Next Thread
Print Thread
Oregon Lights and a Newfound Love #70835 01/01/02 06:45 PM
P
Pam Baggett Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hello everyone,
I know that I have not been on the forum in a while but once you read about my Oregon trip you will have and explanation and understand why.... Lighthouses used to remind me of solitude and loneliness because that was how my life was but since September thay have taken on a whole new meaning.........

The Beginning

On July 28th I went on a blind date.

Of course I had nothing to talk about but my interest of lighthouses. With all the enthusiasm I have for them I did just that. My date, Billy was fascinated with the passion I had talking about them. A couple of week later he expressed a desire to take me to visit some lights. He said he had to see just what these lighthouses were all about. He wanted to see my face "light up", as he knew it would, when I would see one.

Not really knowing him, I still consented to think about it. He asked me where I would like to go and I told him Oregon (thinking that would be too far, and so expensive, that he would never do it). But much to my surprise he agreed!!! I could not believe it!!!. Having known him for only a month I was planning a trip to Oregon.!?!?

We had several dates and phone conversations, which lead me to believe Billy and I might have a future together. But I knew that it all depended on this trip to Oregon. I knew that he would have to have an interest in lighthouses to be any part of my life. I knew that he would have to fall in love with them as well as me. My work was cut out for me.

The Plans

We could spend only two day in Oregon so planning was crucial. I wanted to see all the lights in Oregon. Heceta Head, Coquille River, Yaquina Head, and Yaquina Bay, Umpqua River, Arago, Cape Mears, Cape Blanco and Tillamock. All seamed possible except Tillamock as is in such a remote location it might make it difficult. But we could make all the rest if the planning was done right.

One thing I wanted to do was to stay at Heceta Head B&B. I was sure that the chances of him falling in love with lighthouses would be greater if he could stay at one. I took a chance and called to make arrangements. Luckily they had an opening on just the date we needed. It was almost as if it was meant to be. Right from the start things began to fall into place and work out in our favor. Reservations were made, timing was measured, routes were figured out and the trip was all set to go. Now for the hard part…..Waiting.

The anticipation of waiting to see the lights and waiting to see if Billy would love lighthouses as much as I do was more than I could bear. The days leading up to the trip were filled with anxiety and excitement. I was excited because I never dreamed that I would get to go to Oregon or a least not this soon. The anxiety was intense because of the wondering if I could make Billy love the lights and me at the same time.

I warned Billy that lighthousing was a grueling task - Up early in the morning, driving from place to place, trampling all around the grounds and waiting for just the right picture would be something that only a true lighthouser would have the patience for. He had to know that loving lighthouses not to mention loving a lighthouser would prove to be more challenging than he might have expected.

In the wake of the most tragic terrorist act ever, of September 11, 2001, this trip could have been altogether impossible. But to spite the advice of family and friends we got on the plane headed to Oregon. I was determined to see just how this relationship would develop.

The flight was long, but we passed the time with plenty of talking and lots of kissing. I would bet that everyone on the plane thought we were acting like two young newlyweds. We laughed and gazed into each other's eyes as if we were already in love. But in fact we had yet to fully discover that feeling.

The Lights

Arriving late on the evening of September 18th we decided to stay in Portland and start out early the next morning. We began the day with a two-hour drive from Portland to the coast. As we drove we admired the evergreen covered mountainsides and the farmland. We were awe struck at our first sight of the coastline and the Pacific Ocean. The beauty of it all was overwhelming.

Cape Mears would be Billy's first light. Approaching the light all you could see was the top. This charming light is nestled in the cliff overlooking the vast waters beyond. We spent some time watching the morning mist dissipate and the waves crash against the rocky shoreline. Of course we took pictures of the light and all it's charm. At least Billy was fascinated enough to want to continue.

Yaquina Head light would be the next stop. Standing as the tallest tower on the Oregon coast you could see this light from some distance. Its presence was known even though scaffolding was being constructed to begin painting and repair work. We were disappointed that we were not able to climb the tower. We bonded through that disappointment because I knew he was truly interested. We walked down to the volcanic rock shoreline to watch the sea lions frolic. Their playfulness was infectious. The wind was strong that day and the waves were high. We let the waves chase us and laughed as they sometimes caught us as we stopped to take pictures of the majestic Yaquina Head Light.

