Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71832 08/21/04 11:15 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I finally completed an inventory of my HL collection. I figure I must have checked almost every piece in my possession except for a shopping bag full of Christmas ornies.

Granted, I have many duplicates of lights I purchased from eBay and store closeouts. So I have many more HL's than the average guy or gal with a large collection of one each.

I decided to price each and every piece at retail and add them up to see what all the HL's in possession would cost if each one was purchased at retail pricing. Coquille at retail, all the Southern Belles at retail, Burrows at retail, New Point Loma at retail, etc.

When the calculator totaled up, I was quite surprised to find that if I sold every Harbour Lights I own at retail, and threw in all the 50 or so Christmas ornies for free, I would have to ask $29,408. It's amazing how much money you can spend to collect these wonderful little sculptures.

Has anyone else ever priced out their collection? Just imagine if the more valuable pieces were priced at what I paid for them. Needless to say, a considerable investment.

smile Bob smile

Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71833 08/21/04 11:36 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I was keeping a running total on a spread sheet from the beginning of my collecting until about a year and a half ago. I did this with retail, purchase price, and current value in order to keep my addiction realistic. As well as keeping a checklist, it gave me an awakening of what I was getting into. It also is an historical summary of my collection as I also recorded when, where and how much I bought each piece. The most interesting part is my priority in collecting and how it changed as I reached each plateau. Early years 1) all the ornament, all the Christas pieces, all the collectors pieces, all the local lhs, all the NE lhs, all the east coast lighthouse,etc, When I reached the Southern Belles which I thought were always going to be untouchable, well...
Now, it's not such a big deal to find & collect but back starting in August of '98 , it was a challenge to find, acquire and afford this obsession. You just couldn't go on Ebay. You had to find this site(and it's predecessor), visit dealers, find dealers on the Internet, exchange info and finds with other collectors, etc.
My latest quest is looking for a Boone Island which I somehow missed on a timed retirement. Just started so still looking for a below retail. I'm sure I can find one at a local reliable store at retail but have not gotten there yet.
Oh the memories wink ,
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71834 08/21/04 12:38 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Interesting thoughts from two Bobs.

Bob McKeon - how many pieces does that $29K represent? What is the average you would have spent had you bought them at retail?

And, continuing the 'what if...' of buying each at retail, if you had started in 1991 when Harbour Lights did, you would have spent an average of $2,100 per year or $175 a month.

Is that a reasonable amount to spend on a 'hobby' of collecting? If you were a smoker, it would have been about a pack-and-a-half a day.

There was a time when spending on Harbour Lights for me was 'a bit' out of control. But the priceless part of the addiction is not the collection, but the friends I've made since 'discovering' Harbour Lights in July of 1996 at the Monadock gift shop in Mackinaw City Michigan. You can't put a price tag on the trips to lighthouses with friends, the friendships made through the original AOL lighthouses board, later these forums, the 'Reunions', a few regionals and store events. Was all that worth whatever was spent on HLs, and lighthouse travels? Absolutely!

I have been fortunate that the interest in Harbour Lights and lighthouses has created some income as well as great friends and memories. I wouldn't do it any other way if I could go back to July 1996 and had the choice to simply walk past the gift shop.

Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71835 08/21/04 12:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have kept up with my collection since I started, price, date, where purchased, number of piece. I also kept a second list that was in order of release by HL, which also had notations for Canadian, green water, lightning rod, or any other differences.

I had added up my total investment a few years back and I was also in the same $ neighborhood as you Bob, but my HL purchases have slowed to a trickle over the last couple years.

Mark

Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71836 08/21/04 09:56 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm not quite at your total Bob M but I'm at a pack of cigarettes a day if I would have started in 91. I don't have the extras that you have and I'm still trying to sell off the extras by the end of 2005 when I give up buying them all. I'll settle for the Florida and special event pieces only plus Christmas and Society Pieces.

Rich
Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71837 08/22/04 02:26 AM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
It's amazing how much money you can spend to collect these wonderful little sculptures.
There's just no way I could ever add up my collection at retail price and come anywhere near what I have spent. True I have gotten some really good deals on Ebay, many in fact. But when you factor in the HIGH priced Secondary Market pieces that I have bought.

On an average I would say that HL's retail at say around $80. each. Most at about $60. but then you factor in the $99.'s and the $125.'s and lets not forget the Navasink that retailed for $245.

I have bought many on Ebay for around $30. some even less. But I also have many pieces that I paid $300 to $500. each. And lets not forget that infernos HL111 Coquille River, it retailed for only $60. and I paid $2,000. for the one that I have.

So again I say, NO WAY could I figure my collection at retail and come anywhere close! Now ask me if I would do it all again....... YOU BETCHA I WOULD!!! laugh

But then I also want to cry every time I see one sell on ebay for say $50. when it's a piece I paid well over a hundred for. mad mad

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71838 08/23/04 12:40 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
What Shortcake wrote could have just as easily been written by me. I keep a list – it started on a slip of paper that I carried in my wallet. Now it’s in Excel (Arial Black – 10 point Font) and would take 21 pieces of paper if I were to print it out.

