Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Please help Olympic Penninsula/San Juan Islands #71216 08/16/99 09:55 PM
N
Noelle Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I need anyone's help on touring the lights of the Olympic Penn and the San Juan Islands.
I already read all about Art's trip, which was very helpful. But I also need info on what lights are child accessible, what ferries may come the closest to some of the lights on, and around the San Juans, and will connect me to the Olympic Penn.
I will be staying in Seattle for 7 days, but can only lighthouse hunt 2-3 days, and will be returning to Seattle after each day trip.
Any information would be great.
Thank you ,
Noelle

Re: Please help Olympic Penninsula/San Juan Islands #71217 08/17/99 04:18 PM
akmn Offline
Wacko
Wacko
One thing to remember when lighthousing in this area is that ferries almost always leave on schedule so DO NOT tempt fate and cut it close even on weekdays. My recent trip to the area was great but I missed the last Port Townsend ferry to Whidbey Island (where we stayed with friends). This caused us to rush to make the last ferry to Seattle in an attempt to reach the last Mukilteo to Whidbey ferry. We made it on the Seattle ferry but missed the Mukilteo one by five minutes and had to see it pull away from the dock without us. It was a long 2 hour trip up to Deception Pass and down Whidbey to Oak Harbor and I DO NOT recommend it especially after driving all day from Tillamook Oregon.

As far as lighthouses to see, definately take the Mukilteo-Clinton ferry and head over to the Whidbey Island-Port Townsend ferry to see Point Wilson and the old Marrowstone Point site. If your in to old forts check out the state parks these lighthouses are in. Fort Worden for Point Wilson Light and Fort Flager for Marrowstone Point. After visiting these two consider taking the Port Townsend-Whidbey Island ferry and going into Fort Casey State park, where you will find Admiralty Inlet Lighthouse. Continue up to the town of Coupeville which has a Harbour Lights dealer and many many other great little shops along the waterfront area. Leaving Whidbey via the Clinton-Mukilteo will bring you back to Seattle. Not to mention you get to see Mukilteo lighthouse twice! Good Luck on your trip and have a great time! I sure did

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,415 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users