A short drive down the coast and we were at Yaquina Bay. Just another lighthouse? I thought so at first, but this light had a fascination all its own. Different from the rest, the light tower is built into the keeper's home. It was filled with historic displays of the keeper's life. Brief thoughts of a time long ago brought to mind how difficult it must have been without all the modern conveniences, but as you looked out the second floor window toward a spectacular view you had to wonder - - - -

"what a full-filling reward for the keeper's hard work and dedication".

Heceta Head has been described as picturesque, enchanting, and the most romantic place existence. Once I saw it I was certain that was true!

We arrived around 3:30 pm. We had plenty of time to check in, tour the light, take pictures, sight see, eat dinner and be back to catch the sunset.

Pictures I had seen in books and on the internet were the reason I wanted to go to Oregon. Many times I tried to duplicate these pictures. But one picture eluded me. A shot from behind and above the tower could not be gotten from the vantage points accessible to the public. I was determined to get that shot. This meant that we would have to climb the hillside beyond the fenced area. It was not recommended by the curator but was not forbidden either. We began to ascend the steep elevation but the wind was so strong and I felt it too treacherous to go any further. I had to retreat but Billy braved the 40mph + winds and the danger of injury to the point of no return and succeeded in obtaining that picture for me. I knew then he was a true lighthouser!

It was near dusk so we walked back up the to the lighthouse. We wanted to watch the sunset from the base of the light. The sky went from a perfect-day blue to bright yellow and orange, then to the soft shades of pink and purple as the sun set on the horizon. Never a more beautiful sunset will I ever see! We sat beneath the lighthouse in each other's arms as darkness came and the beams of light were cast out into the boundless sky and sea. We held each other for the longest time talking, planning and admitting our feelings. At that moment Billy confessed it would be impossible not to fall completely and hopelessly in love with lighthouses and me after being at Heceta Head. What a perfect ending to a perfect day and what a wonderful beginning to a wonderful life together!

Breakfast the following morning was fabulous. The food was excellent and the opportunity to talk to other lighthouse enthusiast was inspiring. We hated to leave that morning but we had more lights to explore. As we wound around the mountainside and looked back to take that last look at Heceta Head we were sure that it would have a special place in our hearts forever.

Driving along the Pacific Coast Highway 101 was an exhilarating experience. On one side of the road there was the beautiful ocean and beaches and on the other side the magnificent mountains. The sight of these two wonders together was awesome!

The guide for Umpqua River was the best in giving the facts of how and why a lighthouse exists. Gaining information from an expert was important because this of course, is all part of the interest and attraction you have for them.

The story of how the Coquille River light served as a lifesaver during the fire that consumed the small town of Bandon added to the reasons we have such an adoration for these beacons of light.

Cape Blanco is where kisses are magical. This is true, it happened to us. As we ventured out to the "furthest point on the west coast" we were engulfed in a late afternoon fog. It was so dense that it was surely going to ruin any chances of viewing the light and all it's coastal surroundings. But we were there and made the best of the situation. We took a few shots of the white tower through the heavy haze and then climbed to the top for the tour. We listened to the tour guide tell us of how these fogs rolled in and lasted for days and we realized we may not get the opportunity to view anything but a murky mist. With nothing to see at the top of this light we directed our glances at each other and began to kiss. Even though the guide and other visitors were present, it felt as if there was no one there but us. This kiss lasted until the guide had finished talking and when our lips parted we looked out to notice the fog was beginning to lift. Nothing but the magic of that kiss could have made the fog disappear! We were able to see a clear view of the landscape, coastline and all it's beauty. We descended the tower and seized the moment once again with a kiss. Those kisses lifted the fog and melted our hearts. Kissing at Cape Blanco was truly magical for us.

Cape Arago was the last light on our excursion. We thoroughly enjoyed the quest to find this obscure lighthouse. We were not able to get very close but the remoteness gave it a mysterious quality that made it ever more appealing. As we left the last light, we shared the sadness of knowing our trip was over but also the joy of knowing that other lighthouse journeys were surely in our future together. The plan was executed perfectly and the trip proved to have been a success. Each light was unique and captivated us in an indescribable way. Every light offered it's own way of drawing us closer and more in love with lighthouses and each other than we could imagine.