I have never run a total summation of my costs – which would be easy enough to do. But I only paid $1400 for Coquille River. I really don’t want to know my total cost. Having already endured a quadruple heart by-pass, I figure knowing total expenditures would just about do me in.

But I've got to stay alive for the 2005 Reunion if there is one. This hobby/obsession/uncontrollable addiction is probably why I drive a ten-year-old automobile, live like a pauper, buy day old bread, read my neighbor’s newspaper and pick up coins on the sidewalk. WOULD I DO IT AGAIN?

YOU BET I WOULD!!!!!!!!!!! Shortcake, if you cry for me I'll cry for you.

Bob

Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71839 08/24/04 11:28 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Bob McKeon - how many pieces does that $29K represent? What is the average you would have spent had you bought them at retail?
Whew! That might take some time, JC. It took me long enough just to do the inventory. I just received two more yesterday with super low flag#'s and I have two more coming later next week. I'm also expecting more re my autoship from my dealer. This will push my current total over thirty grand.

Maybe one of our super-ambitious forum members might go to the HL web site and total the retail value of each year's releases by using the "tables" for each year. I started to do it but kept getting interrupted so I gave up for now.

Would someone be willing to list the retail value of LE's for each year from 1991 to the present? You could add the GLOW's, Society pieces, ornies, reunion pieces etc. if you wish. Then everyone will realize how expensive it was and is to keep a complete collection.

smile Bob smile

Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71840 08/25/04 02:16 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
For Society pieces you recieve for joining, should the price be $0.00 or the price of your membership? I think membership price would be correct.

Robert

Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71841 08/25/04 03:14 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I would go with Society membership cost, Robert, as that was what you paid to get the "freebie".

Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71842 08/25/04 03:38 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Don't the membership pieces have values? I think they have them in the ads. That would be what I would go with. I'm pretty sure they even say "Retail Value".

Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71843 08/25/04 03:51 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
The HL Product History lists all the retail prices. The latest printed version I have ends with the Clark's Point piece but it seems that this info is now listed somewhere on the HL site?

The Society redemption pieces have a retail value but I'd also go with the membership price for the "freebie" lighthouse. Back a while ago when the single year membership price was $30 I do recall reading in the HL ads something about the "retail value" of the smaller lighthouse. Since I've been collecting it seems to have risen from $30 to $60. $60 is kind of high, imo for the smaller pieces. But then this year's piece is much larger.

I'd still not value these pieces any more than $30 or so, especially since they've had some pretty high edition numbers, i.e. 26,748 for the Baltimore piece in '99, yikes! Edition sizes for '00 & '01 were less, but still 20,000 in '01.

Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71844 08/25/04 04:13 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Mombo is correct
Harbour lights did quote the value as $60
But I think retail would be what you paid for it.
$30 laugh

DANIEL
Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71845 09/14/04 04:02 PM
J
Jo Ann/Texas Offline
J
We are in this group also. My problem is the storages of HL boxes. I have them in an air conditioned storage and could have bought more HL's for what I am spending to cool the boxes. wink

Jo Ann/Texas
Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71846 09/14/04 04:12 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Jo Ann,

Storage is a problem in Texas. Especially since you probably don't have a basement. When I first started collecting, I had a two bedroom apartment in Houston. No bed in the second bedroom. Just HL boxes. At least I didn't have to worry about any decorations on the walls or drapes over the windows.

Bob

Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71847 09/15/04 12:39 AM
Dick Johnson Offline
I have really enjoyed these postings, as I do most that deal with addicted collectors. As I remember this subject came up earlier when someone was trying to establish a tracking method and there were many great suggestions. I personally use the standard, an Excel spreadsheet. The main reason for that is the ease of calculating, flexibility of entry, and the fact that HL accepts Excel as a way to register your collection. I currently track 20 pieces of data on each piece, and have broken them into 4 major areas.

I also am always scared to view the bottom line of the investment and understand why the insurance premium goes up each year. John's analysis of the monthly investment puts a pretty good perspective on why my VISA is always more than I budget for. I can also relate to the storage problem and still have not found a good way to store the boxes in a small footprint, although I will think about my addiction before renting an air conditioned storage space, as this would probably make my wife officially commit me to the Bill Younger institute for compulsive collectors addicted to lighthouses. Actually this might be a new revenue source for HL and have a good theraputic value by having all addicted collectors stand up a a reunion and say I proud to be a Wacko and I'll double the bid on the current piece in the auction.

Bottom line if you want to be an HL collector you don't need to always look at the $'s invested, but the intangable reward from the collection. I look at my collection every day in some respect or another. If one has to be addicted it is a lot cheaper than drugs, has a longer term value (I hope), builds good relationships, has daily enjoyment, and brings a purpose to the term collecting for personal enjoyment. If I have to make a decision on whether to collect or not based on the spreadsheet of my investment, I choose to stop using the spreadsheet. Ignorance is bliss.

Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71848 09/15/04 04:32 AM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Insured my collection for $20,000 a couple of years ago, after spending some time gathering $ figures from my inventory. The insurer adds 10% annually on our policy so I'm comfortable that added pieces are covered as well.

I've knocked down all boxes and store them in three oversized boxes (comforters came in the originals) in HL numerical order, not by name, in our attic. That makes it simpler to find each sculpture's box. The styrofoam inserts are labeled and stored in large clear plastic bags--again in numerical order. HL makes it easier now to identify the styrofoam inserts as they emboss the edition number on the insert. Older inserts did not have any identification numbers and if you didn't think to label it, you had major problems trying to locate the proper insert. I have one rogue that I won't discard, but have no idea which box it fits!! Maybe I'll get lucky when I'm packing them up for the move to another house in the Fall. My inventory includes an indication as to whether the piece came with a styrofoam insert and I'm hoping to match the rogue with the correct box with that information.

Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71849 09/29/04 04:37 PM
kikigl Offline
When I first started collecting Harbour Lights, I
kept a record of each one but I haven't done it for the last year and a half. Either too busy,
or too lazy, I guess. I really don't want to know!
I have just about decided that I am going to get rid of the styrofoam packing so that I can store the boxes flat.
I live in a condo and my large walk-in closet is
filled with Harbour Lights boxes and it's getting to the point where I have to do something. Clothes or boxes have to go!

Kay
Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71850 09/29/04 04:49 PM
kikigl Offline
I had insurance on my collection but it keep going
up in price so I dropped the coverage.
Big Mistake!!
We have had too many destructive visitors this year---Charlie, Ivan, Frances and Jeanne!
They weren't too hard on our area of Florida, but
there could be a next time.

Kay
Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71851 10/11/04 05:02 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I'm sure I can't hold a candle to most of ya'll's collections, but I can relate to the room (and money issue as I started in '97 at an in store signing with Bill as not only did I like the pieces and was slowly getting into the lighthouse visiting scene (a mild visit in Maine in '96), so I picked the original GLOW piece of Portland Head since we had been there, it was cheaper than most other pieces on hand that day, and it was something to say that "I'd been at the event. About 2 or 3 years later after a trip to MI, I found a 40% off sale of retired HL's at that same dealer and bought a Gand Traverse for myself and a Point Betsie for my gilfriend. 2 that owned and 2 that I'd seen. Eventually, I'd decide that it was too expensive (and hard to find) every one that we'd seen, and then there's the matter of room (an efficiency type apartment eek ), so did join he society in I guess 2002 (Hatteras Beacon) but still didn't want to spend the money on the membership pieces. So last year, I bought the Christmas piece around Thanksgiving and since then I've bought a few regular riced pieces, some at 40% off, some at the now 50% off and a couple reduced via the internet to where I have a grand total of 24 (of which 3 are GLOWS - Portland Head, Assateague and Tybee) not counting the membership freebies or the 3 I bought for my girlfriend or 2 for my step-dad for Chritmas presents). :p

BTW, I somewhat have decided that the best collection in my situation will be a good representative sampling of one from each of the 31 states that have lights (except I've already broken that an extra 1 from MI and 2 from CN eek )

Thanks for letting me ramble,
Steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71852 10/11/04 05:11 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Careful Steve. Sounds like you're hooked!

Bert laugh

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71853 10/11/04 05:27 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Kay,

One advantage to living up north is the fact that many people are lucky enough to have basements. That's where I store my Harbour Light boxes. Unfortunately that's not the case in Florida. When I lived in Texas I had a spare bedroom that had no bed - just boxes.

You could always:

1. Purchase a larger condo.
2. Rent a small storage facility.
3. Knock a hole in the wall and use your neighbor's space.

Trashing the styrofoam packing is not the end of the world.

Bob

Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71854 10/11/04 05:30 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Steve,

I hate to tell you, but the Harbour Light lighthouses are not made to be thrown around. Maybe buy a soft ball instead?

Bob

Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71855 10/11/04 05:45 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Did I miss something or is it the wireless keyboard? confused confused

I guess you were referring to the "broken" part as in broken that "promise to myself" of buying only one per the 31 states; or am I getting computer lag?? :rolleyes:

No sir, the most these puppys have gotten tossed is by the UPS/PO except when I had them in a box with packing peanuts to take to the signing last year. eek Well, not really tossed, just alot more movement than I cared for. wink

Steve

Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71856 10/11/04 05:52 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
SEEEEEEE, must be a little computer lag!! The signing was THIS year; all I have to do is read my own post! :rolleyes: I didn't have a third piece until after Thanksgiving of last year!! This year was the signing! cool

Steve (trying to look cool so I won't seem too big a dummy)

Re: After inventory numbers quite surprising... #71857 10/11/04 09:41 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Steve,

YOU knew what you said. I didn't. Too little sleep to fully comprehend and too old to let the information sink in.

Bob

Bob

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users