Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hudson River Lights #70609 05/20/07 03:56 PM
LADYBUG Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Al & I are going to be in the area in July. Is it possible to see the lights along the Hudson River in one day? Any information on viewing these lights would be most helpful. Thanks.
Darlene

Re: Hudson River Lights #70610 05/20/07 08:46 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
This link will give you detailed info:

http://www.hudsonriver.com/lighthouses.htm

And, yes, all can be seen in one day by car--long day, but doable nonetheless.

A question for you--how many lighthouses can be seen by car in the Seattle, WA area over a 2-day period? We're flying into Seattle on 6/06 and leaving for an Alaska Expedition on 6/09 from Seattle. The plan is to rent a car and drive to as many Seattle-area Lighthouses as we can get to without stressing ourselves. Any thoughts?

Sandy

Re: Hudson River Lights #70611 05/23/07 10:26 PM
lmyhre Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Sandy - Since Darlene hasn't answered your question, I'll answer since I also live in the Seattle area. You can easily see the following lights in two days with a rental car:

Browns Point - Tacoma
Point Robinson - Vashon Island (actually Maury Is)
Alki Point - Seattle
West Point - Seattle
Mukilteo - Mukilteo
Admirality Head - Whidbey Island
Point Wilson - Port Townsend
possibly Point-No-Point - Hansville on the return.

You'd have to take several ferries to do this route (I'd suggest doing them in the order I have listed). Take a look at a map and you should be able to see how to get to the various places including the ferry routes, highways, etc. It would also be a very scenic trip in much of the route.

Let me know if you'd like any further information.

Larry

Re: Hudson River Lights #70612 05/24/07 01:41 AM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!
vhappy vhappy vhappy vhappy
Sandy

Re: Hudson River Lights #70613 05/24/07 02:32 AM
LADYBUG Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks Larry for responding to Sandy. Sandy I have some detailed instructions that I will send off to you via email in the next couple of days. Also I would be most happy to give you a personal tour of the Mukilteo Light if you wish.

Thanks Sandy for letting me know about the Hudson River Lights -- I think we will attempt the one day shot; trip is still in the planning stages and we are trying to get a couple lighthouse cruises in as well while we are back in that area in July.

Darlene

Re: Hudson River Lights #70614 05/24/07 04:24 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Darlene,

The trip from Jeffrey's Hook to Hudson-Athens will be about 150 miles one-way and about 3 1/2 hours travel time. You'd need to add on whatever time it will take you to get to the foot of the George Washington Bridge.

You will need to cross the river from the NYC side to the wesr shore after viewing Jeffrey's Hook the rest of the lights can be seen best from the Western shore of the Hudson.

The return trip should take less time- depending on where you are going to.

Jeffrey's Hook is one that you will have difficulty with- there isn't much parking near the trail to it and it's in an area that you might not feel comfortable walking down to.

Tarrytown is easily seen from the Tappan Zee Bridge and from several vantage points in Sleepy hollow (Tarrytown). It's in a county park and sometimes it's difficult for non-County residents to get into the park.

Stony Point is a short walk from the parking lot-probably 15 minutes one way. It's not open often though. Nice views of the hudson, though

Kingston -Roundout ccan be seen by walking down some old train tracks in a city park. It's about a 5-10 minute walk from where you park your car.

Esopus Meadows can be seen right off of a small- very small- park right on the river.

Saugerties can be walked out to- if the tide is cooperative. It takes about 5-10 minutes one way from the parking area.

Hudson -Athens can be seen from several vantage points on either side of the river.

Hope this helps.

For specifics on directions use this site- the directions there are very good- or use a GPS and put in the coordinates they give you there.

http://lighthousefriends.com/

Dennis

Re: Hudson River Lights #70615 05/24/07 07:52 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Darlene I went many times to Jeffreys hook but on Sunday morning and never had a hard time with parking. I dont know if it is luck or not. There are usually people riding their bicycles or jogging and I never ws afraid to go. Except when the retaing wall feel on the highway. Just dont go on the little beach. Little furry things. That was last year.
Tarrytown is in a park and again I never had a problem with parking. Check out lighthouse Friends they have good directions. Just remeber to go over the little bridge the RR station is on the right the park is on the left, You dont see it till you go over the bridge. Hudson Athens you need a long zoom.

Re: Hudson River Lights #70616 05/26/07 12:03 AM
LADYBUG Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks Dennis for the information. I love lighthousefriends and when traveling to lighthouses, I have found their directions to be excellent. They were very helpful when Teresa and I were in New Orleans last month. I have Microsoft's Streets and Trips program and plug in their coordinates to get more specific directions to the lights. Jeffrey's Hook was not on our list this trip simply because of its location.

Thanks Fran for your email. I have a 300 zoom and Al has a 500 zoom for our digital cameras and we usually do just fine seeing those lighthouses off in the distance. Thank goodness for nice zooms. applaud

Re: Hudson River Lights #70617 05/26/07 12:40 AM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
You are definitely covered. Enjoy the trip.

Re: Hudson River Lights #70618 05/26/07 01:05 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Don't mention- always glad to be of asisitance.

I know that if I ask questions i hope somebody who knows will give me the answers.

Dennis

Re: Hudson River Lights #70619 05/27/07 03:34 PM
LADYBUG Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Sandy
Check your email. I sent you some information last night. Let me know if you got it ok or want some additional information.
Darlene

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 856 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users