Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lighthousing with the Hannums #70883 04/01/02 06:54 PM
Kaiz Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
We met Dave (aka Bubba to me), Susan and Heather at their hotel in Erie PA at 9:00 a.m. Friday morning. Then it was off for a day of lighthousing. There would be pictures added, but I seem to be a jinx ... first photopoint and now webphotos...

We started at the Pier Head Light in Presque Isle State Park. In this park there is the Pier Head Light at one end -- across the water is the Erie Land Light (but we couldn't find it from the Pier Head) -- and on the Lake side is the Old Presque Isle Lighthouse (built in 1872). We walked along the beach at Old Presque -- seemed kinda strange to have sand and snow at one time. A park ranger lives in the keepers quarters of the Light. On our way out of the park, we stopped at the Nature Center to get our Passports Stamped. I guess we were lucky, because the woman at the shop wasn't "actually" working.

Then it was on to the Erie Land Light. After Dave driving by the street, we soon found the Erie Land Light...to bad they don't know how to bury telephone wires. It was hard to get a decent picture without wires or the smoke stacks of the building behind it. Interesting light that seems like a lot of work has been done to it.

Next it was on the Barcelona. Of course as soon as we hit New York State...there was a detour. So it was back on 90 to Barcelona. The lighthouse is a private residence and sits practically on top of the road. We pulled into the marina next door. Dave and Mike went exploring around the light while Susan, Heather and I stayed on "public property." To me this was an "okay" light...nothing spectacular.

Then it was back on Route 5 to Dunkirk. I was able to arrange to have the president of the society there to show us around. It really doesn't open for a month or so. They kept apologizing on how dirty everything was. They opened the museum up for us and let us climb the tower. They have done a lot for this lighthouse, but it needs some painting. The tower was an easy climb.

Then, because Heather was wasting away...we stopped for lunch.

We decided that we were running out of time so Buffalo would be our last lighthouse of the day. We only had one little driving incident trying to find the marina a...it seems that Mike and I went the wrong way on a one way street ... luckily Heather saw the sign and the Hannums didn't follow us! But we got turned around the right way and found our way to the marina which has a great view of the lighthouse across the "inner harbor".

On Saturday, we met them at Fort Niagara where we had arranged to have the tower opened. This way we could see how it wintered and what we would have to do for spring clean up. It really was a lot cleaner than we thought it would be. But it still needs to be painted / whitewashed before it can be opened to the public.

After lunch, we went home and they continued on to 30 mile point. On Easter Sunday, the Hannums went over to Canada lighthousing...Dave will have to tell about the lights they saw. They got held up in Customs and were "late for dinner" but the turkey survived it all and we had a good dinner with great friends.

Mike went to work today, but I took the day off to do a little more lighthousing with the Hannums. I met them at the hotel. It was a cold, grey spring morning here in Rochester. But we visited Braddock Bay Lighthouse -- which is a private residence but Dave took pictures from the van. Then it was off to Charlotte for some pictures. And then finally to Sodus Point Lighthouse. I tried to talk Dave into walking out to the pier light...but he wouldn't have anything to do with it. With the winds and waves it would have been impossible to get out there without going swimming. I left to return home and they were off to Oswego and Selkirk...then it was dinner with JJ and Mombo.

All in all, it was a great lighthousing weekend with friends.

[This message has been edited by Kaiz (edited 04-01-2002).]

Re: Lighthousing with the Hannums #70884 04/01/02 08:31 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Patty,

Thanks for the update.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence about those pictures.

Must be like the not being allowed in NJ thing that Dave was talking about.

Dennis

Re: Lighthousing with the Hannums #70885 04/02/02 01:19 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Well Patty I posted pictures of those lights last summer. They were on Photopoint so I guess you had to see them then!

Dave said when they got to Oswego and he got out of the van he practically blew away. They also made it up to Selkirk and Stony Point as well. I was hoping they could have stopped by my place on their way back to their hotel but Dave had forgotten my phone number at your place!

Did get together for a nice dinner with Dave, Susan, Heather and Jim Johnson.

Tomorrow they are off for New London, Conn. where they are going to visit the Coast Guard Academy. They will then ferry over to Long Island where they are planning to meet up with Bob Scroope. They will then see some L.I. lights before heading on to NJ.

Re: Lighthousing with the Hannums #70886 04/02/02 11:25 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the update Patty & Sue, I'll be looking for the crew on Wednesday pm.
- Bob

71 MGB

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Lighthousing with the Hannums #70887 04/04/02 11:45 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Spoke to Dave this morning on his way to Horton Pt. Had a lot of fog and rain on his ferry trip yesterday from New London to Orient Pt, so they didn't see what could have been on a bright sunny day like today! Planning to see Orient, Plum, Long Beach Bar, Cedar Pt, Montauk and meet me at Fire Island this afternoon on their way to NJ.
- Bob

85 Suburban and the Esterel

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Lighthousing with the Hannums #70888 04/04/02 06:12 PM
Torchbearer Offline
Thanks again Patty, Sue and Bob for the updates. One of these days I'm going to get to meet ol' Bubba in person. I'm actually surprised he got anywhere near New London considering he is a retired squid (said in all love of course) and the USCG academy is in New London. Look forward to hearing more.

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: Lighthousing with the Hannums #70889 04/04/02 07:38 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Bubba and Family just left Montauk LH at 3:40pm - heading for our meet at Fire Island at sunset. Bright clear skies, looking good!

Bob

87 - WS Tempe Diablo, Phoenix Municipal, Scottsdale, Tucson, is this heaven?

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 04-04-2002).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Lighthousing with the Hannums #70890 04/04/02 07:52 PM
Kaiz Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Actually Tim, they were taking Heather to visit the Coast Guard Academy...maight be one of her choices for after high school.

Re: Lighthousing with the Hannums #70891 04/05/02 01:00 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Nice skies with chilly weather greated the Hannum's at Fire Island. That didn't discourage their enthusiam as we treked the 1/2 mile on the nature trail boardwalk to the lighthouse. Lots of deer were graising in the sandunes, and Heather found some bunnies. Beautiful sunset reflected off the lighthouse. We had nice visit and dinner, and they were off to NJ at 8:30 pm. I'll see them again on Saturday at the NE Regional.
They're going to Sandy Point and Navesink tomorrow to hook up with some other WACKOS including Paul and Dennis.
- Bob

88 - Fenway, Arcadia and Cape Cod

LONG ISLAND BOB

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,420 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users