Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Grand Haven, MI #71091 05/17/99 01:36 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Just back from Grand Haven MI and the Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers Association Lake Michigan conference. A fun day visiting Coast Guard Station Grand Haven, the lights at Grand Haven and Muskegon. Had 160 people from MI, IN, IL, WI and I,m sure more states in attendance.

One of the great benefits of participating in a group such as this was the opportunity to climb the inner light at Grand Haven and the light at Muskegon. The CG folks were very gracious in providing two people to open the towers for us. Maybe not as spectacular as other towers, but something that not too many people get the opportunity to do. Great views from the top of the lights.

The GLLKA folks do a conference on each of the Great Lakes each year as well as assorted other events. Well worth the minimal investment. A great time with lots of other lighthouse enthusiasts.

Today went on up to White River to get some spring time photos first time there was in January 98). The museum won't open till Memorial Day so we decided to go to the north side, across the channel, for pics from a different perspective.

Also went out to Big Red. Yes, we paid heed to Paul and others notes on how to get to the light itself. Not too bad a trip out, but there is NO parking. However, the good news is that the gated community has set aside 6 or so parking spaces just inside their grounds for lighthouse visitors to park at. The gate cop wasn't there when we arrived so we used one of the yacht club's spots; probably not a good thing to do this once the boating season opens up. They say they will tow your car. An easy 10-15 minute walk out to the light, and well worth it.

Pics should be back Tuesday. Have to see how they turn out.

Dave

Re: Grand Haven, MI #71092 05/17/99 02:42 PM
Lighthousedude Offline
Hello Dave,

Sounds like you had a great time!!

Maybe one of these years I'll make it out to Michigan to see some Great Lakes Lights.

Until then, do you know of any lighthouses out there that web sites?? A virtual tour is better than none.

Keep the Flame!

Re: Grand Haven, MI #71093 05/18/99 01:34 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Mike,
Here are some Michigan links to get started with

Linda's Lighthouse Page
http://umcc.ais.org/~lsa/

Beacons in the Night (History)
http://www.lib.cmich.edu/clarke/lhhist.htm

Soo Locks - makes the last 2 lakes usable
http://sparky.nce.usace.army.mil/SOO/soohmpg.html

Michigan portion of Great Lakes Circle Tour
http://www.glc.org/projects/circle/mi.html

I know there are more, just have to get them found. Crisp Point has one as do several others.

Dave

Re: Grand Haven, MI #71094 05/19/99 09:36 PM
L
lkeasyliving Offline
Wacko
Wacko
L
DAVE DID YOU HAPPEN TO HERE WHEN THE 2ND EDITION OF THE KEEPERS CARDS WILL BE OUT THEY WERE DO OUT 1ST OF MAY AND I HAVN'T SEEN THEM YET
LARRY

Larry
Re: Grand Haven, MI #71095 05/21/99 02:58 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Larry,
Did see some of the trading cards but don't remember any sign saying the new version was out. I would think dealers would advertise this if they had the new version. GLLKA was selling complete sets of cards for around $18-19.

Here are some pics you won't see too often-

Outer Grand Haven Light from the lantern of the Inner Light

and, people on the cat walk around the lantern of the Inner Light

Dave

Re: Grand Haven, MI #71096 05/21/99 03:31 AM
Art Offline
Cool photos, Dave. Thanks for posting.

-Art
Re: Grand Haven, MI #71097 05/21/99 12:07 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Thanks Dave for the photos. I have this model in my office with the large National Geographic print of her under heavy surf behind her. Model and picture fscing the same direction for effect.

I envy your trip. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Moby of Tidewater Virginia

Moby
Re: Grand Haven, MI #71098 05/22/99 11:16 AM
L
lkeasyliving Offline
Wacko
Wacko
L
NICE SHOTS DAVE, I HAVE THE FIRST SET JUST WAITING FOR THE 2ND TO COME OUT. KATHY AND I ARE DOING THE CRUISE IN JUNE AT PORT HURON AND THEN THE TWO CRUISES IN AUGUST IN MACKINAW. ALSO GOING TO THE FESTAVALS IN MACKINAW IN AUG. AND ALPENA IN OCT. A BUSY SUMMER WITH LIGHTS.
LARRY

Larry

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 794 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users