cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
LIGHTHOUSES OF THE BRITISH ISLES #71218 10/06/07 03:02 PM
ktamlin Offline OP
OP Offline
I need some help from my learned fourm friends My wife and I are taking a cruise next July and want to know if there will be any lighthouses that we might pass. The itinerary is as follows.
Leave Southhampton, England, Le Havre, France, Falmouth, England, Cork, Dublin, and Belfast, Ireland, Glasgow, Inverness, and Edinburg, Scotland, Amsterdam, and Zeebrugge, Belgim.
Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

John & Karen
Re: LIGHTHOUSES OF THE BRITISH ISLES #71219 10/06/07 04:37 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by ktamlin:
I need some help from my learned fourm friends My wife and I are taking a cruise next July and want to know if there will be any lighthouses that we might pass. The itinerary is as follows.
Leave Southhampton, England, Le Havre, France, Falmouth, England, Cork, Dublin, and Belfast, Ireland, Glasgow, Inverness, and Edinburg, Scotland, Amsterdam, and Zeebrugge, Belgim.
Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.
John,

I did a similar cruise in July 2006 and got to see many lighthouses that I didn't expect to see.

Here's where you can probably see some lighthouses-

Cork- assuming you go into the harbor at Cobh there are several that you can see from the ship on the way into or out of port. We took an excursion to Kinsale on this day and there is a lighthouse you might see if your bus makes a stop at Charles fort to see the town and harbor.

Dublin- same here. there are 5-6 lighthouses that should be on view on the way into or out of port. If you're lucky you'll get a lighthouse right beneath your stateroom like Esther and I did in Dublin.

Belfast- didn't see any on the way in or out but check to see if the ship does an excursion to Donagadee. the Celebrity ship we were on did an excursion that included some abbeys in the area and stopped in the town of donaghadee for an irish coffe. It just so happens that there is a lighthouse right outside the pub there.

Glasgow- We hired a cab and actually manged to get a bit of a tour of the grounds and the keepers house of the cloch Lighthouse. We also went by a couple of small lighthouses on the clyde as well that we saw while on an excursion into Glasgow from the town the ships berth in.

Le Havre- there were some small harbor lights that we saw from the ship when we were there.

We were not at the other ports so I'll leave that for others to answer. I would imagine that just about entry or exit to each port would at the very least afford you some chnace to see some lighthouses, though

Here are some links to the parts of my report last year that deal with the areas I went to that you will be going to-

LH's of Le Havre

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=001069

LH's of Ireland

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=001070

LH's of Scotland

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=001071

LH's of Northern Ireland

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=001079

Hope this helps.

Dennis

Re: LIGHTHOUSES OF THE BRITISH ISLES #71220 10/07/07 01:59 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
John and Karen,

Here's a picture I took leaving port in Amsterdam.

I have been in most all the ports you mentioned but some are in more industrial areas where I didn't see lighthouses. Like Dennis said...sometimes you can just luck out and see some while you are cruising. There was a lightship in the port of Zeebrugge that was not far from where the ship docked.

Dennis and others have posted good pictures and information on this forum to check out.

Re: LIGHTHOUSES OF THE BRITISH ISLES #71221 10/07/07 05:20 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Lorie,

I even lucked out and happened to look out my cabin window just as we were passing Land's End Lighthouse on our way from Le Havre to Cork and got a photo of wolf Rock Lighthouse..

When I left for the trip I was sure of seeing one lighthouse that I was aware of- the LH in Donagadhee Northern Ireland. We ended up seeing 45 lighthouses and 1 lightship while on the cruise.

Dennis

Re: LIGHTHOUSES OF THE BRITISH ISLES #71222 10/07/07 10:53 PM
AZpharologist Offline
Wacko
Wacko
John&Karen: Covered some the ports: Dublin, Entering port, starboard side Bailey Light. Entering narrow ship channel, port side Poolbeg. At dock North Quay light. Belfast leaving port, starboard side Mews Light. Edinburgh Firth of Forth, inbound, portside Oxcar light, leaving port, starboard side Inchkeith light. Glasgow Forth of Clyde. on starboard side, Cloch Point near Greenoch dock. Leaving port, starboard side Towards Point. Le Havre just before entering port, port side Cape de le Heve light sits on headland. Zeebrugge,nothing of signicants, but down road at Blankenberge several lights at sea shore. Check out Lighthouse depot data site for complete data.

Art cheers

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,573 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users