In the interests of completeness, I've posted pictures and a link to the whole album of the lighthouses I saw on this trip in other Topics. This includes

Tybee Island (51 photos because it also includes the lighthouse keepers houses) ( Grand Turk (25 photos) and Santa Marta (22 photos)

But when we went to Manta, I lumped that somewhat unimpressive lighthouse in with other South American ones, so I'm presenting it again along with some more narrative.

We came in to Manta Ecuador quite early in the morning I wanted to see if there were any lighthouses in Manta. I knew there was a port lighthouse there, but wasn't able to see from the internet if there were any others. Problem was, we were supposed to get to Manta at 0600. We set the alarm for 0545, but I heard noises of slowing down about 0500 so I jumped up and grabbed my camera and put a dress on over my nightgown. I couldn't find my room key, so I just left the door ajar and ran out on deck barefoot, although I did have my glasses. (Bob later complained about this but I figured it was safer than trying to get him to wake up and let me in.)

It was still QUITE dark, but there were lights in the city and in the port. I could see fishing boats and even a sailboat crossing behind us in the dark. I took a lot of pictures of what I thought was a lighthouse, but which later turned out to be kind of a control tower on a large tuna fishing boat.

When there was a little more light, I did see the harbor light which was a red and white striped tower with two little red lights on the top.

This picture shows it on the breakwater on the other side of some of the smaller tuna boats.

When we got docked, it was almost right outside the window of our cabin

When we left the port the only way I could see the lighthouse was as a black shape against the lights of the city and the other boats.

The rest of the photos are here.

Manta Ecuador (22 photos)