Next Thread
Print Thread
Ohio Day Trips, SE FL Summer Vacation #70209 04/05/99 11:12 PM
T
Travis E. Elmore Offline OP
OP Offline
T
For any experienced LH visitors.

I live in Dayton OH, so it would seem that a day trip to Great Lakes LHs would be feasible, or maybe a weekend. Any suggestions on which ones to make sure I catch from someone who lives in the area or knows it?

Also going on a vacation for about a week to the Space Coast area of FL. Ditto question above, except more time available to tour.

Also, any general dos and don'ts with respect to protocol, logistics, et al?

Thanks in advance,
Travis

Light On!
Trav1
Re: Ohio Day Trips, SE FL Summer Vacation #70210 04/05/99 11:58 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
For your Florida trip check this link for some ideas-
http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum15/HTML/000006.html

Depending on how "fast" you tour, probably could do the lights north of the Cape one day, south another. All are wonderful to visit. The two I would not miss are St. Augustine and Ponce Inlet. Both are wonderfully restored and have museums. Jupiter Inlet, Hillsboro Inlet and Cape Florida are also very beautiful and enjoyable. Hilsboro was a bit of a challenge to find.

For the northern Ohio coast--
We leave about 50 miles north of Indianapolis. Last Easter (98) we went from Marblehead to Erie, PA and home (from Thursday evening to Sunday afternoon). There are several that we saw but were not able to enjoy museum since we were there ahead of season. I would think you could pretty easily do the OH lights in a weekend. Be sure to get a copy of Penrose's book "A Traveler's Guide to Eastern Great Lakes Lighthouses" for about $15 - its' a good investment.

We just got back from a trip up along Lake Huron East shore (Canada) and some of Michigan's thumb. I would think you could also do a weekend trip (maybe a long weekend) to parts of Michigan without too much trouble. You might also be able to head over further along the south shore of Lake Erie and get as far as some of the NY lights??

Have fun, share your trip with everyone

Dave

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,162 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users