cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What to Buy Today - Recommendations From Fellow Collectors #71614 01/05/99 12:59 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Let's say you are a new collector who's made the committment to start collecting Harbour Lights seriously. (Or you are seriously in need to being committed.)

You've got a plan for starting and a budget of $1,500 to start your collection. Of course you'd like to buy each piece for the lowest possible price, but you will pay secondary prices for some of your pieces -- especially if the retired piece is hard to find and likely to increase in value. I don't know your plan (Great Lakes, Atlantic Coast, towers, etc.)

What should your strategy be? And which ones should you buy? Strategy?
1. Create a strategy
2. Decide what you want to collect (Great Lakes, CA & OR, New England, etc.)
3. Make a list
4. Set a budget
5. Buy ones on your list that are available at retail and are retired 1 year ago or longer.
6. Figure which ones retired over a year, no longer are found at retail, and are due for a secondary price jump and buy those
7. Watch for new issues that are going to be sold out on issue.

All you 'experienced' collectors out there - let's help the newbies out. Make your list, show your values and sources and logic. I'll finish my list in a day or two, but for starters:

1. Hillsboro Inlet $125 - retail -- get on some dealer's list right now or you'll be paying double before a year is out.

2. Cape Henry VA $82 (retail) - getting hard to find check Retired@Retail first

3. Cape Florida $78 (retail) - ditto Cape Henry

4. Morris Island Then & Now Set $150 (retail) - you'll be sorry you didn't buy this pair at retail a year or so from now.

5. Point Arena CA $165 (approx secondary)- Not widely dispersed yet; but once it is, you'll really wish you'd gotten one when they were this cheap!

OK so I've spent $600 so far, $900 to go...

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 01-05-99).]

Re: What to Buy Today - Recommendations From Fellow Collectors #71615 01/05/99 06:00 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Add to John's LIST
Chatham
Thomas Point
Sanibel Island
Rose Island (society) 1/4/99
CapeCanaveral
Currituck
- all available at retail in September

Assateague
Boston Harbor
Nauset Beach
- average at 150@ in October

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 01-06-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: What to Buy Today - Recommendations From Fellow Collectors #71616 01/05/99 06:45 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
You want to be a serious wacko and attempt to collect them all. First things first! If you are going to be a serious wacko, you need to join the Collectors Society and order the Society Piece. Cost for both- $110

With that done, take John's advice and order a Hillsboro, FL 'nuff said Cost $125

You want to make a few more purchases before dabbling in the secondary market, so you buy at retail:
Cape Florida, FL
Rose Island, RI (REXM)
Sanibel, FL
Cape May, NJ (my sleeper pick)

Total for the four- $353

Now that you are feeling more confident, you test the waters of the secondary market, e-bay, ect. There you find:

Cape Canaveral, FL & Alcatraz, CA
You can't go wrong with the Rock and The Rocket. Cost- approx. $240

Point Fermin, CA Cost- approx. $180

Point Arena, CA Cost- approx. $160 Low price/big potential

Thomas Point, MD & Assateague, VA
Just to round things out at approx. $275 for both.

As good a start as any at $1,453

Why not throw in a Sunken Rock, NY for $40

Total $1,493

-Todd (I never said I knew what I was talking about)

Re: What to Buy Today - Recommendations From Fellow Collectors #71617 01/05/99 11:43 PM
R
Rich Boyes Offline
R
I'd suggest moving fast to acquire a White Shoal - Christmas '97 ($80 and still available at retail with a little work). This is a truly distinctive piece with an 8,000 edition size.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 828 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users