Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Maine Lighthousing - Part 1 #70774 07/03/03 10:46 PM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
On Sunday, June 29th Linda and I headed north to Maine. Leaving Boston on Rt. 93 we drove over the new Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge.

This bridge is very impressive, especially at night when it’s lit with blue lights. Some
sections of the Big Dig are actually completed including the northbound tunnel and the extention of I90 which makes it much easier to get to Logan Airport.

Our first stop was in Wells. Since we got off to a late start and hadn’t eaten we went to the Maine Diner for a hearty breakfast at almost lunchtime before taking in the Lighthouse Depot. In retrospect we probably should have gone there hungry and I might not have spent so much money! It was fun to finally get to the Depot and I had a chance to chat with John Lovely, the store manager whom I’d met at the Connecticut Regional in 2001.

Then we returned to I95 and went directly to Portland where we went to the Portland Observatory (1807).

When we entered the building it was like deja vue as I remembered it being exactly as it was when I was there with my Dad many years before. Linda and I, along with another couple were given a very informed guided tour which included some of the history of Portland. It was easy to see how the placement of the tower on Munjoy Hill enabled the observer to see the approach of vessels to the harbor. The tower has been beautifully
restored and the lantern room is completely new. The view from the walkway was great and we could see the Portland Breakwater Light and Portland Head. Spring Point Ledge would have been visible if a rather large rusty boat hadn’t been blocking it.

After stopping for a cold drink we headed south to view the Portland Breakwater Lighthouse. It took us a while to determine that the bridge we needed to cross was indeed the one we first thought was not the correct bridge. So we spent some time driving up and down Commercial Street which was bustling with activity. By the time
we got onto the bridge we had to wait a bit longer to cross it.

We finally arrived at the lighthouse which was built in the 1870’s and replaced an earlier
wooden light. There is some detail missing from the top of a couple of the columns.

There were some folks flying kites. This guy had the best one.

Go to Part 2

Re: Maine Lighthousing - Part 1 #70775 07/03/03 11:02 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
More awesome photos, Sue!

Jim
Re: Maine Lighthousing - Part 1 #70776 07/05/03 02:19 PM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Mombo - Great Pictures! My wife and I probably walked right by you and didn't know who you were! Were you on the Maine leg of your trip last Sunday?

If so we were there. We headed north on Saturday and after a stop at Lighthouse Depot, we again headed north and came to a stop at the Howard Johnson's Hotel in S. Portland.

We stayed overnight and on Sunday headed for Portland Head Light, Two Lights at Cape Elizabeth, the Portland Breakwater (Bug Light) and last but not least, the Spring Point Ledge Light! I think we hit all the same places as you except we didn't get to see the Portland Observatory (close up). I did take a picture of it from a distance but haven't got my film back yet!

It sure was a beautiful weekend for lighthousing! I'm sure we even saw the same man with the kites!

We had been to all of these same lights in January, the only difference was about a 65 degree difference in the temperature and this time I didn't get to climb the tower at Portland Head!

All my best,
Paul Conlin
Acting Secretary,
American Lighthouse Foundation

Help Save Our Lighthouses!

Become a part of the
American Lighthouse Foundation
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

www.lighthousefoundation.org
Re: Maine Lighthousing - Part 1 #70777 07/05/03 10:20 PM
DMancini Offline
I guess I was in the area just a few days before you were! Your photos are great, Sue!

Diane
Re: Maine Lighthousing - Part 1 #70778 07/06/03 01:59 AM
buster Offline
Great pictures smile

Member of NELL/AFL/OBLHS/FPHL
Re: Maine Lighthousing - Part 1 #70779 07/06/03 12:18 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Enjoyed your photos, Sue! Thank you for sharing!

Judy smile

Judy

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,763 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users