The Newfound Love

Choosing Oregon was absolutely an inspiration. The weather was wonderful. The landscape is breathtaking. The lights were everything from quaint to majestic, charming to stately. The time together was bonding. All of this combined truly formed a newfound love for the location, the lighthouses and for each other. We will return to Oregon someday but until that time we will have the memory of knowing that Oregon was the perfect place to fall in love with lighthouses and each other!

Sorry for the length of the story but that only touches the surface.. So much more could have been said.
Nonetheless I will keep in touch

Pam

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 01-01-2002).]

Pam B.
Re: Oregon Lights and a Newfound Love #70836 01/01/02 07:00 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome back, Pam. Do I hear fog signal bells ringing?

I added some paragraph spacing to aid in reading of your wonderful story.

Re: Oregon Lights and a Newfound Love #70837 01/01/02 07:10 PM
JoAnn Offline
Pam,What a beautiful love story!Yes Oregon is magical,that's why we chose the Or coast to retire to-a never ending magic.Let me know when you are in the area and I'll direct you to more magic!

Re: Oregon Lights and a Newfound Love #70838 01/01/02 07:28 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Wow!

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Oregon Lights and a Newfound Love #70839 01/01/02 08:55 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Congrats Pam, you couldn't have picked a more beautiful area to discover your true love.
There is a picture of Pam here: http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum25/HTML/000063.html
Jim
Johnson

Re: Oregon Lights and a Newfound Love #70840 01/02/02 01:33 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Great story Pam!

Re: Oregon Lights and a Newfound Love #70841 01/02/02 11:57 AM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Very nice story Pam! I hope everthing works out for the two of you in the future!

Re: Oregon Lights and a Newfound Love #70842 01/02/02 02:02 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Pam, we missed you! I guess you've answered our questions about what you've been doin'.
Thanks for sharing! Couldn't happen to a nicer person! Does Derith approve? lol
- Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Oregon Lights and a Newfound Love #70843 01/02/02 02:55 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
That's a better excuse for absence than the ones my son used to write for himself when he skipped school, lol!

Best of luck to you and Billy!

Re: Oregon Lights and a Newfound Love #70844 01/02/02 06:01 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Hi Pam,
Looks like you have been occupied with the "lovebug" since we last saw each other. I will completley agree with you and every word about the Oregon lights. My favorite is Heceta Head, glad you like it too.

It should be an added bonus to see the lighthouses with someone you love. When I come to Clarksville again I'll have to meet this gent. Knowing you, if he meets your criteria, he is fine. Thanks for sharing your love story with us all.

Derith

Re: Oregon Lights and a Newfound Love #70845 01/02/02 08:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for sharing Pam. I felt almost like I was intruding reading your story.

terry

[This message has been edited by tarbaby (edited 01-02-2002).]

Re: Oregon Lights and a Newfound Love #70846 01/28/02 05:19 AM
chris g Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I met Pam at Camera World in Clarksville, TN in August 1999 while we were passing through the south. I happened to see one of her posts on the forum and decided to stop in to visit her at work. It was a funny thing, as I had never met her, but seemed to be able to pick her out of the many employees there that day (and not by her name tag either). She seemed so friendly that I just knew that she had to be the right one (aren't all of us wackos??). She has a sparkling and infectious personality and is so fortunate to have found love! Congratulations Pam!

[This message has been edited by chris g (edited 01-30-2002).]

Chris G
Re: Oregon Lights and a Newfound Love #70847 01/28/02 11:25 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
That's Pam to a "T", Chris!
Well said.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Oregon Lights and a Newfound Love #70848 01/31/02 02:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nice story! Sounds similar to my Fiancee and myself. We hope to marry at Heceta Head.

Best wishes,

Ned

Re: Oregon Lights and a Newfound Love #70849 01/31/02 03:29 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Congratulations Ned!

WOW! What a great place to tie the knot!

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 821 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users