we talking tall here or large? I don't have a real problem with tall as long as the footprint isn't huge like some of this year's models. Boone Island is pretty tall, as it should be. It's wide but sort of narrow. The really broad and heavy hillamonsters, no.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,375 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users