cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Traveling to Toronto #71251 03/05/07 11:18 AM
Lighthouse Joe Offline OP
OP Offline
I will be traveling to Toronto in late March to see a lacrosse game or two (Rochester the next day). I know of most of the lights from Sodus Point to the lights around Buffalo. We want to see a few lights in and around Toronto. Toronto, Queen's Wharf and Gibraltar lights I know of. Any other I should try to see?

Did I mention we are driving up from Philadelphia and we will have 2 beagles with us?

Lighthouse Joe

Re: Traveling to Toronto #71252 03/05/07 11:48 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Did I mention we are driving up from Philadelphia and we will have 2 beagles with us?
This is a little off the title of this thread, but how do you find traveling with your dogs? Do you stay at "pet friendly" hotel/motels? Do you crate them in your room or do the hotel/motels force you to utilize their kennel (if they have one).

An inquiry from a fellow pet person with two furry sons...

smile Bob smile

Re: Traveling to Toronto #71253 03/05/07 11:59 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Not too familiar with Ontario lighthouses, but im sure there has to be some, probably look similiar to those in Michigan. Only one I know of is Cove Island.

For non-lighthouse stuff in Toronto:
There's the Hockey Hall of Fame & the glass floor up in the CN Tower.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Traveling to Toronto #71254 03/05/07 01:44 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Joe, here are threads from a trip I.O. and I took in the summer of '02. Don't know your route or if you have time for all of this, or even want to, but maybe some of it will be of help.

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000488

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000489

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000491

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000492#000000
http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000493

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000495

Re: Traveling to Toronto #71255 03/05/07 01:51 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Joe, several years ago we took a day trip over from Niagara Falls area returning at Buffalo. There are several nice lights that can be seen without too much trouble along the way. From Fort Niagara in the US you can see the Niagara Range Lights on the Canadian side. We visited the Port Dalhousie range lights, the Burlington Main light and Oakville on the Lake Ontario shore.

We didn't go as far as Tronto, but there is Gibraltar Point (oldest light in existence on the GL) and also Queen's Wharf which is no longer waterside but looks like a very interesting light.

There are also some pretty easy to visit or view lights on the south shore (Lake Erie).

If you do not have Penrose's book on the Eastern GL it is well worth the $15 investment. If you need one, you can obtain it from GLLKA via their web site (GLLKA.com) or by calling them at 231-436-5580. The Penrose set of books is probably the best help you can have for lighthousing on the GL.

Re: Traveling to Toronto #71256 03/05/07 04:38 PM
Lighthouse Joe Offline OP
OP Offline
We are considering visiting Gibralter Light. Its a ferry ride to the island and a 30 minute walk to it. Problem is the ferry is on a winter schedule and returns over two housr later. Toronto light is out at the end of a 3 mile spit. A very exposed walk for all involved. Queen's Wharf I can find. Burlington Main we can see on the way to Roch. But Oakville is on a private yacht club that will be closed at that time. My wife has an issue with "private property". Even if I get permission ahead of time.

We will see what we can see.

------------------------

Bob M,

My two travel quite well, considering my oldest is 11, partially paralyzed, epileptic, and now has Leukemia. So kennels are out of the question as well as air travel.

We have stayed over night at Red Roof Inns and Residence Inns. We have not left dogs unattended in those hotels. Check to see what the dog room cleaning fee is before you book.

We have driven to Orlando (16 hours straight) and stayed 4 nights at the Portofino Hotel on Universal Studios property. They (the dogs) were treated very well by the staff. They are allowed to stay in the room unattended. They even have Doggie Room Service and a several puppy-sitting services. They have a nice open area to walk the dogs and the occasional baggie stand and can. If the dogs make too much noise while being left alone, supposedly security will move them to the kennels. Univ. Stud. has a kennel on site, we were not fond of it, but others highly recommend it. There is also the Hard Rock Hotel and the Royal Pacific, they too are dog friendly with similar puppy amenities.

We will be taking the to Niagara Falls.

Lighthouse Joe

Re: Traveling to Toronto #71257 03/05/07 05:31 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Joe it seamed to take us way more than 30 minutes to walk to Gibraltar Point from Harlan's Point. If you are going with a partially paralyzed dog I don't know how long it would take. Can dogs go on the ferry? When we were there it was very hot. In late March who knows how it would be? There are lots of trees on the island but there wouldn't be leaves on them when you go. And there wasn't anything on the way as far as shelter. Maybe a restroom but once again that was summer, who knows in March if that would even be open?

We had absolutely no problem seeing the Oakville light. You can see it from the parking lot if you are reluctant to enter the yacht club. (See my comments and directions in the third link above.)

The lighthouse in Burlington has a preservation group now, since '03.

http://www.inform.hamilton.ca/details.asp?RSN=71178&Number=29

See my comment about finding this place too.

Re: Traveling to Toronto #71258 03/05/07 05:54 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Like Mombo, we had no problems with Oakville. I tend to be sensitive to going on other's property but when we were there (on an Easter Sunday) there were a few people there working on their boats and I was able to walk to a spot to get decent pictures without any problems or getting into anyone's way.

Re: Traveling to Toronto #71259 03/05/07 08:22 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,229 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users